It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the U.S ever won a war?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
I know U.S lost to Canada way back, burnt down the White House.

You remind me of a Canadian version of an ignorant extreme American patriot. As for the argument that Russia would have won WW2 single-handedly, that is absurd. If the U.S. didn't put an oil embargo on Japan and antagonize them into an attack then Russia would have had it coming fully from both sides.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

Such insults. Im 59 yrs of age and a Degreed professional.I did a Google search per your request.

*"The Burning of Washington in 1814 was an armed conflict during the War of 1812 between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and the United States of America."

*"British Troops Burned the Capitol and the White House in 1814"

*"In 1814, during the War of 1812, the White House was set ablaze by British troops during the Burning of Washington, in retaliation for burning Upper Canada's Parliament ..."

*"In 1814 during the War of 1812 with the British the British entered Washington and set fire to the White House."

*"We did not lose the War of 1812. It was generally a stalemate. We invaded Canada and burned their provincial capitol to the ground."

"What's funny about the war of 1812 is that the British thought they won it, the US thought they won it, and the Canadians thought they won it ..."

**Canada was not a Country until 1867:**

"Canada became a country in 1867 with the Fathers of Confederation drafting the constitution in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island."

And to be fair:

*"War of 1812...Actually it was a British victory ".

"There is some debate that the US lost the War of 1812 to Britain, or at least British North America (Canada) because the US did not reach their objective of taking Upper Canada"

**Quotes courtesy of Google search from:
:Wikipedia, Answers.com, Webanswers.com, WikiAnswers.com

Ill just attribute your hostility to being uninformed and perhaps your own age. When you get a bit older youll understand about making your point with name calling and harsh statements.

Good luck with that

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Serious question.

Civil War was fought within, so win/lose.
One could argue Russia actually "defeated" most of the German army.
Vietnam was lost and the Northern faction took over.
Korean war is still ongoing, in the North's eyes.
Iraq fail, IMO.
Afghanistan pending.

Has U.S ever walked in and out of a country before?

Serious question.
Canada was not a separate country back then. It was part and parcel of the British empire.
Civil war was a lose/lose.
Russia defeated the Germans by themselves? lmao, get a clue. We supplied their war effort, plus everybody else's war effort as well. Without the trucks, weapons, ammo, hell even boots and uniforms they would have gotten stomped. Hitler did more to lose against Stalin than the Soviets did to "win". I guess you missed the part about Stalin begging the US/UK to open a second front before the Germans ran the USSR over?
Vietnam and Korea were "political losses". If the panty waist politicians had got out of the way, we would have easily won both.
Iraq and Afghanistan; we should never have physically invaded. If we wanted to punish them we should have just bombed them and kept the infantry home.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by Kram09

The US didn't win "The War Of Independence" The War finished in 1776. The US was founded in 1789 i think. Between 1776-89 there where just 13 independent colonies not a country called The United States.
Please research before making such proclamations. Have you ever heard of the articles of confederation? The war did not finish in 1776. It was just warming up. I weep for the rampant ignorance of history being demonstrated in this thread.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
the US won the civil war...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

If you want to get technical, NO!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
On the revolution, yes, I believe the colonies won, given the eventual military aid from the French naval forces, but undeniably with the French financial aid.

War of 1812, as previously pointed out.

How about the Spanish-American "War?"(If you can even consider it as such)

All that said, it's been decades since a decisive victory of an entire war...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden\\. As for the argument that Russia would have won WW2 single-handedly, that is absurd. I\

I don't recall saying that at all actually...
So cool your horses.

I said "One could argue Russia actually 'defeated' most of the German army."

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
depends on your definition of 'win'. i take that to mean - succeed. for my money, nobody has ever won a war. we are all human, we are all the same, we fight ourselves and defeat ourselves. the endless cycle of human conflict is a grand failure played out on a long timescale, the essential details of which could be condensed thus;

we hate ourselves, we fear ourselves, we destroy ourselves.

we win?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Well as an Australian I can comprehensively say yes on many occasions.
Without the US both world wars would have turned out far differently for the Allies
In fact US involvement in WW1 probably directly caused the armistice.
wiki.answers.com...

Communism was a real and direct threat that was defeated by the Western society lead by US interests. Its a rare thing that a country fights on its own...ever.

