It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No licenses for Illegals in CA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I did a search for this topic and nothing came up so I hope there is not already a thread on this. If there is I apologize.

Arnold Schwarzenegger veto'd a bill that would have allowed illegals in California to obtain a drivers license. This has been a hot topic in the State of California. Arnold agrees that illegals should be allowed to have some type of drivers license, however, he would like for it to be marked in a way that it is obvious that the person is not a citizen .

I am curious to know what people's views are on this subject. Simply having a drivers license opens a lot of doors for people, including the ability to register to vote. I agree with Arnold's decision that if illegals are going to have a license, it needs to show that they are NOT a citizen.

Schwarzenegger, who promised to veto the bill after lawmakers passed it Aug. 27, said in a brief veto message that the bill did not address his security concerns. The bill lacked a key provision he insisted upon for months, a special identifying mark on the licenses held by illegal immigrants. Supporters of the bill said such a mark would create a "scarlet letter" stigma.
The governor's veto added new weight to California's decade-old ban against licensing illegal immigrant adult drivers, most of them from Mexico. It also marked Schwarzenegger's second major decision on the issue, coming 10 months after he pushed lawmakers to repeal a similar law signed by Gov. Gray Davis shortly before his defeat in the October recall.

Schwarzenegger, who made the license law a central theme of his 2003 campaign against Davis, said there were concerns about establishing the identities of immigrants.

"One of the most important duties of the governor of a state is to protect its citizens," Schwarzenegger said in his message. "Determining the true identity and history of an individual is a key component of that protection."

Neighboring states allow illegal immigrants to obtain licenses, but supporters said the proposed bill would have been the strictest in the nation. The bill required criminal background checks, fingerprinting, adult sponsors and a $141 fee. Applicants would have also provided a federal taxpayer identification card or identification card from their consulates.

www.signonsandiego.com...

As a result of Arnolds decision there is talk in the Hispanic community of 'boycotting' products from California. I heard this on the radio but have not yet found anything online to get more information.

I believe that Arnold is doing the right thing. Any thoughts?

Jemison

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hispanic leaders angry with Arnolds decision are organizing a protest and a National boycott to disrupt convention business. They did something similar last year and it was not effective, however, hispanics are outraged that they are being denied a license and are vowing to continue to fight.

Hispanic leaders and pro-immigrant groups angry over Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's veto of legislation allowing illegal immigrants to get drivers licenses are organizing protests and a national boycott to disrupt convention business.

Lopez, who led a one-day state boycott in December over the same issue, said he will organize a national boycott to drive conventions away from such popular destinations as San Diego, Los Angeles, Anaheim and San Francisco.

Full story:
www.signonsandiego.com...

Jemison

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
I did a search for this topic and nothing came up so I hope there is not already a thread on this. If there is I apologize.

I am curious to know what people's views are on this subject. Simply having a drivers license opens a lot of doors for people, including the ability to register to vote. I agree with Arnold's decision that if illegals are going to have a license, it needs to show that they are NOT a citizen.

um, and illegals should be in the country why? if they need a license for passport vacation reasons, they can always get a international one.

legal immigrants, with green cards, get the same one everyone else does. ILLEGAL, means they should be shipped back across. we have a amnesty program, we do allow immigration, but at some point we need to shut off the tap

Im wondering how at all illegal (note key word illegal) immigrants have any say on gov policies. boycott the boycotters.

[edit on 2004-9-25 by NuTroll]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Im wondering how at all illegal (note key word illegal) immigrants have any say on gov policies. boycott the boycotters.

I agree 100%. I'm not sure why it is that illegals have such a sense of entitlement. How they can basically demand to get a drivers license is beyond me.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I believe that illegal immigrants should get no drivers license, no public health/welfare nor should their children attend schools I fund.

If they want to live in the US they should apply for that right like everyone including my ancestors did.

Just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Everyone that is in this country illegally should upon discovery be transfered to an immigration faculty for a hearing to see if they can claim asylum or if no reason for that exist, be deported right away. NO exceptions. A license should not even be considered for these people. They are not supposed to be here period. If the hispanic leaders dont like it well that shouldn't matter.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

We've seen many examples of illegal aliens who were stopped by local police but set free, only to commit crimes instead of being deported. One such case is the notorious Dec. 19, 2002, gang rape in Queens, N.Y., of a mother of two by five illegal aliens from Mexico and Central America who had been arrested several times, but never turned over to the immigration agency.

www.declaration.net...

I just don't understand why when illegals are found, they aren't immediately deported. So if I want to trespass on the White House, I should just be fined for trespassing and allowed to stay there?

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It's really very simple, the rascists in charge at MALDEF and MECHA want to liberate a large part of the United States for their own power block which would be reunited with Mexico.
MECHA and Aztlan "Everything for the race. Everything outside the race, nothing."
Open your eyes!
More!
MALDEF

Just so that you know, MALDEF does not employ any person that does not have hispanic blood in their family.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I just don't understand why when illegals are found, they aren't immediately deported. So if I want to trespass on the White House, I should just be fined for trespassing and allowed to stay there?

