It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Is it possible for someone with a cellphone camera to make the celestial discovery of all time?

page: 1
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
So many people seem to think that it is possible to discover a new planet with a cellphone camera.

There have been so many threads in which someone claims that an artifact in an image is an actual physical object in the solar system and that this is proof of it.

Don't you think that a professional astronomer would like to make such an announcement first?

Don't you think that an amateur that looks at the skies all of the time would love to be famous forever by announcing this?

Does it ever occur to people to go outside and look to verify these claims?

Doesn't it make sense to people that a new planet would have a profound effect on other planets by altering their orbits?

How do these ideas get as far as they do? What is it that makes such things believable to some?




posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
yes.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Q: How do these ideas get as far as they do? What is it that makes such things believable to some?
A: Some people simply aren't too bright.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
possible.....



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
So many people seem to think that it is possible to discover a new planet with a cellphone camera.

There have been so many threads in which someone claims that an artifact in an image is an actual physical object in the solar system and that this is proof of it.

Don't you think that a professional astronomer would like to make such an announcement first?

Don't you think that an amateur that looks at the skies all of the time would love to be famous forever by announcing this?

Does it ever occur to people to go outside and look to verify these claims?

Doesn't it make sense to people that a new planet would have a profound effect on other planets by altering their orbits?

How do these ideas get as far as they do? What is it that makes such things believable to some?


I think there are so many people who desperately want to have their 15 seconds in the spotlight that they grasp at straws to get it. This, coupled with their need to believe in something else creates an overwhelming drive to see/want/be involved in a fantastic story. I can't see anyone catching anything on a fuzzy cell camera/video EVER being taken as a scientific fact. I know I have taken video on my camera of random strange occurrences or just to capture the interesting clouds and they NEVER come out looking like what I actually see with my eyes. Not that I have seen anything strange, just that the rendering capabilities of a cell phone are crap for quality.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
When you quit teaching science ... anything is possible!



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Most would rather believe a crappy YouTube video taken by an amateur, with a crappy camera or cell phone, than go outside and look up. It's too hard to Google the facts or go to a site that has the right information. It's easier to spread doom and gloom. More exciting, don't ya know.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
Most would rather believe a crappy YouTube video taken by an amateur, with a crappy camera or cell phone, than go outside and look up. It's too hard to Google the facts or go to a site that has the right information. It's easier to spread doom and gloom. More exciting, don't ya know.


Agreed. People seem to love selling the drama.

There was a new thread posted tonight saying there is a blue orb around the moon. Now normally I wouldn't bother with a trip outside, but I thought what the hell, I'll go look for myself. Moon was high in the sky. Moon was very full and bright. There was no blue orb. I was not disappointed.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I also see an unwillingness to question ideas. It seems that taking everything hook, line, and sinker is easy and the justification is invariably that this represents being open minded.

In science ideas are not taken without thinking. Ideas are challenged repeatedly. The same should be done when showing an image of a "new planet".

1. Is the photo real or faked?
2. Is the photo showing something due to the camera such as an internal reflection or a sensor issue?
3. Is the photo showing something close to the camera? Is it a window reflection or something along those lines?
4. Is the photo showing an atmospheric event? Is it a sun dog, or halo, or CZA, or opalescent cloud, etc.
5. Is the photo showing a known object? Is it a plane or a star or known planet or even a distant galaxy?

Ask questions and determine what is being shown.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I snapped an angel on my fone !


Or it cudda been my girlfriend in her white g-string !





posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
I also see an unwillingness to question ideas. It seems that taking everything hook, line, and sinker is easy and the justification is invariably that this represents being open minded.

In science ideas are not taken without thinking. Ideas are challenged repeatedly. The same should be done when showing an image of a "new planet".

1. Is the photo real or faked?
2. Is the photo showing something due to the camera such as an internal reflection or a sensor issue?
3. Is the photo showing something close to the camera? Is it a window reflection or something along those lines?
4. Is the photo showing an atmospheric event? Is it a sun dog, or halo, or CZA, or opalescent cloud, etc.
5. Is the photo showing a known object? Is it a plane or a star or known planet or even a distant galaxy?

Ask questions and determine what is being shown.


Don't forget to take into account the age of those that are posting...which you can't do because you don't know their age. I tend to believe, or maybe just want to believe, that many who post completely outlandish claims about stuff like this are simply in it for their 15 second while those that are gullible enough to go for the "bait" tend to be either uneducated or young and impressionable.

There is also a lack of critical thinking being taught in public schools these days. Most schools are more concerned with what the school grounds look like, the school's reputation for academics, and being politically correct without rocking the boat. This pushes the students to be just another one of the masses without having any critical thinking skills or common sense.

I am only speaking on experience here in the US, and keep my daughter in a private Montessori school. While the private schools may be more sheltered from everyday life and the interaction with all "walks" of life, in my experience with both, private schools tend to graduate and educate more critical thinkers who challenge ideas presented by others rather than accept and fall in line.

Just my observation, but a lot of it comes down to education.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
You can sum this entire subject up with 4 words:

I WANT TO BELIEVE!


edit on 6/4/12 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
What freakin difference would it make to discover a planet anyways. What will change except data?

Nothing that's what.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I think you are quite right about education.

I happen to be in a location where education is valued. I'm not far from places where that is not the case.

For years my kids and their friends have been able to locate the planets in the sky. They can spot satellites overhead. It's a matter of wanting to learn in a culture of learning.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist
 

Actually before you go hacking on amateurs, they are a large contributor to the scientific community and often times have as much if not more experience as the so called scientists.


Now that said, there are also 1,000’s of amateurs scanning the skies in hopes of making a new discover, but the difference is they at least have an understanding of science.

What you are talking about are not amateurs but everyday people with claims of discovering Nibiruwith a cell phone, and these are not really considered by the amateur scientific community either.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist
 


nope you need a cam costing at least $500, and even after that, you need a peer reviewed paper to even be remotely considered legit to the so called experts here. good luck.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NoLoveInFear46and2
 



What freakin difference would it make to discover a planet anyways. What will change except data?

Nothing that's what.


OK. That's one point of view.

There is also fame to go along with that. There might be money. There might be promotions. There might other personal value attached with making that discovery.

For science in general there is another opportunity to test ideas about the origin of the solar system, solar system formation, gravity, planet models, etc.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage
 


I'm sorry if my post was not as clear as it should have been.

My question concerns why people think that cellphone users can trump amateurs. What is it that allows people to think that a cellphone can detect something that the incredibly dedicated amateurs missed.



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by RainbeauBleu
You can sum this entire subject up with 4 words:

I WANT TO BELIEVE!


edit on 6/4/12 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)


And it's the school holidays...



posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist
 


It was perfectly clear and no offense just wanted to point out that Amateurs contribute, and how it baffles me that claims of this nature are even given any credence at all. LOL no worries.



new topics

top topics



 
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join