It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindergartner handcuffed, taken to police station after allegedly throwing tantrum

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by ArchPlayer
Whoop her ass and wear the belt around your neck. As my mom and dad would have done, do it in front of the classroom. Embarrass her in her "element" and then tell the teacher YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DISCIPLINE HER to re-inforce that we don't play that up in here.

Only problem is, how long do you think you'd be able to do that for, before you had Child Protective Services showing up at your front door, potentially with SWAT cops in tow?

Your kid would be taken away the very same day.

Though using anything more then a manual spanking on the butt without tools for discipline imo DOES constitute child abuse, since using a tool (belt, rod, whatever) is meant to horrify and cause more physical stress.

So, the handcuffs were child abuse, it's physical violence against a 6yo. The cop should be sacked or at least suspended without pay for some time.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Was this girl on steroids or something?

It simply seems strange to have to call cops on a 6 year old because multiple adults could not handle her. I guess you would have to be there to believe it.

Why?

Why does this seem strange to everyone?

The safest thing for anyone to do in that situation is to call the police. You are completely protected from liability if something happens to the child, and the child can get the help it needs.

Yeah she got the help she needed...

She got handcuffed and tossed in a holding cell.. how is that any help? Probably severely traumatized this girl.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cdaddy1034
reply to post by getreadyalready

To instill in them a healthy sense of respect for authority.

It can be argued, that they shouldn't have called the police. But I don't know any 6yo that would continue to act like a fool with the police present. My parents gave me a healthy respect for authority when I was a child.

She may be young, but it's never to early to start teaching a child to respect authority.

"Authority" is only to be respected when they use their authority in a civilised and just manner. Which clearly wasnt the case here.

I feel they just took the easy way out from the get go.

When i was at school teachers tried their best to know the kids they taught, get a personal relationship with them. NEVER and i repeat NEVER have i seen ANY police on ANY of my schools. (With the exeption of college after a huge fight on school grounds)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
School isn't fun anymore, classrooms with brick walls and no windows with the heat cranked on. Sitting in there drilling on kids brains for hours and hours. When you have a system failing it effects everything. Kids see these problems too they see and feel the changes at home when the parents lose their jobs and are stressed out themselves. What do you expect when you have a world in turmoil crashing in all around you?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I didn't read the story or any of the selected quotes from the story. When I read the headline, I clicked it and in the process said to myself "I bet the child is black." Of course, I was right. Just another method of the system of white supremacy.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
What was the teacher to do you cant lay a hand on kids in school NOT saying they should so if you can touch them to stop the kid what els is there to do?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
throwing bookshelfs and furniture... I believe it was parent (grown up) abuse. Where did this strength come from, and was the child sexualy abused. that tis the question

Adrenaline from the child? Or maybe exaggeration from the school officials... I choose the latter. She probably toss her pencils to the ground and crossed her arms, and walked to a corner and the teachers felt threatened. It always gets blown out of proportion, I know, I have been removed from classes for the most RIDICULOUS things.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

I have a 7 and a 6 year old daughter myself, and whilst I would hate to see them in handcuffs, the truth is, they wouldn't need them. My daughters know far better than to behave in this manner, especially so in a public environment.

I think first and foremost the parents of this child should question their own parenting skills, that either directly or indirectly caused their child to behave this way, before questioning the way the child had to be dealt with as a result of said behaviour. Prevention over cure and all that

If this child was throwing furniture etc. and injuring people in the process, what more could the school of done? Would you have preferred they restrained her 'manually' ie.pin her down indefinitely or until they finally managed to get hold of her parents? or was calling the police the right thing to do given the situation and the fact people were being injured in this outburst?
Please consider they have their own safety in mind, but even more so, that of the other children.

Some people don't appreciate the damage a small child could do, to even an adult, let alone one of her classmates. Trust me when I say I have took a few unfortunate/accidental blows from my daughters during play-fights that I definitely wouldn't want to relive, and I am a 160lbs adult male.

Peace

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Good grief. Are some school personnel so incompetent that they can't deal with a six year old having a temper tantrum? I could understand maybe being a little unnerved by the scale of the tantrum, but do they honestly expect us to believe they had no other choice than to call the cops on this kid?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebabyseagull
A six year old girl in handcuff's,a little child,a little girl,this is disgusting and some people on here seem to think it could be justified, what's happened to your country America.

I agree it's a disgusting thing and it's a horrible state of affairs our nation is reaching when this is happening.

