It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality Is An illusion Taking Place Inside Our Brains And Nowhere Else

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
I believe what he was trying to say can be found here:

All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel.
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save.
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy,
beg, borrow or steal.
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say.
All that you eat
everyone you meet
All that you slight
everyone you fight.
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come
and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

That's pretty funny!

Love Pink Floyd!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by vexati0n

The pain that pete experienced was felt by his brain,inside his brain and by nothing and nowhere else. Remove petes brain and then hit him with a barstool and he will be aware of nothing...

edit on 26-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Nothing is real,all is illusion,our senses are unable to perceive reality the way it really exists.Our brains are creating an imaginary world that our bodies have no choice but to surrender to and live within...

This is called derealization, and giving up on life.

You are rearranging terms to fit your weak-minded attitude.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

The pain that pete experienced was felt by his brain,inside his brain and by nothing and nowhere else. Remove petes brain and then hit him with a barstool and he will be aware of nothing...

I think you missed the point.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by vexati0n

I think you missed the point.
I read all of that story used as an example and i realized the cosmos and 99.9% pure empty space points made at the end.I was just explaining how we would feel and know nothing without our brains allowing us to and telling us to...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

So, 5 pages later, your point boils down to, "you know, without your brain, you probably wouldn't know much."

Thanks, can we move on to something else now?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by vexati0n
reply to post by blocula

So, 5 pages later, your point boils down to, "you know, without your brain, you probably wouldn't know much."

Thanks, can we move on to something else now?
Sure and so lets now peel back yet another layer of this mysterious mystery...

When we look up out into outer space,what we are actually looking at is an intentionally projected hologram, purposefully designed in a particular way so when we see it,our brains will interpret it as being a three-dimensional reality,but thats not what it really is.Its a magmificent illusion and a grand deception,created to trick us and keep us looking in the wrong direction,up,instead of down deep below earths surface and it has been fabricated to enslave our minds while making us feel very helpless,really small and totally trapped with seemingly nowhere else for us to go...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer

Originally posted by badconduct
reply to post by blocula

Nothing exists outside of our minds.

Our minds are a part of reality. How you comprehend the Universe is exactly what it is.

If they send a probe to Mars and find sand, than it doesn't really matter how your "mind comprehends Mars". Mars has been around a lot longer than you, and it doesn't really care what you think. It's a billion years old, and him and Mercury are laughing at the Earth because it grew some kind of disgusting fungus a few million years ago.

Once the Earth finds a cure for us, the whole Universe is going to follow the Sun to whatever destination it had in mind. They are probably on vacation right now, and it takes a few billion years to reach their destination. But that's no time for a planet.
edit on 25-3-2012 by badconduct because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2012 by badconduct because: (no reason given)

Interesting. Yet, my explorations into this REALM of thought has led me to the conclusion that we do, indeed, exist. Things --everything-- outside our minds exist. However, our minds can change, manipulate, determine and SCULPT the *very real* reality surrounding us. Now, the definition of "reality" depends on who is defining it. I suggest that this world, this "reality" is indeed REAL; yet I also suggest that our thoughts can change that very REAL reality.

Believing that nothing exists outside our minds is a kind of contradicting duality. Here's why: if nothing outside your mind is real, then is your MIND ITSELF "real?" How can your MIND be real if everything else is unreal? Basically, this is called SOLIPSISM. Solipsism is the belife that nothing exists outside of **you.** In other words, when you leave a room filled with 20 friends, those 20 friends CEASE TO EXIST as long as you don't see/hear/feel/smell/taste them. Solipsism basically states that nothing exists unless YOU are there to witness it. Unfortunately, solipsism is a common state among cold-blooded serial killers and unfeeling people --because they can't understand that a world exists beyond their personal perception. It's a POTENTIALLY dangerous mindset.

edit on 26-3-2012 by GhostLancer because: TYPO

Hey, I like this. I didn't know that there was a term to describe it, but yes, that defines this weirdly self-centered way of thinking perfectly. And as a definition of reality it's obviously not true, but it's as though the promoters of this notion are incapable of being affected by any presentation that proves it to be impossible. But then, what would you expect from people who embrace this way of thinking? Nothing can affect them, if what you suggest about it being a common brain state among psychopaths is true.

