It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a 54 year old woman, and I was told to remove my hood before I could enter a shop lol

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
The UK had been pretty wet the last week or so, and yesterday was no different.

I am a 54 year old woman, and I put on my rainproof coat with it's attached hood, put the lead on my dog and set off walking to my local Tesco store. It wasn't dark, it was around 3.30pm.

I parked my dog outside the store and proceeded to enter, then a 'security' man stopped me and said I have to remove my hood or I can't enter the shop lol. I didn't want a confrontation so I complied. I was quite surprised because I'm hardly a 'hoody' thug lol. My hood was over my head because I was still outside and it was raining, I would have removed it once inside had I been given a chance.

It's coming to something when middle aged citizens are confronted at shop doorways by intimidating and burly 'security' men, and ordered to remove their headwear. I felt quite embarrassed because there were a number of customers within earshot and were looking over at me.

What's next, being frisked before entering a store?

It is called not discriminating. What makes you so special as a 54 year old woman so as to entitle you to privileges above others? I know your homeland often gives women a high degree of privilege(private law) that advantages you over others in regards to when your demograph commits acts of murder, rape or liable against others(even under oath).

Your a human being, and in this situation there is a human standard that applies to all. Don't think yourself so special that your exempt from it.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
there used to be something called common sense. it is no longer common, but nonsense like these hoodie rules is thriving. on the surface, what may seem a simple, and equally applied, restriction is but one of the ongoing slew of 'minor' infringements which constitute an assault on the individuals' freedom to just get on with their lives. these stupid rules are slavishly followed and defended by stupid people. slippery slopes...
edit on 30/4/12 by RoScoLaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

don't be stupid.. there is a difference between what you are suggesting and the legitimate reason why they asked you. And that is - when you enter a retail shop, be it supermarket or whatever, I would say over 90% would ask you to remove your hood or anything covering up facial details, and the explanation is simple.

Shoplifting.

They need to be able to see your face clearly for the security cameras.

I work in a fishing and tackle shop, and we get dodgy characters in here all the time. Since I am the only one working there who has any idea how to use technology I am always the one who has to retrieve the footage so I know what I'm talking about. We have had people steal from us several times in the last year (that we have managed to catch anyway), and they range far in age. I have even witnessed a middle(ish) aged man (like 50 I guess) and his son, who would have not been over 8 years old, trying to steal fishing reels as a duo. They had the reels stuffed under their jumpers, and when confonted tried to claim they were just holding them there while they continued to browse. Give me a break. So a 54 year old woman stealing stuff would no longer come as a surprise to me.

I am only 24, and if you have seriously not woken up to the world and how pathetic and devious it can be, then you must be living in one hell of a bubble.

It's nothing personal ever, we just don't want people stealing our stuff.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ramcheck
Just. Remove. Your hood. Why are you walking around indoors with your hood up? It's just generally accepted these days that nobody goes into a store or a bank or a supermarket with a hood up. You should know better at your age tbh.

Thank you!!! A little common sense is so hard to find these days.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
any type of concealment is you getting closer to being anonymous.
We are living under the patriot act and many private corporations are following the footsteps of the current goverment standards.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I am a 34 year old male who works in the oilfield, I wear a hardhat while on location, and a baseball cap off, partly due to hair loss, and partly die to the fact I do not carry a mirror or comb in my pocket all that often. I also wear my safety glasses, almost constantly, as they are smoked, they are darker and much like sun glasses. This thread got me thinking, I wear them constantly, inside and out, I have never once been asked to remove them, If I was, I would probably not patronize the establishment that did.

I regularly go to the bank, store and about the only place I remove, or don't wear a hat is at church, or in my home. I also regularly wear hoodies, bunny hugs as they are called here. i wear them everywhere I go, often with with the hoof up in cooler weather, again, because of hair loss. I guess it can be said that bunny hugs and baseball caps are a way of life here, so we are probably not used to the idea that they represent anything other than someone wanting to cover their head and keep warm. I dread the day when I am asked to remove them for anything other then the most official or formal of occasions.

