It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 2 New College Graduates Are Jobless or Underemployed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm an Xer.
My hubby maybe just found a job after a year looking with solid skills and a 26 year one company work record.

There are no jobs.

I feel for the those of working age.
Older people are ticking me off- Sr. Citizens. My dad worked hard but he had a childless boss HELP him take over a family business at the end of a family tree. He always went to work, but I honestly never saw him do much but go to lunch and answer the phone sometimes.

They sit around and watch Fox and think young folks are just lazy. Their problem- their world- revolves around being mad at Obama because they can't get any interest on their big pile in the banks.

I only know what I see- no compassion, and total trust in the system - just not Obama.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

No jobs = Start up your own company

or you could buy your way into an existing company.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Right, and that's easy for young people to do with no money, and no credit, except maybe student loan debt, just starting out.
That sort of attitude is exactly what I mean. There's some disconnect with people.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
That's what happens when you get a B.A. in English or Anthropology. There weren't any jobs in those "liberal arts" fields before students started their programs. There aren't any after. Whose fault is that? Did anybody do any research at all? Now these folks will want us to pay back their student loans. What about the 1 in 2 college graduates who ARE employed? Business, engineering, nursing--fields that have a demand. Of course, you will never see a headline that way because it's not as compelling. But the "glass is half full" is just as valid as the "glass is half empty."

Further, this is not a new phenomenon. I graduated with a BA in Anthropology in 1971 to the same bleak reality faced by today's graduates. I went back for a Masters Degree in a different field, and still, only 50% of the graduates had found a professional level job in two years: The year was 1974. You can't blame this on the current economy. It's been that way for half a century.

I do blame clueless students (and I was one of them), but I also blame the colleges themselves who keep churning out people in fields that don't have a chance for employment. They keep pushing for enrollees because it keeps them in jobs. They are exploiting students for their own benefit and couldn't give a rat's patotie if their graduates can't find jobs. The online schools are even worse. They'll accept nearly anyone whio can pay.

And third, I blame the easy availability of student loans. The philosophy is great! Let no one be refused a college education because they can't afford it. But the reality is quite different. It has been shown repeatedly that easy money raises tuition. Students don't really care what tuition costs if someone else is paying for it. It's only when the loans come due that the students start whining about paying it back. (And yeah. I paid mine back.)

A good example of this is the G.I. Bill. Today's GI Bill is really fantastic. Full tuition, even at private schools, plus E-5 base pay as a living allowance. That sure beats the $200 a month I got. But historically, every time the GI Bill pay goes up, all those "On-base" remote colleges raise their tuition to match. Another good example of exploitation.

Nailed it. This is the problem. Kids go to college today to get degrees for jobs that don't need degrees or they get degrees that don't provide jobs. On top of that, they finance it 100% with student loans they can't pay back.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana

Right, and that's easy for young people to do with no money, and no credit, except maybe student loan debt, just starting out.
That sort of attitude is exactly what I mean. There's some disconnect with people.

You should watch the movie the Social Network.

Mark Zuckerberg started up Facebook with only $19,000 from his friend and

co- founder Eduardo Severin.

When that money ran out, they successfully convinced venture capitalist Peter Theil

to invest $500,000 for a 10% stake of the company.

The only person holding you back is yourself. Don't play the victim card.

It's counterproductive.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

(Facebook)
Based on a business model exploiting advertising as it's source of profit, which most people find encroaching to
say the least.
Today Facebook gives us a profit warning just before their IPO, seems most people prefer browsing etc on mobile devices, rather than desktop and FBK have not fully intergrated.
Anyway, graduates will suffer as globilisation takes it's toll, trade agreements disadvantage the working populations
of the Western world as cheap labour is exploited by 'big' business. Govt enablers will slowly gut the middle class for personal reward . Not fully appreciating (Hopefully) the true traitorism of their actions.
The people need to fully appreciate that Freedom in all things , economic and political generates 'Super' wealth,it is the Golden Gooose without it the majority will be serfs .

In the mean time as the never ending recession / tsunami depression relentlessly continues Protectionism will eventually result as people vote for jobs at home, sad thing is that it takes time - which is limited- to build new businesses so alot of graduates will not reach their true potential. Personally i'm gutted about that and am praying for a game changing outcome that can save all the workers arses.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zngland

The recession will come to an end January 2013.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

lolwut?
This global debt crisis has barely started, with everything unravelling in europe and the US thinking it can print its way to prosperity, Japans economy showing disturbing signs, chinas monolithic property bubble as well as dwindling exports, the derivatives bubble, the uk doing....god knows what.
You think this will be over in 2013??
I think it will only just start heating up in 2013.

And with regards to your Social Network comment,
Theres a reason why its a movie, because things like that rarely happen, unless you think we can all become multi millionaires in the midst of a global depression.
Its incredibly tough out there, I graduated with a 2:1 degree 3 years ago and all Ive managed to get since then was a 6 month job in a charity shop. I apply for every job going from bar jobs to shop assistant and call centre operative, dont even get an interview. My local town has over 25% youth unemployment by the way.
I'm starting a voluntary 8 week work placement on monday to do with website marketing, hopefully it will open some doors.
I think you need to get out of that flying saucer of yours and live on planet earth.
edit on 11-5-2012 by SpaceMonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The 50% that are employed are employed by their parents to complete that graduates new cellar living quarters. The other 50% have parents that don't have cellars.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys

lolwut?
This global debt crisis has barely started, with everything unravelling in europe and the US thinking it can print its way to prosperity, Japans economy showing disturbing signs, chinas monolithic property bubble as well as dwindling exports, the derivatives bubble, the uk doing....god knows what.
You think this will be over in 2013??
I think it will only just start heating up in 2013.

And with regards to your Social Network comment,
Theres a reason why its a movie, because things like that rarely happen, unless you think we can all become multi millionaires in the midst of a global depression.
Its incredibly tough out there, I graduated with a 2:1 degree 3 years ago and all Ive managed to get since then was a 6 month job in a charity shop. I apply for every job going from bar jobs to shop assistant and call centre operative, dont even get an interview. My local town has over 25% youth unemployment by the way.
I'm starting a voluntary 8 week work placement on monday to do with website marketing, hopefully it will open some doors.
I think you need to get out of that flying saucer of yours and live on planet earth.
edit on 11-5-2012 by SpaceMonkeys because: (no reason given)

Germany will show leadership in Europe.

I'm hoping when Greece jumps out of the Euro then Germany will also jump out and

back to the German Mark.

Unfortunately, the UK has fallen into a double dip recession.

The USA will be in a position to bail you out ----again ---- in January 2013.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join