It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible for someone with a cellphone camera to make the celestial discovery of all time?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SGTSECRET

You don't need a peer reviewed paper to announce a discovery such as a new comet or whatever.

The cost of the camera is not the issue. Cellphones take horrible photos. It's sad that these junk cameras are considered acceptable.

Are you suggesting that there is merit to idea that some person with no training and a cellphone could be the first to find a new planet? If so I would like to hear about it.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Sometimes my tone sounds harsh (about knocking on amateurs) but I knew what you meant and I know you were not ripping on them but on a laymen, just putting it out there.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Absolutely, amateurs contribute.

Amateurs have been asked to assist NASA. Amateurs find new comets. Amateurs detect changes in the clouds of Jupiter. Amateurs are amazing.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
You know Galleleo was an amateur. It astonishes me that people can believe there can be something sneaking up on us. There are way to many knowledgable hobbyists watching the sky!

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
So I went to Google to search out stories or claims rather on people that have again, claimed to have found planets using a cell phone. I just wanted to see how in the hell they claimed to do this.... After all... They have Apps that will detect ghost.... Or so they claim....

Anyways... I searched ATS ... this is what came up

ask.abovetopsecret.com...

Give me better search words if u think these failed...

I then googled....

www.google.com...

Nothing...

What are you talking about???

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
It comes down to convenience, and the social conditioning of lowest common denominator-ism.

It's more convenient and easier to find 'REAL', 'TRUE', total fantasy drivel on Youtube, and/or any social network, and get support, likes, views, whatever for posting similar than it is to do actual work in educating oneself, and/or doing real work/research.

The planet, or at least the 1st world is getting steadily preconditioned for an attitude of convenience where the first and easiest, and/or most popular answer MUST be the true answer.

It's a total distortion of occam's razor.

Keep an eye on similar applied sociological factors and it's morbidly fascinating to see the increase in lack of education even as access to educational resources becomes more readily available.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

You might try searching on Nibiru in the 2012 forum. Originally, I had it placed there, but a mod moved it over to this forum. There are countless threads devoted to images from cell phones that show lens flares, internal reflections, images taken through windshields, and through house windows all purporting to be evidence of a new planet.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

From my experience here at ATS I've learned that using an architect, astronomer, engineer, etc that has decades of experience in their field as a source is immediately pushed aside due to 'no peer reviewed paper' bs. So thats where that comment came in, the $500 camera statement was sarcasm.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Actually, a $500 camera is extremely cheap consumer level Walmart 'junk', at least on the DSLR front.

For a full-frame sensor professional grade camera body, just the body with no lenses, in the Canon or Nikon industry professional lines, you're looking at $2,500 - $8,000.

Add professional lenses, not consumer grade, and you're looking at $1,500 - $3,000 for each lens.

Proper equipment to do the job properly is not cheap.

Here's Canon's professional line-up

The top 4 cameras listed are full-frame sensor bodies. Prices listed are for camera body alone without lenses or any other accessories.

For cam-corders, well, take a look: Canon's Professioan HD Cam corders

Canon and Nikon are the industry standards for professional photography. I'm most familiar with Canon product line as a photographer which is why I'm citing their products.
As a disclaimer, my citation of these is not endorsement, or meant for advertising. I'm just pointing out that $500 worth of equipment is considered cheap.

edit on 6-4-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

There are times where peer reviewed papers are important. This is not the case.

The new planet discovery is like stumbling onto an unknown plot of land in New York City. It's not happening.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join