It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA CONFIRMS Monsanto ecological Disaster: GMO Corn has bred Mutant, bT-resistant Super Bugs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Bee's to help pollinate. Bats to help control pest insects. Now we got bee's and bats both having a hard time. Bee's dying out and bats dying out from white nosed syndrome. All this is probably due to their immune system being genetically altered and they can't fight off what they once could. The lesson here is don't mess with mother nature. Genetically changing something you think is doing good almost always has some unforeseen consequences. Then you get a domino effect and the whole system breaks down. I noticed one of the videos mentioning how wonderful people thought DDT was back in the older days. When I moved into a new residence I found up in the attic a old full bottle of fly spray that has a toxic amount of DDT in it. Probably one of the reasons this was up in the attic was because it is hard to dispose of it. Or someone kept it not knowing how bad it is, but only notice how effective it is on killing things. This stuff is so toxic that once you spray a bug and kill it, if a bird comes along and eats that caterpillar it will kill the bird as well, and if a cat comes along and eats that bird it will kill the cat too. DDT is lethal all the way up the chain. I had to call around to find a place that would take this stuff and dispose of it properly.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Monsanto reports earnings soon, wanna bet they try and hush this up???

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

I do not like or trust Monsanto. Monsanto is nothing but a monster. Since we (my family and I) realized how evil monsanto and the pharmaceutical companies are, I have lost 140 pounds, my mother lost 100 pounds. My wife did not start losing weight until we got pregnant 7 months ago and now she has lost 40 pounds. Even though my wife did not lose weight right away like my mother and I did, she stopped getting sick. She stayed sick with something all of the time. I have been sick 3 times in the last 6 years. All thanks and praise be to God for that. The problem is monsanto's evil GMO's and big pharma. I even have a blog that talks about the evils of big pharma and how the bible talks about in the end times people will not repent of the sins of pharmakeia. Pharmakeia is the term used in the greek bible for people who have addictions to pharmaceuticals and other drugs. The english bible translates Pharmakeia as sorcery. That is the old english word and it has stuck in the newer translations. The words in the bible referring to practicers of the occult is witchcraft and magic. GMO's are not natural. These warped blasphemous scientist needs to leave our food supply how God made it. If you want to check out the blog about pharmakeia, and monstano does fall under pharmakeia, you may do so from the following link.

Blog about Pharmakeia in the Bible

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
This one simple story prooves Darwins theory of evolution perfectly.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
!! Very interesting. And terrifying at the same time. Ty for posting

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Mutants which are resistant to insect or weed occur all the time, given the nature of random mutation this is a statistical given. More effective control measures against a particular pest only increase the selective pressures that select for this particular mutation within the population. This is the same principle behind the rising antibiotic resistance, once a rare trait but now a great medical concern.

Although you can blame Bt corn for increasing the selective pressures,( for which there are some measures in use to mitigate as much as possible these potential and foreseen consequences) resistance to Bt has developed decades before in Hawaii and Japan it's heavy use in fields. Thus, while organic food advocates might place the blame on the crop, the same adaptations by pests to survive invariably kills the majority of the unadapted population has been occurred in the past to their own pest control methods and will invariably occur multiple times again in the future.

This is the reason why farmers rotate pesticides. Because they've all known about it for decades, it's happened repeatedly throughout history. It is not in any way a unique phenomenon related to biotechnology.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Ahhh! You beat me to it. My thoughts exactly. Take away their food supplies and They'll find a way to eat what's there. And who says evolusion doesn't exist?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
As long as Monsanto is making money they will continue to tamper with our food and ignore the risks. GMO seeds aren't the only option for local growers. I know not everyone can grow their own food, but if you can you do have options.
Some sources for heirloom, non-gmo and organic seed are:
Baker Creek Seed
Fedco Seed Coop
SeedSavers Exchange

Grow local, buy local, know your food source whenever possible.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Oh that's okay, because they will just breed new worms and grubs to die properly. Just like they are planning to give The Final Solution to the honeybees, replacing them with new other-bees, that look just like them but don't die from the other-corns. Much more efficient... looking.

Had this been done with humans, it would have been a genocide or another holocaust. Perfect white kernel corn with blonde cornsilk and blue flowers, the superior corn to all that inferior corn with the yellow flowers or the white cornsilk. It would have been an outrage if we didn't already kill these things to eat them.

Hoping Iowa finds a way to farm the worms, dry them, maybe roast them with some salt, and export them to countries that eat them, because this worm problem won't go away easily.

Maybe they can breed some vicious worm-eating birds, that after they eat the resistant bugs, they leave biohazardous waste all over the fields. Or some worm-eating wasps, that eat worms, pollinate flowers without dying, and sting-kill any farmer that tries to grow non-GMO crops, considering "organic" to be an enemy.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Short of purchasing heirloom seeds and growing your own foods, signing every anti-Monsanto thing I see, it doesn't seem as if we can stop it. I sorely wish I knew how. It's a very oppressive situation we are speeding into.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelligence101
It's getting to the point where I really wanna start growing my own food but hell I don't even trust seeds anymore.

