It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism promotes Nihilism

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

thanks for your elaborate post. Unfortunately I think it isn't going to make a difference. That Lason person isn't interested in conversation, he's just interested in his own big ego and for some reason this bashing and name-calling he specializes in seems to be in line with the T&C as no mod takes appropriate action and allows decent exchange of different opinions.

sincerely,
eyes

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverSleepingEyes

Thanks. It's okay...I know what his agenda is.
There are lots of folks who lurk on these forums, and while my posts may not make any diff to Iason, there are others who will perhaps appreciate them.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Thanks. It's okay...I know what his agenda is.
There are lots of folks who lurk on these forums, and while my posts may not make any diff to Iason, there are others who will perhaps appreciate them.

I do care. I do appreciate them.
and now i have to stop. It's too late and this Lason person managed to piss me off so much that I run the risk of writing stupid things. Better have a (short) night of good sleep and do what i said in my last reply to the ****: I'll try to neglect him completely.

take care

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!

ATS doesn't allow for rude behavior.

Please take a few moments to read the following:

We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW

Further ill-mannered and/or off topic remarks will be removed.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by FaceLikeTheSun

The problem is this: there is no why when there is a lack of belief.

Like some people don't believe in Unicorns, there really is no why.

And it's Christians and other theists who insist there must be a why.

Christians cannot understand atheism. It's impossible.

All it is is a lack of belief. Nothing more.

But Christian can't seem to understand that no matter how it's explained to them.

I think you've been picked on quite enough...but to your point about atheism being a lack of belief is simply intellectually dishonest.

I don't know how many times I will have to post this but here it goes:

Proposition "GOD EXISTS"

Answer:

Yes (theist)

No (atheist)

I don't know (agnostic)

Notice how all of these are in the affirmative.

Not to mention there are clearly good arguments for the existence of God. And because there are, the atheist needs to deconstruct the arguments and build their own case for why God doesn't exist.

The problem is largely due to comparing God with other existing/potential objects (flying spaghetti monster, pink unicorn etc) These things don't have any claims attributed to them. And if you want to assign the, such as "the pink unicorn created the universe" then you're simply subjecting to semantics and not appealing to proper logic.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

It's not Lason its Iason, it's actually Jason in English but I used the Greek Iota because I'm awesome like that,

I'm glad I touched your heart, mission accomplished,

I used to absolutely HATE the Christians who preached to me, now I thank God every day for all the signs he sent my way when I was on the road to destruction,

God bless you,

Good night

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris

atheism is all too understandable

then please, explain athiesm to me. wot is it that you think i beleive and dont beleive, because surely u know better than me

can you help me understand that which I do not?

indulge me please...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide

atheism is all too understandable

then please, explain athiesm to me. wot is it that you think i beleive and dont beleive, because surely u know better than me

can you help me understand that which I do not?

indulge me please...

how many different types of christianity are there? just assume that athiesm is just as diverse, you cant claim to know all about an individuals beliefs just because you have a basic understanding of the larger group. your obviously a christian but i dont assume that u are evangelic, Gnostic or Esoteric or any of the others, nor do i assume that i know the differance between these types of christianity.
i might be an athiest, nihilist or agnostic, i dont really know that myself, all i know is that i beleive wot i beleive. dont try to pigeon whole me, not without buying me a drink first anyway lol

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I think you've been picked on quite enough...but to your point about avoltronism being a lack of belief is simply intellectually dishonest.

I don't know how many times I will have to post this but here it goes:

Proposition "VOLTRON EXISTS"

Answer:

Yes (Voltronist)

No (Avoltronist)

I don't know (agnostic about Voltron)

Notice how all of these are in the affirmative.

~
No, that's simply wrong. You could take every single ridiculous thing, and play semantics to make it sound like it's a positive assertion. Voltron, Russels Teapot, Magic Sandwiches, Tonberries, all could be worded for it to sound like a positive assertion.

