It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STAR SPANGLED BANNER= the first Gangsta "Rap" song

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

The Star Spangled Banner was the FIRST gangsta "rap" song

The lyrics are filled with nothing but violence and pride that we can kill our enemies. How our colors, "flag" are better. How we can successfully blow up and kill anyone.

en.wikipedia.org...

"The Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem of the United States of America. The lyrics come from "Defence of Fort McHenry",[1] a poem written in 1814 by the 35-year-old lawyer and amateur poet, Francis Scott Key, after witnessing the bombardment of Fort McHenry by the British Royal Navy ships in Chesapeake Bay during the Battle of Fort McHenry in the War of 1812.

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream: '
Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave![12]

The American flag is nothing but a red white and blue doo rag! All of you overly patriotic people that are brainwashed into Americanism, are prideful to be part of a violent organized criminal gang called the USA.

Now I don't hate the USA, I like it, it is my homeland. I just can't stand blindly patriotic people that can't admit that this country has been hijacked and is terribly corrupt.

edit on 19-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

The American flag is nothing but a red white and blue doo rag! All of you overly patriotic people that are brainwashed into Americanism, are prideful to be part of a violent organized criminal gang called the USA.

Arent ALL countries like gangs? They defend their "turf" and have their own "colors" like their flags?
Well, at least I am in the biggest and baddest gang of all then

"Aint nuttin but a g-thing baby"
edit on 19-4-2012 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Too bad it was inspired by the defense of the nation and not the offense of a nation:

An American lawyer and amateur poet, Francis Scott Key, was on a mercy mission for the release of Dr. William Beanes, a prisoner of the British. Key showed the British letters from wounded British officers praising the care they received from Dr. Beanes.

The British agreed to release Beanes, but Key and Beanes were forced to stay with the British until the attack on Baltimore was over. Key watched the proceedings from a truce ship in the Patapsco River. On the morning of the 14th, Key saw the American flag waving above Fort McHenry. Inspired, he began jotting down verses on the back of a letter he was carrying.

He composed the words to the tune of an old British drinking song, "To Anacreon in Heaven". When Key reached Baltimore, his poem was printed on pamphlets by the Baltimore American. His poem was originally called "Defense of Ft. McHenry". The song eventually became known as "The Star-Spangled Banner". Congress made it the national anthem in 1931.

Link

Had the British won the war, there certainly wouldn't be any controversy because there would be no anthem to exist.

edit on 19-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Think about this more abstractly please, it's about concept, not specifics

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by boncho

Well it's a crappy concept then. Because the song isn't about war with Indians it's about the war of 1812. If you don't like it, you can always move to a country that you feel wasn't created off destroying the resident ethnic groups (Bands, Tribes, Clans), but you will be hard pressed to find that as nearly every country in the world has a violent history...

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Star and Flag for adding "colors"

Havent heard that one in many moons, love that song, and the movie!!!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

reply to post by boncho

I just don't see a country as "gangster" because a country and people that run it are two separate things with two separate meanings. If you wanted to argue that George Bush, Cheney and Rumsfield were gangsters... I wouldn't argue it at all. Because they acted together for specific interest and forced an entire country to agree/abide by them.

Saying a country is "gangster" just doesn't make sense.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Where did I say it was about Indians? The OP states that it was written from the war of 1812. Again, you're missing the point of the post by focusing on details.

link   
Brilliant!

KRS one's point is that actions and words we condemn in one culture or subculture is the same one we glorify in another.

And he's right.

link   
Actually OP could not be more wrong. That was a time when we were legitimately defending ourselves against tyranny and had every right use violence to do so. It is ridiculous to try and lump that into the mindless violence gangster rap represents

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Actually OP could not be more wrong. That was a time when we were legitimately defending ourselves against tyranny and had every right use violence to do so. It is ridiculous to try and lump that into the mindless violence gangster rap represents

Is it?

Someone in a gang joins the gang for protection. They fight for their neighborhood against outside aggressors.

No different than national borders.

You see the actions of others as 'mindless' much like the Brits saw colonialists actions as 'mindless'.

I suspect your dislike for the genre is preventing you from seeing the obvious correlation.

Besides, KRS-Ones point, in context, was a show taking about violent imagery in rap lyrics and blaming it for todays violence.

All he did was point out that glorifying violent imagery is nothing new in America, and did not start with rap.
edit on 19-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Saying a country is "gangster" just doesn't make sense.

Correct. We should be saying the "gangsters" are trying to be like their own "little countries" perhaps? So gangsters are "country".

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Gangs are there for offensive and defensive purposes.

How is the USA current foreign policy not mindless violence?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Star Gangland Banner is the Uptown Anthem of Amerikkka

The lyrics are bloody, violent, and would have made an excellent cover song for Ice Cube circa 1990

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
drive bys = drone strikes

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

As soon as I saw your NWA quote, I knew I'd like you. Didn't even need your photo...instant recognition.

That being said, the star spangled banner is not a "rap", but a poem. It does not flow like a rap......I respect KRS One, but he's wrong.

edit on 19-4-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You can live in gang territory and not be "in" the gang. However, if you live in "Blood" territory and you are wearing nothing but red, you are going to be seen as a blood.

If you fly the American flag then you chose to associate yourself with the gang of Bush,Cheney,Obama etc. You cannot pick and chose what aspect of the gang you like or dislike, it's all or nothing. I can't ignore that the USA tortures people, so I'm never going to fly the flag on my house until it changes.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGoneWILD
drive bys = drone strikes

hahaha good comparison

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

i actually disagree

play a beat, about 94bpm, and then rap it line for line...i could see nas rapping those lyrics with ease and flow

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

reply to post by boncho

You can live in gang territory and not be "in" the gang. However, if you live in "Blood" territory and you are wearing nothing but red, you are going to be seen as a blood.

If you fly the American flag then you chose to associate yourself with the gang of Bush,Cheney,Obama etc. You cannot pick and chose what aspect of the gang you like or dislike, it's all or nothing. I can't ignore that the USA tortures people, so I'm never going to fly the flag on my house until it changes.

Until we stop torturing people? Do your research bro. Torture during war isn't a recent development.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join