Look for Heirloom Seeds on the internet. Many are guaranteed non GMO. They come from generations of plants that have been grown naturally.

www.heirloomseeds.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I guess you never read there Pledge ?

Our PledgeSource

The Monsanto Pledge is our commitment to how we do business. It is a declaration that compels us to listen more, to consider our actions and their impact broadly, and to lead responsibly. It helps us to convert our values into actions, and to make clear who we are and what we champion.

Integrity
Integrity is the foundation for all that we do. Integrity includes honesty, decency, consistency, and courage. Building on those values, we are committed to:

Dialogue
We will listen carefully to diverse points of view and engage in thoughtful dialogue. We will broaden our understanding of issues in order to better address the needs and concerns of society and each other.

Transparency
We will ensure that information is available, accessible, and understandable.

Sharing
We will share knowledge and technology to advance scientific understanding, to improve agriculture and the environment, to improve crops, and to help farmers in developing countries.

Benefits
We will use sound and innovative science and thoughtful and effective stewardship to deliver high-quality products that are beneficial to our customers and to the environment.

Respect
We will respect the religious, cultural, and ethical concerns of people throughout the world. The safety of our employees, the communities where we operate, our customers, consumers, and the environment will be our highest priority.

Act as Owners to Achieve Results
We will create clarity of direction, roles, and accountability; build strong relationships with our customers and external partners; make wise decisions; steward our company resources; and take responsibility for achieving agreed-upon results.

Create a Great Place to Work
We will ensure diversity of people and thought; foster innovation, creativity and learning; practice inclusive teamwork; and reward and recognize our people.

I emailed them one year to ask about gmo crops they are lying pieces of human feces.
edit on 053030p://000000pMonday by seridium because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I hate to defend Monsanto(I guess I'm not defending them, rather clarifying something), because I don't like them at all, but you say:

because Monsanto's bT GMO corn has passed on a mutation for resistance to bT toxin to them

That's not how this happened, nor what the article says.
the corn did kill off the non-mutated pests, so it did work as intended. However, the corn didn't CAUSE the mutation. The mutation happened naturally, so when the other pests died, they started to thrive. It's called artificial selection. This is something that would've happened eventually anyways.
To sum it up, the corn didn't cause the mutation, it just allowed the mutation to prosper, since it wiped out the non-resistant pests.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
This should be addressed asap
No doubt under the rug it goes because not enough of us are in the know so to speak.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This is what happens when you give to big to fail companies the benefit of the doubt, eat up people, too late to fight now

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Monsanto must be destroyed and wiped off the face of the earth in the name of all that is good and just.. burn the headquarters to the ground

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It's called Mother Nature for a reason. The keyword here is Mother. And you can't out-do Momma; it just doesn't happen.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I don't know if Monsanto is entirely to blame for this. Don't get me wrong, they are evil incarnate, but living things naturally develop mutant genes resistant to the banes which plague them. It's inevitable, really, that eventually these bugs would develop some resistance to our poisons.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
I hate to defend Monsanto(I guess I'm not defending them, rather clarifying something), because I don't like them at all, but you say:

because Monsanto's bT GMO corn has passed on a mutation for resistance to bT toxin to them

That's not how this happened, nor what the article says.
the corn did kill off the non-mutated pests, so it did work as intended. However, the corn didn't CAUSE the mutation. The mutation happened naturally,

Duh, mutations happen naturally but they are usually bred out , diluted out by the rest of the non mutant population.

The Monsanto BT Corn *BRED* field, upon field, of SUPERBUGS all resistant to Bt toxin, by unnaturally removing from the food chain, all that are non-mutant and thus naturally vulnerable to the Bt naturally present in soil. It provided a plentiful food source that directly selected for BT resistance, thus passing on, producing, yielding said mutation.

BT has existed naturally in soil for millions of years and only when Monsanto BT corn is introduced, are the mutant BT-resistant superbugs ARTIFICIALLY SELECTED for - by MONSANTO. The EPA memo makes it clear they NEGLIGENTLY ENABLED this superbug infestation by irresponsibly lacking a comprehensive, responsible pest-control plan, but instead presenting its BT corn as the pest-resistant holy grail that would not fail - but it did.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Cyt1Aa from Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. israelensis Is Toxic to the Diamondback Moth, Plutella xylostella, and Synergizes the Activity of Cry1Ac towards a Resistant Strain

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Just like we are over using antibiotics. We are creating super bugs that will wipe US out. Monsanto is playing God and it will end up blowing up in all our faces.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join