It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange New Propulsion Method.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm not sure how practical it is or what use it could be but this lighter than air device propels itself by repeatedly turning itself inside out. Very odd. Very cool.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Very cool! Not sure how well it would do anywhere but indoors. Imagine trying to use it on the beach.....we've all seen the kite without the string at some point.

Nowhere near the same thing but at first it kind of reminded me of the solar wind sails I have seen in animations and movies.

I would love to find out how and why they came up with this. Doesn't seem like anything but a sort of indoor novelty stringless kite to me, and it's controlled by what appeared to be a mobile phone app.

Now I could think of one use.....put some glow sticks on it and throw it into a warehouse rave and watch the people go nuts.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Look like CGI fake

But then again could be a len flare

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I don't get why someone would waste their time on something like that witch will never help humanity at all. Other than a highly expensive kite what on earth will he have. Wind would make it useless and it wont work in space to any degree of usefulness as speed is the only way to move there. We need a smiley for a scratches head here at ATS.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Very cool. But it needs helium to stay up in the air. Would be cooler if it could just flap it's way around the air.

SmartInversion is a helium-filled flying object that moves through the air by turning inside-out. This constant, rhythmically pulsating movement is known as inversion and gives the flight model its name.

Better video:
www.youtube.com...

www.festo.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

In itself it's hard to see any useful application but at some point the principles involved may be put to some other use.

I wonder how it would work under water.

I like its organic look.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This one's pretty neat too.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
lighter than air?
please explain phage

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nofear39

It's helium filled. It floats. It does not produce aerodynamic lift.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

thanks alot pal

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Maybe as a solar sail incorporated with lasers would make a useful space application.

But, could not see purposeful use in the atmosphere.

Very cool however, I wonder how efficient it is and how the power source works?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

In itself it's hard to see any useful application but at some point the principles involved may be put to some other use.

I wonder how it would work under water.

I like its organic look.

An underwater version would be pretty interesting to see. I wonder if they could actually make it work with currents and such. With such a large surface area and being non-porous as it turned inside out, once all the angles have come together it would seem like it would be pulled or its direction would be changed fairly easily by the forces of water.

I would imagine it would work underwater a lot like it would outside. It would all depend on if its a calm day because with wind or currents this thing would disappear quickly.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
New flying air ads.

Attach it to some string and call it an Auto Kite so obese children don't have to run anymore to start a kite. Just kidding, nobody plays with kites anymore.

Design it smaller and make it mimic insects and birds. Spy drones.

A few practical things I can think of.
edit on 30-4-2012 by LeTan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
For those of you that don't know there are competitions for gliders constructed this way. New light weight materials have made for some interesting designs, but this one takes the cake. It does not even resemble any protozoan's movements. With some modifications to some of the cycles of propulsion it could be improved and computer sensors could make it easy to navigate. No capability of payload, yet.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
sandf Phage
under water might just be the place
similarly it works for jelly fish among others

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Looks like something that would be in Avatar.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I want one. Turn in loose in my house as a novelty.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think the propeller and the vane type fans will be replaced by this new concept. Imagine a turbine using this principal. Thanks Phage, really cool.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

it's called the wow factor. if it causes a spark of inspiration, then it has served humanity.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

That's a really interesting idea. "Invert" the invertor.
Mount it statically and let what are now servos be generators. The stresses have to be pretty godawful though.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join