We simply would disagree on WHAT is disgusting. I'm not outraged by what the cop did once he arrived... I'm disgusted by the fact that almost ANY other course of action would have led to an almost certain lawsuit against the faculty, the district or likely both. When I was in school..and it wasn't THAT long ago..an out of control brat like this would have prompted a call over to the P.E. Teacher or whatever Coach happened to be around and available to restraint the little monster and keep it that way until it's owners could come claim it and take it home.

Now..such a thing ..well.. they'd go after the one who called the coach and the coach him/herself would never have an education related job again in all likelihood.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Well they are not allowed to touch the kids reply to post by EPH612

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Like how the police tried to sound all professional with their bland quote about 'detainees.' A KINDERGARTNER IS NOT A 'DETAINEE'!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I wonder if the police would have done the same thing if the little had been white.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
We don't know all the facts here but still handcuffing someone that age is extreme. Even at that age wouldn't seeing the police be a big sign that would change your behaviour.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by knightrider078

They don't have to lay hands on the kid. From personal experience I've seen teachers deal with some pretty severe temper tantrums without touching them. And even if the teacher didn't know how to handle it (which I have trouble believing), they should've gone to get someone who did. I sincerely doubt that any competent elementary teacher was unable to deal with it or unable to find someone who could and had no choice than to call the cops.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thebabyseagull

Why do people like you always have to reduce everything around them down to race. Makes one wonder who the real racist is then. Why must you do that? It only adds fuel to an issue that had nothing to do with race.

edit on 4/23/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

I just thought it was relevant to the conversation and no one seems to have mentioned it in this thread, i know how annoying it can be when black people go on about how they are hard done by white folks,but you should not assume that because someone or asks an uncomfortable question dose not mean they are racist.By the way am white,not that it should make a difference.
edit on 24-4-2012 by thebabyseagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Sorry this is a bit long, but I was a bit upset with the maturity level of some of these comments.
First off, how are none of you seeing this as wrong. A six year old girl was locked in a prison cell. How many of you would have liked to go to prison at 6? She was probably terrified and confused, which is most likely the reason as to why she was lashing out, don't you think?
Getting put into a prison cell is completely different then being locked in your room. One is a metal cage where you have a hard cot to lie on and absolutely no privacy. The other is the comfort and security of being in your own home, with the things you see everyday and knowing that you can open the door and go see your mommy and daddy if you want to.
Second, every school has a police officer on campus grounds, though most schools call them school resource officers and they don't always dress in their police outfit. The school shouldn't have to call the police at all, the school resource officer should have been able to handle it, thats their job, so why wasn't theirs there at the time all this was happening?
Most of you basically keep saying that she knew what she was doing, seriously, what 6 year old do you know that throws a temper tantrum and understands why they're doing what they are? Have you all gone insane? Children get upset, sometimes they throw things, ITS NORMAL!! I can almost guarutee that if you asked her she would say she didn't mean to hurt anyone she was just mad and shes sorry, children do it everyday, do we need to start arresting every child that throws a toy?
I believe both the school and the parents are at fault, the school should have done more to calm the child down. While continuing to call the mother, it doesn't matter how many phone calls it takes, they should never have called the police without first informing the mother, it absolutely not ok for them to have done that. And how come they only called the mother? What happened to dad, grandma, aunt, family friend? Schools have a list of people to call, thats why they send out those papers for parents to fill out, they have emergency contacts so that if they can't get a hold of the parents they have someone else to call. Those of you trying to blame the parents with this "they obviously haven't done anything to control the child" stuff is really disappointing in the amount of intelligence I'm getting from you. How is the parent supposed to know that "on this day, at this time, in this classroom my child is going to get upset and start throwing things?" It is not totally the fault of the parents! It is also the fault of the school. And none of you have taken into thought that, yes the school did call the mom said number of times, but no you did stop and think they maybe, just maybe, she was at work like the rest of the world and she couldn't to her phone at the moment? You are all adults, most of you probably way older than me; why is my common sense better than yours and how are only seeing that this 6 year old girl is a bad guy? Please, before you comment on another story THINK about the situation!!!
Again, sorry, I didn't mean to make it a long post

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sting130u

I agree. The tabloids always blow things way out of proportion. And maybe the school felt the need to get some attention from the media? It probably didn't hurt their financial situation to have a bit of fame.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Sounds like a child with psychological issues, perhaps. Or poor parenting.
Maybe this incident is enough to scare the child so she never gets in trouble again. Maybe the parents will step up parenting and help her be a more well behaved person

top topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join