It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Flies Like A Bird Flapping His Own Wings..

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What a joke, will someone please lock up this thread? Everything these guys did was real except the flight - that's precisely what makes this particular hoax so convincing (I still think you must be watching it on a cellphone if you think it looks real.) To the folks that believe it is true, please explain to me the different texture of the film on and around the "flying man" Maybe it's his amazing motors heating up the air around him? And why the clever little edits? Again, put this up on a nice large screen and have a real look at it. Then come back and provide some specific answers.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
For those of you crying hoax....prove it. Don't just give a subjective analysis and let that be then end all to be all.

Show precisely in the video with evidence that this was an image created someone else and inserted into the video.

And the earth is flat as well. CGI makes it seem round.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Apparently, WIRED doesn't necessarily think this is a hoax:

Man Successfully Flies With Custom-Built Bird Wings

Editor’s note (March 21, 8:15 am PDT): The authenticity of this video has been questioned (Gizmodo , The Register), but Wired’s preliminary analysis by physicist Rhett Allain suggests the video is not necessarily a fake. We are contacting other experts and will update this post when we have more information. Jarno Smeets has not yet responded to several interview requests.

Let's see where this goes....if true...amazing. Simply, amazing.

TIME picked this up too.
edit on 21-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
c'mon...nobody has ever been on a sailboard???....i have stood on a hill with a hangglider and got "flown backward 30 feet (i was stupid enough to actually turn the front of the wing up before i was ready), and i was standing still. my ass hurt all day. remember this guy only got up a few feet and only flew a few yards...and he did this from a running start...looks real to me

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There's no need for those crying hoax to prove it.

1) The onus is on the people making the absurd claim.

2) Experts have looked at the video and concluded it is definitely fake.

3) The laws of physics prevent it being real. This has been known for hundreds of years.

The video was produced using compositing and at one point his arm even passes through the contraption without hitting it. Analysis even shows that it is not even the same person filming each segment of the video.

By now there is almost nothing that isn't known about it.

It's a fairly good fake, but 100% known that it is a hoax.

The most obvious reason is that, should someone succeed in doing the impossible after hundreds of years of trying, a HUGE fuss would be made about it by not just amateurs and conspiracy theorists, but by experts and scientists alike. Just because the news hits ATS does not make it real. In fact, 99.86 % of the ridiculous claims on ATS are complete nonsense. So it actually goes against it that it has been posted here.

Human beings cannot generate nearly enough energy with their arms to fly and any motor would be large and impossible to conceal.

Most of the really interesting things that actually do happen in the world do not make it to ATS.
edit on 21-3-2012 by XtraTL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Im not a CGI expert, but a few things stood out to me. The first thing I noticed were his legs hanging down in one view, then in another view they are straight out behind him like hes laying on stomach. Also for those who didnt click the links:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISINFORMANT

Originally posted by 12voltz
Good attempt but its never going to happen until he gets his bones replaced with lightweight material and i think he would have flown further without the flapping,it was just creating drag at that speed

And to you have a background in flight mathematics to back this claim up? I'm pretty sure the wingspan/pilot weight ratio looks right... Have you ever seen a hang glider, or an ultralight airplane?

I think this is remotely possible, but I doubt it. I know that pulling your body weight using nothing but rope would be really hard at that climb rate, and doing so by flapping would be even harder due to the losses. If you had some way to leverage the power output of your legs, I can see this being feasible for a man. Using only arms, seems unlikely, unless the guy is massive, and even then...

-rrr
edit on 21-3-2012 by rickyrrr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Again:

but Wired’s preliminary analysis by physicist Rhett Allain suggests the video is not necessarily a fake

So.. a scientist actually is unsure.. but you brilliant ATS posters are 100% certain it's fake? Amazing.. who knew we has such brilliant people here.

Like I said.. you can't know without further study. I am now hoping this turns out to be quite real.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
So all the news paper clippings are faked, all the blogged reports and stuff on his website are all faked, all the other videos of failed attempts are faked. Just becasue ATS says so. Right on!

ATS is fake. It's all CGI and nobody on here is real. It's true becasue I said so

Nobody has any proof that it is fake, just "it's so obvious" and other BS comments to try and belittle people into believing their version, and they're all stupid if they don't believe the hoax callers version. . Makes me larf.

