It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Student's 'Jesus' shirt sparks feud with school

news.ca.msn.com

A Christian student suspended from a high school in Nova Scotia for sporting a T-shirt with the slogan "Life is wasted without Jesus" vows to wear it when he returns to class next week.

(visit the link for the full news article)

+4 more 
posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Christianity is slowly being outlawed in Canada, and this is just one example. For a country who's national anthem contains the phrase "God, Keep out Land", this seems rather vengeful against the faith of Christians, while laws/rules are being passed municipaly, provincialy, and nationaly to permit greater rights to immigrants and the religious ideologies they bring with.

news.ca.msn.com

+58 more 
posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronArm

Christianity is slowly being outlawed in Canada, and this is just one example. For a country who's national anthem contains the phrase "God, Keep out Land", this seems rather vengeful against the faith of Christians, while laws/rules are being passed municipaly, provincialy, and nationaly to permit greater rights to immigrants and the religious ideologies they bring with.

news.ca.msn.com

And what if the student wore a shirt that said: Satan Rules?

Religion does not need to be a part of public school.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
i found it rather interesting that the student wore the same shirt every day for several weeks. i don't know the rights of canadian citizens. is it similar to u.s

+23 more 
posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I'm not Judaic in any way, and yet I will say that I believe this to be wrong. It's not a gang slogan, it's not a hateful message or slandering anyone, it's spreading a perfectly peaceful and happy message out...

And it's wrong? Are we not allowed to think for ourselves, or share beliefs? Let me guess, now they'll ban the word "Jesus" or "Christian" being mentioned in those schools...

I thought police state meant protecting the government against public dissent. Now, it's taking on a whole new meaning...no religion, no beliefs...are we going to abolish personality as well? Are we going to be a bunch of zombies good for nothing more than writing down our names and pressing buttons when told?

Someone said we'd devolve into monkeys someday. I guess they were right.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

True that. However, it seems kinda ridiculous that they'd make him not wear the shirt. He was wearing it every day for two weeks though? Maybe they made him take it off because it smells. lol

I could see if the shirt said something inappropriate or whatever, but I don't see how that is inappropriate. I'm not a christian and it wouldn't offend me. Although it would irk me a little bit, because my life is far from wasted without Jesus.
edit on 5/3/12 by Malynn because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
I'm not Judaic in any way, and yet I will say that I believe this to be wrong. It's not a gang slogan, it's not a hateful message or slandering anyone, it's spreading a perfectly peaceful and happy message out...

Did you read the article?

There were complaints. People were offended.

You KNOW if a student wore a pro Satan shirt - - - there would be a lot more complaints from Christians.

AND those Christians would think they were in the right to ban the student and the shirt.

You can't have it both ways - - - just because your viewpoint is "Jesus is about Peace and Love". Not everyone agrees.

+19 more 
posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Hold on. Religion is an innate part of our country...our country was founded based upon Christianity. Christianity plays a key role in a huge part of our history. Religion plays a key role in the whole world.

So we're going to teach about ancient Egyptian gods, but not about Christianity? That's discrimination.

Are you suggesting discrimination in our educational curriculum?

+24 more 
posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

religion isn't. there shouldn't be a problem with wearing a tee shirt that has a non threatening message unless you're terribly insecure.

+16 more 
posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If it's the same story, the complaint is that people were offended because he was implying that their lives were a waste or something like that.

All these kids that wear shirts that make jokes about Christianity are just expressing their opinions, so why is it that when the Christian kid does something similar it's suddenly offensive and bordering on hate speech?

It's a shirt that gives his personal opinion, and I support the right of the complainers in question to shut up and stop being crybabies.

+8 more 
posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

But if someone wore a shirt saying, "Redheads are idiots" you wouldn't care, right?

Because shirts say stupid things. It's a piece of fabric. Our President says more retarded stuff when he makes his morning speeches.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn

True that. However, it seems kinda ridiculous that they'd make him not wear the shirt. He was wearing it every day for two weeks though? Maybe they made him take it off because it smells. lol

There were complaints. He was asked several times to not wear it. He refused and left them no choice but to suspend him.

It is not benign - - just because its Jesus.

Christians would be up in arms and believe they were in their right - - - to complain and have a student remove something they felt offensive.

+10 more 
link   
reply to post by Annee

And then the school would step in and call those complaining Christian students intolerant and told them to shut up. The same should have been done in this case, and it wasn't.

+20 more 
link   

Originally posted by Annee

news.ca.msn.com

Rediculous. I know, and have been in school with, many people wearing band shirts promoting Baphomet, Behemoth, and Cannibal Corpse, as an example. Take a look at thier slogans. No issues arose from those shirts. This is part of a mounting target on Christians.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lawgiver
i found it rather interesting that the student wore the same shirt every day for several weeks. i don't know the rights of canadian citizens. is it similar to u.s

Ugh, I hope he washed it every night. Maybe that's why the school suspended him, not for religion but because he smells like an armpit, a sweaty onion smelling armpit. Either way, who the hell wears the same shirt everyday? Sounds like this kid was looking for trouble and now the he finally found it he's gonna play the role of the martyr and rebel....

Btw, I think even Jesus can agree that shirt is ugly...

news.ca.msn.com

Stop being a drama Queen. Christianity is not being outlawed, not even in Canada.
edit on 3-5-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

But if someone wore a shirt saying, "Redheads are idiots" you wouldn't care, right?

Because shirts say stupid things. It's a piece of fabric. Our President says more retarded stuff when he makes his morning speeches.

I would object to any shirt that is offensive to other students/teachers.

Christians would have no qualms about demanding a "Satan Rules" shirt be banned.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

There were complaints because he was expressing an opinion that was distasteful to a politically correct school afraid of censure.

He decided to voice his beliefs, spreading love and worship, which is completely harmless, instead of being a fearful sheep. Is there something wrong with this?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Seems a trite hypocritical - Guess it is OK to wear T shirts made by what amounts to slave labour in India or China.
So a few took offense so what how petty is that perhaps they sue the lad for mental trauma - Welcome to the Free World

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You mean you would agree when someone says, "No opinions allowed on school property"?

That means you can't wear anything sporting the school logo either. Supporting the school is an opinion too, right?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

There were complaints because he was expressing an opinion that was distasteful to a politically correct school afraid of censure.

He decided to voice his beliefs, spreading love and worship, which is completely harmless, instead of being a fearful sheep. Is there something wrong with this?

Some schools do allow students to wear "self expression" T-shirts.

Christians have tried to ban Pro Gay shirts.

Christians don't get it that not everyone welcomes Jesus.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join