It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michele Bachman Becomes Swiss Citizen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Michele Bachmann Becomes Swiss Citizen

The Minnesota congresswoman and former Republican presidential candidate was recently granted dual citizenship, Bachmann's office confirmed Tuesday night, according to CNN.

"Congresswoman Bachmann's husband is of Swiss descent so she has been eligible for dual-citizenship since they got married in 1978," spokeswoman Becky Rogness said in a statement. "However, recently some of their children wanted to exercise their eligibility for dual-citizenship so they went through the process as a family."

Wasn't she just running for POTUS? But all that time she must have been working on this dual citizenship thing with Switzerland. I mean .. those things don't happen overnight, right? Some folks would say this is no big deal. I disagree. She sat there on camera chatting up being an American, but all the while her loyalties were divided. You can't have a POTUS with divided loyalties.

Dual citizen as a regular citizen .. sure. NOT as someone who wanted to be POTUS.
Sorry, but her action smells like dead fish ....

eta .. I did the search but didn't see this anywhere else ...
edit on 5/9/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
kudos to her

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I agree don't think
people participating in a country's politics
should hold dual citizenship.
where does their loyalty lay

I'm working on my 2nd citizenship
but I'm a working stiff, grinding away...

yes it takes time ...not over night [unless you have ton of money]

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Originally posted by spoonbender
I'm working on my 2nd citizenship

Just curious..., Are your loyalties divided? Because I don't think having a dual citizenship necessarily means one's loyalties are divided. After all, there are plenty of people whose citizenship is 100% of the United States, yet their loyalties are questionable... Citizenship isn't necessarily an indicator of loyalty.

I can see myself having a Swedish citizenship if my husband was a Swede. Simply to have the access to visit the other country unencumbered. When we see people from other countries as our enemies or something to be feared or not trusted, it's an indication of the fear-based society in which we live...

If Michele Bachmann wants to have dual citizenship, I don't see the problem.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Typical American reaction. How dare she become a citizen of another country, it must mean she hates america huh?

Blind Patriotism is quite a cult in the U.S of A.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't think having a dual citizenship necessarily means one's loyalties are divided.

For the average citizen .. it's fine. But for someone who wants to be POTUS .. it's not.
The POTUS has to put America first in all cases.
Having dual citizenship means divided loyalties by it's very nature.

The thing is, this didn't happen overnight. She had to be thinking about it and working on it
for a while. That means divided loyalties even while she was trying to become POTUS.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Now she has public healthcare

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Why should anyone have dual-citizenship? The whole idea of such a thing is ridiculous. It's as silly as wanting to consider yourself married AND single, so you can have all the support and benefits of a spouse, but being able to go out and mess around whenever you like.

Dual citizenships should not only not be recognized by the US, they should not be allowed. She and anyone else claiming citizenship of another country in conjunction with their US citizenship, should have to renounce one.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
ABC News

Really Nutty!! She is now withdrawing her dual citizenship because she's in a re-election race.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Actually...She has been a dual citizen for 30 years!

Rep. Michele Bachmann tried to downplay her dual U.S.-Swiss citizenship Wednesday, releasing a statement that asserts she has actually been a dual citizen since 1978.

“I automatically became a dual citizen of the United States and Switzerland in 1978 when I married my husband, Marcus. Marcus is a dual American and Swiss citizen because he is the son of Swiss immigrants. As a family, we just recently updated our documents,”

Read more: www.politico.com...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
She's a complete idiot for renouncing her Swiss citizenship. A dual nationality is like an insurance policy. In case SHTF in one country, you can still travel or get out of dodge.

She won the dumbest person of the week award for doing that...

www.sovereignman.com...
edit on 22-5-2012 by TheBandit795 because: (no reason given)

More info on why a second citizenship is not a luxury anymore:

www.theresilientfamily.com...
edit on 22-5-2012 by TheBandit795 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join