It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade Propane

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The answer is to throw away the propane stove.

Buy a coleman fuel stove that will also burn unleaded gasoline.

Or just stick to propane Hank Hill.....

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
May I state the obvious? Please use wood to cook with and for heat. It is quite abundant and non explosive. You might have to split some, but it's good exercise.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
The answer is to throw away the propane stove.

Buy a Coleman fuel stove that will also burn unleaded gasoline.....

no way would i use unleaded gasoline for cooking food. they now use some dangerous additives in unleaded gasoline that are highly toxic.

don’t forget gasoline contains benzene which increases cancer risk, specifically brain tumors.

white gas for cook stoves is different from any kind of automobile fuel and does not contain dangerous additives.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

As per the OP:

He has a propane heater, but the problem is propane. He's out of propane, and so I though I'd put the question to the wilderness-savvy bushwhackers out there. How do you make homemade propane?

You DO NOT make homemade propane, nor is there anyway whatsoever to refill the little tanks that go to his heater in the wilderness. If he is out of propane, grab an axe, and go chop firewood. That is what us wilderness-savvy bushwhackers do. We don't use things that require non-replenishable items.

If he loves his heater, buy many extra tanks, and lug them on your expedition. My advice is to ditch the propane heater entirely. For the price of a tank re-fill, you can buy a nice double-headed ax, like this:

and then practice using it.

The technique is to chop, and while you are raising it above your head for the next chop, you pivot the axe in your hands, and use the other side for the next chop. Pivot, repeat, pivot repeat. Once your have your stash of firewood, hone the edge to keep it razor sharp. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to use. You let the sharpness do all the work and it requires minimal effort with a little practice to produce a nights worth of firewood.

Disclaimer: The edges ARE razor sharp. I have a scar on my left wrist about an inch long from keeping my axe too sharp. Be careful, and use caution.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Next lesson:

"Make your own fossils 101" and the latest hit "Making oil from spit"

I dont think you can "make" propane mate...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Propane is a no-go, sorry, but you can make gaseous fuel, there are a few methods, the first that comes to mind is "wood gas" made using a "wood gas generator".

Wikipedia - Wood Gas Generator

Here is a link to a PDF file from www.woodgas.net, I leave the responsibility for downloading it and any problems as a result up to you, I am just providing the link.

FEMA Emergency Gassifier (PDF)

As far as coal, as was mentioned before, yes, you can get "coal gas" from coal, but it is a difficult process. During WWII, some people did just that, including my grandfather, and filled a rubber bladder on top of his car to fuel the motor.

Wikipedia - Coal Gassification

it is a similar process to generating gas from wood, but not exactly the same.

you could go the route that has already been described here using calcium carbide and water to produce acetylene, but it (like the other methods) is dangerous, in fact, Acetylene is a little more so than a wood gassifier, and probably up there with coal gassification.

My best advice is do some research on "wood gassifiers" or "wood gas generators". google can be a useful tool.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I should also include the production of Alcohol at home, I won't go into detail here, but you can produce your own "industrial" alcohol at home with little fuss.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Several years ago, NASA had a "Home of the Future.' Incorporated in it were the manufacturing of methane gas from the septic take. If you don't mind going around picking up fresh poo, this may help.
However, in a SHTF scenario, a good pair of rubber gloves may help.

journeytoforever.org...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I did the research on storing propane for SHTF scenario. Whether big tank or small tank, it costs about $3 per pound to acquire a tank and store propane. So you're best bet is to buy the 1lb disposable tanks at Walmart or similar retailer. I have noticed at quick shops where they sell refill/exchange tanks, they offer purchase "new" for $49.95, but I don't know if that includes 20lbs of propane. If it does, then it is a deal. My thought is to have an old enduro motorcycle converted to propane via the 1lb tanks. If you stock piled a few thousand tanks you'd be one of the only people on wheels after about a year after the game changing event. Just thoughts of a mad man.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Hydrogen Peroxide Combustion

I think this mixture would be to explosive the op is after DIY propane though saying that if you made a mistake
you would probably get a
Na Palm faceslap

Here is your Facepalm
edit on 10-4-2012 by TomServo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Captain Beyond
May I state the obvious? Please use wood to cook with and for heat. It is quite abundant and non explosive. You might have to split some, but it's good exercise.

