It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Flies Like A Bird Flapping His Own Wings..

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISINFORMANT

Originally posted by 12voltz
Good attempt but its never going to happen until he gets his bones replaced with lightweight material and i think he would have flown further without the flapping,it was just creating drag at that speed
Edit .. did you change the video?
edit on 20-3-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

I did change the video. I replaced it with the one from the article.
Here's the video I initially posted with my second post. This is also the video people are looking at and calling hoax:

Looks pretty legit to me..

Clearly CGI. I work with After Effects with my friend when we produce our webshow. This video is fake.

Sorry man.

-TS

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
This is a CGI hoax. I really, really wish it wasn't but it is. One day soon though something similar to this will be possible, I'm no engineer but I wonder if some of the technology being used in the powered exoskeletons like the raytheon Sarcos could be applied to this field.
Some of you may not be aware of the 'snow bird' human ornithopter that was successfully tested a couple of years ago but have a look, its pretty cool, and is powered by foot pedals.
www.youtube.com...
I think that learning a little bit about this working model might make it more apparent to some of you why the videos in the OP are fake.

EDIT - This thread reminds me of the viral 'liquid mountaineering' hoax that a lot of people on this forum fell for hook, line and sinker last year. You can watch that one here www.youtube.com...
At the time people who pointed out how obviously fake it was were called debunkers and naysayers and accused of being jealous of the brilliant visionaries who had accomplished such and amazing feat and then sure enough it turned out to be a viral for waterproof shoes.
just like this will probably turn out to be a viral for red bull or something because "it gives you wings"
The problem is it's easy to convince people of something that they want to believe.
edit on 21-3-2012 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2012 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

A star for you pal, well said!
I remember the Liquid mountaineering...that thing had me laughing soooo hard. I could only imagine fools around the world trying this and failing miserably

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I cannot believe all the arseholes in here giving the OP a hardtime for presenting an excellent video.

Thedisinformant, despite his ugly name, did not mislead with the title. I'm glad it has motors in it! There was a film made in the 70's where a dude built his own wings and he managed to fly across this sports stadium but he ran out of strength and plunged to his death. This is the closest we will get to flying like a bird and it's awesome.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Seriously.
edit on 21-3-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Absolutely stunning piece of engineering, what real creativity is all about - I LOVE the way he got the different known technologies like the Wii motion sensor and got the whole lot to work together - amazing!

But...did he fly...hmm don't think so but nonetheless I love good engineer and design and this had it
edit on 21-3-2012 by old_god because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
I call hoax. As others have posted already, the mechanism being used flaps his wings up and down; a movement that would ultimately stunt lift.

No, no and no. Simply not true. I have several R/C ornithopters and they fly great with nothing more than up and down movement. Here, see for yourself:

I'm not saying this verifies that the vid in the OP is legit, personally I can't imagine it is legit because humans are too heavy and it results in a very unfavorable power-to-weight ratio. But all this talk in this thread that flight is impossible with up and down movement only is verifiably untrue.

That doesn't apply here. Look at the size of those wings necessary to lift the ounces that your ornithopters weigh. Now see if you can lift 180-200lbs with simple "up and down" flapping. I don't think so. Also, that ornithopter's flap is about 200% deeper than the one being used by the lad in the op.

edit on 21-3-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Thanks for that, when you see how birds fly it does make you question this vid. The thing that makes me think it is possibly legit though is that I have used large kites before and they have srious lift in a good gust. I think I should watch the whole documentary to know for sure.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
For all the people out there saying this is a hoax or it wouldn't work because the movement isn't right go look up rc Ornithopter's on YouTube, these types of flying machines use a up and downward motion like a bird to fly. But they are all fixed wing they don't row like a bird like some of you suggest is the only way to achieve flight. I do agree that the hand movement is completely unnecessary though or at least as much as he does. maybe he could do something like a motorcycle throttle the more you turn it the bigger the flap or something. heres a link to a video of one.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 21-3-2012 by bigcountry08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Are you serious ?? You think this is real , for starters it's the most doggy
Looking video , especially just after he takes of with his legs down , buts thats not
The best part , um hello ... No flight controls , birds make it look easy with the flapping
and all , but if you watch them they use there feathers much like ailerons , I even liked
at one stage the right wing dipped , just to gracefully recover back to strait and level ,
amazing truly amazing . I know when you look up at aircraft flying over it looks like
there just nice ,level and graceful, but if you've ever flown an aircraft you would know
that it's constant pilot input to keep it flying strait , that's just for starters , we won't go
Into the fact that he'd need to be super man to flap those wings like that to make enough
power to go aloft , or but hey , you believe what you want to believe .

