It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yes This Is Another Thread Calling For A New Forum...But I Think It Has Merit!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I would actually like such a forum. I have always struggled with math, I admit. Maybe such a thread would teach me a thing or two and help me to understand math better.

You have my support, anyway.

That is quite a bit of support from you gimme_some_truth...very much appreciated!

I was hoping to get some veteran members in on this...thanks!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Aww shucks, you flatter me.

I only wish I still had my old papers on the little formula I "came up with" when I once decided to try and calculate the age of the universe. I remember it was right in line with the accepted scientific answer. I could probably remember the little formula , redo the math and share with you guys in such a forum, to see what everyone thought.

See, look at that, I already have an idea for a thread ( And I rarely make threads)!

I was always proud of myself for that one because math has always been a weak point for me. I can barely do simple addition in my head!

But anyway, yeah, Id love to see a math forum. I think we could benefit from it and frankly, I know I sure could! I love to learn and when it comes to math, I have lots to learn. Just go easy on me. When it comes to math, I am not the sharpest crayon in the box.

But like I said, you have my full support for such a forum.

edit on 26-4-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Aww shucks, you flatter me.

I only wish I still had my old papers on the little formula I "came up with" when I once decided to try and calculate the age of the universe. I remember it was right in line with the accepted scientific answer. I could probably remember the little formula , redo the math and share with you guys in such a forum, to see what everyone thought.

In such a forum...if you could come up with your starting point...and an idea where the formula was heading...you might just have an answer...or a long equation...leading to an awnser!

I would love to see where you were headed though...if you can come up with a starting point!

I am sure you started with something like "if ...x...(given some known) "!

But anyway, yeah, Id love to see a math forum. I think we could benefit from it and frankly, I know I sure could! I love to learn and when it comes to math, I have lots to learn. Just go easy on me. When it comes to math, I am not the sharpest crayon in the box.

Deal...I am not great at writing...so you're going to have to go easy on me too!

I didn't major in English...so my spelling and grammar is horrific sometimes...numbers I can do...the rest needs a little work!

edit on 26-4-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I am bound to have that paper around some where. I kept it just because I was so proud of myself. Hey, for some one who can barely add single digit numbers in his head, calculating the age of the universe is like climbing Mt. Everest!

I remember I did finish the formula and the math and everything. And some where I found a list of the answers different scientists and colleges came up with ( All around the same number) and mine was right in line with them. I will have to dig it up.

But if such a forum is made, you can bet I will be making a thread about it. Id be honored for ATS to pick it apart,check the math and see what they thought of it! Id really love to put it in a thread in a math forum.
edit on 26-4-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

Deal...I am not great at writing...so you're going to have to go easy on me too!

I didn't major in English...so my spelling and grammar is horrific sometimes...numbers I can do...the rest needs a little work!

No worries, I am an advocate of "free expression writing"

Writing is my forte. Numbers deflate my brain. Maybe such a forum would help patch the leak in my mind.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Writing is my forte. Numbers deflate my brain. Maybe such a forum would help patch the leak in my mind.

Ahh...common problem...I leak every now and then too!

Maybe a patch for all of us that struggle a bit with math...learning and understanding seem to make sense in a forum (or thread) that would deny ignorance!

Not really pushing hard for it...but it would seem to make sense!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Ahh...common problem...I leak every now and then too!

Even the most complex of minds ( Not to say I am complex...far from it) Love a good fart joke now and then

Now, if that is not quite what you meant, just consider that egg on my face, scrambled.

Maybe a patch for all of us that struggle a bit with math...learning and understanding seem to make sense in a forum (or thread) that would deny ignorance!

My thinking is right in line with yours on this one. I am certainly ignorant when it comes to math. Such a forum would help me to deny ignorance as far as that is concerned. I love physics for example. I can grasp the concepts of physics, but can't easily grasp the math behind it. Such a forum would help me with that.

Such a forum would help me in many ways,to patch that proverbial leak.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Even the most complex of minds ( Not to say I am complex...far from it) Love a good fart joke now and then

Ya...opps...forgot my...
...there...see English and grammar need some help!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Lucky for you, I turn into a 6 year old boy when it comes to fart jokes. Hey, farts are funny. (George Carlin is coming to mind right now
)

Hey, with a math forum we could figure out a formula that determines what type of fart you will get depending on what you eat!

