It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STAR SPANGLED BANNER= the first Gangsta "Rap" song

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Originally posted by RedGoneWILD
reply to post by amongus

i actually disagree

play a beat, about 94bpm, and then rap it line for line...i could see nas rapping those lyrics with ease and flow

I'd love someone here on ats to make a rap out of this.....

Do it. Prove me wrong.

Actually it could be done. The wording would have to be changed to more modern phrases.
Would be interesting to "modernize" the SSB actually...the whole poem/song would probably go from standing proudly, to scorned due to its violent retoric.

In saying that, we were being attacked...there is no wrong in making up songs of pride on how you survived an attack and will turn the tides...helps in war when you are dealing with all sorts of wartime stuff.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

This thread needs more FLAGS! There are some highly intelligent rappers out there. The good rap is often compared to good blues, good old country, and even folk music. I think your thread is a great example of looking at the bigger picture. Nice post!

Now, I did detect a bit of sour tone here...

The American flag is nothing but a red white and blue doo rag! All of you overly patriotic people that are brainwashed into Americanism, are prideful to be part of a violent organized criminal gang called the USA.

Now I don't hate the USA, I like it, it is my homeland. I just can't stand blindly patriotic people that can't admit that this country has been hijacked and is terribly corrupt.

The country is not corrupt, the government is not even that corrupt. An overwhelming part of the population actually asks for all of this foreign aggression, all of these intrusive regulations like TSA, all of this nanny-state control like seatbelt laws, and bans on gay marriage. A lot of those people are raging liberals, and a lot of them claim to be conservatives! The population of the country has lost its identity and spirit, and the problem with any government is that they are always overly-reactive. They take the pulse of the nation, and then they over-react to it. They do too much based on the cries of too few people.

I think you and I agree on a lot of the problems with the country, but too many people forget they can be part of the solution.

Refuse to spend money at huge corporations. Buy local. If you can't meet the owner, don't shop there. Refuse to play into the system, find ways to get out of the rat race. The more of us that do this simple thing, the more control we will have. We don't get to criticize and call it corrupt, while we are also feeding and fueling it with our own habits.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The challenge: Turn the star spangled banner into a rap song (or something liking it).
Caveats: Must remain contextually the same (however, words can be altered into modern dialect..just no changing meaning)

here is my (horrible) attempt that will be more like angry poetry than a rap song..I lack the ability to create catchy tunes.

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Check it.
Our colors in the sky, you rained down your bombs
You shot the air
Our flag still up, you shot at our arse
Trying to make us dispair
But we still here, now whats up with that?
now your gonna be harmed.
My boys are getting up, mornings come,
And we fully armed.

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream: '
Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Morning came, our colors fly
You aint done snip.
Now we comin, boy, better hide your arse
Gonna see this gangsta flip.
Gonna see my color, gonna smack it down
right in your face.
There ain't no runnin now, No way, no how
put you in place.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Rollin up on you, my boys armed tight
Now we goin to war.
Killin you, and your friend, let your blood paint your end.
Gonna settle this score
Run away bi.ch, run away now,
gonna light you up
My gun blazin, my colors wavin,
You know whats up.

O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave![12]

Now you know, where I stand I keep,
Man, you gonna find a trip
You aint tellin me snip, you dont come round here
less you want to rip.

(freestyle time)
Better be packin hard
Better be strikin quick
Better be runnin fast
Cause we dont take snip.

God be watchin us
Man you gonna hurt
My gak in your face
You be sniffin dirt

God be in our crew
what chu supposed to do?
Run you ass away
Else he get you too.

See our colors now
See your dead crew.
Dont forget our turf
Else we will come for you

Star Spangled Dew Rag
by SaturnFX

(trademark!)

Made in 5 minutes, and probably better than a vanilla ice song anyhow

Point is, yes..it can be reinvented into gangsta rap...perhaps not properly by me, but the subject matter is very provocative...olde english removed, it is just a song on pride and vengence...which is what most gangsta rap songs are.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Point is, yes..it can be reinvented into gangsta rap...perhaps not properly by me, but the subject matter is very provocative...olde english removed, it is just a song on pride and vengence...which is what most gangsta rap songs are.

lol, nice re-write

But, yes! your last point was spot on. Killing the Brits who ran up on Americans turf flying the wrong "colors"

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yeah, that portion of the OP was a tad bit sensationalist

We can definitely change the country but it's just so hard with so many different people not on the same page. Even people on ATS are still arguing over which would be the better outcome from an Obama or Romney, even though they are sponsored by the same people. They're just puppets, mascots for the country.

There needs to be some sort of mass awakening/educational movement that cannot be hijacked and preferably doesn't swing left or right. Just one that focuses on the crimes/banking system/war complex. The left/right in-fighting is the main thing taking us away from any non-violent revolution.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

There needs to be some sort of mass awakening/educational movement that cannot be hijacked and preferably doesn't swing left or right. Just one that focuses on the crimes/banking system/war complex. The left/right in-fighting is the main thing taking us away from any non-violent revolution.

Good Luck with that. I actually believe that the TV,and Internet is almost designed to continue the paradigm. Yes,you can get info from it,glean from it,but it blasts you with the subliminal. Unless a man like Gandhi comes along,the Revolution,if there is one,will be violent.

S&F

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

reply to post by boncho

Think about this more abstractly please, it's about concept, not specifics
edit on 19-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Well it's a crappy concept then. Because the song isn't about war with Indians it's about the war of 1812. If you don't like it, you can always move to a country that you feel wasn't created off destroying the resident ethnic groups (Bands, Tribes, Clans), but you will be hard pressed to find that as nearly every country in the world has a violent history...
]

I think the point KRS One was trying to make, and I may be wrong, is that rappers aren't necessarily justifying violence either.