Good Point. Why is it that American Citizens get arrested for their illegal activities whereas illegal immigrants, who by definition are committing a crime just by being in the U.S. don't have any consequences. It is VERY rare for an illegal to be deported even if they have committed a crime other than being here illegally. I'm fed up with paying their medical expenses, paying for them to do jail time, supporting their children, etc.

This has GOT to stop!!!

I'm surprised no one has spoken up to defend the 'rights' of illegals!

Jemison

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If they're here Illegally, then they shouldn't be entitled to ANYTHING my Tax dollars pay for. Why give them Licenses? How are they getting vehicles or insurance over here? It's Illegal to employ undocumented workers...last i heard anyways.. They come here get FREE medical, and education.
I mean, I've been working full time since the age of 15. And since i also happen to be Caucasian and Male... I , for some reason, did not seem to be eligible for any service (When i fell on hard times) that my Taxes have been paying for. Hell, I had a hard enough time just trying someone that could communicate with me in English..

If it's someone applying for Asylum, and trying to get in through legal means, then by all means let them come. I will welcome them with open arms but, when they sneek in like vermin, they should be Deported immediatly to whatever thier country of origin...

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Well the reason the Houston Police Department has a formal policy in place not to arrest illegals is because there are so many of them here already that if word got out that HPD was arresting illegals then the illegals would not call the police in case they were a victim of a crime. Considering there are a few hundred thousand illegals here in town then I can see where this would create a problem with the officials in power getting re-elected so they pawn it off on the feds to take care of.

The same thing goes with medical care. Any illegal can come to an emergency room and get care for even the smallest problem which your tax dollars pay for because the hospital district doesn't want to refuse them and turn them in. If they did turn them in they wouldn't go for medical care at all. This would raise the threat of outbreaks and would also cost the hospital more in the long run when they come in on a meat wagon after something major happens to them.

As far as the schools go, they come here to have kids because when a child is born here they are an American citizen. They are then entitled to an education. The parents also have a better chance of getting green cards if they have kids. They know this. They also get all the other free benifits. This is why they come here and breed like rabbits.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

They also get all the other free benifits. This is why they come here and breed like rabbits.

Here in Southern California we have an epidemic where pregnant illegals come flooding in so that they can give birth in the states. My solution to this is to get a floating labor and delivery ship and when an illegal shows up to give birth in a local hospital, fly them to the ship so that the child is born in international waters and is not automatically a U.S. citizen. Yes, I know this would be costly but it would actually be cheaper than supporting the child for 18 years through the other Government programs!!!

I have a lot of respect for Arnold that he was able to stand up to the illegals and deny them a regular drivers license. I think that he needs to be more firm in regard to illegals and really crack down on them, but I think the Federal Government needs to seal our borders and stop this chaos. The illegal's are costing us a fortune and it is totally out of control.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It might be difficult to get the baby to wait on the flight to get over international waters though.

I have a lot of respect for Arnold too. He has the nuts to speak his mind. He's not like our candy a-hole Governer. But then again look how our Governer got his job. From GB.

IBM

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Illegals should not be in the country in the first place, let alone get a US license. Those people need to stop the complaining, Governor Arnold did the right thing. If they cause accidents who pays for them, thats right US citizens, they are not citizens they should not be allowed to have a license.

LL1

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Illegal means exactly that!

il�le�gal
adjective
1. law against the law: forbidden by law
2. sports game against the rules: not allowed by the rules of something such as a game
Yes! Broke the rules.
How can we allow someone that as already committed a crime to go forward?
Yes, they work very hard and I've seen that, but are usually taken advantage of.
Don't get me wrong I feel very sorry for them, but by offering a license,
is solidifying/confirming it's okay to do wrong.
If I illegally drive up a one way street, I'm ticketed.
If I illegally enter area 51 I'm shot. (u can enter the country but not area 51?)
If I illegally go through a red light I'm not only ticketed, but my insurance goes up.
Talking about insurance, watch the insurance companies profit/benefit and charge us universal charges for illegals driving.
As insurance companies do not allow insurance to anyone that has a felon in their household, what is entering the country illegally....
A felon.

LL1

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
If you are a taxpayer read:

www.washtimes.com...

It's a nation wide problem.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
One week Arnold pardons murderers, the next week he denies illegals drivers license. Man! Talk about walking the fence! Don't get me wrong! I think it's great at what he did in denying the right to illegal immigrants to get a license! It's about time someone has the nerve to stand up to thoses who come into this nation illegally and think they can have the same privileges as a citizen (and those who think they should. e.g. ACLU)

Bad
on the pardons for murderers!

Good
on denying illegals their license!

Arnold is really proving he is a moderate, that's for sure!

[edit on 25/9/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

As insurance companies do not allow insurance to anyone that has a felon in their household, what is entering the country illegally....

I have heard that you don't need a drivers license to get insurance. Insurance is for the car, not the driver. Is that true?

Also, these illegals are already driving. They don't care that they don't have a license or insurance. They didn't respect the laws to get INTO the Country and nothing happened so it shouldn't be surprising that they won't abide by the laws now that they are here.

Jemison

LL1

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Requirements per NYS:

www.nydmv.state.ny.us...

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This is why I have uninsured motorist coverage on my stuff. Twenty percent of the people on the road here don't have insurance. Why, you ask. Because they are illegals. Don't believe me. Anyone else from a border state willing to conferm this?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join