Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Yes This Is Another Thread Calling For A New Forum...But I Think It Has Merit!

page: 1
10
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This idea comes by way of seeing literally dozens of threads about mathematics!

Yep...so you guessed it...I think we need a mathematics forum!

I understand a lot of what I am going to cover falls under education, computers and technology, philosophies, and of course space exploration (some of every forum really), etc...!

The idea that we use new technology in High School and Colleges...and mathematics being the basis for a ton of scientific facts...might merit its own forum.

www.ehow.com...


One of the biggest factors in deciding what calculator to buy is the ability to use the calculator on high school standardized tests. The ACT and SAT, the two most common college entrance exams, have restrictions that prohibit the use of certain devices. The ACT allows the TI 84 in all models, but it prohibits the TI 89. The SAT allows both the TI 84 and the TI 89. Since these tests determine a great deal for post-high school education, familiarity with one's own calculator is key to success on the math portions.


Some new code might need to be written for us math junkies...so instead of having something like this:

(x+a)^n=∑_(k=0)^n▒〖(n¦k) x^k a^(n-k) 〗

It would be seen in its more understood form...like this:



I think it would be appreciated by a lot of members if they could go to a forum and have some of their mathematical questions answered.

And for us math junkies...we would have a place to review calculator functions, explore theorems, and generally challenge each other intellectually with stumping problems.

I can envision long winded discussions about poission theory's, statistical data, hypothesized analysis, etc...!

Maybe explore programs like Statdisk and Statcrunch!

Statdisk

Statcrunch

I just think that it would be neat to have a place to do nothing but math...and seeing that it encompasses so many different forums...why not cover the mathematical problems from those in one place?

Anyway...just a wild...off the hip... thought!

Here are a few examples of math related threads;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...



ETA: I suppose in the mean time...I would be happy to help out anyone with their problems...to the extent that I can anyway!
edit on 25-4-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)




posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Here is the TI-89 Titanium...I have worked through most of the functions...and figured out most of the new application software...but it was a battle for sure!



I am pretty proficient with the TI-83 and 84 models...and know my way around Statdisk and Statcruch with ease too!

Back in the day though...I could have used some help figuring out the TI-89 Titanium...as the internet didn't offer much about it when it first came out! The instruction manual is literally a book...and reading it and running through the functions took weeks!

A forum...and some people who had used one before would have been loads of help!

ETA: HERE is a download for the TI-83/84 if you would like to use one on your computer!
edit on 25-4-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I think we need a new forum about members requesting new forums.



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
I think we need a new forum about members requesting new forums.


Well then why don't you start a thread and ask about that?

Because you're bringing nothing to this one!



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hey at the very least I am bumping your thread dude.


But I really don’t see any place for a mathematics forum on ATS, perhaps BTS but I don’t think that there would be too many people interested in such a forum and as such it would just be a waste of time. I can think of much more worthwhile topics that should have a dedicated forum.



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
Hey at the very least I am bumping your thread dude.


But I really don’t see any place for a mathematics forum on ATS, perhaps BTS but I don’t think that there would be too many people interested in such a forum and as such it would just be a waste of time. I can think of much more worthwhile topics that should have a dedicated forum.


That was your purpose...bumping my thread..."dude"?




I can think of much more worthwhile topics that should have a dedicated forum.



By all means...please do share!



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Fukushima maybe an idea. Afterall the disaster will be with us for eons.

Or even a forum on US Tyranny Exposed.
edit on 25-4-2012 by TheMindWar because: Added info



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
Fukushima maybe an idea. Afterall the disaster will be with us for eons.

Or even a forum on US Tyranny Exposed.
edit on 25-4-2012 by TheMindWar because: Added info


Ask and you shall receive!

www.abovetopsecret.com...



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Jerry, sorry you have gotten such a wishy washy response thus far.

Excellent idea, definitely a forum I would like to see.

My math skills have somewhat declined since my school days, and this would give me a chance to brush up and maybe learn a thing or too.

Even if its not a forum per se, I would enjoy perhaps a subforum thread of threads perhaps authored by yourself into the topic.

Forum unto itself or not, have a go my friend!



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
Jerry, sorry you have gotten such a wishy washy response thus far.

Excellent idea, definitely a forum I would like to see.

My math skills have somewhat declined since my school days, and this would give me a chance to brush up and maybe learn a thing or too.

Even if its not a forum per se, I would enjoy perhaps a subforum thread of threads perhaps authored by yourself into the topic.