The papers covering it are all in on it too.
www.humanbirdwings.net...

Discovery channel,= in on it
the Haugue = In on it.
ATS = full of muppets who run around shouting FAKE at everything they can't understand

edit on 21/3/2012 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
That was awsome, but the music was creepy lol.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

Originally posted by XtraTL
...Experts have looked at the video and concluded it is definitely fake.

Based upon what I am reading, that isn't entirely true... (see above, for example.)

...The laws of physics prevent it being real. This has been known for hundreds of years.

...100% known that it is a hoax.

While you 'may' eventually be proven right...

It would be funny if your quote stood along these similar famous quotes:

It is entirely impossible for man to rise into the air and float there. For this you would need wings of tremendous dimensions and they would have to be moved at three feet per second. Only a fool would expect such a thing to be realized.

— Joseph de Lalande, member of the French Academy, 'Journal de Paris,' 18 May 1782.

It is apparent to me that the possibilities of the aeroplane, which two or three years ago were thought to hold the solution to the [flying machine] problem, have been exhausted, and that we must turn elsewhere.

— Thomas Edison, quoted in New York World, 17 November 1895.

Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.

— Lord Kelvin, President of the Royal Society, 1895.

It is complete nonsense to believe flying machines will ever work.

— Sir Stanley Mosley, 1905.

The aeroplane will never fly.

— Lord Haldane, Minister of War, Britain, 1907 (yes, 1907).

Link.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
An olympic 100m runner can generate about 2000W for about 30m using his LEGS.

No human can possibly generate the required energy by flapping their arms with that contraption strapped to them.

Come on people, stop ignoring facts.

The video is known to be fake. It's known how it was made. It's known to be physically impossible for a human. Scientists are NOT taking it seriously.

Fake, fake, fake.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

Wait a second? With a motor? SURE this is feasible. Anybody heard about ultralight aircraft?

I do question the loiter time, with such little net energy storage (just a handful of lipo batteries)

-rrr

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

An olympic 100m runner can generate about 2000W for about 30m using his LEGS.

No human can possibly generate the required energy by flapping their arms with that contraption strapped to them.

The video is known to be fake. It's known how it was made. It's known to be physically impossible for a human. Scientists are NOT taking it seriously.

Fake, fake, fake.

Then you don't know how it works.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

yep, you're right. It's totally impossible to fly with a MOTOR attached to your back

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Going on what I'm seeing, it looks fake.

There is something about the way he moves at takeoff that doesn't seem right, taking into consideration the movements of birds and other flying creatures. In fact, I'll go as far to say that the first few flaps where his body is being jerked up and down looks like Clash of the Titans-esque dynorama.

If this guy did create a flapping hang glider, then good for him.

I don't think jealousy/envy is causing anyone to debunk this. It just doesn't look right, and although I can't put my finger on it, I'll call hoax until proven otherwise.
edit on 3/21/12 by Tharsis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

He doesn't use only the energy his arms create.

According to Smeets’ calculations, he needed approximately 2,000 Watts of continuous power to support his roughly 180-pound frame and 40-pound wing pack. His arms could only really provide 5 percent of that, so the rest would have to come from motors. His arms and pecs would basically serve to guide the device and to flap the wings.

Link.

Pretty sloppy debunking on your part, if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Totally real.

ATS has become the place to call hoax to anything and everything that passes through here. You people need to step away from the keyboard for a long while and get your minds right.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by coop039
Im not a CGI expert, but a few things stood out to me. The first thing I noticed were his legs hanging down in one view, then in another view they are straight out behind him like hes laying on stomach. Also for those who didnt click the links:

Thank God you posted this. I was so convinced it was real until you pointed out the mysterious black box that appears on the wing. I mean, heck, it can't be tape or anything that they added during flight prep.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

The thing is it appears in the second or two the camera looks away so that they can switch to CGI, and theres nobody there to attatch it because we see them run away, and the man in the suit has his arms strapped it. So no it couldn't be tape that they added during flight prep. But I love the fact that according to your blind belief in this video not only is this guy violating the laws of physics but he's also doing it with a machine held together by tape.
edit on 21-3-2012 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join