It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autism: Evolution?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kail918

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
reply to post by Kail918

What a callous hateful remark. Every human being is special in his or her own way.

like i was saying, if everyone is special then that means no one is special. you are just making my point.

You ever hear the phrase,"when God made you he broke the mold? Every person is Unique in their own way. Its not that one person is better than the other.Every human is special in the fact there is but one of them.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

i never said that special had anything about being better. i'm just saying that if everyone is special then no one is special. and think about it, there are 7 billion people out there, but there are really only a handful of talents so chances are the thing that one person might think makes them special or unique when compared to the other 7 billion people really isn't because at least one other person out there has the same talent, ability, whatever you want to call it, and yes they may even have the same personality.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Kail918

Well you have a point that someone may be out there with the same skill as one who thinks they are special. What I am getting at is since every individual human is a limited edetion so to speak. A one of a kind. Even twins have subtle differences that make them unique.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Autism: The Eusocial Hominid Hypothesis
Abstract:

ASDs (autism spectrum disorders) are hypothesized as one of many adaptive human cognitive variations that have been maintained in modern populations via multiple genetic and epigenetic mechanisms. Introgression from "archaic" hominids (adapted for less demanding social environments) is conjectured as the source of initial intraspecific heterogeneity because strict inclusive fitness does not adequately model the evolution of distinct, copy-number sensitive phenotypes within a freely reproducing population. Evidence is given of divergent encephalization and brain organization in the Neanderthal (including a ~1520 cc cranial capacity, larger than that of modern humans) to explain the origin of the autism subgroup characterized by abnormal brain growth. Autism and immune dysfunction are frequently comorbid. This supports an admixture model in light of the recent discovery that MHC alleles (genes linked to immune function, mate selection, neuronal "pruning," etc.) found in most modern human populations come from "archaic" hominids. Mitochondrial dysfunction, differential fetal androgen exposure, lung abnormalities, and hypomethylation/CNV due to hybridization are also presented as evidence.

Here's a brief video introduction to this hypothesis:

Here's the full 2-hour presentation.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It's in the vaccines I tell ya!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I suppose for clarification, I must say before anything else that I do not consider it a given that "autistic" is necessarily an impairment or even negative for many (although not all) people. Just... different. In fact, I feel that if people would stop seeing it as a given that it is always negative, or some sort of disease that must be cured, many of the conflicts that manifest for those on the spectrum would disappear.

I do think evolution has something to do with the rise in autism, although perhaps not all of it; the changes in the criteria for the diagnosis do have a great deal to do with the scope of the surge in those categorized as on the spectrum.

Having said that, I also feel that the changes in communication interfaces that you mentioned are interesting and may have something to do with the "evolution", although perhaps not as directly as you may be thinking. Over time those who may have been less socially adept have been able to find successful niches due to these technological advances and social interaction changed by them. Autistic people are often very good at direct "digital" systems and interactions when they are not so good at more fluid, analogous systems and interactions. So, people (particularly males) that may not have been successful or productive before are more desirable. We are frankly breeding the traits more because they are more successful, and those with the traits contribute to and effect the specifics of the technology, making those traits even more successful as time goes on. It is a spiral effect.

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
Wrabbit-

Another little tidbit to get you thinking...
We evolve for the earth, then we effect the earth (environmental toxins etc), which then means that we are evolving from a combination of the earth and what we have done to it.

At what point do we step in and say...we have changed our evolutionary track for the worst and now we have to fix it?

I am on the autistic spectrum, so is my daughter. From what you have said you have a child who is as well...? I don't consider my capacity or that of my child to be on an evolutionary track for the worst, I'm puzzled that you seem to be implying that. Perhaps, I misunderstand, and you are not necessarily linking the two, and I apologize if I have.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

In fact, certain types of programs actually change your brain waves.

I watched a lot of Disney movies and nature shows.

Perhaps that's why I love to sing, and then take down zebras and water buffalo?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

This is a fantastic post!

Although the argument FOR autism being a "necessary" change in nature, since we are surrounded by tech is solid in your provided examples - I'd say it is nearly impossible to rest on that with any real confidence, since "the grid" is as paper-thin and weak as it is.

I'll go on a limb and say that Mother Nature (Or, GOD in my case, both optional realities agreeing) recognizes how limited and temporary technology is and would therefore not make such selection.

We think of tech as being so rapidly moving, that we barely have the motivation to purchase the current phone on the shelf, knowing it will be a paperweight the following week. Why would nature "choose" NOW (give or take a few decades) to "settle in" a new mutation in our species?

Stagnant waters breed new things ironically, not the rapids. Nature needs time and specific ingredients to brew new things.

I'd say tech from the 40's to current isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to what's coming.

My hat's off to you in your venture with you son. That must be a wonderful challenge at times and something amazing to witness, other times.

I think autism is PARTIALLY, not EXCLUSIVELY a big, fat, trendy, excuse about 500% of that 800% of the time, for parents to "freak out" about and for kids to "be excused from" life.

Just because it was diagnosed the first time in the 40's, doesn't mean there weren't millions of would-be candidates out in the fields farming, or working in some other capacity for the last 10,000 years.

Bottom line - The excuses for people not working or not having to perform in school is a not-stop roller-coaster of BS.

I am sure this just set you off - Please keep in mind, I don't know you or your situation whatsoever. If you are genuinely challenged with a genuinely challenging scenario, take no offense.

Just don't bring up the subject of "natural selection" without being prepared to hear from some folks that will chime in, in support of nature's option to kill off the worthless and reward the bad asses.

This nation is filled with several million food-stamp using, "Doctor said I can't add to society" excuse-holding, soft, weak, wieners and I'm about sick of it all.

I'm going to "opt out" of supporting the idea that nature would "decide" to make people useless. A child being great with computers, basically guarantees they can never get laid...How is THAT nature's way of "evolving'?

Man up, 'Merica!

edit on 11-7-2013 by Eldensword because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Just stumbled upon this post. Let me add my thoughts:

I have Autism. I believe that it is the next stage in human evolution; for half a century we as humans have been stagnating. Yes we have a technological boom but we are facing the same problems of poverty, environmental destruction and rigid socioeconomical classes. Then along comes an autist like Einstein or Tesla who blows our consciousness out of the water. What if this 'thinking outside of the box' is what is going to propel us into a new stage of development

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Simon Baron-Cohen, Professor of Developmental Psychopathology at Cambridge Uni, (UK) and founder of the University's Autism Research Centre (ARC) has, I believe, said some people with ASD could represent an evolutionary step forward.

This, apparently relates to hyper-empathy seen in some autists and the lack of understanding of the (social) need to lie/not be direct and honest.

www.autismresearchcentre.com...

Lots of peer reviewed research and publications on the website.

edit on 31/12/2017 by teapot because: edit

posted on Dec, 31 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The New Master Race

Autists Unite!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join