It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pell says Adam and Eve didn't exist

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
So.... I hear some of you dont believe the bible eh !! (like this post will change your mind but as a servent of god
(not the best) I must say this ! OK fine lets just say for 1 second the bible didnt exist right whell then Just explain
to me the book of Daniel and the book of Revelations !!! guess what folks EVERY SINGLE prophecy in the bible
either HAS or WILL become true !! the bible so far has a 100% accuracy rate Hmmm JUST a book huh now go
ahead and tell me ANOTHER book in our life time that can do exaclty that!!! I think some of you are refuting the
TRUTH because you are scared and guess what you are supposed to be I know I am! But the bible also says
that many bad things will happen and as long as you trust in him EVEN THO you mat be in pain you will have nothing to worry about !! oh and another fact has any of you been keeping track of the earthquakes I bet not as many that should be because they are getting more and more frequent and more powerfull hmm wonder why ?! the bible says they will do this ! think about it long and hard and instead of coming up with tiny arguments think about how it COULD be possible ans EVERY angle and you will find at every corner the TRUTH!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
this might help REAL PROOF!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
this secret footage took my breath away

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Thats quite a fancy dance to make yourself feel better.

I wonder if it will save all the people who built their lives on the literal interpretation of the bible.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

For starters, I was never taught the old covenant standards and I am not Jewish. I was taught that the old covenant was only for the Jews and although my religious upbringing told of the stories in the Old Testament it never focused on the laws. I didn't start researching the Old Testament until I was an adult. Everything was focused on how easy it was to accept salvation through Grace and the rest was based on following the 10 commandments. That was about as heavy as I got into the Old Testament. I never focused on the rest.

I'm ashamed to admit the closest I got to studying the old laws was by reading this book. It was very entertaining, informative, and gave some insight into this man's journey and whether or not following the laws would make one feel closer to God, even if they weren't sure they believed in God.

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

www.amazon.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by lovenothate

Could you repeat the question please? We were talking about the prophecies of Nostradamus right?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

For starters, I was never taught the old covenant standards and I am not Jewish. I was taught that the old covenant was only for the Jews and although my religious upbringing told of the stories in the Old Testament it never focused on the laws.

Whoa! wait wait wait....STOP THE PRESS!

You mean to tell me, You have been defending the story of creation, of Genesis, from the five books of Moses, the first five books of the Bible, the first five books of the Old Testament, the Torah, even parts of the Qu ran, the basis for the Abramic faiths, yet you never learned them, never looked at them until you were an adult? You were taught they only applied to the Jewish faith?

I'm ashamed to admit the closest I got to studying the old laws was by reading this book.

Look, I am not trying to rub your face in this, but you mean to tell me that you are defending the Bible, the story of creation, the very basis of the Christian faith, when the closest you have studied it is by reading a book from someone who tried to live by it? How can you possibly defend the Bible, the story of creation as being literally true and factual when you have not studied it, when you have not pondered the inconsistencies of the books you defend. that is like reading "Cole's notes" and defending or writing a book report on it without actually reading the book. what you are doing is basing your opinion on it based on someone else opinion on it.

I am honestly completely baffled by this.

Do you understand how someone else teachings can be wrong when it comes to the Bible? You were taught that the Old Testament was for Jews when it is in fact the Basis of the Christian Faith.
edit on 4/11/2012 by RyanFromCan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by jiggerj

What? "Violent" vs. "Non-Violent"? You do realize what era we're talking about, right? What form of execution existed back then that wasn't violent?

I'm sorry if my comments sound insane to you, but there's only so much you can explain to someone who isn't familiar with the story or the Bible.

LOL I love how when people offer rational opinions on the bible they are automatically ill-informed. By your own words about what era we're talking about is proof that the writers of the bible knew only about that era. They couldn't have written about a benevolent god because the people of that time were ignorant and brutal. There is no way they could fathom that an all-powerful, all-knowing god would NEVER condone violence of ANY kind.