But no, it's bunk. It doesn't work like that. Someone could argue for the existence of Voltron. If all the arguments for his existence are deconstructed and proven to be bunk, it doesn't mean you have to have positive evidence against his existence. If there's no rational evidence for something being asserted to exist, the burden of proof is not on the one who doesn't accept it. I'm sure you personally aren't bothered that you can't prove that there's no Magic Sandwich, or no Tonberries.

Spend, half an hour studying mythological creatures. Assume the fact that people used to believe in these creatures as one argument that they existed. You'll have no evidence that they didn't exist, only the assertion there is a lack of evidence to lead you to conclude that they did. You will not just start believing because you can't disprove, because it'd be ridiculous to do so, That's the same stance most atheists have on gods.

There's no burden of prove on skepticism. If there was a single piece of concrete evidence for any god's existence, then there may be a burden of prove, or a burden of prove to disprove the supposed evidence. There isn't such evidence though, nor is there any evidence that does near as much as suggest a creator.

~

It's impossible to disprove Gods in general. It's a vague term that covers nearly everything imaginable. The Problem of Evil for example, can be put against many Gods, but any that aren't Benevolent, Omniscient, or Omnipotent, aren't phased by the Problem of Evil.

Individual Gods may be argued against, especially so if they come with a holy book that'd have to be true for them to exist. Gods in general, can't.

~
I think it's funny you accuse atheists of arguing semantics; because you're the one who's doing just that.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

the problem of evil is a farce,

there's only a problem with evil if you lack theological understanding and do not have eyes to see or ears to hear.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

a 2% to 3% minority of the planet. which includes newborns who are undecided is diverse?

in my opinion and observations (surely here on ATS) there is one one flavor of atheism, and that is active anti-Christian variety.

seemingly knowing nothing about India or Islam or the plethora of other theistic systems out there, but I do understand this as it is all an english speaking atheist can even possibly know at this point in their development.

there is only one blend of Christianity amongst which they know is true and that is Jesusism, an atheist doesn't even know nor do they have to right possibly to debate Christian denominations because they deny the truth all together.

Jesus is the Word of God and only he knows his true name...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321

there's only a problem with evil if you lack theological understanding and do not have eyes to see or ears to hear.

oh surely they have eyes to see and ears for which to hear...

the truth would seem that the light has blinded them and the sinners should pray for Jesus to heal them and come into their heart to reveal himself.

He's done it on purpose

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

It was an example, being the most common. If your God is not all loving, not all powerful, or not all knowing, of course the problem of evil is irrelevant. A god that has the "Free Will" defense, may or may not also be excluded, that's a topic worth a full length debate itself. However, you only prove my point, that it's applicable to some Gods and not to Others.

And you skip over the entire point of the post, and act as if a petty criticism of a side illustration refutes the whole post, something I've gotten very used to by people of stances similar to yours, it doesn't make for much convincing.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

The problem is this: there is no why when there is a lack of belief.

Like some people don't believe in Unicorns, there really is no why.

And it's Christians and other theists who insist there must be a why.

Christians cannot understand atheism. It's impossible.

All it is is a lack of belief. Nothing more.

But Christian can't seem to understand that no matter how it's explained to them.

/Facepalm.

You do not even know what the words "belief" and "faith" mean. Do not feel bad, most of modern humanity doesn't know the meaning of those words. You have your faith and you have your beliefs, but you put them in things like science and the tangible. You believe only in what your weak and limited eyes can see or what is considered "acceptable" to man. Your mind is trapped inside the box it was placed in and you only think inside that box.

You do not have any "lack" of belief. You just do not believe in gods or a God. You put your belief in what you can prove as opposed to hanging your balls out there on hope. You need the concrete and the tangible whereas we do not and then those like you belittle us because we are different, and tell us we believe in "fairy tales" when you cannot prove God doesn't exist.
edit on 27-4-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
You put your belief in what you can prove as opposed to hanging your balls out there on hope.