Thank God the insanity has not quite reached here yet.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
whats that old phrase no shirt no shoes no service if its the shops rules it can have and u dont like it find another shop

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Someone should open a store that only allows people with hoodies and the like to enter, heck put a guard there that won't allow you in if you don't have the appropriate dress wear!

"Sorry sir, your hood isn't up and I can't allow you to enter the store, simply put the hood over your head and you may proceed", "Cshshsh goes the raio", "We have a suspect in isle 3, Code 64-10 no Hood."

Maybe hand out temp hoods for those without or just refuse entry, with force.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
www.ajc.com...

/thread

I am glad they were non-discriminatory and forced you to remove it.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
reply to post by doobydoll

I live in the same city as you, and I occasionally get told to remove my hood in certain stores. Whilst your experience may have been personally embarrassing for you, I'd look on it in a more positive way:

When these shops operate a ''no hoods'' policy, then at least they appear to be applying these rules equally. You - as a female of more mature years - have the same rules applied to you as a teenage boy would in the same environment. Surely that's the correct procedure ? Unless you'd want one rule for you, and another for someone else...

edit on 28-4-2012 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

Wow, also in Nottingham, that's at least 3 of us then!!

Just wanted to say I completely agree with your comments, age/gender is immaterial, in fact I'm not sure there is any statistical evidence that shoplifting is limitied to younger people, so I don't even actually see the relevance of the post.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I'm over fifty and I've got quite long hair. Wherever I shop I get followed by the store security. When I spot them I start walking hastily all over the store, its fun watching them trying to follow me without me noticing them.
I'm sure if they were allowed they'd ask me to remove my hair.

It seems to me theres an oppertunity for someone to open a store where - hoodys - bearded - long haired people are welcomed.

Also. Would someone intent on doing something bad, mark themselves by wearing a hood? Of course not, this is all about CONTROL.
edit on 28-4-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

I think you are missing the point of why the hood is being asked to be removed. It's for CCTV purposes and if you don't agree with shops trying to protect themselves against shoplifters that is really your problem. Having long hair or a beard is not the same thing, in fact they are things that help to identify you.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Why do some of you keep replying with 'you should take your headwear off indoors' and 'they need to see your face'? These replies are pointless. I usually don't wear headwear indoors OR outdoors, but I wore my hooded raincoat because it was raining and I walked to the store. I wasn't even in the shop when told to remove my hood, I WAS STILL OUTSIDE!

Don't you people read the OP before responding? Jeez!

Thanks for your replies guys, and thanks for taking the time to read, (those of you who did, that is).
edit on 30-4-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Why do some of you keep replying with 'you should take your headwear off indoors' and 'they need to see your face'? These replies are pointless. I usually don't wear headwear indoors OR outdoors, but I wore my hooded raincoat because it was raining and I walked to the store. I wasn't even in the shop when told to remove my hood, I WAS STILL OUTSIDE!

Don't you people read the OP before responding? Jeez!

Thanks for your replies guys, and thanks for taking the time to read, (those of you who did, that is).
edit on 30-4-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

Sorry, but with the info you gave, they are not. The camera will show you entering the store - therefore it makes sense to ask before you enter - the reason is that IF (and I'm not suggesting in your case this would happen) footage needed to be used in a court case, they had a record of the time/date you entered.

As has already been pointed out, there are lots of Tesco stores in and around Nottingham. If this was one that didn't have a canopy outside the doors that provided protection from the weather then I could kind of understand, but then I would say it was a bit crap of you leaving your dog outside in what must have been heavy rain.

I really don't understand why you think at the relatively not old age of 54 (not far behind you on that) you would for some reason be exempt from any policy that may be in place?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
My wife had the same but more violent approach, my wife is in her 40's, 5ft 4 and the least likely hoodie you could see, she's very well spoken AND was a regular customer of this shop. It was a rainy day so she went to the local M&S / Petrol station franchise to buy a few bits, she had a furry hooded coat on (not a hoodie) and the hood is quite stiff so does not go all the way flat and as she was only grabbing a pint of milk before going back to the rain outside she never thought to drop the hood down.