Forum unto itself or not, have a go my friend!


Thank You...first off!


It is nice to see someone finds some value in my idea!

I agree...if not a forum...maybe a subforum of some sort might be valuable to some members!

Might give me a chance to learn a thing or two also...mathematics seems to be ever evolving...and constant learning and brushing up keeps the mind sharp!

I will see how this rolls out...if nothing else...I suppose members are always free to PM me with their mathematical questions...and I'll do my best to answer them and give some instruction to solving similar problems they might run across in the future!
edit on 25-4-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv
 


No no, dude, the purpose was to make a light hearted joke playing on the title of your thread not to bump it. Nice to see you have such a wonderfully fantastic sense of humour though even if it does appear to be failing you right now. Really chill out don’t take my post to heart mate it was just a joke.


Although I do seriously think that such a forum is not needed and there are other topics that are much more deserving of a forum, such as a forum covering conspiracy literature for example or perhaps reorganising the forums to reflect regional issues better.



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin
 





No no, dude, the purpose was to make a light hearted joke playing on the title of your thread not to bump it.


Okay...I see...but I want you to start using "
" this from now on...might save you and other members a lot of headaches!

Your ideas for new threads (or forums) are valid...I just happen to think this one has some validity also...I mean if you think about it...you use some sort of mathematics everyday!

And honestly...do you think you are well enough versed in mathematics...that you couldn't use a brush up in some areas?
edit on 25-4-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think it has merit, could be grouped with in same area as Science, etc. I don't think it would be a wildfire thread area, on the other hand you never know theoretical mathematics is pretty exciting! There are plenty of forums on here that maybe have a thread a week, so I say yes!



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv
 


I like the idea a lot actually, there are often times where "the math didn't add up" but it wasn't worth making a new thread over...now it would be!

Also, I think a horticulture forum might be a good one too, unless it exists and I've somehow overlooked it...



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
I think it has merit, could be grouped with in same area as Science, etc. I don't think it would be a wildfire thread area, on the other hand you never know theoretical mathematics is pretty exciting! There are plenty of forums on here that maybe have a thread a week, so I say yes!


I agree...it is pretty exciting...but then I guess I am kind of a nerd too!


I don't think it would be extremely popular...but it would be interesting...for all levels of math (I am positive we have some junior high kids posting at times)!

I constantly see threads over some relatively good mathematical problems...and some really basic mathematical problems too...so problem would be welcomed...(along with those far out...take days to calculate problems)!

I just see all kinds of applications for a forum like this finance, figures, travel, estimations, probability, hypothesis testing, population hypothesis, etc...the list is endless!

Computer geeks and algorithms and binary code...that gets interesting!



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigfoot12714
reply to post by jerryznv
 


I like the idea a lot actually, there are often times where "the math didn't add up" but it wasn't worth making a new thread over...now it would be!

Also, I think a horticulture forum might be a good one too, unless it exists and I've somehow overlooked it...


No there is not an horticulture forum...but it would be a good one too...maybe all agriculture and horticulture combined into one!

Could call it "Home Grown"...or something like that!


Combining apple and pear trees...right in your own front yard!



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Excellent idea. A math forum would organize the threads a little bit more!

I'd vote for it, certainly...and maybe even drop in occasionally! It's good to learn (or relearn) something new every day, even if you have to work for it.


edit on CWednesdaypm282831f31America/Chicago25 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
Excellent idea. A math forum would organize the threads a little bit more!

I'd vote for it, certainly...and maybe even drop in occasionally! It's good to learn (or relearn) something new every day, even if you have to work for it.


edit on CWednesdaypm282831f31America/Chicago25 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)


Thanks for the support Starchild...if we spend some time learning it...we can use it...somewhere!

If it does come to be...it would be awesome to have you stop by...occasionally...or frequently!

A little review never hurts...I need to do that myself occasionally!



posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Maybe just for curiosity sake we should throw out a problem...so here we go...

A chemist has a solution that is 75% sulfuric acid and a solution that is 25% sulfuric acid. How much of each should should the chemist use to obtain 40 milliliters of a solution that is 45% sulfuric acid?

Now I know there are a lot of people that can solve that...but in all honesty...how many can't...or have no idea where to start?

That is the point of this...just helping...and playing around with equations a bit...seems legitimate!



posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I would actually like such a forum. I have always struggled with math, I admit. Maybe such a thread would teach me a thing or two and help me to understand math better.


You have my support, anyway.
edit on 26-4-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)






top topics



 
10
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join