He's being coy, purposely, is what I got from the video. What he's saying is in what way does the poet of the Star Spangled Banner, detailing violence and experience, differ from rappers who detail their own experiences.

I don't think it was so much as an attack upon the Star Spangled Banner and the writer of it, more so a defence of rap music and story telling.

The host demonstrates perfectly his point. When a rapper documents their life or upbringing they're degrading women, promoting violence. Yet the Star Spangled Banner, which glorifies and documents far worse, is some how different? How can anyone not accept what he's saying is true? It's a double standard ingrained so deep that you can't even see it

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
So is this something KRS-One figured out while smoking some weed?

Because I could see how the concept and the reality could be stirred up with some potent stuff.

I would also say gangs are probably closer to the gangs of the wild west, than that of a whole country acting in defense.

I like the idea of gangsters acting "country". That was a funny comment.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

You showed them the truth and they got scared. The cowards attacked in blind faith.

Great thread!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

S&F

AHHHHHHH the golden years.

Thanks man.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

If there were only KRS-one types and less Gucci Manes on the radio

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

More Public Enemy, Rakim, EPMD and Main Source.

Damn IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
Gangsta's will be the last line of defense against the NWO - lets see what happens when NWO tries to get Marshall Law in South Central, Harlem or Detroit...it will be a blood bath. I know the black brother's aren't going to roll over like whites in suburbia - yah take me to the FEMA Camp before i cap your ass...last line of defense. imo

sorry but they will not call it "fema camps" they will call it assisted living gated communities lol and i bet there will be a line for it. The government will say they built all these new apartment complexes and will tell everyone who comes in for a EBT card that they qualify for it. The black "brother's" wont even roll over they will wait 8 hours in line to get one of these dope new section 8 places with totally free rent and food lol you act like the TPTB are going to blatantly come out and say yeah we are waging war on you, no no no they will market it so it sounds too good to be true "reparations" . It will be the old veterans white/black ect who put up a fight not some moron gang banger
and before you think this is racist which it isn't, its just about who they will get rid of first the people being a drain on the economy white,black,brown,yellow doesn't matter anyone asking for a handout will get it cut off. Then they will force labor on the people in these places as soon as they fill up "Job security" lol
edit on 21-4-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
the actions of our government and the actions of a gang are pretty close in comparison so i can see the connection. but the STAR SPANGLED BANNER= the first Gangsta "Rap" song, is retarded.KRS1 shouldn't just voice every thought that comes into his head as intelligent or deep or even correct. The star Spangled banner is closer to a Metallica song then a nas or tupac here's seek and destroy
actually this song should be our new anthem as its basically our foreign policy

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

Why would black people stand in a line to go to prison?

Why would they target black people when white females are the largest recipients of welfare?
Why would they target anyone on welfare as they want the people poor and to be dependent on the government?

Any veteran I knew was somewhat crazy and unpredictable. That is the last people I'm going to count on, they would be the ones rounding people up, not civilians.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

No offense, but I'm pretty sure KRS one is more intelligent than you. He can write paragraphs without run on sentences and proper grammar. Your posts are just really hard to read. But anyways, you're ruining my thread with awful music and ridiculous ideas.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

KRS1 shouldn't just voice every thought that comes into his head as intelligent or deep or even correct.

You're a real American.

You sound like a Pinko Commie.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
i have a theory that the term Rapper

is not about being a street thug or being guided by one's limbic region

Rapper... i choose to think is based on the last century Dialogue Director... Mr. Irving Rapper

what could be more appropos... a quick thinking spontaneous dialogue being uttered by a vocal adept,
Irving Rapper is the Father of the Rap phenom

www.urbandictionary.com...

----forward to page 53 & see what the dictionary supposes the #1 definition of 'rapper' is...
they do not address where the term 'rapper' originated... give me credit for suggesting Irving Rapper a 1920's
Director and Dialogue Coach/Instructor

i really think the 20 minute epic 'poem' called 'the reticulated monkey' was the basis of what has become Rap... i was flabbergasted that many African-Americans in the 50's-60's all knew this +20 minute monologue, why not do a thread on that...? is it a cultural thing..or what?
edit on 21-4-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Why would black people stand in a line to go to prison?

Why would they target black people when white females are the largest recipients of welfare?
Why would they target anyone on welfare as they want the people poor and to be dependent on the government?

Any veteran I knew was somewhat crazy and unpredictable. That is the last people I'm going to count on, they would be the ones rounding people up, not civilians.

Why wouldn't you read what i wrote lol? I didn't say it was for only black people, anyone on welfare basically as they are a drain on the economy.

Why would they target black people when white females are the largest recipients of welfare? they will target anyone who needs help doesn't matter what race.

Why would they target anyone on welfare as they want the people poor and to be dependent on the government? prisons make a lot of money don't you think what if it wasn't "technically" a prison but a place where you had a job, a place and free rent and food but didn't get paid where your children would be taken care of during the time you worked. They would market it as assisted living and with the jobless rate and the future of this country it will seem like a good deal.food,shelter,day care,job security, Why did they build playgrounds in the fema camps? put two and two together.They are not going to market it as a prison but it will basically be that. Everyone in these places will have tvs and computers phones ect but everything they need will be given by the camps. Think about it. I would take care of the job issue living issues,housing issues all in one nice gated community.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

No offense, but I'm pretty sure KRS one is more intelligent than you. He can write paragraphs without run on sentences and proper grammar. Your posts are just really hard to read. But anyways, you're ruining my thread with Why would they target anyone on welfare as they want the people poor and to be dependent on the government?
and ridiculous ideas.

"Realspoke" how can you talk about grammar with name like that? My posts are not hard to read if you have a brain. Obviously he have an issue with what I said personally I couldn't care less

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join