I honestly have a hard time believing we're from the same reality. In my reality, you can only prove what's true, and you can hope for anything. Meaning that, proof is far more valuable in identifying truths than choosing what you hope is true.

I can name many dead children who suffered because their parents thought a God they "hoped" was true would heal them, and denied them medical attention. Religious Suicide Bombers "Hope" that they'll get a benefit in the afterlife for their actions.

If you can't prove something, or even factually support it, there's no reason to believe in it. Believing out of hope, is many times dangerous, and when not (Pardon my bluntness) it's still stupid.

~
You want to say I put my beliefs in facts and proofs, go ahead. I won't take any offense, in fact I'm damn well proud of it.

~
I must of completely misunderstood your statement. I just must of. There's no way someone can criticize people for not letting baseless hopes determine their view of reality, and thusly their actions and lifestyle. Just no way, I must be mistaken.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Sounds like the kind of life where you would just kill yourself and get it over with. Without hope, life isn't worth living. You live your entire life only to end in a hole and be forgotten where no one gives a damn about you. Thats absolutely sad.
My brother is dead and I haven't forgotten about him. I do give a damn about him. I think about him all the time.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I hope and pray most souls who enter sheol go into the last "realm", or non existence.
Why is that, don't you think eternal torture is a just punishment?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

well thats your opinion and your entitled to it. i myself am not anti-christian, i am anti-religion. but i dont expect you to understand the difference at this point in your development.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

well thats your opinion and your entitled to it. i myself am not anti-christian, i am anti-religion. but i dont expect you to understand the difference at this point in your development.

it's not a question if I am entitled to an opinion or not, it is however a logical and rational assumption...

you may, and by all means, expect me to understand very well... coming from the Heavy Metal community I have thought this out quite a bit and have read plenty of input from other posters on this subject.

I myself am not anti-religious, my religious practice personally is Heavy Metal Music... I practice it, listen to it and adhere to it literally.

One thing however that is not tolerable is any belief system which practices hatred or belittlement towards another belief or religious practice, which atheism does... On the other hand this is something I do expect you to understand at this point in your development, and it is also expected of you to be able to see how the rest of the atheistic community interacts with their peers... in an outwardly active aggressive fashion.

If the atheists want to be anti-religious then why not aim their hatred towards a super unjust religious establishment... (Islam) Specially those in the UK/Britain? there is some very unjust acts taking place right beside these British citizens and right under their noses. Not all people of Islam are bad don't get me wrong, it is just their institution could use a little updating.

Sometimes I just think British and Canadian atheists are just scared of Islam and that unknown that they do not understand, so they turn around lash out at the only thing they do understand which is the belief structure that has established their civilizations... not very smart imo.

Another of the most obvious things is that if the establishment was to not exist tomorrow, the adherents of nihilistic atheism more than likely would not survive... factoring in their age range and by the sheer manhood of their persona -- meeting them in public and on video, eg; Richard Dawkins. In that type of fantasy society only the strongest survive and surely Dawkins and his likeys just aren't that.

I wouldn't say you are anti-religious = (adhering to a belief system) there are just too many to count on any given day, including your own. I would rather argue that you are anti-christian (and I know why...)

I for one you're not fooling, and contrary to what you may believe, it is not cool... nor is it civilized or logical to attack fellow humans in a mental or physical manner, this makes atheism and its individual adherents look really bad.

edit on 4-5-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

It's really very simple. Someone says something like, "Jesus died for your sins......" and an atheist answers, "Yeah, I don't believe that."

Nothing sinister, evil, cruel or hurtful.

Now, if you say your religion revolves around Heavy Metal music, I can't say "I don't believe in that." because Heavy Metal music does indeed exist. How you find the divine in it escapes me, but that's okay.

There is no shortage of religious believers that mock and threaten atheists with eternal damnation, attempting to drive home a sense of a worthless life, without their fantasy gods.
edit on 5-5-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join