It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autism: Evolution?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

Autism is more diagnosed because the criteria to diagnose it has increased. I think there's something to the neuro-diversity view, but not everyone with autism is some hyperspecialized rain-man. There are ends of the spectrum that are in no way beneficial. Any type of diversity can be selected for or against by evolution, so yea I'm sure it will play a role, but I don't think autism is some direction we're moving toward as a species.

In my original post I should have specified better or worse. I was trying to be neutral but I have a personal bias. Shouldn't have let that come through as I wanted it to be a really open discussion sparking more thinking on many levels. Thank you for pointing that out.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

At what point do we step in and say...we have changed our evolutionary track for the worst and now we have to fix it?

good question but....

Evolution is a painfully slow process, sure, we are obviously messing with some variables, but it would take thousands or millions of years for an evolutionary change related to what we have done to take place.

your theory on autism is quite interesting, you've obviously spent some time compiling all of this data. Correlation does not mean causation, but it should be looked into.

You mention specifically the rise of social media, tv, etc. How, by what mechanism, would this be affecting a young child who doesn't even have the cognitive abilities to even understand or use social media?

People are quick to jump on tv as being bad, and in this case, it might just be that, very bad. Autism is a social disorder, the people with it don't have the same social concepts we have, some of them never really experience our reality, they live in their own.

Sitting a child down, from a young age, and using the tv as a baby sitter can't possibly promote social interaction, TV is a spectator sport. In fact, certain types of programs actually change your brain waves.

Very interesting thread, well done.

Thank you Phish, for taking the time to read first of all and a very well thought out response. I'm certain these media outlets don't "Help".
Some feel as though our evolution is actually speeding up, the only example I can think of right off the cuff is a four hour David Wilcox (I know I know) documentary showing that we go through incredible evolutionary changes at intervals and we are coming up on one now. Do we buy this? Depends on who you are.
That being said, I compared this evolutionary fast track to how our technology has suddenly advanced by leaps and bounds. How could that be explained other than evolution? I am not challenging this, just really asking an honest question.
We can also delve into the realm of those who believe 2012 to be a time of awakening, where the Earth As We Know IT will end. Those people mind find some resonance in the original post in that communication may not be something we will need on a physical level after that (simply mental).
Is it good or bad?
If we determine it good, fantastic. If we determine it bad, awareness needs to be brought to our effect on the environment, and that effect on us.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Thought you might find this study relevant:

Peer Reviewed Study Links Autism To Industrial Food And Environment

A new study by Clinical Epigenetics, a peer-reviewed journal that focuses largely on diseases, has found that the rise in autism in the United States could be linked to the industrial food system, specifically the prevalence of high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in the American diet. The study, published yesterday online, explores how mineral deficiencies could impact how the human body rids itself of common toxic chemicals like mercury and pesticides. The report comes just after a different report, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, documenteda startling rise in autism in the United States.

Another piece of the puzzle? Talks directly to your point of manipulating the environment.

This study is part of what spawned my thought process into writing this thread. It went something like...what changed in the Environment when all this started...when did it start...during the rise of media outlets..and so on.

We can go even further and try to find the actual environmental norms that changed, I think Wrabbit is up for researching this with me in the future, but I will actually spend some time to research this own my own and perhaps come up with some answers to your question if I am lucky.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimontheMagus
I have a 19-year old son with autism. I too have wracked my brain looking for answers. The key thing for me is the savant abilities of some. My son's social skills are severely hampered, but he taught himself to read music and play the piano. He masters video games incredibly fast. This indicates to me the hidden potential of the human brain which would also signal that it may very well be part of the evolutionary process, related to the alleged upcoming "quantum" shift in consciousness related to the ancient astrological prophecies. I believe it is mostly DNA related, but there are so many varying degrees of autism and Asperger's that I think it would be foolish to rule out causes such as those suggested in the OP.

By the way, thanks.

I first came across this idea of autism being related to evolution in a Kryon channeling.... here's a discussion of it:

www.paganspace.net...
edit on 17-4-2012 by SimontheMagus because: (no reason given)

Thank you! I was hoping someone would take this direction of thinking.
As anyone who has researched a bit of autism knows, some refer to these children as "Star Children" or "Indigo Children". I don't know how much I put into that, if anything at all. But if you look at it as someone who believes in a huge evolutionary and conciousness shift, it could be considered a good thing. It all depends on how you look at it. Gene mutation? Sure. Why not? Let's explore.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Treat them with love and see that most of this autism is a sick joke. A really, really sick joke. Spend time with your kids people, that's the #1 reason they become disconnected. You are not spending enough time with them. Autism is a run-to word for parents who couldn't care less about spending more time with their kids. Just stuff 'em with pills, that'll soothe your mind!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

I know your intent is good, but for shame.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

It's a damned shame how some parents handle their kids. Be a loving person and observe how most "autism" melts away.

