It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 2 New College Graduates Are Jobless or Underemployed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by brill

Yeah.. something about sitting in a cubicle staring at a grey wall with cheesy motivational posters and 8 bosses telling you the same thing for 8.5 hours a day, 5 days a week in an environment that stifles individualism, creativeness and openness .... just doesn't appeal to people anymore?
OMG THOSE LAZY KIDS!

God forbid people want to enjoy life.

Perhaps but in this economy beggars can't be choosers. Lots of folks would like the fringe benefits at work, who would deny that. To me its a culture of entitlement at times versus dealing with hard reality.

brill

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
In related news...

The latest census data shows nearly one in two Americans, or 150 million people, have fallen into poverty — or could be classified as low income.

www.democracynow.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Nothing could be more dangerous to the stability of this country.

Very worrisome.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Funny but while we know the realities of our younger educated generation (my daughter one of them) we have a government that is giving the finger to our American students while bringing foreign students on visas to be educated in the US and then they have not problem getting tax payer research grants and jobs in America.

I guess American grads are under performers when the government and their corporate pimps need foreigners to take the jobs with benefits included.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'm a local in Singapore. The unemployment and underemployment situation here is dire too.

Currently, I have a close friend and he's many years jobless. Guess what - his friend is also jobless despite having decent qualification. I'm being underemployed and underpaid.

Singapore government and media keep spinning positive figures. Unlike the United States, the welfare and help groups here are sweet talkers - I was jobless for just above 1 year between 2008 and 2009. They couldn't get me a reasonable job and they rejected financial assistance request.

I want people to know that "YOU ARE NOT ALONE".

edit on 4/24/2012 by wisdomnotemotion because: typo

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
as mentioned in another dup-thread..

Here's an idea

Head on over to Craigslist, look under the Gigs or Jobs sections at what's in demand in your area, make notes of the commonalities and trends, then go buy a book and LEARN.

pretty tough - huh

I guess these college kids are just waiting around for mommy & daddy to buy them a job too

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by wisdomnotemotion

You will have more luck trough the proper channels getting a visa to work in the US than probably finding a job in your country.

Trust me I maybe upset with the way things are in the US when it comes to foreigners but hell if you can do it go for it.

Sadly my daughter have two BS science graduated with honors now she is another degree in health care because finding jobs in her field is difficult do to foreign competition, but what else is there to do but get more education even when that means more bills before even finding a job.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
College education is just one more example of, EVERYTHING THEY TOLD YOU IS A LIE.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by brill

I'm not sure who they're interviewing but I would not be surprised if the people who did this article skewed older.

I'm 30 myself and I know that I can't choose my own hours, my own pay or even my own access to websites. I abide by the company's rules. I perform a service and I get paid.

If kids think that companies will kow-tow to their needs and wants, a reality check is a good idea.

Also, I believe that it's a favorite past-time of baby boomers to trash and denigrate the "lesser" generations. Let's not forget that they went from protesting the Vietnam War to the Reagan era and never looked back. Sure, there are some holdouts but they're usually dismissed as old, washed-up hippies.
edit on 24-4-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-4-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

"We're looking for more experience." = "You're not kissing my ass enough."

"We're just not interested in you." = "You're too young for this job."

Learn these two phrases and their hidden meanings. Baby boomers are the biggest #ing hypocrites that I've ever met when it comes to age discrimination and holding back younger, skilled workers.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

And yet, I've witnessed it quite widely in the other direction when it came to layoff decisions.

When it's bad, it's bad EVERYWHERE.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
as mentioned in another dup-thread..

Here's an idea

Head on over to Craigslist, look under the Gigs or Jobs sections at what's in demand in your area, make notes of the commonalities and trends, then go buy a book and LEARN.

pretty tough - huh

I guess these college kids are just waiting around for mommy & daddy to buy them a job too

I'm guessing from your attitude you don't have a degree!?

It's not always about that, I'm 34 and got my degree through part time study with open university (paid for by me) whilst working full time. You can learn new trades all you want (you and the 100,000 other people all doing the same thing) but then you get handed the next slap in the face when you go for an interview for some crappy low paid job and the 'Your overqualified for this job, sorry' phrase starts appearing. You can't force people to employ you! There's not enough damn jobs for everybody! Because I can't find work that I'm trained for I have been accepting ANY crappy low paid job I can find but these days most of them are temporary/short term contracts and there is enormous competition for them because as I said before THERE'S NOT ENOUGH DAMN JOBS FOR EVERYBODY!!

The entire bloody reason I worked to get a degree was to strive for a better paid job doing something I enjoyed, NOT to spend years working some SH1T job because some rich bankers and some idiot politicians decided to destroy the worldwide economy!

Oh and FYI my parents were both normal working class people and never got me or helped me to get any job!

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Anon77

Having a daughter with two degrees and now working on her third because the last job she had could not even pay for her student loans I have to agree with you 100%.

That is why I didn't even bother answering our friend bashing college students is not even worth it.

edit on 24-4-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Our company is hiring more and more older workers 40-50 because they get up and come to work, do their job and go home. no 2 hour lunches and cell phone to the ear or texting 4 hours a day

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Anon77

Having a daughter with two degrees and now working on her third because the last job she had could not even pay for her student loans I have to agree with you 100%.

That is why I didn't even bother answering our friend bashing college students is not even worth it.

edit on 24-4-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

Yup, student loans are a killer. I got a £2K one (because some of the work for the OU course was part time in college) about 12 years ago now and I've only just in the last few years finished paying it off. My sister who was at Glasgow Uni on 2 degree courses has run up more than 19K of loans! I don't know how she's ever gonna pay those off! She is (like me) unemployed and also accepting any crappy job when it appears. There's so much competition for employment.

