It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[HOAX] I Was a Paid Internet Shill [HOAX]

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

You know, I almost expect it on the political and 9/11 forums. But when they flood the UFO and solar flare threads...... gets ya to thinking..... why.

They are not "flooding" any forum. Not even the 9/11 or political ones. Heck, I'm a believer in UFOs, but I've been called a paid disinfo agent more than once because of comments about certain cases I felt were ridiculous. All it takes is a somewhat stable viewpoint on any topic, and you will be called a disinfo agent by someone. After making some posts in the 9/11 forum, I was accused multiple times of being a paid shill. So.. no, there are not a lot of "shills" out there - there are a lot of people though, who will use that line in their "defense" when arguing against a point they can't win. It's sort of the last line of defense against a well reasoned argument. "Oh.. well.. yea.. then you're a paid disinfo agent!"

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
Wasn't this posted before?

Yes
here
AMA: I was a paid Internet troll

nice way to get 48 flags though.

link   
reply to post by fleabit

And ... a lot of shills will use the "they just call me a shill cause I disagree with them" line ...

works both ways ... still doesn't prove or disprove that you or me are or are not paid shills ...
edit on 4-4-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

link   
Someone talked about this the other day, with similar references to an 'A-list' etc; Funny that.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by Eidolon23

Originally posted by torqpoc
reply to post by ExShill

Anyway, nice prose.. don't believe it for a second. A company who employs shills would not be in a derelict building, and that was your give away.

I picture it looking exactly like one of those fly-by-night telemarketing operations, and for the same reasons: low overhead, minimal paper trail, high mobility.

It makes perfect sense to me.

Such operations have no need to hide that cheaply. They would have had at least a decent office with computers, data bases, and comfortable chairs. To be a call center requires some capital and suitable data connections. They have no need to move frequently. Why (if I must ask)? Are they doing something illegal? Who is going to smoke them out and why?

I addressed this point here, but don't mind covering it again.

The advantages of running a Shills-R-Us outfit in this manner are clear:

1. Low overhead = maximizing your take.
2. Frequent letterhead changes = a reduced chance of exposure..
3. High turn-over rate, recommendation only = an efficient, relatively secure source of labor.
4. Iffy, low-rent office = less of a paper trail, zero accountability if the need to bail suddenly arises.

All of the above also ensuring the client's privacy. Although this stuff isn't necessarily illegal, it sure is embarrassing.

edit on 4-4-2012 by Eidolon23 because:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExShill
Shills exist. They are real. They walk among you, and they pay special attention to your popular gold-bordered WATS posters. You should be aware of this. What you choose to do with this awareness is up to you.

Yours,

ExShill

April 2012

Ya, but come on dude, the benefits package is excellent...dental, vision...

(incidentally, any shills know when the next company picnic is?)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind
reply to post by fleabit

And ... a lot of shills will use the "they just call me a shill cause I disagree with them" line ...

only a shill would suggest that!
-eyes you suspiciously-
-eyes himself suspiciously-
-gets bored, leaves topic-

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ExShill

I'm not going to be as polite as some members here. I call horse #. I'm not saying shills don't exist.. I'm just saying rather bluntly that I don't believe you were one. Welcome to ATS all the same.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

You know, I almost expect it on the political and 9/11 forums. But when they flood the UFO and solar flare threads...... gets ya to thinking..... why.

They are not "flooding" any forum. Not even the 9/11 or political ones. Heck, I'm a believer in UFOs, but I've been called a paid disinfo agent more than once because of comments about certain cases I felt were ridiculous. All it takes is a somewhat stable viewpoint on any topic, and you will be called a disinfo agent by someone. After making some posts in the 9/11 forum, I was accused multiple times of being a paid shill. So.. no, there are not a lot of "shills" out there - there are a lot of people though, who will use that line in their "defense" when arguing against a point they can't win. It's sort of the last line of defense against a well reasoned argument. "Oh.. well.. yea.. then you're a paid disinfo agent!"

