It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the U.S ever won a war?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Serious question.

I know U.S lost to Canada way back, burnt down the White House.
Civil War was fought within, so win/lose.
One could argue Russia actually "defeated" most of the German army.
Vietnam was lost and the Northern faction took over.
Korean war is still ongoing, in the North's eyes.
Iraq fail, IMO.
Afghanistan pending.

Has U.S ever walked in and out of a country before?

Serious question.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Serious question.

I know U.S lost to Canada way back, burnt down the White House.
Civil War was fought within, so win/lose.
One could argue Russia actually "defeated" most of the German army.
Vietnam was lost and the Northern faction took over.
Korean war is still ongoing, in the North's eyes.
Iraq fail, IMO.
Afghanistan pending.

Serious question.

ummmm...the american revolution, for starters. Just saying.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
We won the civil war

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

The American revolution was fought and won, for the most part, by the French. We stood no chance against the British.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

The American revolution was fought and won, for the most part, by the French. We stood no chance against the British.

bs, America exists. It won. You can throw semantics out there all you want, but the bottom line is, america was at war with britain. Britain retreated, leaving america standing as the victor. Its a loaded question: The OP wishes to give Russia credit for WW2, even though they were being slaughtered by the hundreds of thousands and could not possible have survived without US involvement. Yet we cant give victory credit to the US in the revolution, because the French helped.

This thread is really kind of silly. Basically, it is asking if america has ever single-handedly won a war. Not many countries have.
edit on 25-4-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Okay, serious question...Serious answer by my undrstanding of my nation's history.

1st, we haven't won a war since 1945 by how I know winning is defined. Korea was a draw, Vietnam was a loss....1991 Gulf I was a win, kinda..but in such a half ass and unfinished way that we had to refight it twice the size a decade later. err... not a win in my eyes, even if it seemed so then.

I'd say we won World War II though and we were there for the win in World War I. I wasn't our war..but we sure gave our part..along with enough Flu virus to infect half of Europe, but I digress.

The Russians took east of Berlin, we took west of Berlin and we met somewhere over the top of where HItler ate his gun or whatever the evil troll did in his last moments of cowardice. So...Europe? Okay... Fair to say we share the victory but Russia could not have won without the Western front being handled and we couldn't have won if the East hadn't been rolled up at the same time.

I'd say it kinda goes without saying we won the Revolutionary War (We're here...the English aren't) and 1812? Well.... It was a dark day when our little house burned down but wouldn't winning be defined by the fact WE are the ones who stood on the land to rebuild it? Just sayin...

So to answer your question. The Revolutionary War, World War I and World War II. There are the wins... Everything else has been draw.tie or loss to various degree.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

We walked into Japan, have yet to walk back out though.

The pacific theater of WW2 was primarily fought and won by US Marines and Naval units, they did have some help from the Aussies but most, if not all primary objectives were completed by the US.
I realize the A Bomb may be seen by some as a cop out for a win but I view it more as a shortcut, the Japanese were beaten, they just wouldnt admit it.
In the end the Nuke, saved more lives than it took, since it avoided a mainland invasion.
edit on 25-4-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

France helped, but if it wasn't for us France would be speaking German and eating snitzel right now. Ask the Japanese if America has ever won a war... I would bet they would say yes.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
We won most of our wars we've fought.

I wouldn't call Vietnam a loss because they could not beat us militarily. But we did lose politically.

We won WW I and II in partnership with our allies.

We won the War of 1812.

The Civil War wasn't really a lose, but we are a stronger nation ebcause of it.

We won the Iraq wars.

We haven't won the War On Terror yet, but with people like Saddam and some of Bin Laden's leading henchmen, we are making headway. I wouldn't call it a loss just yet, except for the loss of some of our liberties.

The war on drugs is a loss because we are using heavy handed tactics against our citizens and the amount of drugs coming in to America increases each year. But it is still a work in progress.

The Afghanistan war I don't know enough about it so I can't really say.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

We walked into Japan, have yet to walk back out though.

The pacific theater of WW2 was primarily fought and won by US Marines and Naval units, they did have some help from the Aussies but most, if not all primary objectives were completed by the US.
I realize the A Bomb may be seen by some as a cop out for a win but I view it more as a shortcut, the Japanese were beaten, they just wouldnt admit it.
In the end the Nuke, saved more lives than it took, since it avoided a mainland invasion.
edit on 25-4-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

Did you know about this:-

en.wikipedia.org...

