It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Flies Like A Bird Flapping His Own Wings..

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Watch closer between :34 and :39

All a person would need to be able to do is pull ups, repeatedly.
(arms-flapping style)( And also the correct design.)

Repeatedly.For as long as it took to get height.

If you could manage that, well that's the hard part. After that you glide a sec and catch your breath and then gain a little more altitude and steer for the next thermal.

Even if this is fake, I could COMPLETELY see the right person(in shape) with the right machine(which works) flying fairly easily. The motors probably help with launch. What if they are motion activated -ASSIST- and not actually doing ALL the lifting.

Nice find op, star and flag, I don't care if it is fake, THIS WILL WORK It's just a matter of time.
edit on 21-3-2012 by rbnhd76 because: format and acknowledge op

edit on 21-3-2012 by rbnhd76 because: timing good sir

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by InsideYourMind

Originally posted by sealing
Geez, what dismissive cynical punks we have become on ATS.
Great thread awesome find S&F.

Absolutely legitimate and actually naysayers,
a really big deal. Awesome OP, thank you.

This is gonna be huge.

edit on 20-3-2012 by sealing because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2012 by sealing because: ad info

If you can't spot CGI in this video, then i have nothing else to say as all hope is lost for you

It is so blatantly obvious.

Man's physical make-up didn't evolve into something capable of flight, it is virtually impossible, we are too heavy and our muscles aren't strong enough, letalone being aerodynamic in build.

If you believe this is real....... w-o-w.

I've never understood replies like this.
Who are you to say that all hope is lost for someone who doesn't see something the way you see something? Jamie Hyneman of Mythbusters doesn't seem to think it's fake. I suppose that ALL hope is lost for him as well, since he doesn't see the "blatantly obvious" that your highly trained eye sees.

Get off your high horse.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
So....
If this thing is real....
How long until I can see this thing on sale at my local costco?
Yeah I can't fly but, I'm no fish either, not gonna hold my breath.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Nice CGI. This is actually scary, the implications of this technology. If you cant see the CGI in the clip I linked, God help you.

great example of it is in this video.

Skip to 1:52

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
reply to post by Aim64C

Edit: After reviewing the article.... I must stick my foot in my mouth.

He's powering the flight using a motor system slaved to an android based mobile device running on bluetooth-networked accelerometers.

Explains the pushup monstrosity problem.

Now I just need to figure out whether or not it's possible for such a small motor system to provide that much power. Brushless servo systems are powerful... but I'm still a tad skeptical.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Aim64C because: Open mouth, insert foot

Mythbusters covered the engineering aspect.

I wanted this to be real so bad, but after watching the videos a few times it really does look like cgi. The shots from above could have easily been taken from a balloon cam.

I guess we wait to see.. Unless I skipped over some evidence from the past few pages.

In comparison, I noticed someone on another forum posted the range of motion used by birds to take flight, interesting.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Obviously CGI...I guess to the trained eye it would be obvious. I used to do computer graphics for a long time and so it's quite obvious to me when I see the video. I realize what computer graphics programs today are capable of, and making a guy appear to fly off in what looks like a flimsy contraption that is a mockery to bird-flight is quite feasible.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DISINFORMANT

I wonder how your name relates to peddling a CGI video ...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISINFORMANT

Originally posted by 12voltz
Good attempt but its never going to happen until he gets his bones replaced with lightweight material and i think he would have flown further without the flapping,it was just creating drag at that speed

And to you have a background in flight mathematics to back this claim up? I'm pretty sure the wingspan/pilot weight ratio looks right... Have you ever seen a hang glider, or an ultralight airplane?

Good grief, we've gone back to the 1700's.

It DOES NOT WORK!

lmao... ironic avatar.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

reply to post by 12voltz

Nobody said it was "human powered". That assumption rests solely on your shoulders.

From the article:

The harness holds the brushless outrunner motors that power the mechanical propulsion system for the wings.

Man Flies Like A Bird Flapping His Own Wings

Did you mean the title of this thread is misleading then?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Again, what did you honestly expect, a man who had grown a bird's wings?
Obviously, some people are impossible to please.

Probably what the title suggested, and the video originally shown alluded to.