In my very ignorant opinion, autism is a reaction to the world getting colder and less personal and perhaps it has something to do with the brain handling certain types of trauma. Computers and television sets are raising children instead of their parents raising them. That's very healthy.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel

Treat them with love and see that most of this autism is a sick joke. A really, really sick joke. Spend time with your kids people, that's the #1 reason they become disconnected. You are not spending enough time with them. Autism is a run-to word for parents who couldn't care less about spending more time with their kids. Just stuff 'em with pills, that'll soothe your mind!

Pills are rarely used for treatment in autism except in particularly violent and awful cases. Most parents here in the US favor Biophysical approaches, actually.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

reply to post by unityemissions

It's a damned shame how some parents handle their kids. Be a loving person and observe how most "autism" melts away.

In my very ignorant opinion, autism is a reaction to the world getting colder and less personal and perhaps it has something to do with the brain handling certain types of trauma. Computers and television sets are raising children instead of their parents raising them. That's very healthy.

In a way, this agrees with some of what I am saying. To blame parents is a can of worms you do not want to open, trust me. Let's try to take finger pointing the parents out of this just for the sake of keeping an intellectual and calm dialect going. Let us focus more on evolutionary influence. If you would like to start a thread citing examples of how it is the parents and their parenting at blame, I'd like to see how that plays out

Another thing to look into is the research done by Bettelheim on "refrigerator mothers" and the debunking of such an idea.

Refrigerator Mothers

Let's not go there in this thread, please.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I'd concur with the "ignorant" self assessment. While I will agree that the world is becoming colder and less personal, autism knows no boundaries, affects all social/economic groups, and has little or no relation to parenting skills.

I think that autism is becoming more prevalent due to increasing environmental pollutants and the unhealthy diets many have adopted over the past few decades. I don't believe that it's a product of evolution, but rather a manifestation of the systemic poisoning we are all undergoing.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Vixen~

I'd concur with the "ignorant" self assessment. While I will agree that the world is becoming colder and less personal, autism knows no boundaries, affects all social/economic groups, and has little or no relation to parenting skills.

I think that autism is becoming more prevalent due to increasing environmental pollutants and the unhealthy diets many have adopted over the past few decades. I don't believe that it's a product of evolution, but rather a manifestation of the systemic poisoning we are all undergoing.

With all that in mind, how do the environmental pollutants actually effect evolution?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Interesting post. I would argue that if we are evolving then perhaps autism is a defense mechanism instead of a boost to our use of electronics. There are more people then ever before and more ways to communicate before sometimes to the point that it can feel like information overload which might be one of the reasons children are having more difficultly learning in school. Lots of distractions. Now autistic children are not dumb. They are perhaps socially awkward and quiet but not dumb. That being said I feel as though autism could be a defense against distraction that humanity could be evolving to combat our technological prowess so that we may be able to better focus and learn even if it's more inwardly then outwardly. The fact that an autistic child doesn't talk as much makes them a better listener, which is certainly one way to learn some thing. It seems like autism is the anti ADHD in some ways. Or perhaps ADHD is evolution trying to multitask....anywho....lost my train of thought....ima go eat
and no that wasn't a joke...even though I have ADHD.....I'm just hungry. lol
edit on 17-4-2012 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrimReaper86

Interesting post. I would argue that if we are evolving then perhaps autism is a defense mechanism instead of a boost to our use of electronics. There are more people then ever before and more ways to communicate before sometimes to the point that it can feel like information overload which might be one of the reasons children are having more difficultly learning in school. Lots of distractions. Now autistic children are not dumb. They are perhaps socially awkward and quiet but not dumb. That being said I feel as though autism could be a defense against distraction that humanity could be evolving to combat our technological prowess so that we may be able to better focus and learn even if it's more inwardly then outwardly. The fact that an autistic child doesn't talk as much makes them a better listener, which is certainly one way to learn some thing. It seems like autism is the anti ADHD in some ways. Or perhaps ADHD is evolution trying to multitask....anywho....lost my train of thought....ima go eat
and no that wasn't a joke...even though I have ADHD.....I'm just hungry. lol
edit on 17-4-2012 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

This gives me lots of ideas...outside of the box...so bare with me

1) Maybe it IS a defense mechanism? Maybe it's a defense that mother nature knows we require now so that we don't get brainwashed and overloaded with information?

2) Is Autism a more evolved form of ADHD? Could ADHD have been the initial evolutionary reaction to media, then corrected itself with Autism as more appropriate? Or vice versa? How does this tie in with the speed of the daily life and it's increase from the 30's until now? I don't know what came first, the ADHD or the Autism, that's more research I'll put on my list. A lot of times they go hand in hand. But it give me something more to think about and see if there are any correlations there.