I agree 100% on that, but that comment just really annoyed me. Such ignorance, had to fight back.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Awful lot of whiners in this thread. Seems if people can't have the perfect job (any "job" sounds terrible to me,) they'd rather sit on their computer all day and dick around on facebook.

Let me give you the perspective of a business owner. I run an online business and at any given time I employ 10 people and many more freelancers. It's the worst thing in the world when a competent employee tells you she's leaving because that means I now have to interview wave after wave of useless gen Y kids who spent the last couple years of their lives partying and earning liberal arts degrees instead of developing a work ethic. Due to the nature of my business I more or less have to use kids in their 20's because most people older can barely log into their email let alone do SEO. I'm younger than most of the people I interview. I dropped out of high school because I realized early on that the "go to school, get good grades, get into good college, get good grades, get good job, be happy" reality went out the window in 2008. So I started making money through various methods online. 4 years later I've built a small empire through not much more than hard work. I have no special skills and there is absolutely no reason the idiots I interview couldn't do what I do if they have the desire to achieve it.

But it seems no one has the desire to do anything.

"I can't come in today because *fake cough* I think I have pneumonia."

"Sorry I've taken so many breaks today, but my friend has been texting me the funniest story ever."

"I have to take off early on Friday 'cause I have to take my mom to the hospital."

Take your mom to the hospital?! DO YOU NOT THINK I JUST HEARD YOU TALKING TO YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT DIRTBIKING FIVE F**KING SECONDS AGO??!

Now I pay good money too. My two employees that have been with me the longest make close to six figures. But it seems the possibility of money like that still isn't enough to motivate most people.

There are jobs EVERYWHERE. There are ways of making money EVERYWHERE. But people of my generation are a bunch of sheltered, spoiled brats who think spending mommy and daddy's money on a philosophy degree entitles them to anything and everything. It has nothing to do with the economy, there are always things that need to be done. But if it isn't exactly what they want to do at that exact moment, it's beneath them.

If you go onto craigslist and cannot find ONE job that you can do, then congratulations. You are the first unemployable person in human history.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
Oh, but hasn't everyone heard? The unemployment rate is falling.

It's fallen low enough in Georgia that starting sometime this month they are going to severely cut everyone's benefits that is on them.

Of course no one mentions that the crisis started here earlier than elsewhere, because housing was SO HOT here, it melted down first, like in October of 2007-8 as I recall. Wow, we are 4-5 years into this thing, and guess what?

That means a lot of people are NOT being counted.

Youth, minorities, people that's professions are in the housing industry- those people aren't any lazier than anyone else...they just aren't in demand.

Trump explained the obvious.

We had a terrible job report and the unemployment rate dropped to 8.2%?

The 8.2% is a bogus number manufactured to get Obama re-elected.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by HEYJOSE
College education is just one more example of, EVERYTHING THEY TOLD YOU IS A LIE.

Well, not everything.

Tell the whole truth. 50% ARE getting jobs.

Apparently, it helps to pick a good major.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Therealtrayvonmartin

Sorry, I don't see anyone whining. As a matter of fact, I am in the same boat as they are. I have a four year degree in the field of education, but have not found a job since I graduated four years ago. I am more than halfway through my masters in an area considered high needs and have a much better chance at finding a job teaching children with learning and behavioral disorders than instrumental music. I work in the fast food industry from a job I had while I was in college and currently substitute teach for several school districts.

Its nice that you found yourself a way to make money, but to throw out blatant generalizations about those in your own generation because of your limited experiences isn't a very nice thing to do.

edit on 24-4-2012 by LR2543 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
There is a well known saying by grads - ' If you have no wish to be poor, than it would be bad if you are uneducated and have no oppotunities in life. But it would be a tragedy if you are educated and yet remain poor.'

The premise is that if you are contend with life, not overly ambitious, you can get by in life, as mechanics, teachers, salesmen or social workers. $50,000 a year would be sustainable for life and love by one.

However, if you seek for more, and are intelligent enough having been taught to critically analyse details, and yet poor, then there is either something wrong with you or the system. Find out what they are, correct them and you will have jobs for sure.

Internet had been a divine gift for all humanity. Facebook, Google, etc are but the tip of the iceburg of successful companies with extreme profits. There are many others whom had made sustainable profits.

Engineering, science, accounting and medicine can only do so much. Those are straightforward subjects and be assured of salaries. But then, ask yourself, who creates companies that employs them? Most certainly not engineers, or doctors, or accountants, but others from different disciplines that DARES to become entreprenuers themselves, including even the uneducated. Its that spark of humanity that keeps the pace of progress upwards - courage, intelligence, creativity and resiliance.

As for the uneducated, it does not mean the end if you are ambitious. Books are a way to short cut the steps up the ladder, in place of experienced. If you are poor but experienced, there is no reason why you should remain poor. No nation can afford everyone as a PHD scholar. There must be diversity for a true economic power to sustain itself. Without technicians or mechanics or artists, etc, the nation will die on its own with imported products or labour. Every human is a potential for the successful evolutionof mankind.

It boils down to being paid fairly. Wealth must be shared. If one is paid $3.50 an hour, I would suggest that one sells himself off as a slave. As a slave, one gets housing and medical benefits, sundays off, free food. He can even have a love life and children as well.

Unfortunately, mankind are paid such wages, educated or not, while the rich gets richer and richer. May the rich knows that they can NEVER take their wealth with them when they passed on, nor hope that their loved ones given the money through priviledges and good life can maintain it safely to last.Time to wake up....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join