It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Flies Like A Bird Flapping His Own Wings..

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Every time ATS sees something plausible and impressing, they instantly try to prove it's fake. You people are too jealous.

Those videos are amazing!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

it looks REALLY fake in the video.

why didn't they show him taking off and landing?

they only show after hes on the ground.

i want many different people with different cameras to film it from different angles before i can say its real.

it would be cool if this is really real.

edit on 21-3-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It still has to be proven hoax, as many mentioned, there are several things that just dont add up. Guess we will have to wait to see if this guy really is working on this and brings new light on the technology behind. I would hope someday this would be possible.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
You folks must be watching this on a cell phone screen if you think this is legit. Can you not see the entire texture of the video change right before the guy starts 'flying?' It's truly embarrassing to see these posts defending the video. It's a neat idea for a hoax and these guys did a fine job. Please just take a closer look at the video if you think the flying bit is genuine. It's clear they've got a real device but it most certainly will not power a flight for a man that size.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Does any1 remember watching these?
I guess with out the secret brush-less dutch motor or whatever the power plant is,
these early aviators were destined to fail

Smeets developed the wings over an eight-month period. They use a special motion mechanism built around an Android phone and Nintendo Wii controllers. His system allows him to literally start flapping his arms to take off and keep flying.

So my guess Viral Marketing for a new version of the Game "Pilot Wings"

the give away to me that it is hoax...
Watch carefully :34 to :42
the legs go from hanging to laying out straight...
Hang Gliding requires a specialized sling for this ...he has None..
Not to Mention this section reminds me of CGI when you see a Dragon or some Fantasy creature take Flight

Watch :34 to :42

edit on 3/21/2012 by spoonbender because: lmfao @ threads like this

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Is this what most of you posters do?..Go over to GodLikeProductions and pick out a post you think will get you flags and post it over here? Change the title around a little, and make out like its something you brought to abovetopsecret? Really getting old to see the same ole crap being tossed back and forth.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Man Flies Like A Bird Flapping His Own Wings..,

Nope. And I did not think he grew wings, as is apparent by your usage of the word "like".

I was expecting to see a man fly by the use of a device that he is flapping "like" a bird flapping his own wings.

Of course that will never happen. A man using a device whereby he will flap it, thus producing lift.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

i want many different people with different cameras to film it from different angles before i can say its real.

You must be looking at the wrong video, because it does show him taking off and landing.

It seems feasible to me, especially if motors are involved. This site is full of skeptics who love to be the first to "prove" something wrong, just to make themselves look smarter. It's rather funny, because you get 12 people giving 12 different reasons why they are sure it's a fake, and they are all dead-certain they are right.

It's not a huge deal - there are better ways to "fly" right now. I don't think this will become a common past-time, when you can use a glider, or fly around in one of those what I call squirrel suits or whatever they are. I don't think someone would spend the inordinate amound of time required to create a device, make multiple video, find a way to create an "in flight" video (crane or whatever), or even make that device.. doesn't look terribly cheap to make.

But leave it to ATS - post anything, and within a minute, you'll get all the "experts" who all claim they know it's a hoax, and how stupid people are for believing it. They are just that good!
edit on 21-3-2012 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Im stunned by how readily people are falling for this. The more I think about it the more ridiculous it becomes. This is EXACTLY like the liquid mountaineering farse. People never learn, even after they are forced to accept that this is a hoax the same people that can't understand why this is so obviously fake are going to be right there defending the next ridiculous fake video.
It's one thing to suspend judgement initially but to then start aggressively defending a video that even 5 minutes of research proves beond any reasonable doubt to be fake is just absurd and willfully ignorant.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
Im stunned by how readily people are falling for this. The more I think about it the more ridiculous it becomes. This is EXACTLY like the liquid mountaineering farse. People never learn, even after they are forced to accept that this is a hoax the same people that can't understand why this is so obviously fake are going to be right there defending the next ridiculous fake video.
It's one thing to suspend judgement initially but to then start aggressively defending a video that even 5 minutes of research proves beond any reasonable doubt to be fake is just absurd and willfully ignorant.

Really? So you are a master of aerodynamics, and without even knowing how the device is made, what the motors do, etc., you can in 5 minutes, conclusively say this is a hoax?

Like I said.. the most brilliant minds in the world are here.. posting.. all day. It's a shame really, they could be out there, making amazing discoveries and using their vast intelligence to make a difference in the world.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

You must be looking at the wrong video, because it does show him taking off and landing.

It seems feasible to me, especially if motors are involved. This site is full of skeptics who love to be the first to "prove" something wrong, just to make themselves look smarter. It's rather funny, because you get 12 people giving 12 different reasons why they are sure it's a fake, and they are all dead-certain they are right.

It's not a huge deal - there are better ways to "fly" right now. I don't think this will become a common past-time, when you can use a glider, or fly around in one of those what I call squirrel suits or whatever they are. I don't think someone would spend the inordinate amound of time required to create a device, make multiple video, find a way to create an "in flight" video (crane or whatever), or even make that device.. doesn't look terribly cheap to make.

But leave it to ATS - post anything, and within a minute, you'll get all the "experts" who all claim they know it's a hoax, and how stupid people are for believing it. They are just that good!

There is absolutely nothing in this video that appears to you like CGI? and with what you've learned of physics over the course of your life there is nothing that says to you 'this machine couldn't fly a man like that' ???? Please state that plainly if it is the case.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

This site is full of skeptics who love to be the first to "prove" something wrong, just to make themselves look smarter.