Okay, maybe not. ( See? I turn into a 6 year old boy)

But yes, I really would get a lot of use from such a forum. I have a thread in mind already ( And I rarely make threads) and would love to see what ATS thought of that thread....

Bill? Mark? The rest of you ATS staffers?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Like you...I hate a mystery...so here is the formula;

.75x + .25 (40-x) =.45 (40)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

The sad thing is, you may have just written something entirely random and I would have no idea.

A math forum will help me figure that out staff!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

The sad thing is, you may have just written something entirely random and I would have no idea.

Ya..not so random though...let me explain!

.75x +.25 (40-x) =.45 (40)
.75 + 10 - .25x = 18
.50x = 8

So x= 16

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Anyway this is not a hope for a forum that worries about finding an answer...more like just looking for one given our technology...and minds of course!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

If "x" is 16 and you place X in place of the problem...in this example:

16 ml of 75% solution contains (.75)( 16) or 12 ml of sulfuric acid.
24 ml of 25% solution contains (,25) (24) or 6 ml of sulfuric acid.
40 ml of 45% solution contains (.45) (40) or 18 ml of sulfuric acid.

Then 16 + 24 and 12 + 6 = 18

So you end up with 40- x +40-16 =24

ETA: This is the simple solution....75x + .75y = .45(40)

x + y = 40

>75x + .25y = .45 (40)

So here we go...

.75x+.25(40-x) =.45(40)
.75x+10-.25x=18
.50x+10=8
x=16

x+y=40

16 + y = 40

Y = 24

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I'm all for the math forum - that would rock! I've heard waaaay too many members say "the numbers don't lie" around here. I bet they can't define the three different methods of deriving an "average". If we're here in the spirit of "denying ignorance", we should also furnish members with the tools necessary to accomplish that. It would also provide a safe haven from the doomsayers...wait, will numerologists be allowed in?

Besides, if we can have a forum called "Japan"...yeah, "Japan".

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
I'm all for the math forum - that would rock! I've heard waaaay too many members say "the numbers don't lie" around here. I bet they can't define the three different methods of deriving an "average". If we're here in the spirit of "denying ignorance", we should also furnish members with the tools necessary to accomplish that. It would also provide a safe haven from the doomsayers...wait, will numerologists be allowed in?

Thanks for the support...and of course everyone (even Numerologists) would be welcome!

The "average" sometimes referred to as the "mean"...is a good place to start!

ETA: Sometimes the mode is confused as the mean...and then you throw in median...and everything gets really confusing!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Oh dear you had me with "math". Then I had to stick my neck out and inquire as to the whereabouts of the numerologists. Okay, well I will do my best to find it in my heart to nurture a respect toward those determined to solve world challenges with simple math. I can't guarantee I'll succeed in conveying said respect, but in the name of math I will try!

Or we just won't get the forum. Or maybe we already have the forum in a parallel universe where I'm moderating the *&$% out of the numerologists. Me thinks that's more likely than getting our beloved math forum. Then again, they surprised me by giving us the geo-engineering forum.

Fingers and toes crossed...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Oh dear you had me with "math". Then I had to stick my neck out and inquire as to the whereabouts of the numerologists. Okay, well I will do my best to find it in my heart to nurture a respect toward those determined to solve world challenges with simple math. I can't guarantee I'll succeed in conveying said respect, but in the name of math I will try!

Or we just won't get the forum. Or maybe we already have the forum in a parallel universe where I'm moderating the *&$% out of the numerologists. Me thinks that's more likely than getting our beloved math forum. Then again, they surprised me by giving us the geo-engineering forum.

Fingers and toes crossed...

I think that is ATS's plan...to surprise us every now and then!

I have been crossing my fingers too...hoping it might be at least considered!

Maybe it's just a matter of waiting on SkepticOverlord...or Springer to happen by this way!

They'll have a e-mail meeting about it...laugh a lot...then maybe scratch their heads and say..."Not a bad idea"!

Or not!

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I have said that too.

But for some reason, they chalk it up to "speculation"...

Excuse me, these guys are PAID to get their numbers right, and you say they're speculating? Man, I'd love to make 7 figures a year just "speculating"...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Man, I'd love to make 7 figures a year just "speculating"...

I would love to make 7 figures a year doing anything!

Speculating...sounds like a good job!

I'd love to run through some of the data that these people put out...that would make for an interesting thread in the mathematic forum!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join