It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality Is An illusion Taking Place Inside Our Brains And Nowhere Else

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Form is emptiness and emptiness is form. - Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JBD1979

actually its a shared reality that we can manipulate through common thought..prayer, meditation etc. so that we can as a community... better the shared reality if enough people agreed and mediated in the same vector. i.e. world peace, prosperity versus violence, suppression of humanity and human rights.. the contrast can be quite stark. This belief is practiced in Nepal and the majority of practicing Buddahist. It can also take place on a personal level.. once you experience it for yourself .. you realize it can be a communal effort, I think ..therefore I Am means what you Expressed ..in word, thought or deed impacts your reality and the reality of others around you.. So I did type this.. you may read it and you may be effected in a way the will alter your own reality based on your action or inaction.... do nothing ..continue unchanged.. read and be effected and attempt a change and change will happen.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by badconduct
reply to post by blocula

Nothing exists outside of our minds.

Our minds are a part of reality. How you comprehend the Universe is exactly what it is.

If they send a probe to Mars and find sand, than it doesn't really matter how your "mind comprehends Mars". Mars has been around a lot longer than you, and it doesn't really care what you think. It's a billion years old, and him and Mercury are laughing at the Earth because it grew some kind of disgusting fungus a few million years ago.

Once the Earth finds a cure for us, the whole Universe is going to follow the Sun to whatever destination it had in mind. They are probably on vacation right now, and it takes a few billion years to reach their destination. But that's no time for a planet.
edit on 25-3-2012 by badconduct because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2012 by badconduct because: (no reason given)

Interesting. Yet, my explorations into this REALM of thought has led me to the conclusion that we do, indeed, exist. Things --everything-- outside our minds exist. However, our minds can change, manipulate, determine and SCULPT the *very real* reality surrounding us. Now, the definition of "reality" depends on who is defining it. I suggest that this world, this "reality" is indeed REAL; yet I also suggest that our thoughts can change that very REAL reality.

Believing that nothing exists outside our minds is a kind of contradicting duality. Here's why: if nothing outside your mind is real, then is your MIND ITSELF "real?" How can your MIND be real if everything else is unreal? Basically, this is called SOLIPSISM. Solipsism is the belife that nothing exists outside of **you.** In other words, when you leave a room filled with 20 friends, those 20 friends CEASE TO EXIST as long as you don't see/hear/feel/smell/taste them. Solipsism basically states that nothing exists unless YOU are there to witness it. Unfortunately, solipsism is a common state among cold-blooded serial killers and unfeeling people --because they can't understand that a world exists beyond their personal perception. It's a POTENTIALLY dangerous mindset.

edit on 26-3-2012 by GhostLancer because: TYPO

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Anyone who believes this garbage
e needs mental help. How can an illusion create reality. That's what you're saying that your brain is not there therefore how can you think or do anything if its all an illusion. Apparently you've never been to a e.r.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Everything you say may well indeed be true. But is there no wonder at all in that? Forgive me if I misjudge your tone, but this seems to be the apathetic approach.
I find it amazing that we are here to experience where there may be nothing here to experience...and yet here we think we are.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Jeez OP.... Enough with this matrix bologna. Philosophy outlived its usefulness with the development of science as far as i'm concerned. Whoever believes this stuff has way to much time to sit around and think about it with their "imaginary" brains. You obviously don't have any real world issues to concern yourself with. Sorry but I am real, you are real, everyone and everything that exists is real, my bills are real, genocide is real, economic collapse is real. They are as real as real will ever be. My car isn't going to phase through a brick wall if I hit it going 100 mph whether I believe it will or not. The car and myself will unfortunately not survive. Do you know what happened to the man who thought he could flap his wings and fly? He flew alright, toward the ground. From my personal experience all this new age mumbo jumbo comes from people who are unable to grasp actual scientific method and concepts.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by CaLyps0

not sure who your post is directed to but I run a medical clinic and work with MD's (graduates of top medical schools in the US) who incorporate these concepts into "Total Care" discipline. It is accepted medical practice (meditation and its health benefits) and post graduate training is recognized by the AMA. What amazes me are people who totally discount somones claims about a topic without even a serious look into the things we claim can be real in anyone's life. Hence the state of the world.. so many trying to help ..so many standing in the way.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The biggest question imo is how quantum reality intertwines with our brain functions! I have to go with the holographic universe idea that the outer 2d surface is the holographic plate and the 3d inside is the hologram. I saw the other day on utube a good doc about this.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The only way and the only reason that we are able to perceive of anything at all,is through our five senses and those senses are directly connected to our brains.They are severely limited perceptions sending meaningless signals into our brains that then interpret and arrange those incoming signals into what our brains are telling us to think reality really is.Which is whatever our brains are deciding at the moment is most comfortable and acceptable for themselves,but thats not what reality really is...
reply to post by blocula

I had sex with my wife. She got pregnant and gave birth 9 months later. I have a 3 year old child running around my house that wasn't there 3 years ago.
Tell me this is an illusory construct of my brain.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
And if reality is such an illusion as interpreted by your brain and 5 senses, how can you be so certain of this conclusion your brain has enabled you to come to?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Holy crap. If any more mental masturbation is posted to this thread we're gonna have to hide it from children.

