It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

What the school should do is let him back with his shirt. And let him wear it until it falls from decay from his body. There is a valuable lesson in all of this and I'm surprised the school hasn't figured it out. It teaches the youth tolerance and you can't achieve results by just complaining. Not in the real world after school, that's for sure.

Second, the kid gets to say what he wants and will get bored. And I say to anyone who finds it offensive in the first place. When you take the higher road, you're untouchable. A shirt reading "life without frogs is wasted" is exactly what I see here on the same token

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
When I was going to high school, one guy (not me) wore a tee shirt with an upside down cross on it. You see, he was a Catholic and his favorite Saint was Saint Peter. He was also not obnoxious at all and always said something nice about people.

Most of the high school got upset at him because they thought it was a Satanic symbol, not knowing that the upside down cross is a symbol of Saint Peter. It's his symbol because he was crucified upside down.

The next day he was beat up by a bunch of people. And after that I kept on hearing other students laugh about how they put that retarded Satanist in his place. After that the guys 'family moved out of town.

So please, don't tell me Christians aren't going to get upset if someone wore a pro Satan tee shirt if this crap happens.

Edit:

That was thirty years ago.
edit on 3-5-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Actually, that's a perfect example of how a misunderstanding can lead to exactly the wrong assumptions, and thus the wrong decisions.

Try viewing this case in such a light, if you guys would. See how it strikes you then.
edit on CThursdaypm585813f13America/Chicago03 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I would not have complained about it. Because I believe a person does not have the right to not be offended, and I have a thicker skin than most people. Unlike most people I don't get offended at the drop of a hat.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Those people are just religious. They are not true followers of Christ. Religion and truly following Christ are polar opposites. The very few people in my life that I know for sure are truly following Christ teachings would never do what you describe not only that, they would step in and protect this person. Just as Jesus did when the Jewish folks were going to stone the adulteress woman in the new testament. You see? Please don't confuse followers of Christ with religious zealots again they completely oppose one another. Jesus explain this over and over and even bottom lined it with " Love god with all you heart mind soul body and love those around you as yourself. The only commandment he left was to "love one another". Do you see how the actions of these people in no way reflect the true teachings of Christ? It's a no brainer

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I agree with you on the count that the school probably shouldn't have bitten and let it go, I do think the kid has a chip on his shoulder of some kind and a point to prove, and he's going about it the wrong way be he right or wrong in his views and beliefs.

It's all rather petty, he is being stubborn and pig headed, every school, club, institute and even country has its rules and laws and they're to be obeyed regardless or there are consequences, often they're unfair or down right stupid but what can you do?

But I don't think the school should back down now, it's kinda too late for that - if they do then it's a message to other students, you can break and change the rules. Sure some students might have complained and gotten their way, he might be able to pursue it legally and win, but until such times the school has every right to lay down the law with regards to this student being suspended.

It's all a storm in a teacup, really...I bet this guy is enjoying the attention this whole affair has brought him, and in some respects he's achieved what he set out to and gotten his message out to more people than he probably thought he would at first.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by firegoggles

If one truly exists, only God can determine who is a true Christian or isn't one.

God was no pacifist.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by samerulesapply
I agree with you on the count that the school probably shouldn't have bitten and let it go, I do think the kid has a chip on his shoulder of some kind and a point to prove, and he's going about it the wrong way be he right or wrong in his views and beliefs.

It's all rather petty, he is being stubborn and pig headed, every school, club, institute and even country has its rules and laws and they're to be obeyed regardless or there are consequences, often they're unfair or down right stupid but what can you do?

But I don't think the school should back down now, it's kinda too late for that - if they do then it's a message to other students, you can break and change the rules. Sure some students might have complained and gotten their way, he might be able to pursue it legally and win, but until such times the school has every right to lay down the law with regards to this student being suspended.

It's all a storm in a teacup, really...I bet this guy is enjoying the attention this whole affair has brought him, and in some respects he's achieved what he set out to and gotten his message out to more people than he probably thought he would at first.

I hope you read my posts in this thread. So I won't repeat all the things i have said to point out the difference between someone who is following Christ's teachings and someone that is merely being "religious".

But I will say that even as a follower of Christ myself I completely agree with your post. I'll cut some slack because he's young but in my opinion he's just being religious and the whole thing is dumb.

I blame the churches for teaching rubbish and prompting people to shove the faith down peoples necks! It is not the way to try and get people to reconnect to "The Source/God."

edit on 5/3/2012 by firegoggles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

If one truly exists, only God can determine who is a true Christian or isn't one.

God was no pacifist.

I'm not questioning the fact of his salvation. Christ died for all men it's a done deal.

I'm saying these are "religious actions" that don't line up with the teachings of Christ. But his soul as will all mens have been purchased by the sacrifice of Christ.

As far as God not being a pacifist. That's a huge can of worms but I'll say this would lead us into the realm of God's duality and how he had to divide "nothingingness" at creation to start the whole shebang! This stuff is heavy and a bit left of center for the OP at hand!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Yeah, I've been reading along, you've made many valid points. I had some behavioural problems at school and if I'm honest I did a lot worse than this guy - done some things I regret and ain't proud of so I can't condemn some lad who worse a tee-shirt with some slogan on it.