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Good post OP, I'm glad you got ATS onto this one!

I have no beef with flying physics and all that, as I can't really have a say in that - my knowledge of aerodynamics is limited. But my knowledge of CGI and movie making is not. Anyone who has ever seen a movie could probably tell on video 13/14 the footage is questionable at best (14/14 is less suspect, however the motions of the flyer are still jerky at take off, and his legs move up.... strong breeze?). It's not just the looks of it either. Here's a list of things I thought stood out very easily:

- Lighting effects
- The constant 'loss of focus' of the camera
- The glossy, computer graphic look of the material after the camera man looks down
- The completely jerky and unnatural motion (looks animated) of the flyer when running and jumping (especially the jump action)
- On both video 13 and 14, a person runs at the camera man, and on 14 tells him to film. He has been there the
whole time filming, why say that? and why run at him? Why does the camera man move back on video 13 (where his camera goes to the ground for no apparant reason)

I'm not saying the engineering side of things is fake or that he didn't built it or that it doesnt work. I'm simply going by a filming perspective, and I think its a bit sus.

edit on 21-3-2012 by Acronychal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1

Originally posted by DISINFORMANT
I love the ignore button.

Right. Then you don't have to put up with people making valid points and responding to a legitimate response with the silly little "sprouting wings" comment. Are you really not understanding the point or are you purposely acting infantile about this? So the guy pointlessly flaps his wings, but that's not why he is flying. That's what the motors are doing. The thread title implies human powered flight. If you don't understand this simple concept, then I am truly sorry for you.

Not a legitimate point. The video is real. -_-

I never use texting phrases on ATS but LMAO - the video is real. Like, what more do you want?

Your sensationalizing this whole "title is misleading" thing waaaay too hard.

The wings are his. Sorry. Deal with it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
I call hoax. As others have posted already, the mechanism being used flaps his wings up and down; a movement that would ultimately stunt lift. Take a look at these three clips. One of an owl in flight, the other of a man rowing a boat, the last of geese achieving flight.

Notice how the wings contort to reduce drag...

Now take a look at this guy sculling down the river. Notice how he twists the oar handles to reduce drag across the water...

Even if this guy's wings did twist properly, I would think he'd need a much deeper flap to achieve lift.
Notice how the wings nearly wrap around these geese like an embrace.

edit on 20-3-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

Awesome, but again these are not "bird wings". Their "like bird wings".
Humans haven't gone through millions of years of evolution to fly
exactly like birds. Which is why when he flew, it was in his own way.
With the other videos he's made, it seems real. How can I be 100%
sure its real? I can't....But all we have is the video. And hey, in the
video hes flying.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

Damn I read the person to whom you were replying to, jumped the gun and starred you. You don't get the star, it was a mistake.

Jesus christ people... tell you what, any one of you here who can absolutely build a set of wings, and FLY from a running canter on flat ground with NO drop or lift, and actually maintain flight...

Go back in time and tell all the silly buggers who tried it over and over and over until they came to the conclusion, hey guys we need a plane!

And then even that took years to get decent, and even NOW still crash.

Bloody hell, today I think I lost both braincells and respect for the human race. Man can fly with wings, hey maybe he can!!! It's not like he's ever tried before.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hey, you know what else is real? Bubo

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas
Humans haven't gone through millions of years of evolution to fly
exactly like birds. Which is why when he flew, it was in his own way.

Well you'd think then, that as it has taken evolution millions of years to get creatures to fly using most of their body and then denying them the ability to wander flat ground with any real grace, that bird should have been working out how to fly like humans. Less evolutionary effort, less exhaustion, obviously it can be done, since this guy flew his own way, considering his body is not that of a bird.