As for reality, it's there, and you perceive it however your physical form requires you to perceive it in order to survive long enough to reproduce (those of you not living in Mum's basement, anyway).

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
I don't believe that all of our lives are occurring inside of our minds
Our minds exist because of our brains and without our brains "interpreting" the incoming signals from our five senses "into comfortabe and compatible images" nothing would exist for us and those comfortable and compatible images that our brains are arranging and creating for us to perceive,is not what reality really looks like,sounds like,feels like,tastes like or smells like...All is illusion...
edit on 26-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Dude, just because you hate your life doesn't mean that everyone else does. Grow up, child.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Our minds interpret what is important to our experience/life/survival. All is not illusion. The illusion is thinking all that we sense is all that there is to sense. What we sense is very real, but also only a small fraction of all that is around us. The only way to interpret what we are not built to sense is to translate it into vibrations that we can sense, such as a radio translating radio waves into sound waves.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jlm912

We are unable to see anything the way it really looks,we are unable to hear anything the way it really sounds and we dont really touch anything at all.We are living within an imaginary world fabricated inside our brains...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by squints2010

I love lamp.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmertSpionam1
reply to post by squints2010

I love lamp.
I dont love posts that waste band width dealing with immature,trivial and pointless mutterings...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This discussion needs some enlightenment. So, I'm going to relate to you all parable that is famous where I come from.

Once, there were two men. Their names are unimportant, but if you're the kind of person who likes to dwell on meaningless details, let's call them Victor and Pete.

Now, one day, Victor and Pete walk into a bar. Victor orders a straight whiskey, and Pete orders a Cosmo. Victor, muffling a scoff, says "Cosmos are for girls, you know." Pete doesn't mind his friend's offensive comment. See, he knows something Victor doesn't know. But just for fun, Pete decides to play along.

"What do you mean it's for girls?" He asks, feigning surprise.

"I mean it's for sissies. Real men drink whiskey, or if they're feeling particularly sensitive, gin. They don't drink mixed drinks, unless all the ingredients are liquor. And they especially don't drink Cosmos," Victor explains. Apparently, he really thinks he's got this all figured out.

Pete sits quietly for a moment, pretending to think. Then, as the bartender gives them their drinks, he looks at Victor and asks, "What if I told you I could prove to you, that Cosmos are not for girls, because there is in fact no such thing as girls?"

Victor chokes on his whiskey. "If you told me that, I'd say you've had too many Cosmos! HA HA HA!" he says. "But go on, if you think you can prove it, I'm all ears."

So Pete does. "Well, to skip to the interesting part, all matter is composed of 99.9% empty space. And the particles that fill this void are themselves, at the subatomic level, merely teeny tiny ribbons of energy, coiled up like mattress springs, attracting and repelling one another as their polarity dictates. But this energy itself isn't really there. Every time scientists zoom in on it, it dissipates, leaving only the afterimage of what we thought was there, filled by yet more empty space. The 'real world' as you and I know it is nothing but a projection of this created by chemical processes in our brains. So you see, nothing really 'exists' at all, and therefore females do not exist. And, as a direct result of that, Cosmos are for whoever the hell wants to drink them."

Victor ponders this for a moment, then his face lights up. "You know Pete, your make a compelling argument. But I have a sure way to refute it."

Pete, who had always assumed Victor was an idiot, asked, "Oh? And what do you, a construction worker with whiskey breath, have that can refute generations of scientists' work?"

Victor sets down his whiskey, hops down from his barstool, bends over and picks up the barstool, and smashes Pete in the head with it. Pete falls down to the floor, then looks up, shocked and disgusted.

"That was about 15 pounds of 99.9% pure empty space, Pete," says Victor, "but you may be right about the Cosmo."

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Who or what has a mind?

Are we saying humans are creating reality?

We have too much evidence that life existed way before our species came to be.

I think you guys are failing to see that multiple dimensions of reality coexist.

On one level, there are strings...so what?

On another there are atoms...so what?

Another sees tissues, organs, and plants, animals, start clusters, and on and on.

None of these are illusions. It's all coexisting simultaneously.

Just because we can misperceive, doesn't mean reality doesn't exist. It means we can't directly observe it. We indirectly sense it, and do our best from that point on. Doesn't mean it's an illusion. That's just illogical thinking for the deluded.

As far as I know, string theory, and quantum physics is still a big...who the hell really knows kind of thing.

People are imposing pish posh on top of science, and trying to fit things where they just don't go.
edit on 26-3-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by vexati0n

Nothing is real,all is illusion,our senses are unable to perceive reality the way it really exists.Our brains are creating an imaginary world that our bodies have no choice but to surrender to and live within...
edit on 26-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join