It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French police surround suspect in Toulouse shootings

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
He doesn't seem to be in custody.

All reports that he has been arrested are being denied.

They have just said negoiations have failed and they are about to launch another attack.

They are now also reporting that they had arrested someone else in connection with the killings this morning.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Yeah I just read that myself and corrected my post. Just kick the door in and snatch him before he shoots himself...

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

there could be a lot of threats being made if this guy is connected.

he could easily have explosives.

he is supposed to be jihadist. he will want to take people with him.

other people could be waiting to take action for him in france if he is killed.

could be very dangerous situation for the police

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

That being the case, (I didn't know that he was a jihadist), he would take other down with him. Well they may need to nerve gas him...Seem to be the only possible way to get him, or they can just toast him altogether. But if they want info they would need him alive.

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Simplest solution is exactly what they are doing: cordon off the area, evacuate the residents and wait for him to make his move. That way, no one is placed in unnecessary danger and he isn't going anywhere. Frankly, they probably wouldn't be too bothered if he was holed up there for a couple of weeks - he would be so weak by the end they could walk up to him and plasticuff him!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Though the killer's connection is not yet known, Nuriel told the Jerusalem Post that a coalition of terrorist groups has agreed to strike Israeli and Jewish targets anywhere possible. "They attack whoever they can and wherever security is lax," he said.

www.newsmax.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Yeah they very well could just leave him in there and let him hole up until he basically can't do anything. However these jihaddists are cowards and will do whatever it takes...However he may just shoot himself if they do make a move, which by what you posted, I don't think they will. They will prolly just leave him in there.

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

15.54 Prosecutor Francois Molins said the US army previously sent the Toulouse gunman back to France after he was arrested in Afghanistan. Afghan police detained Mohammed Merah and then handed him over to the US army "who put him on the first plane headed to France," Mr Molins said.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

My worry is that political pressure will force them to make a rash move, ie storming the place. Yes they will get him but that would also endanger lives - and lets face it, he can't go anywhere. Whatever he does now is limited to the room / flat he is holed up in. Even if he blows the building up, everyone has been evacuated.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
it seems several attempts have been made to get him. this doesn't really paint the police on the scene in a great light. one guy in a rathole and they failed several times?

16.06 Francois Molins added that several assaults were attempted on the Toulouse gunman's flat but officers were fired upon each time. He said two police were wounded by Mohamed Merah, one in the knee and another when a bullet hit his flak jacket.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
it seems he may have changed his mind on the whole jihadist issue, doesn't have the soul of a suicide bomber ;

"Mehar told negotiators he envisaged other murders, including one this morning of a soldier outside his home. He had other criminal projects, including two policemen in Toulouse, he expresses no regret except not to have killed any other victims and claims to have brought France to its knees," said Paris prosecutor François Molins.

He said he doesn’t have the "soul of suicide bomber - was happy to kill but not die for cause. He was a loner who was capable of staying locked in at home for long periods and fantasied on ultra-violent internet clips such as beheadings, the prosecutor said.

He helped police trace a Renault Megan rented in March, which contained a revolver, a scattergun, an Uzi, and ammunition. He mentioned a Clio also containing arms and ammunition. He gave address where scooter is parked. Two dark helmets dark and white found. A camera was found in a bag given to friend.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

you have to wonder then why he has not given himself up?

link   

Wow he's stupider then I thought. Whats the point of it? He knows this is going to end one of two ways. Shot dead or arrested and tried, which in turn will prolly get him the death penalty...

-SAP-

link   

I guess it depends on the situation "on the ground". It may be that they can only approach down a narrow area or a myriad of other reasons that make storming the place difficult and defence of it very easy. If the guy has combat experience (which he possibly has if the reports about Afghanistan are true) then he would have chosen a defensible bolt hole / hideaway - different to the average nutter with a gun.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Does he have hostages? Why haven't they suggested/used tear gas? Anyone know if they tried that tactic yet? (trying to catch up on the situation).

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

Wow he's stupider then I thought. Whats the point of it? He knows this is going to end one of two ways. Shot dead or arrested and tried, which in turn will prolly get him the death penalty...

-SAP-

France doesn't have the death penalty.

www.diplomatie.gouv.fr...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Lord Jules

I don't think he has hostages. He's by himself in a small apartment, probally with explosives and firearms. Two police officers have been shot. One in the knee and one in the flak jacket. They both are okay though. He is hostile.

As for the tear gas not sure if they attempted that or not. Chances are if it remains a standoff they will.

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
he said this morning he was giving up this afternoon.

now he is telling them he is giving up late this evening.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Ahhh Didn't know that. Thnaks for that!

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

The French authorities, have pinned the location of the Serial Killer who killed paratroopers and Jewish people. So far, Special Operations Police are at teh scene, and are waiting until 12 PM, when the gunman said he would surrender. Some Police Officers have been wounded over the last couple of hours in this siege. The killer, is described to be working for Al Qaeda, and taking revenge for the death of Palestinian children.I am glad that they found the location of him, and are conducting ways in which to apprehend him.

Here is a live update as the events go on:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Just as a sidenote, He's not a serial killer he's a mass murderer.

Mass Murderer

Serial Killer

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join