I think the smartest thing this kid could do would be to relent and try to abide by the rules until he leaves school with a decent education behind him, or perhaps find another school. Even if the school do let him return it will probably have other consequences that are as of yet not obviously apparent...he's now a minor local celebrity...famous, or infamous depending on your view point.

Just a sad state of affairs all together if you ask me.

I didn't like it but at my school there was a uniform and all children had to wear it and it was becase of various issues, nobody liked wearing it but it saves this kind of nonsense and other things like kids being bullied because their parents couldn't afford to dress them in the latest, expensive designer crap.

Now I can see why it's probably the best policy for schools to impose some kind of standard dress code.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Sooo Annee, people were offended by a Christian t shirt. Now you are on the other side of the issue. It's not ok for Christian students to walk out of a journalism conference when a crusader piles on the criticism of the bible, but now you say that some people got offended by the t shirt and you are on their side.
Boo hoo

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Starchild23
I'm not Judaic in any way, and yet I will say that I believe this to be wrong. It's not a gang slogan, it's not a hateful message or slandering anyone, it's spreading a perfectly peaceful and happy message out...

Did you read the article?

There were complaints. People were offended.

You KNOW if a student wore a pro Satan shirt - - - there would be a lot more complaints from Christians.

AND those Christians would think they were in the right to ban the student and the shirt.

You can't have it both ways - - - just because your viewpoint is "Jesus is about Peace and Love". Not everyone agrees.

No problem lets ban anything religious right? No Muslim scarfs, no red dots or ash crosses on foreheads during religious times, make children eat pork,ground beef,unKosher food ect. The only people who ever seem to have a problem with that religion are the people who don't practice it but if we banned their children from voicing their religious beliefs it would be a crime.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Annee

You can interpret a lot of things as hate. The fact schools don't teach religion can be called hate too...educational discrimination. But see, there's a choice of how to view it.

Always a choice.

No public school should be teaching religion.

Belief - non-belief is personal and individual. That is why you Choose which church to go to.

That was a ludicrious point! Where in allowing a person to wear a shirt, voicing thier beliefs/opinions, does it become qualified as the school teach ing religion?

It isn't but what is new with the atheist crowd? See now the shoe is on the other foot.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by Annee

Sooo Annee, people were offended by a Christian t shirt. Now you are on the other side of the issue. It's not ok for Christian students to walk out of a journalism conference when a crusader piles on the criticism of the bible, but now you say that some people got offended by the t shirt and you are on their side.
Boo hoo

I'm tired of this revolving door.

Shoving the same questions at me over and over and over in multiple threads - - - - by rephrasing the wording does not change my viewpoint on anything.

When did I say Christian students couldn't walk out?
Savage showed the hypocrisy of Leviticus.
I support 100% separation of church and state. No religion in public school. Therefore no Jesus shirt.
The article said people were offended by the shirt. Read the article.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'm all for freedom of expression in the form of the T-shirt. This kid should continue to show up to school wearing that shirt as soon as his suspension is over.

I also support the following T-shirt messages:

"Life is wasted with Jesus"

"Life is wasted without Allah"

"Life is wasted with religion"

"Life is wasted without religion"

"Jesus is a myth"

"Mohammed was a drunken pedophile" (caution: this one may get your head cut off)

"Jesus was a homosexual"

"Religious people are delusional"

"Atheists are evil"

"Islam sucks" (also may get you hurt and/or killed)

"Dyslexics of the world untie"

I recommend wearing each of these shirts in a regular rotation.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm
Rediculous. I know, and have been in school with, many people wearing band shirts promoting Baphomet, Behemoth, and Cannibal Corpse, as an example. Take a look at thier slogans. No issues arose from those shirts. This is part of a mounting target on Christians.

No, it's a value judgement that insults non-Christians. If the object was to piss people off, it worked. He should quit crying.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by firegoggles
I'm not questioning the fact of his salvation. Christ died for all men it's a done deal.

No, he didn't. Where do you come up with this stuff? Pics or it didn't happen.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm quite sure, in todays society, that if the student had worn a "Satan Rules" T-shirt, nothing would've been said.

Proclaiming a belief in Jesus by a student is not the same as the school endorsing a religion. If a follower of Islam were to demand prayer time and were denied by the school, there would be an uproar about the students right to practice his or her religion. When it comes to a belief in Jesus Christ, society will persecute those who believe.

The only thing I have left to say is that these days were written about a thousand years ago and they are coming true.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Hmmmmm.... what about:

Life is wasted without ORGIES!

Or...

Life is wasted without KITTIES!

Life is wasted without PEPSI or MOUNTAIN DEW!

Life is wasted without PASTA!

Life is wasted without BACON!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
reply to post by Annee

I'm quite sure, in todays society, that if the student had worn a "Satan Rules" T-shirt, nothing would've been said.

You seriously believe if a student was wearing a "Satan Rules" T-shirt - - - a group of Christian parents wouldn't make some noise?

If a student wore the same "Satan Rules" T-shirt for 2 weeks straight - - like this kid did with his Jesus T-shirt - - no one would say anything? That if the school did ask him to change it and he refused - - - the school would just dismiss it?

I am 100% opposed to any and all religion - non-religion in public schools. I would object to any reference to an organized religious belief.

That doesn't mean - - - objection to a positive message. There are phrases that can be used - - without pointing out any specific belief.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join