Try discussing stuff in a religion forum from a reasonable atheist mindset...you will find people demand your like literally a horned demon typing away behind a keyboard (demonic keyboard does sound pretty awesome though...thinking glowing red led lights under each key when you type it, etc...hmm...could be good gamer gear)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
shill definitely exist but this story is made up. Nice try though. I can see far too many holes in this for it to be true.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Lets not forget the power of paid shills playing off of each other. It's like a ping pong effect, and gives a sense of credibility. However if one or more shills work together on a forum or thread the effects are greater and the tricks that can be used are much more convincing. Bait and switch, good cop bad cop; both shills do not have to post the same agenda or talking point. Example lets talk about the pro-Israel angle, one shill can play the pro and the other can play the con, the con will willingly post weak arguments and get into a "debate" with the pro who would be more referenced and have a sounder argument, thus weaking the the con argument (and in effect, viewpoint) in the eyes of those on the fence.

The possibilities of social psychology swaying is endless and in numbers working in unison, quite powerful and convincing.

edit on 4-4-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
thanx for your honesty
have a good day!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

The funny thing is that those are the exact same tactics they accuse shills of using. Attacking the poster when they can no longer defend their point. I'd say if shills actually are present on here they would be the people posting the more out there theories. Conspiracy theorists biggest enemy have always been themselves. I'd say if the goal of the shill is to prevent the truth from getting out they would be more effective attempting to discredit the entire conspiracy movement by making the public think it's solely comprised of David Icke's and Blossom Goodchild's than by arguing point by point on a conspiracy site.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

Who says you need two operatives to run that con? One-man bands are more cost effective, and I'd imagine that's where we'd start running into our up-scale "consultant" types.

Madness! Madness, I say!
edit on 4-4-2012 by Eidolon23 because:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
ExShill
This thread you wrote reminds me of something that should be in the short story forum under fiction..I don't believe anything that you wrote holds any truth ..Then you ended the thread with if I don’t respond to this thread, don’t be angry..Well i am a bit disturbed you come in and post this and you just joined 3-4-2012 and haven't taken any time to respond to one single post ..Your a hit and run troll in my eyes and what upsets me even more is you get 63 flags and tons of stars for something you wont even try to back up or discuss ..If you were a real man you would come in and stand up and debate what you took the time to write ( no stars and flags from me) I'm just not buying your story..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
come on people this is obviously an attempt to redirect your attention elsewhere insted of real topics .disinformation is the most kind of information on the net why? because of bored people with no real knowlodge wanting attention its the opposite of secrecy.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

works both ways ... still doesn't prove or disprove that you or me are or are not paid shills ..

And I could be a lizard-type alien posting on this site, too.. can't prove or disprove it. But odds are.. I'm not.

What would the point of a paid shill be? For example, on the 9/11 board - for all the people that post there (or read there), do you think for a moment that someone's opinion (paid or otherwise), will change their mind or their stance? If there is one thing I've learned - people like being right. They have their "side" of things, and it would take a force of nature to cause them to change it. How many UFO debunkers are now believers because of what people posted? Or vice-versa? How many people honestly do a 180 and change their stance entirely?

Especially on sites like these, where typically people are -firmly- entrenched in their beliefs. The site is already rife with opposing viewpoints. Why would you have to pay to have more? Seems highly unlikely. And like I said, I am no "agent," but I've been called one.. for no less than 4 different subject matters. It's laughable, sorry.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Good story, but it is worthless if you didnt sneak out any training manuals for the rest of us!

Imagine the wealth of information we would have if you managed to get these manuals and upload for the community to see.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Reckless doubt.

That is what ATS is.

People don't believe something for no reason other than they don't have a reason to believe it. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I mean, the topic makes perfect sense to me, and whether his person story was true or not, I think he hit the nail on the head on how the disinfo "market" probably works. I see an unending amount of posts about people who have "seen this before" but if that is the case, where is it? Last I heard, ATS doesn't routinely delete old topics so provide this copy topic and let the case be settled.

But for now why degrade a post as being false when truly, almost all of you have no idea? As I say time and time again - you are all deluded by the false probabilities of your own assured correctness. What exactly is stopping this tale from being true besides your own ignorance to believe it?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Well that was a nice hit-and-run star and flag-fest for ExShill. Well played.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join