Man, that's some creepy sh*t right there.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Very interesting thread !

I believe that everything is energy. All that exists. Pure Living Energy. Our lives are what we personally perceive from this energy.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make noise? I wouldn't think so.

Only if we'd be around would we perceive the sound of it. Same goes with all our other senses.

Our brain transmits what we perceive as feel, smell, taste, sight and hearing.

The Wachowski brothers nailed it with the Matrix. When Neo actually sees the world as it really is, (after he drops the bullets) I would assume, is pretty close to what it could really be.

S&F for great thinking out of the mainstream !

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Simulation Hypothesis > en.wikipedia.org...

Our Reality Might Be A Super Computer Simulation...Ancestor Simulation,is reality an illusion? > www.nasca.org.uk...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
OP how long have you been thinking on these lines?
How did your personal views of existence develop?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by awakendhybrid
OP how long have you been thinking on these lines?
How did your personal views of existence develop?
They have been developing over many years.I started reading paranormal, ufo, cryptozoological, haunted houses, poltergeists ect, ect types of books when i was around 12 years old and i have easily read around 150 of them and after having experienced many paranormal sightings and encounters myself,some of which were witnessed by others who were with me.But the two bizarre events i experienced that really pushed me "out of the box" were these two incidents >

Early One Morning I Saw The Light Of The Rising Sun,Suddenly Speed Up! > www.abovetopsecret.com...

Demonic Screams And Diabolical Laughter In The Graveyard > www.abovetopsecret.com...

Strange And Sometimes Terrifying Things Have Always Happened To Me And Here Is What Some Of Them Are > www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 27-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

o\

How egocentric do you have to be to think that nothing exists unless you perceive it? Sorry but your logic is unsound. We would all act like serial killers if reality was only as an individual's manifestation. What about all the living things in the forest? What about the other matter struck by the tree which is also matter? Your trying to say if a human isn't there to hear it the sound/vibrations don't happen? What was the "computers" reason for putting dinosaur bones in the ground? To screw with us? Come on.....

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by XTTIOTX

Sorry but your logic is unsound.

Hello Spock

What is egocentric about thinking as such? Don't you think that animals from the forest wouldn't hear it? Of course they would. But if there isn't a living organism in the vicinity, there would be no sound to be perceived.

Your brain translates.

Could you point out where it is that I said that nothing exists? What I said was that everything is Energy. If this energy didn't exist, we wouldn't be around discussing this thread.

As for individuality, let me give you an example of what I mean...

If twenty people leave from one town on a walk, cross a bridge and get to another town, you will get twenty people leaving twenty towns, crossing twenty bridges to get to twenty different towns. The towns and bridge are the same, the perceptions are individually manifested. Don't believe me? Give it a try.

But since I don't get how you add serial killers into the mix, then perhaps that my logic is flawed...

edit on 27-3-2012 by SonoftheSun because: grammar

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by XTTIOTX

We think that all the other living things in the forest exist because our brains are telling us they do, but do they,are they really there?

Its possible that even the earth itself exists only because we think it does,perhaps because someone or something has programmed or is programming our brains to think and believe its really here...

And just like our video games have become progressively more advanced,some kind of super computer may be programming our virtual world and our brains simulated experience of this holographic material reality into ever more complex levels as we traverse this illusion...

Maybe we are being down-loaded with new virtual reality data everytime we fall asleep?

Pre-programmed information that we up-load and use without even realizing it while we are conscious that gives us the illusion of another day,another series of events, in a seemingly real world...

That could be the real reason why we are all compelled to sooner or later have to fall asleep without a choice...

edit on 27-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

...They will deny it and they will refuse to believe it,but an incredible fact remains,waking consciousness is an illusion and nothing is real...

Because,like it or not,admit it or not,everything we see,hear,taste,touch and smell is happening within our brains and nowhere else...

Interesting... Not the first time I've heard/read/considered this, but - it seems you've considered it, at least at bit past freshman curiosity.

