It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is just silly.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
mur·der/mərdər/ Noun: The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.
I think it would depend on my state of mind at the time. If someone killed my children, and later I found out who did it....it would be ok for me to murder that son of a bitch, but to others it might not be ok.
edit on 19-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

That is a bad definition.

Are you saying that murder only happens when it is planned ahead of time?

ETA: I agree with the post above. That is another thing I was going to say.
edit on 3-19-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Is this definition more convenient?

1 : the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

mur·der/mərdər/ Noun: The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.
I think it would depend on my state of mind at the time. If someone killed my children, and later I found out who did it....it would be ok for me to murder that son of a bitch, but to others it might not be ok.

Thou shalt not kill.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

Yes it's a little better. It's not always premeditated.

What if you are being mugged? Things happen.
How would you explain war?

I've been there and done that. I've killed to save myself and the guys next to me. I wasn't planning on killing, but that is how events played out. Was it 'evil' that I killed, or was it 'good' the fact that I have saved the lives of others?

So again, 'good' and 'evil' are subjective.
Nothing makes your opinion any more valid than someone else.

Your opinion is not the be all end all. Your opinion is an opinion.
Good and evil do not exist outside of our individual perception of reality.
edit on 3-19-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Thou shalt not kill.

Yeah, the bible only matters to those who grew up believing it is the word of 'god'

something which once again, has not been proven.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Thou shalt not kill.
Oh, I'm not concerened with what the bible says....sorry.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

1. War is unnecessary.

2. No need to be so defensive. We are having a discussion. I did not say my opinion is any more important than yours.

Relax.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Thou shalt not kill.
Oh, I'm not concerened with what the bible says....sorry.

Why? Are you the devil?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

reply to post by paradox

1. War is unnecessary.

I never said it was necessary. But people get put into situations they can not control.

2. No need to be so defensive. We are having a discussion. I did not say my opinion is any more important than yours.

Relax.

I am not being defensive at all. But when you go around calling people the devil because their opinions are different than yours, it makes it kind of hard to take you seriously.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
M'kay.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Why? Are you the devil?
Not that I'm aware of. I should also say that I'm not concerned with what the koran says either about how I should live. Are you concerned about what the koran says on how you should live?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Why? Are you the devil?
Not that I'm aware of. I should also say that I'm not concerned with what the koran says either about how I should live. Are you concerned about what the koran says on how you should live?

very good argument in regards to him calling you the devil for not being concerned with what the bible says. I also am not concerned with the outdated teachings that the books intends to spread.

for example the 10 commandments,... they don't really do much to improve the world other then you shall not kill and you shall not steal. So why do we cling to it? would it not be better to come up with a list of things that are actually harmful in some way instead of saying "You shall have no other gods before me" which is literally the first commandment.

like:

1: no killing
2: no raping
3: no slavery
4: do not engage in sexual relations with a minor
5: do not steal
6: do not abuse your spouse
7: do not abuse your children
8: do not needlessly place others at risk through immoral or thoughtless actions (such as drunk driving)

in reality, the list of things I just said not to do is far FAR more appropriate to the current times, and actually preaches against the issues that are plaguing our society

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Atheism isn't really stupid, it's the way humans are born. Humans aren't born with a belief in any god, they have it implanted in their brain as a child.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
A big part of religious discussions I have a problem with is when people say they believe something, but then say they know something about what they believe.

I think your confusing faith, rather than believing and knowing something about it. To believe and know something about it would not be odd at all, after all you must know of something to believe in it. Faith on the other hand is the expectation of somethings existence based on intangable evidence. Though the point you were trying to make would then be valid.I believe you were referring to the latter.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

that is quite disturbing. you know you would go to prison for that? There is no right way to do the wrong thing...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia
that is quite disturbing. you know you would go to prison for that? There is no right way to do the wrong thing...
Like I said, it depends on my frame of mind. If someone kills my children, the frame of mind I imagine I would be in is to kill the guy who did it. Would I go to prison for it? I'm sure I would, but that guy would be dead.

I'm just speculating that that's how I would react. In reality, I don't know. When something as tragic as that happens to a person, who knows what they would do?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia
Like I said, it depends on my frame of mind. If someone kills my children, the frame of mind I imagine I would be in is to kill the guy who did it. Would I go to prison for it? I'm sure I would, but that guy would be dead.

I'm just speculating that that's how I would react. In reality, I don't know. When something as tragic as that happens to a person, who knows what they would do?

Yes, I can see what you're saying but I just think its time as a whole we get out of this kind of mentality. We live in such a disharmonic state where the governments main goal is to perpetuate the "war on terror" to keep the people in a perpetual state of fear. which in turn allows TPTB to strip away our liberties.

peace is the only way man!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus

Originally posted by satron
A big part of religious discussions I have a problem with is when people say they believe something, but then say they know something about what they believe.

I think your confusing faith, rather than believing and knowing something about it. To believe and know something about it would not be odd at all, after all you must know of something to believe in it. Faith on the other hand is the expectation of somethings existence based on intangable evidence. Though the point you were trying to make would then be valid.I believe you were referring to the latter.

Faith is belief. If you think it's different, you're going to have to elucidate us on that. You don't have to know about something in order to believe it, like fairies and leprechauns. If you believe in the nonexistence of fairies and leprechauns without any evidence to say they don't, you're taking that in faith as well.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by enlaavionsobreelmar
Atheism isn't really stupid, it's the way humans are born. Humans aren't born with a belief in any god, they have it implanted in their brain as a child.

Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist. For someone to believe in the nonexistence of God, they have to be exposed to the idea first. Someone that was born without the notion of God is in a state of ignorance of the subject when it comes to God, because they have no position to exclaim. A newborn's natural state is also to not be able to separate the self from it's surroundings. Just because they are born that way doesn't mean it's the correct way to be.
edit on 20-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join