Birds should obviously be able to fly with a far less effort, if a silly man can do it?

Why do we have history I wonder... a few hundred years later, people still think the same as they did when people were falling to their death.

Despite everything....

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
reply to post by Vandettas

Damn I read the person to whom you were replying to, jumped the gun and starred you. You don't get the star, it was a mistake.

Jesus christ people... tell you what, any one of you here who can absolutely build a set of wings, and FLY from a running canter on flat ground with NO drop or lift, and actually maintain flight...

Go back in time and tell all the silly buggers who tried it over and over and over until they came to the conclusion, hey guys we need a plane!

And then even that took years to get decent, and even NOW still crash.

Bloody hell, today I think I lost both braincells and respect for the human race. Man can fly with wings, hey maybe he can!!! It's not like he's ever tried before.

What point are you trying to make? That this is a hoax?

Ok, tell you what, I'm NOT going to say this is 100% authentic because I have no proof of that.
One of the things I don't do EVER is blindly accept something. But I will say this :
From what I see in the video, I THINK its real. Seconds after my post that you gave an "accidental star"
to, I posted another reply kind of saying the same thing I'm saying now.

And even if its not real, what scientific evidence does anyone have that says humans can't
build a contraption like this and improve it like we've improved the plane? We're capable
of building a missile the travels at Mach 6 speeds and yet we can't achieve something as
simple as this. And I laugh at all the people who say they lost all hope because someone
doesn't see "CGI" in the video. Shut up. Continue to lose your hope just because someone
doesn't see something the way you see. Provide PROOF of CGI. We can learn.
edit on 21-3-2012 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Wired magazine did an analysis of the video looking for fakery;

Analysis of the Human Birdwings

While they don't make a ruling, they do point out one curious aspect - the video "shakiness" becomes much less pronounced when the man/birdwings takes flight - indicating that portion of the video may be CGI.

Human Birdwings and beyond: 5 of the latest hoaxes the Web has to offer

Incredibly skeptical. Red flags:

1. He’s received criticism about his videos before, but still insists on filming in random parks, only releasing to press after the event, and using blurry/shaky footage.
2. When he takes off, the camera shakes heavily. When he lands, someone steps in front to block the view.
3. At 0:35, his legs lift up so that his body is parallel to the ground (necessary for flight.) If he had been placing his legs on some sort of device for flight, why would the liftup be that smooth?
This would be awesome if it were real, but… just seems fishy.

Human Birdwings Hoax

The fact that the inventor used an empty park, with no witnesses, and a shaky-cam to record it, and has not demonstrated his invention to a real crowd or reporters - FAKE FAKE FAKE.

Just remember the last "engineer" who invented "3D viewing" without 3D glasses. Looks "plausible", so long as you don't look to close. And how many MSM outlets ran with that story like it was fact?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I've been visualizing myself fly -- on my own -- since I was a child, but with my own abilities. I always see myself taking off like Superman (crouching down and building momentum before blasting off). And ever since I read one of the most entertaining threads I've found on here (Indigo people/Spiritual Enlightenment/Superpowers), I've always believed/wanted my ability to be flight. I guess it helps me stay young (I'm 25) to think this way. Sigh.

edit on 21-3-2012 by drakevonz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

edit on 21-3-2012 by drakevonz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Well what I think what we can say is, that in the first video he flew. The first video is suspect in my view. In the second video he glided sporadically. If he could in fact get off the ground from flapping, I don't think anyone would have the stamina to flap long enough to maintain prolonged flight more than seconds. Instead, one would have to use leg muscles to cause the flapping motion to stay airborne, and then for only short flights as fatigue ensued each flight attempt. Just my thoughts. Certainly the second video shows no ascent, but only momentary glides.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I can FIND, tons and tons of articles labeling this a HOAX!

thenextweb.com...

www.mattmontag.com...

boxlar.com...

Here's three enjoy. Clearly a hoax unless birds with broken wings can fly, because regardless of the poor video that isn't how birds fly and like many other viewers stated here has legit problems with even getting off the ground. Not real no debate necessary.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join