It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to the 'The Lying Slut' .............. Britains Toughest Pub!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by starchild10

I have had some of the most interesting conversations in such establishments.......normally at daft o'clock after being there for quite some considerable length of time....and with some of the most unlikeliest characters you would ever expect to enter into such conversations.

Yes, there are some interesting and surprising conversations to be had once the initial shock wears off, and you become part of the crowd. So long as you don't bring a beautiful woman with you, or try to take someone elses, and you are careful to not spill anyone's drink, then you shouldn't have any problems.

Although, I must admit, my time has been spent in little Honky Tonks and Beer Joints, the Biker Bars are different, and the neo-nazi hangouts are rougher yet! We do have one of those up the road here, and the police are well aware of it, and they only respond when requested by the bar owner. Two friends and I got away with bringing our black friend in there one night. It was a pretty good time after a somewhat tense start. His rebel flag vest helped somewhat I think.
edit on 17-4-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I can't believe some of the nonsense which a few people have written on this thread; sanctimonious, Daily Fail-esque comments about ''broken Britain'' are so wide of the mark it's not even funny.

Pubs, inns and taverns have been amongst the most volatile, dangerous and violent places in England for centuries.

Whilst statistics aren't obviously available, I'd wager that way, way more people died or got seriously injured in pubs during any century between the 12th and 19th, than have done during the 20th or 21st.

The accomplished playwright, Kit Marlowe, died after being stabbed in a pub-fight in the East End of London in the late 16th-century, for example.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Wow, oh wait....sorry, I thought you were talking about my X

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Nothing a little remodel can't fix, just needs a bit of an image makeover. Reminds me of when "Johnny Rotten" in a bid to remake his image changed his name to "Johnny Notsuchabadguyonceyougettoknowhim". Not much you can do for Gary Glitter but it worked for Johnny.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Did you really think that post through Sherlock? Off course the past centuries were more dangerous and violent.

But I think that if you look from the sixties, of this century we are living in currently, up until now that there has been a decline in society and morals.

Lol, ok that was pretty dumb, we are in a new century currently.

edit on 21-4-2012 by RandomEsotericScreenname because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Both parents having to work to make ends meet. Grand parents whipped off into some home. Leaving the kids to bring them selves up watching the TV. Is it any wonder the place is all screwed up. Kids learning their morals from watching the soaps. Only a week or so ago, some kid bashed his mothers head in with a hammer, then burnt the family home down. Some thing he learnt from watching the soaps.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This man must have got his inspiration from somewhere..

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
But there's no way any profits gained by increasing off licensed alcohol prices will be re-invested in social and community programmes of any kind.

Oh I agree, but something needs to be done to make alcohol less available.
For a long time we had a shop selling drink at one end of our street and an off-license at the other, and all day long we'd have drunks going back and forth, sitting on the benches outside, creaming at each other all day and all night, threatening kids, being extremely inappropriate.

The off-license has now been shut (for a licensing problem) and we have no drunks at all - without counting the weekend drinkers.

In an ideal world we would have the increase being spent in communities, but I know that's' not going to happen. We still need to make alcohol less available to the average alcoholic on the street, and increasing the price is an obvious choice.

I drink about once a month, and a couple of "weekenders" in the summer, so I'm more than happy to pay more for mine if it means a more cohesive society and less alcoholism to deal with. I think we've had it too easy, people have become used to cheap booze and now they don't want to give it up. But it's either that price increase or we continue to watch more and more people sinking into this level of alcoholism on a daily basis, which already stretches resources and costs us billions in the long run.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Despotism that-a-way.

I drink about once a month, and a couple of "weekenders" in the summer, so I'm more than happy to pay more for mine if it means a more cohesive society and less alcoholism to deal with.

Most of you don't understand how important alcohol is to your governments, so of course you'd make comments such as this. You see, without alcohol, your populations would start questioning matters. The government, for obvious reasons, can't have that. The population, for obvious reasons, can't handle that.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminnaughty
Only a week or so ago, some kid bashed his mothers head in with a hammer, then burnt the family home down. Some thing he learnt from watching the soaps.

Don't blame "the TV", that's such a cop out. It's bad parenting, yes, but not the TV's fault.

And that kid already had problems long before he did his mother in. She was trying to get medical intervention for her sons psychiatric problems for months prior to the attack. He only got the idea of how to do the murder from the soap, not the idea of the murder itself. I suggest you read the background of this crime, not the headline.

Let's not twist facts so they sound good from the moral pulpit, hey?

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

agree with a lot of that. though things aren't as they have "always" been- whilst no era is perfect a simple glance at the murder stats for the 50s compared with the 80s,90s,00s etc shows how there has been a severe increase in violence and general anti social behaviour- it is even worse when you factor in that with modern medical advances many incidents which would have resulted in "murders" in the 50s are now "only" serious injuries,assaults etc.

It is actually staggering if anyone cares to look at the murder figures compared with now
edit on 22-4-2012 by blueorder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

I would hazard a guess and say there are a multitude of reasons for any such increase (although I have not seen the figures myself) and it would be hard to pin them all on a simple "society is degrading". Society has changed alot in the past 50 years and yes, there is an element of social breakdown in certain area's, but many other places haven't seen a single murder in the past 50 years.

One thing to consider is the increase in population and population density. I am sure this can account for the raw increase. I do not know, however, if there has been an increase in the raw figures or if an increase has been observed in the per 1000 population.

I do keep an eye on the crime stats every year and violent crime figures are falling and have been consistently for some years.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

I think an important thing to realise is that many 'crimes' and 'offences' that are reported and included in modern statistics once over were either shrugged off and even accepted as part and parcel of life or were brushed under the carpet.
In most instances that's definately a good thing however, it's certainly led to some things being sensationalised etc.

When I first started drinking in pubs etc Landlords were encouraged and even expected to be able to look after themselves and to be able to sort trouble out themselves without involving police unless really necessary.
Nowadays Landlords and DPS's are more or less instructed not to get involved in any potential or actual violent situation, regardless of how trivial, and to report everything to the police.
This results in far more arrests etc and a general perception of increased violence.

In addition we no longer have bouncers who would give a drunken or slightly aggressive punter a bit of a slap and send him on his way, now we have doormen with strict instructions of how they can handle situations and who have a link to police and other doormen etc.
Again this results in far more situations being reported and recorded.

As with the increase in murder rates etc this is all just a reflection of society as a whole and the changing external forces that influence people and society.

As is the 'blame' and 'compensation' culture.
Once over people just accepted a black eye and a few scratches, now people report it immediately and hope to gain financial compensation from anyone or anywhere.

I certainly don't intend to trivialise anything but we really need to get a sense of perspective on some things.

Personally I genuinely believe that the reason successive governments seem intent on destroying pub culture is not for any health or finacial concerns but simply to stop people meeting and talking about how the politicians and their friends are continuing to screw this country over.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join