It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap music,Thug life and the american culture is whats wrong with this country!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas

Its basically representing where you are from. Like the west coast or south side would be south coast pertaining to a certain area. I am from the UK and knew that.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

First off, if you REALLY think rap music is what's REALLY wrong with this country, you definitely need to do some studying. I grew up listening to all kinds of music. I remember when I was 10, the first rap song came out called ''Rapper's Delight'' by The Sugar Hill gang in 1979. Shortly after that came ''The Message'' by Grandmaster Flash in 1982.By the late 80's, there was Public Enemy, a very political rap group. There was a plan by corporate America, believe it or not, to exploit this relatively new form of entertainment, but they didn't want groups like P.E. reaching urban youth with political and social awareness. No money in that. Enter NWA. They started out as anti-establishment to a degree...then the record execs wanted them to up the ante...say hello to gangsta rap. And the thug life thing? Tupac was NOT referring to the buffoonery that is so pervasive in today's rap culture. If you listen to Tupac's FIRST albums, VERY political. However, things changed a little bit post- Death Row Records. Do some research, because no offense, but you have NO CLUE as to what you're talking about. What does rap have to do with this f****d up economy? What does rap have to do with these illegal wars being waged? What does rap have to do with your liberty being stripped from you slowly but surely? Catch my drift? Today's ''rap'',for lack of a better word, is garbage, but I remember a time when it wasn't. POLO

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Sorry...double post.
edit on 17-4-2012 by poloblack because: Posted double

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
im not a fan of rap music,some songs are ok,but for the most part,i dont listen to it.
but your accusation against this type of nusic has been going on forever!
fron elvis and chuck berry in the 50's to the beatnicks and hippies in the 60's to the glam rockers and motorheads in the 70's,to the punk rock and heavy metal head bangers in the 80's,then to new wave and rave music to finaly rap music. all have been accused of sex drugs and violence.
but in the immortal words of johnny cash:
'i shot a man in reno just to watch him die"!!!
mr. cash has many songs glorifying violence. so you can't just blame rap music!
i listen to a whole variety of music,and in every different style of music,i can point out a violent or drug song.
country + western music is by far the most violent!
even pink floyd has violence - careful with that axe eugene,one of these days,dogs of war.....
dont blame bad stuff on the things you don't like.
we can't all listen to perry como!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

lol
nice picture btw!! but it is because of rap music! U see, in country, metal or rock music there are no "sluts" shaking their ass and gettin "low" on the dance floor..... Rap has basically put the nail in the coffin of good morals for todays youth... I see it.... its apparent that u dont..

Really?

Rock:

Pop:

Heavy/Industrial:

Music is not responsible for societies problems.
I love every one of these songs.
Are they something I'd let my son listen to? No.
It's my responsibility to raise my son. I get so tired of people avoiding responsibility and trying to place blame (or trying to avoid blame when the fault is theirs). Where were these people when their child bought the music they are complaining about? Who gave their child the money for that CD? Who couldn't be bothered to check out what their child is watching on TV?
Someone is responsible, and it isn't the Rapper.
"Evil rap music" is not to blame...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I believe the adults had the same mind-set as yourself(OP) back in the 50's and 60's when they said that Rock and Roll was the 'devil'...!

edit on 17-4-2012 by scoodoo20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
You're stereotype of Rap is distasteful.

I think the majority of people can listen to musicians like Immortal Technique, Dr Dre, NWA, DJ Quik, Mike Shindoa or Eminem without going out, smoking drugs and stealing cars.

I can tell you as fact, more drugs are taken at a Festival (like Download or Sonisphere) where the music is Rock and Metal. I've recently seen Xzibit at my hometown, and the fans there were literally the furthest away from what I was expecting. White guys with their girlfriends were a prime example.

And when I went to see Karnivool, an Australian Alt Rock band, I was amazed to find myself stood next to the guitarist, whilst watching the support, with him as high as a kite.

Rap culture is horribly generalized as of late. You can't generalize every Rapper due to what a few mainstream artists may have done back in the day. Modern Rap artists are a lot more focused on the music. I've worked with a few, and they're generally talented people who're experimenting with genre's in great ways.
edit on 17-4-2012 by BourneConspiracy because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

It was created in NYC by dj's and people that decided to chant over the track. It happened organically, it wasn't "created".

ummm - so what part of this did you not understand?

