It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the Cop go too far???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Forget the cop....I'm more repulsed by the Romanesque jubilation of the crowd when the situation turns ugly.

I think in the context of what you see in this video, that is just as bad as any perceived impropriety on the part of the officer.

I disagree; the people are just bystanders so they have no obligation to interfere in the proceedings.

but the officer? He is sworn to uphold the law and protect the rights of American citizens which he ignores in favour of nursing his bruised ego. He should lose his badge for abusing the authority that he was entrusted with;

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The kid put hands on the cop. He put the kid on the ground and held him until help arrived. Did you catch that?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Not saying the kid didn't deserve it or nothin but.. go in there and hold some lippy kid at gunpoint? sounds like you show alot of backbone there..

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Finally a cop willing to move his fat ass instead of just using a Taser.

Too bad it was to choke someone instead of restraining the person in a professional manner.

What was the need to drive him back 50 feet while choking him?

If you think that the person is pulling him..exactly..that is why he should have grabbed him by the arm to restrain him..and put the cuffs on right there.

It looked like the cop was playing the dozens with the kid and when he got tired of playing he wanted to show how tough he was...not by arresting the kid as MAY have been warranted..but by grabbing him by the throat like a common street thug would do.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

The kid was being an obnoxious little smart mouth. It's not the kids fault, but his parents. They're the ones who should have been choke slammed into the trash. (Ok, not really choke slammed as that was a bit over the top, but the kid could have been put into the back of the police car if one was available and scared a bit into thinking about what he was doing/saying.)

Kids today world over think they're entitled to everything. That their actions have no consequences. I'm not that old myself, but at least I was raised right.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Did he go too far? Not really sure. Now had he repeatedly lit her up with fifty thousand volts from a tazer, cracked her skull with a leather clad hunk of lead, or snapped her arm in half with a truncheon, well then I think I could reasonably conclude he crossed the line regardless of just about anything that may have occurred prior.

Having said all that, I'm thinking he used just the amount of force necessary to diffuse this particular situation.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

That is one of the most ignorant posts I have seen on this site in some time, and based on the topics this site covers, thats really saying something.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by drgrantdiz

Interesting comment...

if you dont mind please explain how you arrived at your conclusion with regards to the officer and why he should be fired. in what way did he not protect the suspects rights as an American?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Damned right he went too far. He needs to be fired and then sued for excessive force. He was the adult and he should have the common sense to walk away from a situation like that. Part of being a cop is controlling your emotions. He did nothing of the sort.

Needless to say, it probably scared the kid so much that he will respect the police for a long time to come.

Talk bout the strong arm of the law

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

One of the first things someone learns when becoming a cop is using reasonable force.

The cop did not use reasonable force.

HE PICKED THE KID UP BY HIS NECK FOR GOD SAKES.

Reasonable force for that 70 pound stick would have been to hold him in the air by his arm pits until he got the picture that he wasn't the alpha male.

I am afraid of what you do to your kids. Me I do what I said the cop should have done. I hold them up until they stop fighting and till they know they aint going to get there way and they have to do what I say. I aint going to ever use excessive force. Once they get old enough and start fighting. simple pressure points send a huge message.

I wont be breaking the spirit of my boys.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
thats what happens when youre 12 yrs old, drunk and want to be a tough guy.
i think the cop deserves a pat on the back.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

When my boy, who is very ticklish does not want to listen or wants to misbehave I tell him I will tickle you till you pee your pants infront of all these people that shuts him and brings his attention ten-hut.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

That is one of the most ignorant posts I have seen on this site in some time, and based on the topics this site covers, thats really saying something.

Really? Care to tell me exactly what's ignorant about it? Please oh please, Mr. Intellect. The guy is a fatass that has no business on the street.

The obnoxious kid probably pointed that out and aroused a personal rather than professional response to it. That's the problem with law enforcement. Too many LEOs take things personally and do not respond in the manner in which the public expects or in which they were trained. Have you ever seen a 300 pound Marine? There's a reason why you haven't.