I have had (and continue to have) some of the same questions as others have responded --
On the other hand, some of the points you make agree with some of the conclusions I've reached (as temporary as they might be).
Example: A few years ago (in 2008 to be exact), I experienced two sightings of UFOs. They were certainly UFOs as, I had no explanation for what could do what they did. At the time, I "believed" in UFOs. Since then, while other phenomena have had their moments in the sun/spotlight (of my attention), my "belief" has grown less adamant, and...I have seen no more.

Your postulation closely resembles some of the writings/sayings attributed to Don Juan Matus.
The reason we each see the same table, and room, and building and mountains...and world...is that we've collectively "agreed" to perceive it in the same (or, very similar) fashion.
But - just as you will never find two Christian apologists that agree on everything about their faith (nor two Muslims, or Buddhists, or Atheists or Satanists or Vegans...etc..etal), so we all seem to have some differing perception of virtually everything we see, hear, feel, smell, taste, touch...
You may describe a dish to me in the most eloquent, elaborate and intoxicating terms...and I might be rubbing my belly and salivating profusely...and...what I am perceiving from what you've described...is entirely different from what you intended to convey.

-- Enjoyed your post!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Bigfoot,ufos,lake monsters,ghosts,earthquakes,tidal waves,car crashes,wars ect,ect,ect could just be new characters and new events that are being downloaded into our virtual world and programmed into our brains while we sleep,like adding characters to a video game to make it more interesting and more fun to play,but then,who or what are the programmers? Who or what is projecting this three dimensional hologram we call reality? Super advanced class-3 aliens? and or an extreme super computer that survived beyond its creators extinction upon some other planet,or in another dimension and is able to upgrade and repair itself and keep our illusion alive?

edit on 28-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

reply to post by WanDash

Bigfoot,ufos,lake monsters,ghosts,earthquakes,tidal waves,car crashes,wars ect,ect,ect could just be new characters and new events that are being downloaded into our virtual world and programmed into our brains while we sleep,like adding characters to a video game to make it more interesting and more fun to play,but then,who or what are the programmers? Who or what is projecting this three dimensional hologram we call reality? Super advanced class-3 aliens? and or an extreme super computer that survived beyond its creators extinction upon some other planet,or in another dimension and is able to upgrade and repair itself and keep our illusion alive?

edit on 28-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Of course, I have seen this postulation (downloads while we sleep), as well. How could it be proved or disproved? It's an interesting twist, to say the least.
Makes you wonder, though - why would anyone-else (including Super advanced class-3 aliens and interminal super computers) care enough about "us" to devote so much attention and time...to keeping "the illusion" alive.
Unless, of course...the purpose is alterior...like...maybe...they actually serve the Rothschilds...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

But inside the brain is made up by the brain.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
reply to post by blocula

...Reality is the entire physical whole that shares a primordial sub-structural commonality, and this includes all activity and the information that exists as a result of (and that provides the default management of) that activity. It's not imagined, since it is required to exist for such imagining to exist as a direct ramification of it and its own prior existence... You kids...can't...explain how the brain comes into emergent existence if the brain itself is what create the reality that contains it as the dynamic and creating actor that you claim it to be. Even the human mind must physically exist if it is the true author of reality, and yet how can it physically exist if there is no physical reality for it to exist within? It can't imagine itself into existence, and no amount of esoteric poetry or prose will ever overcome that logical contradiction. ...

Your definitions presume certain constructs that, perhaps, all do not accept.
One, for example, is equating "the (physical) brain" with "the human mind".
On another note, it seems that you equate "reality" with "physical existence".
This all may be the case.
How would I know?
By experience?
By someone telling me that they are smarter and wiser and more studied than...me?
Not that you don't put a good argument forth...and give much/plenty to consider.........but...some of your bases are not - if you will - self evident to me.
I began reading some of your referenced post, and will give it more time when I have more time to consider.
I, likewise, will be looking at more of your replies in this thread...for further clarification/s and/or, simply for further consideration.
Thanks for your contribution!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join