The reason to stay away from wood is because a wood fire may be seen for miles at night, smoke can be seen for miles during the day and a wood fire can be smelt from a goodly distance.

Trying to survive would indicate that you do not want others to know where you are or you may find a large heavily armed group of people wanting your entire campsite.

Try and be a little smarter rather than a smart alec.

P

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Longshots
If you stock piled a few thousand tanks you'd be one of the only people on wheels after about a year after the game changing event. Just thoughts of a mad man.

I would disagree with that, Wood Gassifiers can be easily made mobile, others can stockpile fuels of different types, and then there are more silent, stealthier types of transport, like bikes. It would not take long for regular transport routs to fall into such decay that traveling them at any sort of speed would be hazardous, and you will likely not be ripping through the bush at any great speed.

While your idea had merits, it also has some serious drawbacks. As for heating and light, propane may, or may not be an answer. if you are going to use fire for light, might as well use candles for light, if heat is an issue, warm larger non porous rocks on your fire and keep them in a bucket at night in your shelter, or build a suitable fireplace to burn wood. for non-traditional tent camping, there are so many ways you can heat without propane, but for tent camping, just buy a small propane bottle.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

The reason to stay away from wood is because a wood fire may be seen for miles at night, smoke can be seen for miles during the day and a wood fire can be smelt from a goodly distance.

Trying to survive would indicate that you do not want others to know where you are or you may find a large heavily armed group of people wanting your entire campsite.

Try and be a little smarter rather than a smart alec.

P

I respectfully disagree, there are ways to reduce both the visibility of the flames, and smoke. Here is a video from Bushcraft On Fire, David Wendell is one of the hosts of the "All Things Survival" show on Thursday Evenings, and a very knowledgeable source.

In this video, he talks about the Dakota Fire Pit:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Plastic to Oil - A desktop sized polymer recycler and oil distilliery.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by subject1145

you may want to look into gasification. Basically anything that burns can be gasified and the gas can then be used by other things like a combustion engine etc. May not be exactly what you are looking for but you should look into it.

Like using the smoke from incomplete burning of wood, coconut husks etc. to run a car engine. I've seen this in action and also read of it being done in the Phillipines during WWII.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Methane not propane is what you need to concentrate on.Methane is the natural byproduct of decomposition of natural matter. If you have a compost heap in your back yard you are producing methane right now.

I also mentioned using wood smoke from incomplete burning (the thick dark smoke) to run a car or small engine.in a response to another poster I've seen this working on a 1966 chevy truck 6 cvlinder. I also read about coconut husks used to power cars in the Phillipines during WWII

I personally do not know of a method of rapidly producing propane or methane.To be honest with you I would not feel safe with a make shift/homemade device that makes flammable gas in a rapid enough fashion to run a grill or heater

One final thought is to research acetlyene (sp?) lanterns used by coal miners in old times. Water was dripped on piece of carbide (I think its called) to produce acetylene gas which was burned in the head lamp of the miners hat or lamp. Google carbide lamp and you should get all the info you need.

Hope this helps "cause this is all I know

edit on 10-4-2012 by grubblesnert because: It was a mispelling nightmare!!!!!!!1

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by lostjohnny

Thank you for sharing. A simple machine that solves many problems. Use it in conjuntion with a solar heating method would be great. I'm here in Florida and we have plenty of that

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

I remember reading once they use to make gas by heating coal in a container and the gas that came off was flammable. If you are going to try this, do some research first. I could be wrong on it..

It's been done. I have even seen a model t pickup truck with a coal gas generator in the bed. I have never lived anywhere that had coal though.

www.oldmagazinearticles.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I'm not sure of the exact process but you will need several rolls of duct tape and at least 5lb of baling wire otherwise known as "farm wire" or "soft wire." I think Red Green covered this on one of his shows, you should be able to pull up some of his instructional videos on youtube.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Also use animal skins and leaves as clothing. A rock on the end of a stick for a weapon. A cave or hollow log as shelter.
Not a progressive thinker are you?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join