As she's looking at the sell by dates on the milk a shop worker from behind has grabbed her arm and spun her around and then barked at her she had to take the hood down, not happy with being man handled she spoke to the on duty manager who spoken very little English (South Harrow is a highly Sri Lankan populated area and many of the shops are fully staffed with Sri Lanakans), this made making the complaint very difficult.

She left and returned home to me and was clearly upset, she begged me not to go to the shop and just forget about it but the next day I went back and spoke to a different duty manager who was actually a very nice bloke who apologised profusely about his colleges behaviour and offered an expensive bottle of wine as a apology (and very nice it was too).

But the whole idea that my wife was treated like scum by a staff member, forcibly grabbed yet so petite in stature AND a well known customer was way over wrong. She wasn't acting suspiciously, her coat which was a long coat was fully buttoned up, she had no bags with her and the hood does not cover the face, it Stops at the hairline so the face front is fully visible.

Awful behaviour by the staff member, always remember that they are NOT permitted to lay a hand on you but to merely ASK you to take the hood down, if you refuse then things may get ugly..

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

The UK had been pretty wet the last week or so, and yesterday was no different.

I am a 54 year old woman, and I put on my rainproof coat with it's attached hood, put the lead on my dog and set off walking to my local Tesco store. It wasn't dark, it was around 3.30pm.

I parked my dog outside the store and proceeded to enter, then a 'security' man stopped me and said I have to remove my hood or I can't enter the shop lol. I didn't want a confrontation so I complied. I was quite surprised because I'm hardly a 'hoody' thug lol. My hood was over my head because I was still outside and it was raining, I would have removed it once inside had I been given a chance.

It's coming to something when middle aged citizens are confronted at shop doorways by intimidating and burly 'security' men, and ordered to remove their headwear. I felt quite embarrassed because there were a number of customers within earshot and were looking over at me.

What's next, being frisked before entering a store?

It is called not discriminating. What makes you so special as a 54 year old woman so as to entitle you to privileges above others? I know your homeland often gives women a high degree of privilege(private law) that advantages you over others in regards to when your demograph commits acts of murder, rape or liable against others(even under oath).

Your a human being, and in this situation there is a human standard that applies to all. Don't think yourself so special that your exempt from it.

My sister told me yesterday that when she went to the shopping mall in her town, she witnessed a middle aged couple who were pushing a wheelchair with a frail old lady in her 90's, mall security made them remove her woolly hat and my sister said the elderly lady was visibly upset (bless her)

There is no need to treat people like this.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

As has already been pointed out, there are lots of Tesco stores in and around Nottingham. If this was one that didn't have a canopy outside the doors that provided protection from the weather then I could kind of understand, but then I would say it was a bit crap of you leaving your dog outside in what must have been heavy rain.

My dog loves the rain, in fact he loves to go walks in any weather and I often take him whatever the weather's doing.

It's only water you know, not battery acid.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

My dog loves the rain, in fact he loves to go walks in any weather and I often take him whatever the weather's doing.

Absolutely, only water, so why the issue with removing your hood, shall I also do the scrolly eyes thing?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Warmth wouldn't come into play? I mean we don't have fur, nor do we do very well in wet, cold conditions, unless you know, it was warm rain. Now shall I do the eye roll thingy too?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

Absolutely, only water, so why the issue with removing your hood, shall I also do the scrolly eyes thing?

Because my dog loves nothing more than splashing in the rain, whereas I do not.

But I still take him out whatever the weather is doing because I am not as you put it, a crappy owner.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

Because my dog loves nothing more than splashing in the rain, whereas I do not.

But I still take him out whatever the weather is doing because I am not as you put it, a crappy owner.

I said it was a bit crap of you to tie your dog outside in the rain, I did not call you a crappy owner - the two are not the same.

Just for perspectives sake because you now seemed to be more concerned that you were asked to remove your hood outside rather than (as your op suggests) you were asked to remove it even though you are female and not a teenager, do you mind if I ask how far from the entrance door where you? five paces? Ten paces? The other end of the car park?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join