It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are running out of water.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Running out of water, oil, fresh air, food, oh my.. This is all NWO rhetoric for their eugenics / depopulation agenda.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Finally, a third informative quantity is the average residence time that a water molecule spends in a given reservoir. Water that evaporates into the atmosphere quickly falls back out as precipitation; the average atmospheric residence time is just nine days. By contrast, once water reaches the ocean, it can stay there for a very long time; the average residence time for water in the oceans is more than 3,000 years!

Yep it evaporates from the ocean -- at a much slower rate than transpiration from plants.

Rates of evaporation in the global water cycle

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
Hi.

Sit down and have a nice cold glass of water.....while you still can.

In the future there will be wars for water much like the wars for oil of today.

FACT: Canada has 0.5% of the earth's population but 25% of all the fresh water on the planet ! (34 million people compared to 6.841 billion worldwide)

Crazy thing is that the US sits adjacent to that massive reservoir of fresh water and will protect it "tooth and nail" in order to water golf courses in Palm Springs, Scottsdale and other playgrounds of the rich.

Don't believe it? Well, we'll just have to wait and see !

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Funny how few people are worried about this when it isn't easy to desalinate water and we are not good at it at all. Only 2% of the planets water is drinkable so doesn't matter the sea levels and when you add that to the exponential rate the population is increasing it presents an alarming dilemma folks should take seriously. No one wants to face a problem until it is already a crisis but I agree with the OP. This is another one of those "do we? or don't we?" decisions where it will be a huge mistake to wait.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Yes, I said humidifier, I meant dehumidifier.
I know you have to put water in to a humidifier, the dehumidifier takes water out of the air.
I'm sure any one that gives a crap, knew what I meant, Hu.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I think we need to somethig about this even if it dont affet us now what hapens when its to late a pepole start killing for a cup of water. And all the farm lands dry up then will have mass famin

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Zrob459

Humanure The most wasteful piece of equipment ever devised -- the flush toilet.

The secret to sustainable farming without wasting water is composting.

I visited the most traditional Berber village in Morocco and for thousands of years they transformed the desert into fertile farmland for vegetables and wheat -- how? Humanure.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
we could build dehydration factories to suck the water out of bad people.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
There will always be water as long as there are clouds that drop rain.

I don't think there is a water shortage. The ratio of livestock raised for meat vs humans, we may have too many cows, pigs, and chickens per person. Animals drink lots of water. Less water consumed by them, more for humans.

It may be that water is expensive to process for larger cities, that it costs more for water reclamation and recycling for the urban sprawls that have grown, and water companies are focused on pay raises and profits, so they would try to create scarcity, say, with some panic posts on conspiracy websites. So it would be a money shortage or an technology shortage, not a water shortage. Or you are simply living in a dry climate, like a desert, or using water for trivial things.

What, besides over consumption of delicious meaty animals, is my pet peeve with the way people take water for granted? Lawns. Sprinkler systems designed to water grass to be 3 inches off the ground, and then it is trimmed with a gas-powered lawnmower, every week. Cropless horticulture. Maybe we have too many boring front lawns. But count the green lawns in a city. There is water for the grass, there will be water for you in an emergency.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
The World is not running out of Water. The mechanism by which we have used water is no longer viable. Its that simple. Most of us, our Earth, and every living thing is comprised of H20. We are not running out of water.

The problem is people like you saying we are running out of water. Creating scarcity. Just like "the Earth is running out of food". That is the most hilarious thing I have ever heard. There is plenty of food, just not access to it. Same with water. There is water in the oceans that can be made via desalinization. There is ambient water in the atmosphere that can be dehumidified.

There is enough water in both mechanisms to last a very long time. Long enough to study the problem further and find more efficient methods.

It has long been known that grazing livestock in and around a spring can either cut off the spring or make it flow again my the movement of the rock sediments caused by the livestock.

Same is true for all such water tables. Movement in the rock will reroute water tables, etc.

The fracking and oil drilling that has been taking place world wide now for many years could possibly be responsible for water table movement and elevation changes in the table and aquifers.

Are there still Oceans?

If there are in fact still Oceans, than the water tables are still active.

The cycle between the oceans and rains is vital to this processes.

