It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are running out of water.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by cavalryscout

One more reason why we should be investing in getting off this planet and finding new worlds to colonize. Yet I hear people all the time talking about how NASA and space travel in general are a waste of funding. This planet doesn't have unlimited resources and there's around 7 billion people on it, that's an increase of around six billion just in the last hundred years or so.

We need to get off this planet or things are gonna get really bad. Maybe Newt Gingrich's moon colony wasn't such a bad idea, I mean we did find water on the moon

Have you ever read "Casebook for Alternative 3" by Jim Keith? Same scenario -- the story goes like this:

The world's Elite have known since after WWII that our planet is doomed with a population that will grow out of control and with dwindling resources. Their solution was to create a secret space program with NASA as a cover.

So they built a huge underground colony on Mars, where the Elites will escape to when necessary.

Meantime most of humanity will be left on Earth to die of starvation, plagues, and in wars over what's left.

Not exactly a cheerful bedtime story. Some actually believe this conspiracy is real.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

I do have to agree though: if major population centers in the desert are having the most problem, then the answer is simple: don't build there! hehehehe.

I could not agree more. When the baby-boomers really start coming into their golden years, I visualize the sprawling geriatric ghettoes in the waste- soviet-bloc style concrete retirement homes stretching on for miles where Phoenix presently exists. Or Beijing, right now, still being frantically constructed as the desert swallows it whole. And I wonder, "Why the hell did anyone think that was a good idea?"

I know, I know, a over simplified answer, but it runs along the same lines as so many people being shocked when they build in hurricane prone areas, and one comes along to wipe them out. Or building along major fault lines......or on the sides or near a volcano.......

But there's a little more of a trade-off here, due to the fact that regions prone to volcanic activity or flooding are also usually extremely fertile and otherwise clement.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Eidolon23 because: .

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Originally posted by Furbs
reply to post by Blaine91555

You must not be aware that there is more to worry about when doing laundry than water shortage.

Power is a much bigger concern than water when it comes to commercial laundry.

So your an extremist and I'm not. I'm not going to run around in dirty clothes.

That sign in the Hotels is a scam and nothing more. It's all about money and never was about the environment.

Not an extremist, just someone that is able to put his brain to use.

Run around in whatever you want, we will all have dirty clothes soon enough.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
To begin I'm sorry if I offended anybody who posted a similar thread.

Some say we can refine/filter polluted water. Sure we "can" do it but we as a society we value oil much more than water. So how much is really being done today to purify polluted water compared to refining oil?

We'll just wait until there's a crisis it is our nature.

edit on 28-3-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

slingshot invention...

btw thanks OP for starting a fearmongering thread we definitely need more of those. keep up the good work...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
I linked this in my last post here, but can anyone verify it:
www.innovationnewsdaily.com ...

Thanks. It has me wondering.

If this really works, it would be great. I suspect there are all kinds of energy technologies already in existence that have been suppressed for decades.

TPTB are going to squeeze every last drop of profit out of their oil industry, before those alternative energy technologies are released to the public. And the alternatives will not be free -- it will be set up as another moneymaker for them.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mojo2012

This is not fear mongering. We ARE running out of water; what we have left is used by industry (some might say wasted); and "water wars" already are breaking out here and there around the world.

FYI - The Ogallala/Great Plains Aquifer was tapped to irrigate the vaunted US Bread Basket; it's now almost sucked dry but people like T. Boone Pickens are 'harvesting' what's left and selling it for profit.

...What do you think will happen to the US food supply when there's no water to irrigate the crops or give the animals? And that's just the beginning.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

US farmers fear the return of the Dust Bowl For years the Ogallala Aquifer, the world’s largest underground body of fresh water, has irrigated thousands of square miles of American farmland. Now it is running dry

The plan? Ninety-five per cent of Ogallala water is now used for agriculture, but Pickens plans to pipe it 250 miles to Dallas, expected to triple in size in 30 years, with a demand for water far exceeding supply. Pickens is making the hottest of climate-change bets: that water's value will rocket as it runs dry. One man's thirst is another man's fortune. Irrigation farming would simply follow gold mining, open-range ranching and oil drilling in the traditional cycle of boom and bust. 'There are people who will buy the water when they need it. And the people who have the water want to sell it,' Pickens has said. 'That's the blood, guts, and feathers of the thing.' 'Obviously it would be a disaster for the Panhandle,' Steve Walthour, manager of the North Plains Groundwater Conservation District, says. 'But if there are no limits, he can take all he wants. That's the law of capture.'

edit on 30-3-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
How can we run out of fresh water when it's still raining all over???

