It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'They're killing us': world's most endangered tribe cries for help

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

'They're killing us': world's most endangered tribe cries for help

www.guardian.co.uk

Trundling along the dirt roads of the Amazon, the giant logging lorry dwarfed the vehicle of the investigators following it. The trunks of nine huge trees were piled high on the back – incontrovertible proof of the continuing destruction of the world's greatest rainforest and its most endangered tribe, the Awá.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Hard to even find words to add to this really. How can these people do this just for some money? It's beyond belief that laws aren't in place to protect tribes like this. Maybe they thought they could keep things quiet before journalists found out about them or something?

Either way there's people all over the world that know about it now, and I hope the companies involved are ashamed of themselves and something is done about it quickly.

And that's without even bringing the destruction of the rainforest into it! When you add that onto it, it's just insane trying to understand how they can carry on doing this.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-4-2012 by robhines because: added

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by robhines

How can these people do this just for some money?

You cannot blame the loggers, their bosses or their bosses’ bosses’.
Blame money and our corrupt economic system which destroys 3rd world nations like Brazil and forces its people to do immoral and destructive things in order to survive.

If cutting down a rainforest was the only way for you to earn a living then you would do it to, like it or not.

+19 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gaddafi
If cutting down a rainforest was the only way for you to earn a living then you would do it to, like it or not.

Seriously, I wouldn't.

I'd rather be out of work.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I would probably be capable of some truly horrendous acts if it meant the difference between my family starving or eating. I agree with the other poster on that.

Now that there is some media attention, perhaps there will be a push and the companies will get 'noble' because of stockholder fears.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by robhines

Seriously, I wouldn't.

I'd rather be out of work.

I am going to assume that you do not live in a 3rd world nation.

ETA:
I respect and share your care for the environment and the native peoples of the Amazon.
But these things will continue to happen around there world if we do not attack the root cause (money).

edit on 21-4-2012 by Gaddafi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Seriously, I wouldn't. I'd rather be out of work.

You do understand that being out of work there is not the same as being out of work where you're from, yes? Do you have kids? I don't but I can see how people would do just about anything for theirs.

ETA I went off topic. Let's stay on topic. The point is, this is horrible for the tribe. I think it better to notderail an important thread, sorry OP.
edit on 21-4-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The choice of putting food on there table or nothing always wins.... Whats messed up is that capitalism is going to force these people that are self sufficient into our slave based society.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
apocalypto! avatar!!

the conquistadors, the British, the usofAmericans..

the oppresion of Mayans & virtually all New World tribes/ native Ams...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Brazil has the world's sixth largest economy in the world last I checked...third world nation?

This is about people not giving a crap about natives...nobody ever has, and I guess they still don't. To many people would rather destroy other peoples lives if it means they get to worship at the alter of the all mighty dollar.

"in god we trust"
edit on 21-4-2012 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Phantom
Brazil has the world's sixth largest economy in the world last I checked...third world nation?

This is about people not giving a crap about natives...nobody every has, and I guess they still don't. To many people would rather destroy other peoples lives if it means they get to worship at the alter of the all mighty dollar.

"in god we trust"

34.9 million Brazilians live below the poverty line. 78% of Brazilians don't have proper sewage connections or septic tanks.

You can give a crap about natives and blame loggers all you want but the problem is going to continue to happen.

Why not for a change attack the root cause of the problem which is money and a corrupt system.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

This is about people not giving a crap about natives...nobody every has, and I guess they still don't. To many people would rather destroy other peoples lives if it means they get to worship at the alter of the all mighty dollar.

"in god we trust"

34.9 million Brazilians live below the poverty line. 78% of Brazilians don't have proper sewage connections or septic tanks.

You can give a crap about natives and blame loggers all you want but the problem is going to continue to happen.

Why not for a change attack the root cause of the problem which is money and a corrupt system.

The system is the root problem, but that does not make the loggers innocent if they know what they are doing to those people. It isn't one or the other, everyone must take responsibility for what they do.

And I do give a crap about people...believe that.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Phantom

The system is the root problem, but that does not make the loggers innocent if they know what they are doing to those people. It isn't one or the other, everyone must take responsibility for what they do.

And the system is governed by money. Look at any problem in this world today and it all leads back to money.

The loggers are morally wrong but not guilty of anything. We can arrest 1000000000 loggers, but then guess what: Another 100000000 will take their place.

Responsibility to survive comes first for anyone and everyone.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

And the system is governed by money. Look at any problem in this world today and it all leads back to money.

The loggers are morally wrong but not guilty of anything. We can arrest 1000000000 loggers, but then guess what: Another 100000000 will take their place.

I never said anything about law or arresting anyone. You are right about the problems of today's world leading back to money. But this is not a survival issue for the loggers, Brazil is not a poor nation, they don't have to do what they do. It's a choice.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I never said anything about law or arresting anyone. You are right about the problems of today's world leading back to money. But this is not a survival issue for the loggers, Brazil is not a poor nation, they don't have to do what they do. It's a choice.

I didn't mean it literally but just to express how even the strongest actions against them will not solve anything.

Many nations have a lot of money, this doesn't mean that the people have money also.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I didn't mean it literally but just to express how even the strongest actions against them will not solve anything.

Many nations have a lot of money, this doesn't mean that the people have money also.

The strongest action against them is what we are doing right now...talking about it.

It's true that wealthy nations have poor people living it it, but let's not pretend that Brazil doesn't have opportunity's that don't involve destroying other peoples lives. My dad grew up dirt poor, when he was young and first moved out becoming a janitor was a step up in the family. He worked hard so that I could be middle class. But I grew up poor and I would have never done harm to others just so that I could make a buck. They have no excuse if they know what they are doing. They can educate themselves and find something else if they really cared enough.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I am going to assume that you do not live in a 3rd world nation.

ETA:
I respect and share your care for the environment and the native peoples of the Amazon.
But these things will continue to happen around there world if we do not attack the root cause (money).

edit on 21-4-2012 by Gaddafi because: (no reason given)

I understand what you and Domo1 are saying, have just been really against what's been happening to the rainforests for a long time and still am, so the idea of being one of the people cutting trees down isn't something I can imagine very easily. I'm not trying to demonize the workers though and understand that their situation is also a hard one.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

You cannot blame the loggers, their bosses or their bosses’ bosses’.
Blame money and our corrupt economic system which destroys 3rd world nations like Brazil and forces its people to do immoral and destructive things in order to survive.

It doesn't force people, it manipulates them.

These people can survive without working, but they can't live in comfort.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I would probably be capable of some truly horrendous acts if it meant the difference between my family starving or eating. I agree with the other poster on that.

I'd rather commit truly horrendous acts against the elite and rich that cause these things to happen in the first place, instead of against innocent people who just want to live their lives.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Unfortunately, it's not the first time this has happened before. The really hard part, at least to me is; that we think because of the knowledge we have from past history really makes a difference. It seems to me it doesn't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join