Think about it! If you created a child (by normal human birth), at any time in that child's life would you wish for him to go out and kill somebody, or wish for your child to be killed? Hopefully, the answer is no, so how could you possibly be more loving and more merciful than your GOD?
edit on 4/11/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lovenothate
So.... I hear some of you dont believe the bible eh !! (like this post will change your mind but as a servent of god
(not the best) I must say this ! OK fine lets just say for 1 second the bible didnt exist right whell then Just explain
to me the book of Daniel and the book of Revelations !!! guess what folks EVERY SINGLE prophecy in the bible
either HAS or WILL become true !! the bible so far has a 100% accuracy rate Hmmm JUST a book huh now go
ahead and tell me ANOTHER book in our life time that can do exaclty that!!! I think some of you are refuting the
TRUTH because you are scared and guess what you are supposed to be I know I am! But the bible also says
that many bad things will happen and as long as you trust in him EVEN THO you mat be in pain you will have nothing to worry about !! oh and another fact has any of you been keeping track of the earthquakes I bet not as many that should be because they are getting more and more frequent and more powerfull hmm wonder why ?! the bible says they will do this ! think about it long and hard and instead of coming up with tiny arguments think about how it COULD be possible ans EVERY angle and you will find at every corner the TRUTH!

Wow, some of us are accused of not knowing the bible. Now I'm going to turn it around and ask, have you read anything else? You do know of Krakatowa, right? Mount Vesuvius? The meteor that killed all the dinosaurs? The bubonic plague? Spanish flu? American revolution? The fall of Rome?

Tell us, what biblical prophecy has come true?

Bad stuff has happened since the beginning of the planet. Religious doom-sayers have been predictiing the end of the world throughout history. Well, they've been wrong so far, but the one thing you have going for you is that there will always be doomsayers, so, sooner or later ONE of them is going to be right.
edit on 4/11/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You made a blanket statement about how anyone can believe anything they want. This wasn't specific to believing in adam and eve.

Google "context".

I was telling Garfee to believe whatever he wanted to about the Bible and the Adam and Eve account, in a thread about Adam and Eve in the book of Genesis.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

Sorry, if you misunderstood me.

I've studied prophecy in the Old Testament thoroughly, but I never studied certain laws (maybe I should have used the word "customs") that the Jews used to follow before Christ.

I've spent most of my time in the Old Testament studying Genesis, Exodus, Jeremiah, Zechariah, Zephaniah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Isaiah, Psalms, Esther, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.

I thought you were asking about eating pork, wearing beards, etc. I never spent any time reading over the laws of unclean animals. I didn't feel like they applied to me and without having lived or practiced what the Jews did in that time, I don't have a stance or opinion on what they practiced and whether it was right or wrong.

You asked why these laws changed and I told you. A New Covenant was put into place. In fact, maybe it wouldn't hurt to be familiar with all of the covenants. Here is a complete list of them:

www.gotquestions.org...

edit on 12-4-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

So, if my husband decided to lay his life down for me, so that I would never have to suffer, you would have a problem with that?

Jesus gave himself so that no one would have to suffer eternal death.

God sent Jesus (a part of himself) to suffer so that you wouldn't have to. It's called love and unselfishness, but I guess the modern world doesn't understand that definition today.

How old are you?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

If you really want to know, which I don't think you do, here are some prophecies that have been fulfilled for you to ponder:

www.100prophecies.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

I've studied prophecy in the Old Testament thoroughly, but I never studied certain laws (maybe I should have used the word "customs") that the Jews used to follow before Christ.

I've spent most of my time in the Old Testament studying Genesis, Exodus, Jeremiah, Zechariah, Zephaniah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Isaiah, Psalms, Esther, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.