It rains, goes back int the ground and water table, only to be released back into the atmosphere again. Moisture in the jet streams of the Earth produce rain. This moisture comes primarily from the Oceans that are in the jet streams. It is 4 inches above average rainfall where I live this year.

The underground water tables, lakes, and rivers that help comprise the aquifers and water tables have been diverted to other places. More than likely deeper.

How?

Why?

As sediment layer is broken via a spear like object, the water is obviously going to follow gravity eventually.

What does fracking do to pre existing water tables?

Drills holes through them. Oil drilling the same. What happens to a bucket of water that has a hole in it over time?

The water has gone deeper into the Earth.

The why?

This is an end result of apathetic complacence on a system by which brought comfort and false stability, at a price that future generations would have to ultimately pay.

That generation is us. Earth will fix it self, but in Earth time, which is long after we here right now are dead and gone.

That is one of the things Humans have not quite figured out as of yet. You can do whatever you want as a Society on this planet. That does not mean however that you actions wont wipe you out entirely....

Naught. Naught. That Ford Mustang was cool, but oh is it going to cost you in the long run, that time when Karma comes around on a global scale and Earth wipes its nose of us Humans.

Even now, there are whispers under breath "no, the Human species will always be around".

Tisk Tisk. That is no way to perceive a micro organism on the back of a fleck of dirt spinning around in space.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
There is ridiculous amounts of water on earth, all of which will be here for the entire lifetime of the planet. Desalination is a brilliant technology when the water cycle doesn't work as it should. Wars are unlikely ever to be fought over water, it is a renewable resource. It's equivalent to fighting for wind or sunny weather.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

OP is entirely right. to the first commenter, BRO seawater is not freshwater. It costs more to convert seawater to drinking water than it does to pipe freshwater 300 miles. So yes, rich people will always have water, but the prices will skyrocket in the next 20 years, and meanwhile everyone not living in USA Canada or Europe will be way worse off then they were. there will be water wars, big ones. if you don't think this is a real thing, i'm taking a class specifically about this at a university

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
No shortage of water, there's oceans all over this planet, you just need desalinization plants to remove the brine. More lies from the illuminati to promote their world population cull down to 500 million per Georgia Guidestones.

was thinking the same thing about the Georgia guide stones

People tend to forget that scientist have found underneath the Continent of Asia there's and Underground Ocean tho it like 400 miles down as they say....

Huge Underground "Ocean" Found Beneath Asia
news.nationalgeographic.com...

According to national Geographic

When the planet was young, steam came from the deep interior to the surface as volcanic gas and eventually produced today's oceans. But as Earth's interior ages and cools, it becomes easier for water to return below the surface.

But.... But.... OMFG we may Loose our Water After ALL
:
:

So, rather than degassing, now [Earth] may be losing water into the mantle," Sleep said. This gradual suction of water back below the surface may be a good thing for Earth's geological stability, he notes. Underground water acts as a kind of lubricant that allows plates in Earth's crust to keep shifting at their present rate, Sleep explains. This helps keep the thickness and elevation of the continents relatively stable.

Well According to National Geographic!! on page 2

Water every where but not a drop to drink except for Antarctica, North Arctic Pole regions

Move North to the Most Tolerable Location or Move to Antarctica or go Underground

Problem is that most Population is Near the Equator China , India

A map depicts large areas of wet underground rock (shown in red) as detected by seismic waves. Scientists studying these waves discovered a giant "ocean" of water under east Asia that contains about as much water as the Arctic Ocean.

well if Humans can Tap into 400 miles of Rock to get the Water Out ....
ahh then again we may have another BP incident

edit on 30-3-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

reply to post by Wolfenz

well if Humans can Tap into 400 miles of Rock to get the Water Out .... ahh then again we may have another BP incident

Doesn't look promising

hypertextbook.com...

"The drilling of the main borehole began in 1970, and a final depth of 12,262 meters was reached in 1994"

"The deepest research borehole ever drilled was in Russia, on the Kola peninsula. Over a period of more than a decade a huge purpose-built rig drilled to over 12 kilometers to investigate the structure of the Continental Crust."

"On Russia's Kola Peninsula, near the Norwegian border at about the same latitude as Prudhoe Bay, the Soviets have been drilling a well since 1970. It is now over 40,000 feet deep, making it the deepest hole on earth (the previous record holder was the Bertha Rogers well in Oklahoma -- a gas well stopped at 32,000 feet when it struck molten sulfur).