I think it may have been a help

As for the US doing it mainly alone here is just one example why they didn't:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The American War of Independence

The Mexican War

The Spanish-American War

The World Wars...arguably the Russians did much of the blood letting, but the United States still "won" so to speak, but what anybody really "won" from that war is anybody's guess.

Others such as the invasion of Panama and the Gulf War etc the Americans did win as such, but it wasn't against any notable military opposition. The United States hasn't fought a war on equal terms since the Second World War.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The real winners are those who finance the wars.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
well its lost the war on obesity
and probably every other war on public health invented its probably going to be a virtual whitewash on the us government v's others so in real terms i wouldnt bother pretending and as queen liz for permission to return back to the commonwealth

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
There's not much pride to be gained from war.

Particularly when the war's the United States fight involve smashing third world countries which can't really put up any realistic opposition.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It's never been about who wins or loses, it's always about who comes out on top.

My opinion....

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Victory means you achieved your objectives right?

Well, during the First Barbary War (1801-05), the objectives were to retrieve captured Americans and to stop the pirates.

In fact this war was extremely important to the legacy of the US Navy and the Marines.

The turning point in the war came with the Battle of Derna (April–May 1805). Ex-consul William Eaton, who went by the rank of general, and US Marine First Lieutenant Presley O'Bannon led a mixed force of eight United States Marines[18] and 500 Greeks from the island of Crete, Arab, and Berber mercenaries on a march across the desert from Alexandria, Egypt to assault and to capture the Tripolitan city of Derna. This was the first time in history that the United States flag was raised in victory on foreign soil. This action was memorialized in a line from the Marines' Hymn—"the shores of Tripoli."

The First Barbary War was beneficial to the military reputation of the U.S. America's military command and war mechanism had been up to that time relatively untested. The First Barbary War showed that America could execute a war far from home, and that American forces had the cohesion to fight together as Americans rather than separately as Georgians or New Yorkers. The United States Navy and Marines became a permanent part of the American government and American history, and Decatur returned to the U.S. as its first post-Revolutionary war hero.

But that was only the first half of the struggle against the Barbary States. The Second Barbary War of 1815 finally achieved the objectives set forth rescuing all of the captives, eliminating tributes, and having unhindered trade through the region.

Shortly after departing Gibraltar en route to Algiers, Decatur's squadron encountered the Algerian flagship Meshuda, and, in a battle off Cape Gata, captured it. Not long afterward, the American squadron likewise off Cape Palos captured the Algerian brig Estedio. By the final week of June, the squadron had reached Algiers and had initiated negotiations with the Dey. After persistent demands for recompensation mingled with threats of destruction, the Dey capitulated. By terms of the treaty signed aboard the Guerriere in the Bay of Algiers, 3 July 1815, Decatur agreed to return the captured Meshuda and Estedio while the Algerians returned all American captives, estimated to be about 10, and a significant group of European captives[citation needed] were exchanged for about 500 subjects of the Dey[4] along with $10,000 in payment for seized shipping. The treaty guaranteed no further tributes[5] and granted the United States full shipping rights.

How many wars has the US actually fought? A few hundred easily, mostly minor ones though. Finding some victories in that many wars isn't very hard considering the statistical odds.
edit on 25-4-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

The US didn't win "The War Of Independence" The War finished in 1776. The US was founded in 1789 i think. Between 1776-89 there where just 13 independent colonies not a country called The United States.

link   
IF your definition of WIN is unconditional surrender of the other parties, we have not won since WW2.

WW1 ended in an armistice. I think we are still at war with north Korea.

I really have no idea about the Panama and Grenada jokes
edit on 25-4-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

link   
i knew this thread would pop up tonight i was looking at another thread about why no foreign bases on American soil (which there is) it is true American has not won a war in its entirety from start to finish without support from her allies and please don't take this as anti-American i am very much for the alliance between Britain and America but i really don't see why this thread exists apart from stirring up American members instead of stirring each other up we should be working together as allies do rather than notching up who has won how many wars cause when the SHTF and it will we will be fighting side by side as we always do when it counts

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Wow lots of great feedback

I forgot about Gulf War. Yes, US won that!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join