No, it's to try and help you become smarter and save people the embarassment of falling for an obvious hoax. please show me a single example of a video posted on here that people have been skeptical of which hasn't turned out to be fake. If skeptics come across as intellectually arrogant thats probably because they've never been wrong about one of these videos yet.

It's rather funny, because you get 12 people giving 12 different reasons why they are sure it's a fake, and they are all dead-certain they are right

Yes there are a lot of different reasons why this is fake, and a lot of people knowledgeable enough to recognize that. You seem to be implying that there are too many reasons why this is fake and that somehow undermines the argument that it's fake? I don't see our point.

Again, I'd love to see an example where something like this has turned out to be real and people haven't revealed their stupidity by believing in it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Go to the video "testflight with wings made from a kite 13/14" this is the most obviously CGI, now watch from 1 minute 40 seconds. On the left wing there is a black patch but not one on the right wing, the camera suspiciously pans down to the ground and when it comes back up the image is CGI and MAGICALLY an identical black patch has appeared on the right wing. This thread is just ridiculous now, im not wasting any more time on a PROVEN hoax.
here www.youtube.com...

edit on 21-3-2012 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Really? So you are a master of aerodynamics, and without even knowing how the device is made, what the motors do, etc., you can in 5 minutes, conclusively say this is a hoax?

Right back at you bud but replace the word hoax with genuine

This videos obviously edited I've pointed out the edits page's ago I'm not going to repeat myself

I understand your eager to get your point cross but have some courtesy to weigh up the evidence presented previously please

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This is blatantly CGI. I used to be impressed with CGI technology when it was first being developed into a texturally diverse way to animate entire movies like Beowulf, however, when placed into live action scenarios it is still obvious in contrast to "the real deal."

Neat movie but clearly and unequivocally CGI.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I agree that it looks CG when he takes off, it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

Even if it is real, it is pretty pointless when you have a power supply, a motor AND have to flap your arms still. Why not just make the device flap on its own and use the controllers as a throttle? waste of time and energy. youd be better off with an ultralight glider.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

No, it's to try and help you become smarter and save people the embarassment of falling for an obvious hoax. please show me a single example of a video posted on here that people have been skeptical of which hasn't turned out to be fake. If skeptics come across as intellectually arrogant thats probably because they've never been wrong about one of these videos yet.

One of what videos? How many videos of people trying to fly, included an actual decently constructed device, a webpage for said device, and multiple videos of progression makind and trying to fly it? Point out the plethora of such videos, I'd love to see them.

Even the fellow from mythbusters, who probably has a lot more actual experience debunking and breaking down hoaxes than most on this site, said it seemed feasible to him. Guess he is a dupe too eh?

Of course, human-powered flight -has- been achieved. Or didn't you know that?

Human Powered Ornithopter

Funny thing.. I am not saying it is real. Or a hoax. I am saying it's impossible to know either way without further study. There are suspicious bits in my mind, but there are also parts that seem legitimate. Including the point of the thing. Why would the guy have an entire project blog with cad diagrams, videos, pictures of all the bits, etc.? Seems a lot of work for what would be a short lived hoax.

Project Blog

But it's just like the UFO videos. I see it all the time. A new video gets posted, and within MINUTES, we get a host of "lolfake!" comments. They are not proving anything. They are relying on the fact that most turn out to be hoaxes or mundane objects, to bolster their "brilliant" conclusion, obviously based on their vast photo, video, and CGI knowledge.

And please.. spare the "trying to save embarassment" comments. I'd say the vast majority of people post replies to show how smart they think they are. Everyone loves being right. Most do it for the virtual "in your face, I am right and you are stupid!" feeling they get when they rebutt these videos / photos.

The amazing reasoning applied by most in reply to these videos is: "seems like CGI." Yea.. brilliant deduction.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by A-Dub
I agree that it looks CG when he takes off, it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

Even if it is real, it is pretty pointless when you have a power supply, a motor AND have to flap your arms still. Why not just make the device flap on its own and use the controllers as a throttle? waste of time and energy. youd be better off with an ultralight glider.

If you check out the site, the motors are "muscle enhancers" as it were. This is actually used by the military. A framework that allows soldiers to carry 70 pounds, and have it seem like 5 pounds. Assists on normal muscle movement to increase strength and power. Of course, they use a hydraulic system, and have dumped 50 million into the project. This guy did it with a couple of small motors.

So.. not sure either way, would need further study to say one way or the other however.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Seems 100% legit to me.

Did he fly? Of course he did. He moved through the air under control.

I think the technology is amazing and might have some uses, albeit recreational seems most plausible at this point. Now, they need to work on a multiplier system that doesn't take a 1:1 movement of the arms to move the wings. That could make one rather tired in a hurry. And, the wings could incorporate a mechanism like in Batman (sorry fore the reference) where the wing becomes rigid when an current is applied, making it more hanglider-esque.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Apparently, WIRED doesn't necessarily think this is a hoax:

Man Successfully Flies With Custom-Built Bird Wings

Editor’s note (March 21, 8:15 am PDT): The authenticity of this video has been questioned (Gizmodo , The Register), but Wired’s preliminary analysis by physicist Rhett Allain suggests the video is not necessarily a fake. We are contacting other experts and will update this post when we have more information. Jarno Smeets has not yet responded to several interview requests.

Let's see where this goes....if true...amazing. Simply, amazing.

edit on 21-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join