Not to mention that you seem, in all of your wisdom, to not be able to distinguish between sarcasm, light hearted comments and what people actually feel.
edit on 3/21/12 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Sorry but you are wrong with that statement. The following is one of the most ignorant posts on this site in some time.

Really? Care to tell me exactly what's ignorant about it? Please oh please, Mr. Intellect. The guy is a fatass that has no business on the street. The obnoxious kid probably pointed that out and aroused a personal rather than professional response to it. That's the problem with law enforcement. Too many LEOs take things personally and do not respond in the manner in which the public expects or in which they were trained. Have you ever seen a 300 pound Marine? There's a reason why you haven't. Not to mention that you seem, in all of your wisdom, to not be able to distinguish between sarcasm, light hearted comments and what people actually feel.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Have you ever seen a 300 pound Marine? There's a reason why you haven't.

Tell it to this Marine.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
OK, you guys win, I'm terribly ignorant. LEOs are always right and should be able to serve in whatever capacity at 300+. Oh and they NEVER take anything personally or abuse their power. Brilliant.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall

Have you ever seen a 300 pound Marine? There's a reason why you haven't.

Tell it to this Marine.

Yes, that is exactly the kind of Marine I was doubting existed. He doesn't look like he belongs in the Armed Services at all. He doesn't even look like he can handle himself, let alone help out a unit.

I wouldn't screw with that guy on my best day with 20 other people on their best days. Officer Flubber on the other hand... Like I said, light jog.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I am a 285 lb police officer. I am considered obese and yet I was always able to keep up with the 145 lb skin and bone youngsters at the academy. In fact when I went to the academy I could actually do more push-ups than most of the youngsters, even some that had just come back from military.

Do I chase people? Only if I believe they are an immediate threat to themselves or someone else. If they are not a threat, since most of the people I have dealt with are usually known, I simply get a warrant and pick them up at my leisure.

Sadly I can no longer police at the time because I was working an accident and a vehicle came around the police car and ran over me. Fortunately for me I am still alive mainly because of my weight. Several, yes several, doctors told me that the only reason I survived was because of my size. If a smaller person had been struck as I had they would more than likely died at the scene. As it was, I died 3 times but like that pink bunny I just kept going and going. I wouldn't give up.

For someone, like you, to say that a person, due to their size, should not be a police officer is ludicrous. I have come on scene many times when one of our "smaller" officers was having to fight for his life just trying to arrest someone and the officer was extremely happy to see me appear. Not because I'm some super-cop but because of my size it doesn't take much force for me to put someone on the ground and do so without using excessive force.

I may not be your idea of a competent officer but I bet you a dollar to a donut that if someone was beating the crap out of you, you would be ecstatic to see me arrive to save your bacon.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
Really? Care to tell me exactly what's ignorant about it?

If you are going to answer your own question....

You are basing your position off of your own stereotypes about law enforcement. Its based on how you expect law enforcement to look instead of basing it on the ability to do ones job.

Let me give you a specific -
You have no issues stereotyping the officer, from weight to his mentality, stating the officer takes things to seriously as he did in this case. The ignorance of that argument comes in by you ignoring the fact the drunk assaulted the officer.

Maybe if drunks weren't complete morons the situation may have been different.

If we place a different officer into the scenario, making them the stereotyped height / weight, its entirely possible the situation may have taken a completely different and more dangerous turn. When there is confrontation, the body goes into fight or flight mode. The following action from that response is going to be based on the person's perception of the situation and odds of winning the encounter.

Had the officer been "ideal" then the drunk could very well have fought back. Because of the non "ideal" look, it allowed the officer to act while at the same time forcing the drunk to reevaluate their response. By the time the drunk made a decision, it was all over with.

If you dont mind me asking whats your background in and what country do you reside in?
edit on 22-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join