Strangely Australia just celebrated our day of war. Anzac day, remembered as our greatest defeat on the battlefield ever.
Its a silly premise this thread. Its not about winning or losing its about why and what you are fighting for. Sadly the US seem to be losing their way now.
edit on 26-4-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by Juggernog

You call it nitpicking. I call it facts.
I only deal in facts (like most sensible people do)

Really you call it facts, well lets go back a page a look at something you posted.

The US didn't win "The War Of Independence" The War finished in 1776. The US was founded in 1789 i think. Between 1776-89 there where just 13 independent colonies not a country called The United States.

You say the War of Independence finished in 1776, really 1776 .

The Battle of Lexington and Concord took place April 19, 1775, when the British sent a force of roughly 1000 troops to confiscate arms and arrest revolutionaries in Concord, Massachusetts.

We can agree the war began in 1775 right? Washington forced the British out of Boston in 1776, but the British came back with a larger force. If not for the Americans winning the Battle of Saratoga then none of the European countries would have helped us.

By the way that battle took place in 1777 a full year after you claim the war ended.

The war ended in 1781 when Gen.Cornwallis surrendered his force at the Battle of Yorktown.

Peace was not achieved until 1783.

The constitution wasnt ratified until 1789 but States, not colonies began ratifying it in 1787 with Delaware, Penn, and New Jersey being the first.

The American Revolution is considered the first War that America won.
The Barbary Wars
The "indian" Wars (which yes were terrible)
War of 1812
Mexican-American War
As another poster already said the Civil War was between ourselves, but if you consider the Union forces won who were defending America then its considered a win
Spanish American War
Both World Wars, and yes the USMC did most of the heavy fighting in the Pacific Theater
Military wise Vietnam was a Win, politcally it was a loss
Greneda and Panama

Those are all considered American Military Victories

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
reply to post by captaintyinknots

The American revolution was fought and won, for the most part, by the French. We stood no chance against the British.

Amen. USA would have been wiped out in a matter of weeks but for The French.

Oh, how times change

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
No one wins a war.

that said, if they had lost a war, America wouldn't exist as it does either.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Serious question.

Civil War was fought within, so win/lose.
One could argue Russia actually "defeated" most of the German army.
Vietnam was lost and the Northern faction took over.
Korean war is still ongoing, in the North's eyes.
Iraq fail, IMO.
Afghanistan pending.

Has U.S ever walked in and out of a country before?

Serious question.
Canada was not a separate country back then. It was part and parcel of the British empire.
Civil war was a lose/lose.
Russia defeated the Germans by themselves? lmao, get a clue. We supplied their war effort, plus everybody else's war effort as well. Without the trucks, weapons, ammo, hell even boots and uniforms they would have gotten stomped. Hitler did more to lose against Stalin than the Soviets did to "win". I guess you missed the part about Stalin begging the US/UK to open a second front before the Germans ran the USSR over?
Vietnam and Korea were "political losses". If the panty waist politicians had got out of the way, we would have easily won both.
Iraq and Afghanistan; we should never have physically invaded. If we wanted to punish them we should have just bombed them and kept the infantry home.

USA might have supplied all the war efforts, but did their actual fighting make a difference?

Supplying war efforts is a far cry from "winning the war"

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
What about the "Cold War?"

USA won that one.

Of course, some would interpret the win in that the Soviet Union just broke apart on its own due to overspending trying to match USA military spending.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sitchin
depends on your definition of winning ..america and Britain which i regard as one super power have many puppets in foreign governments for them to puppeteer ....

all roads lead to rome

The British (people) would have quite some objection to this statement.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
reply to post by captaintyinknots

The American revolution was fought and won, for the most part, by the French. We stood no chance against the British.

Amen. USA would have been wiped out in a matter of weeks but for The French.

Oh, how times change

really a mattre of weeks, well seeing as how the war began in 1775 and the French didnt come to aid us until atleast 1778 id say we lasted a little longer then a matter of weeks by ourselves.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
USA also won World War 2 in the Pacific Theatre, almost exclusively on their own after the British collapse in Singapore.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

We won the Iraq wars.

You must be joking.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

The war in Panama, oh wait that was an invasion.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join