AMEN! You must too, there are 300 some prophecies concerning Christ's first coming, and 2600 or so concerning His 2nd coming. And praise the Lord you're not digging throughout the OT for what to do, you might be trying to keep all the Levitical laws given to the Priests.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Oh My God! A Catholic Cardinal views certain bible stories as allegory. What a shocker!

Newsflash!; so do a whole lot of Christians, Catholics and seekers of spiritual truth who hold the Bible in high esteem. We all have opinions.

The idea that Genesis 1-3 is difficult/impossible to take as literal, and views on creation should change as more information is learned regarding how we came about, goes all the way back to St. Augustine(3rd century) in the Catholic Church.

edit on 12-4-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: clarity

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman
Oh My God! A Catholic Cardinal views certain bible stories as allegory. What a shocker!

Newsflash!; so do a whole lot of Christians, Catholics and seekers of spiritual truth who hold the Bible in high esteem. We all have opinions.

The idea that Genesis 1-3 is difficult/impossible to take as literal, and views on creation should change as more information is learned regarding how we came about, goes all the way back to St. Augustine(3rd century) in the Catholic Church.

edit on 12-4-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: clarity

I am glad someone else acknowledged the obvious.

There are several allegories and metaphors in the Bible. That doesn't lessen the value of what is trying to be said and the lesson trying to be taught. It just means what many of us already knew...the Bible is not a literal history book. Yes it does have some literal history in it, but it is intended to be a guide, not a textbook.

I read all religions and every scrap of philosophy I can get my hands on...none of them are completely, literally correct on everything they have to say. I also read science and engineering...I have managed to find peace in my mind with the discrepancies of philosophical and theological text and what is real and tangible science....

Some of you need to take a moment and consider expanding your horizons...your spiritual AND intellectual databases....
edit on 4/12/2012 by Damrod because: spelling and gif

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

That was accurate until Einstein and Michael Behe came along. With what we know from modern Physics and DNA the easier Genesis 1 reads. But that might just be me, I'm a Physics nerd.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

That was accurate until Einstein and Michael Behe came along. With what we know from modern Physics and DNA the easier Genesis 1 reads. But that might just be me, I'm a Physics nerd.

Oh be serious. Do you really not get it? Do you really not accept sites like Gobekli-tepe? Sites that....beyond a doubt...double the date of humanity the Bible gives?

It is a metaphor....(or an allegory-choose your descriptor). The story of the life in a garden and just having all you needed and then suddenly toiling the ground to make your food is a metaphor for the transition from hunter - gatherer to an agrarian society. This is not blasphemous! It is what actually happened!

Gobekli Tepe...(what has been excavated) dates to around 10,000 BCE. Now couple that with Hacilar...where the earliest evidence of agrarian life ( animal domestication and repeated crop growing) at about 7,000 BCE....we see that the world of modern man is much older than what the chronological dating of the Biblical books account for.

Don't be angry and don't have a hard time incorporating this. Just realize those early books were working from oral history and had no idea what they were talking about chronologically....this again is not a crime.

This is not a crime...it is an opinion of the uneducated, early scribes.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by jiggerj

You made a blanket statement about how anyone can believe anything they want. This wasn't specific to believing in adam and eve.

Google "context".

I was telling Garfee to believe whatever he wanted to about the Bible and the Adam and Eve account, in a thread about Adam and Eve in the book of Genesis.

I see your point. I've had that grievance a few times myself. Apologies.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by jiggerj

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

So, if my husband decided to lay his life down for me, so that I would never have to suffer, you would have a problem with that?

Jesus gave himself so that no one would have to suffer eternal death.

God sent Jesus (a part of himself) to suffer so that you wouldn't have to. It's called love and unselfishness, but I guess the modern world doesn't understand that definition today.

How old are you?

You missed the point, so how old are you? This isn't about your husband. It's about you sending your child off to be deliberately killed. NO GOD WOULD DO THAT!

Mother to child: Son, I need to let the neighbors know that I forgive them for trespassing. Would you mind going over there so they can beat you and nail you to a cross?

THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join