It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools ban children making best friends

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Schools ban children making best friends

TEACHERS are banning schoolkids from having best pals — so they don't get upset by fall-outs.

Instead, the primary pupils are being encouraged to play in large groups.

Educational psychologist Gaynor Sbuttoni said the policy has been used at schools in Kingston, South West London, and Surrey.

She added: "I have noticed that teachers tell children they shouldn't have a best friend and that everyone should play together.

"They are doing it because they want to save the child the pain of splitting up from their best friend. But it is natural for some children to want a best friend. If they break up, they have to feel the pain because they're learning to deal with it."

Russell Hobby, of the National Association of Head Teachers, confirmed some schools were adopting best-friend bans.

Just when you think you've heard it all, someone proves otherwise.

This world is filled with nutcases.

edit on 23-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
"Best friends" are kind of strange.

You have friends, and you have people you know. There's no such thing as a "best friend".

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
"Best friends" are kind of strange.

You have friends, and you have people you know. There's no such thing as a "best friend".

How not? The concept of having much closer friends is not exactly foreign..

You choose your friends. Separating people because it'll be "good for them in the long run", is just silly and stupid.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Sorry, but beg to differ.

I have had a best friend since childhood. While I have a number of good friends, quite a number of acquaintances, and "others"...there is no doubt that this person is far and away, above and beyond the "best".

I hope someday you will find yours...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Originally posted by DaTroof
There's no such thing as a "best friend".

There must be a full moon...

What?

Isn't whether you have a "best friend" a subjective assessment made by you and you alone? How is it you could presume to make that assessment for someone else?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I've never really had one person who I would call my "best friend"

For me id perhaps use the term as someone being "one" of my "best friends" instead of being "my" "best friend"

I've obviously had certain friends for longer periods in my life, who I am more comfortable sharing things with, etc.

I still dont understand why "best friends" would be banned though

Cheers

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
That sure is going to mess up these kids.

To address the difference between best friends and "friends," a best friend is like a brother from another mother; a friend whom you trust dearly and feel very much accepted by. Personally, I'm still great friends with the kids who I grew up with; even though we've had our falling outs, I'd much rather have a strong relationship than a bunch of fake "friends," or rather accomplices, who don't really care for me and vice versa. Having a close friend is a necessity of childhood, as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxMulder91

Originally posted by FoxMulder91
I still dont understand why "best friends" would be banned though

Because NUTCASES are obviously running those schools!!!

Creeps me out how outrageous a policy that is.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Another contribution from the nutter fringe of those who are charged with educating our children.

I suppose...if we accept this line of thought as being what should be the societal norm...we had better ban the whole idea of boyfriend/girlfriend...or husband/wife.

We should all just live in one big commune where no special attachments of any kind are formed with anyone.

Ban the concept of parents, children, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents...

How do these lunatics even think of these things - let alone get their bosses to agree?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Wow this is really one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. These kids are going to develop best friends whether the teacher wants them to or not. It's just a natural process that can't be avoided.

They are trying to encourage these children to merge into "packs" or "herds" without any true individuality or meaningful relations, just a group of faceless "friends" lacking any close relationships. It's sick.

Kids need close friends that they can trust and confide in, friends who they can talk to about personal issues and friends who stick by them through thick and thin. They are trying to take all that away from them.

How can these people even call themselves educators when they are clearly lacking any common sense or rationality? This is a disgrace and a direct attack on the mental health of these children.

Why don't they stick to teaching the kids math and english and stay out of their personal lives. Freaking brain dead morons need to get a grip on reality and stop looking at things in black and white.

edit on 23-3-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

Speechless.

Simply speechless.

I have no clue how something like this would get traction.

Obviously, I am completely clueless how off the rails society has become.

:shk:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
George Orwell would be so proud.

Looks like they're accelerating the program. We're in the endgame.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
link contained profanity - my bad

edit on 23-3-2012 by homeslice because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Was surprised to see that picture, now that schools are BANNING the evil act of holding hands...

thesun
pompano
nydailynews

Holding hands is bad enough, but *hugging* can get you punished of course.

Example 1...
Two hugs equals two days of detention for 13-year-old Megan Coulter. The eighth-grader was punished for violating a school policy banning public displays of affection when she hugged two friends Friday.

Example 2...
A rule against physical contact at a Fairfax County middle school is so strict that students can be sent to the principal's office for hugging, holding hands or even high-fiving.

Example 3...
The mother of a student in Autauga County says her daughter was disciplined for simply hugging a friend (who recently lost a parent).

hugs

This world is doomed.
Doomed I tell ya, and not by Nibiru or solar flares either.

edit on 23-3-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Actually i agree with the ban i am surprised they haven't done this in the 90s
and why i say that? because a kid i hated the whole idea best friends.

Because when kids do make these best friends of there's and you want to join along with them they wont allow you, sometimes its like a secret society and makes you feel left out as an outcast.

Elementary friends and high school friends dont last forever because everyone moves on with either lives or sometimes Jobs.
edit on 23-3-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
First BFFs for kids, next FWBs for adults. Better take action now before it affects YOU.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
this should go over good.....

I think they are denying human nature on this one....
you have a group of 20 or 30 people...
you are gonna click with some of these people, and there will be a few that will just rub you the wrong way. nothing wrong with them, nothing wrong with you, it's just the the personalities don't actually mesh with each other...

and then, well, there might be one or two that well, fit like puzzle pieces... share the same interests as you, have similar backgrounds, ect .....of course you are gonna spend more time with those puzzle pieces!!

I like everyone at the place I work, but I can go days not saying much of anything to many of them while there is a few that I consider friends. and well, my "best friend" at the moment happens to be in NY....haven't found anyone here yet that I can mesh with at that level.....outside of my hubby of course. now, my best friend, well, we shared a dream together, before we even knew each other. we can know what each other is gonna say and finish their sentences for them.

to me, I kind of think that well, we come to this planet in groups, and I can tell when someone is from my group! and we come as groups to help each other in our mission in this life.

to stiffle this process is just plain insane!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Another daft idea that will help a whole generation go slowly nuts.

Anyone who doesn't see the need for really close friendship with people you aren't actually related to must be a little sociopathic.

I don't count many as friends, but I have a few who I class as my brother and know I can count on them no matter what, and they know that I am there for them also.

Life is tough enough without being a lone wolf all the time.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Who needs best friends at school when you can go home and get on facebook and be best friends with all sorts of weirdo's, freaks ,deviants and delusional psycho's.Welcome to the brave new world .

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
there are a bunch of creeps in charge of the establishment in Britain, and the educational establishment is festooned with such creeps- those in positions of power in education (as in other areas of the establishment) only get there by toeing the "party" line on all things liberal/left- there is no room for freedom of thought, hence you end up with creepy, weird bans like this.

Something about the left wing that has a severe totalitarian streak, this is evident throughout history, whether it is on a national scale, or people in charge of kids in London boroughs

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join