A man, with fancy bird wings, flapping his arms, and flying. Which is what the video supposes to show. Which is aerodynamically impossible.

But now it's revealed he has motorised wings etc ... then it's no different than

Man doesn't flap his arms with wings strapped on and fly, which is - and I'm serious - what most of the people going COOL!!! are thinking this is.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
This is of course a hoax. You can tell from the way he screws his face up at the end that he is lying. Not to mention that the physics of it is pretty impossible.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

I've conceded that he hasn't grown wings, which is evidently what you wanted to see..

Ohhh so very disingenuous. No one 'wanted' the topic, you offered it.

You should have anticipated people expecting the thread title match with the subject. But then, I also know that the T&C of ATS stipulate you must post the exact topic if it's a News related item. This is .. Aircraft projects, so IMO, you should have described in the title that it is not a man with wings, and is in fact a man with a motorised contraption.

As for your comparison to driving to the shops... well, it's more like saying "Man powers car with his own feet!" and then go on to have an article about how he still uses an engine but that his feet do control the pedals..

ahh well, da spwing has spwung, da gwass has wiz... I wonda ware da boidies is? Oh they're up there with the hoomans!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

you can tell at the 0:34 second mark that its CGI...Just look how goofy the motions are.
I'm pretty sure this device could glide in the proper circumstances, but not take off from the ground like a bird with a crappy flapping motion like that.

When you're swimming under water lets say, you have to retract your arms close to your body to reduce the drag so you can move forward...as simple as that
edit on 21-3-2012 by jesiaha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
This guy was using WI controllers, so I assume, and it looks like his wing are powered by a motor, and he is flapping his arms, using the the WI mote technology to translate the movement to the wings, at least that is my understanding.

I don´t see the sense in that, why flap your arms if you can make it move aurtomatically with a button.

He is not powering the wings with his arms. And it looks a bit like CGI to me too.
edit on 21-3-2012 by bastardo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Naysayers are just jealous this guy outsmarted them all...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SL55T0T0

Out smarted us with a series of hoax videos?

Just keep an eye on where this thread is located I'm sure you'll see it relocated to the hoax bin soon enough

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

legit or not, he didn't fly, that's the real issue. one would think that he would've researched how birds actually flap their wings to fly...

Scared are we? It's okay to be in denial. We wont "hate" you for it...

This guy is clearly flying, sorry bud.
edit on 21-3-2012 by WiindWalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I'm very good in spotting CGI when I see it and the video 13/14 sure is fake, something with the light and focus is wrong, also the running animation is not very good! I wish I didn't, I would enjoy films a lot better lol.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
This is a CGI hoax. I really, really wish it wasn't but it is. One day soon though something similar to this will be possible, I'm no engineer but I wonder if some of the technology being used in the powered exoskeletons like the raytheon Sarcos could be applied to this field.
Some of you may not be aware of the 'snow bird' human ornithopter that was successfully tested a couple of years ago but have a look, its pretty cool, and is powered by foot pedals.
www.youtube.com...
I think that learning a little bit about this working model might make it more apparent to some of you why the videos in the OP are fake.

EDIT - This thread reminds me of the viral 'liquid mountaineering' hoax that a lot of people on this forum fell for hook, line and sinker last year. You can watch that one here www.youtube.com...
At the time people who pointed out how obviously fake it was were called debunkers and naysayers and accused of being jealous of the brilliant visionaries who had accomplished such and amazing feat and then sure enough it turned out to be a viral for waterproof shoes.
just like this will probably turn out to be a viral for red bull or something because "it gives you wings"
The problem is it's easy to convince people of something that they want to believe.
edit on 21-3-2012 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2012 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by foreshadower99
I want one!!!
We are getting closer and closer to personal flying machines.
This kind of technology makes me shed a manly tear. If it was not
for those exceptions in military all over the world I could say
technology is the best thing that has ever happened.

I am crying in my bathroom watching this. You said exactly what I was thinking. Imagine all of the human creativity being stifled. Imagine all of the people who have seen this guys resume and tossed it? How many others like him are being laughed at while trillions are being wasted on weapons of war and the "marketing" of war????

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join