12262 meters is equal to 7.61925 miles.

Atrazine is huge problem now in the Worlds water supply

edit on 30-3-2012 by SteelToe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
Both sides of this argument are correct in my opinion.

Firstly, water is clearly more vital than Oil. That goes without saying. I can't believe this even needs to be stated - it's the basic building block of all existence on this planet FFS!

Secondly, we are "running out of water" in the fact that there is only a finite amount of fresh water passing through the natural system of any region.

The fresh water falls as rain, that rain is filtered through the natural landscape to the rivers and streams where it is used by the population. We are a growing population in every region, and as the numbers grow the use of that water becomes more and more stretched.

If we assume that there is an average rainfall in a specific area over five years, and that rainfall then declines because of environmental factors and changes in a weather system, while the population continues to grow and the demands on the stretched ecological system increase, it is obvious that there will be a water shortage.

We are seeing this in the UK this year, with a drought already starting. Our population has been increasing and the supply has stayed the same for decades. There have been restrictions on water use in my city every single summer since at least 1985. Nothing has been done to rectify this and the population is increasing every year. Back then my city was barely a decade old, and since then it has doubled.

The drought our government was suggesting would affect about three counties is spreading and is now expected to affect almost all of England. This is expected to be the worst drought in the UK in recorded history, worse than the one in 1977 (I believe) where we had a drought through autumn and an immensely hot summer, leading to water having to be trucked into communities.

Desalinization plants help, but we do not nearly have enough of them with a big enough capacity to serve entire cities. You also have to rely on transportation and the costs of that to move water to where it is needed.

You have to pay right now to get the water from a plant a couple of miles away into your home, imagine how much you'll have to pay when that water has to be desalinated at a plant on the coast, then pumped into tankers, then driven hundreds or even thousands of miles to your city, to be dumped into the reservoir or storage and then funneled to you. The cost of distribution in the oil industry is met by the costs and profits from the sale of fuel, so are you ready to see the same charges for water?

Governments will be forced to meet the massive costs of the infrastructure, or (more likely) it'll be opened up to private investors. Privatization of water with such a demand and that kind of infrastructure will quickly mean that you will be paying more for your water than you currently are for fuel. This is inevitable.

I think people are underestimating the point of this thread, and underestimating the threat of water shortage.

Excellent post. I gave you a star.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Originally posted by Biliverdin

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

We can live off fruit juice.... tastes much nicer and is more healthy!!

We can also live off coconut milk!!

If you have a garden, grow some fruit!

Most fruit has a high percentage of water...and therefore needs water to produce juice. A little common sense.

Very true.... but.... how about digging a hole, making a pond, fill it with water (which will last a good while), even cover it with plastic so it won't evaporate too fast, then plant your trees, bushes into the pond!!

From detached: Plants need water. Where are you planning to get the water to feed the inefficient plants while waiting for (presumably seasonal) fruit to grow?

You may as well cut out the waste and just drink the water.

You can fill up from an Ocean or Sea and take it back to fill the pond.... you don't drinking water for a pond!!

You've got to be joking. I thought your post about drinking juice was a joke. Then you post that you can use salty sea water to fill a pond used to water plants?

You're joking right? Salt water will kill plants that are not ocean plants (seaweed).

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3kr0m4nc3r
While I myself don't see the earth running out of water anytime soon if it ever did I have one word "stillsuit". I think those would be really cool to have.

The Dune Trilogy? I haven't read that in ages.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

Funny

en.wikipedia.org...
Analysis
In his essay "Stillsuit" in The Science of Dune, John C. Smith suggests that "Stillsuits designed using strict literal interpretations from the Dune books probably would not work and most likely would cook the wearer like a Crock-Pot ...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mountaingirl1111
Here's an article from last year, from TIme Magazine, about how scientists in an Abu Dhabi desert created rainstorms on 52 separate occasions with the use of giant ionizers:

newsfeed.time.com...

I wonder what has happened since and if other countries could try this as well? However, like the article mentions, I wonder what the long term effects will be.

Very interesting.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

That reminds me of the movie Canadian Bacon ,John Candy Alan Alda. where they have a fake war with Canada, then it turns into a real war.

Canadian Bacon

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join