3) Maybe evolution is experimenting on what the correct course of action should be?

edit on 17-4-2012 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I don't see a correlation between ADHD and Autism at least not for the same end; although I think it could be caused by the same thing. It's just mother nature trying to deal with the problem in different ways. I mean think about it. Autistic children our quiet, introverted, smart (at least at a few things brilliant), and good with electronics in general. Autism in my mind would be evolution adapting to information overload and distraction but eliminating the ability to be distracted by people and media. This stimulates learning differently from social learning because a lot of people learn from others and while an autistic might learn by watching others an autistic won't learn as well by talking to someone as the average person because they don't have as many social skills however that doesn't stop an autisitc from learning or being intelligent. They just learn introvert-ly. I see ADHD as dealing with the distraction in a different way. I have ADHD and I don't take anything to treat it. I can learn anything I focus on quickly but I can't focus on one particular thing very easily most of the time. That doesn't make me dumb but it can take a little longer for me to understand something. I often do more then one thing at once in part because of my ADHD but also because my life is just busy and chaotic. ADHD makes it hard to focus on one thing because thats not the world we live in anymore. People whether they want to or not are being bombarded by more and more information every day. So ADHD may be natures way of forcing your brain to learn to multitask from a very young age because it is necessary to both learn and mature in and from an environment that is loaded with information that has to be dealt with constantly often times at the same time.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I definitely believe there is a link between electronics and autism disorders. I have a close family member that is a therapist and works with pre-schoolers on a daily basis who are autistic. I also have young kids myself that have been diagnosed with sensory issues and developmental delays, I am so thankful that it isn't any worse than that as autism and other similar disorders are becoming way too prevalent.

There have been studies done on electromagnetic fields and how they may contribute to autism, which would explain why autism has increased along with our electronic usage.

Here are some sites with more information, the second one has a video from a man who has an extensive technical background who claims EMF exposure harms the limbic system (which controls sensory responses):

Autism and EMF

Electromagnetic Field Exposure...Autism

I personally believe that there are many contributing factors in today's society of increased toxic foods, lack of nutrition, vaccines and electronics. It really makes it hard to escape any of these things and figure out a way to cure this growing problem.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin

With all that in mind, how do the environmental pollutants actually effect evolution?

Until we can identify those pollutants and remove them from our environment, the problem will continue to intensify. I believe that what we're experiencing is more of a temporary "mutation" and not permanent change on an evolutionary scale.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

One part of the puzzle you may have overlooked is the popularity of the VCR in the 90's when the greatest increase came about. Parents would use the TV as a "babysitter" to keep their children mesmerized watching taped shows like Barney while they got chores done around the house. By the 90's, everyone had one in their house and who hasn't heard stories of kids raised by the television?

You know I've considered that myself and discarded it for the most part. Same with the other influences kids have later in their childhood. In my son's case, he was misdiagnosed with a few things before they finally arrived on the problem. My opinion of doctors is a whole different thread..... The thing is though, in looking back with hindsight, I can't say he was ever really normal or how I see other children at 1 and 2. He had his problems from Birth or very very shortly there after. I think it came after and in very short order....but heck, Mom could have eaten or been exposed to whatever it is too.

I think the Computer games and TV Babysitters are dumbing our kids down to the point of mental mush and village people...but not giving them clinical mental development issues or diagnosed illness like this.... Something else.. Ingested? Exposed to? So hard to say. It's just impossible to argue the fact "it" exists...

edit on 17-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
i think that's an interesting idea you have valentine I have a theory too about Autism and its linked to yours www.abovetopsecret.com... I can't imagine the frequencies and radiation that the old TV's put out from the 30's. The problem with people today is they don't understand how these frequencies work basically you in a large magnetic field that transmits information at an alarming rate think of all the cell phone towers,wifi in houses,radio signals being beamed, satellite beaming down channels or GPS information.
edit on 17-4-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
My opinion of doctors is a whole different thread.....

I'm looking forward to that thread.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaBetaGammaX
I don't see how such a trait is being selected for through natural or sexual selection. I'm not fully caffeinated, but are you saying that the allele(s) that cause autism confer some advantage through autism itself and are being selected for, or are tied to an allele that confers an advantage and are hitchhiking their way into our population?

I guess I don't see how autism is giving anyone a better chance at passing their genes on. I've assumed that people with autism are reproducing at a much slower rate than people without it.

I am figuring out more and more what I am trying to say as this thread goes on

So, is Autism an advantage or not? Well that depends on how you look at it. If you think society is heading in the direction of non-verbal and non-face-to-face communication then yes, Autism would just be a natural adaptation to such change.

If you think what we have done to the Earth, which we evolve from, is changing the course of evolution in a negative way, then Autism is not an advantage at all and in fact is something that needs to be addressed and remedied quickly.

As far as Autism giving anyone a better chance at passing genes on, you are absolutely right, it doesn't. But would evolution change in regards to over-population on the Earth?

I guess it comes down to, if it is Evolution, is it natural or influenced now by humans. If natural, is it our place as a species to decide if it is good or bad and try to change it? If it is influenced by humans now, is it good because of technological advances or should it be stopped before we become a non-verbal species?
Hope that makes sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join