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk
How can we run out of fresh water when it's still raining all over???

Because it isn't raining all over. Some places get no rain at all, some get far too much. And further, some soils are intolerant to water retention. Vegetation, particularly trees, is vital to attracting rain, inland. Trees are also vital in maintaining mycorrihizal systems that help carry nutrients and water through the soil. In large areas of open farmland, these networks have been completely destroyed, this is what causes 'dust bowl'. The soil is effectively dead. Dead soil cannot retain water or nutrients.

This is reversable.
edit on 31-3-2012 by Biliverdin because: so, me, far...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
For those that keep referring to the Great Lakes, please see this graph on Lake Superior:

I understand that it's far from dry, but it still demonstrates that it's far from an endless supply. Interesting how the lack of ice results in lower water levels because of evaporation, etc... (The other information in this blog post from Weather Underground is interesting as well...)

Thanks for the good discussion everyone- no doubt everyone has strong opinions...

VB
edit on 3/31/2012 by voyagerboy because: added a sentence

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I don't know why people make such a big issue of this. Running out of clean water is just another control mechanism, to keep the people docile and to create another reason to war with others.

Water filtration, even of ocean and sea water, is extremely easy and affordable on a large scale, in fact they should be implementing this now rather than letting a billion or so people have ridiculous water standards. Done properly, you wouldn't need to add all these chemicals to clean the water either, you could simply build a lot more desalinisation plants and have them hooked up to renewable energy sources, however, until we have Governments that are not corrupt, and take on-board free energy, we will likely not see this happen.

Of course, you could use socks. Pour water through a sock over and over until the liquid is clear and/or tastes relatively safe, then you can drink the water safely (however this is better done on lake water, stream water and mountain streams).
edit on 31/3/12 by domasio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
What about the ocean?

Desalinized water is potable and easy to refine. That being said, it's extremely lazy to say we are running out of water. There's also a nigh endless supply of underground wells that have yet to be tapped.... Soooo, ya. Not quite out of water yet.

lol tell it to qadaffi and the lybians

as for the us
most of those wells are being fracked with at the mo
it is already illegal in some states to catch and store rainwater

sounds like water is going to be the new oil to me

desalinization isn't going anywhere
because it would cut into the water-mongers profits

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

This is not fear mongering. We ARE running out of water; what we have left is used by industry (some might say wasted); and "water wars" already are breaking out here and there around the world.

FYI - The Ogallala/Great Plains Aquifer was tapped to irrigate the vaunted US Bread Basket; it's now almost sucked dry but people like T. Boone Pickens are 'harvesting' what's left and selling it for profit.

...What do you think will happen to the US food supply when there's no water to irrigate the crops or give the animals? And that's just the beginning.

What do you think will happen when we start using ocean water to get fresh water?

Fast forward to 25:18 and listen........ This is literally the last time i'm going to post this, fearmongers.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

We pour millions of gallons underground all the time fracking

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Aquaponics is the solution.

Solves the whole problem.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
There is no REAL shortages. Only created ones to aid in the development of NWO plans such as Agenda 21.
Everyone needs to step back and look the big picture! It's as old as recorded history, and as real as it gets!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo2012

Originally posted by soficrow

What do you think will happen when we start using ocean water to get fresh water?

Did you not read my post? Or are you suggesting the technology and infrastructure exist to irrigate the US Bread Basket and ensure America's food supply?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PisstoffAmerican

There is no REAL shortages. Only created ones to aid in the development of NWO plans such as Agenda 21.

You know that "water cycle" you learned about in Grade School science class? Turns out they were wrong - water does NOT cycle infinitely. The cycle has been buggered, much of our fresh water has been 'disappeared.' Kinda like all those dissenters in Central and South America and elsewhere around the world.

Funny how that stuff just happens.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
elephants are natural dowsing rods they find it .underground resources are mainly still untaped

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Everyone knows when their missus watches a soppy movie, they turn on the water works etc why don't us fellows just catch every tear in a cup, combine that by 6 and a half or so billion other tears and we could supply fresh water to a small city lol

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join