I am not saying that hip hop was started by cultural marxists - merely that it was artificially promoted by them to further the cause, thanks to their stranglehold on all forms of media.

The whole trick is to get you to 'tolerate' what will destroy you, under the guise of being a high minded liberal - and then to outlaw anyone pointing that out as some form of hatespeech.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I wish I had seen this thread earlier so I could have exposed the flaws in the OP's premise. I eat, sleep and breathe Hip Hop and unfortunately it's one of the most abused genres of music. There are so many misconceptions and generalizations made about Hip-Hop music! Well, off to class now...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Hmmm....

Music isnt the problem. The lack of morals,and principles are.

which in return filters it way through music to the ears of the young helping them along with lacking morals, and principals.
so yes, music IS part of the problem...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Its the music industry plus Hollywood plus media, also moral, ethics, and common sense is at a all time low here.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9

I wish I had seen this thread earlier so I could have exposed the flaws in the OP's premise. I eat, sleep and breathe Hip Hop and unfortunately it's one of the most abused genres of music. There are so many misconceptions and generalizations made about Hip-Hop music! Well, off to class now...

Me too man, me too.

Dude, I still dress like Adrock circa 1986. Lol.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The difference between children who glorify the negativity emphasized in music comes down to one thing: either kids have a role model to provide them with a foundation, guidance, love and hope for their future, or they don't so they turn on the television to find out how to get the next-best thing - money. Money is elevated to panacea for those in poverty - they honestly believe none of their problems would exist if they had more money. People living in poverty also know that, barring education, their best hope for true wealth is fame or crime.

Pardon my reductionism, but those falling under the influence of negative entertainment aren't mysterious. It happens to those with nothing much else.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

lol nice picture btw!! but it is because of rap music! U see, in country, metal or rock music there are no "sluts" shaking their ass and gettin "low" on the dance floor..... Rap has basically put the nail in the coffin of good morals for todays youth... I see it.... its apparent that u dont..

Uhuh, what about the most popular genre for kids and adolescents? Pop music. Americas sweethearts that started with Mickey Mouse club

This reaches more kids than rap ever will.You even see the kids in the crowd.
edit on 17-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I always suspected that rappers were to blame for shipping my job to India, and jacking up the price of gas and groceries. How many stories have we read about a bunch of kids in saggy pants wearing their hats backwards kicking little old ladies and service men out of their homes. When will this madness end!

Really? I heard my parents talk about how kids with long hair wearing beads were going to ruin the country and how the Beatles and Rolling Stones were poisoning the minds of Americas youth.

My friend we have much bigger problems in this country than the rap industry and thug mentality. Our problems are much more complex and the forces of evil are wearing suits and sitting behind desks. Rap like rock and death metal will have it's followers and ebb and flow in and out of style. Kids acting up grow up and have families someday. No real or permanent threat to anything lasting or important. Just something shiny to distract us from the real evils of the world.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

THIS is Rap!

And this is one of the last "good" hip-hop songs. proving that the music wasn't always violent and misogynistic.

I like good music, period; the color of the artist makes ZERO difference. But with the rise of "gangsta rap" I started tuning out. Something about busting a cap in a pig's ass and knockin' boots with Hoes just doesn't do it for me.

So yes, I agree with Bill Cosby on this one: Most of the music that our kids listen to today is deleterious to their moral upbringing.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I just popped on before work to see what's new. And THIS this is in the hot flagged section of ATS. I mean come on. How pathetic. This whole thread should be 404'd. Just some ignorant person, making an ignorant thread to get a rise out of people. Just look at his avatar and you can just see the ignorance. Not to mention the ignorant posts.

So... op....... I am off to my job, something I recommend you find. You need a hobby.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

How can you not sense it?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

I feel like s big dummy I missed the avatar. Sorry I wasted my time posting a reply. It's hard to tell who's trolling and who's just riding their ignorant high horse to Righteousville sometimes.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
Yeah and those darn Beatles and their long hair and promiscuous ways!

And Elvis shakin his hips on national television - it's disgusting!

Rock and roll is ruining our culture and destroying the foundation of this once great nation!

I get that your being sarcastic, but you failed to draw a similar line between then and now. What songs were Elvis singing about murder, theft, cooking crack or human trafficing?

Who liked the Beatles? ALL of their music, was and is, terrible.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join