It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toxic Treats from China Killing US Dogs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Toxic baby food that killed babies Toxic Dog food that killed dogs Toxic lead paint on children's toys

Off topic on your behalf.. I am aware that some Chinese products fall short of western expectations. But until any real evidence is supplied this is just gossip.

Feel free to jump the gun, I will wait until there is real evidence supplied...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
We won't buy any dog food or treats from China

Period.

It's not hard to do the research

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Why would you give manufactured treats in such volume?
The most treat fed dogs (Children too) I have seen are also those with the worst manners. In their dog mind excessive treats make the dog think they are higher in the pack than the owner.
Sit when commanded no treat that is called respect for the owner.
Pulling Timmy out of the well for the third time he fell in (treat)
Pulling Timmy out of the well for the tenth time he fell in (no treat)
Leaving Timmy in the well on the eventh time he fell in (treat - Timmy is Darwin's problem at that point)

BTW My dogs are of a Livestock guardian breed and they both weigh in at over 100# each and were bred to fight off wolves and bears so respect is a must.
I also can read dog body language and if they ask for something (usually a human food product) i will put it in their bowl outside I do not feed by hand.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Toxic baby food that killed babies Toxic Dog food that killed dogs Toxic lead paint on children's toys

Off topic on your behalf.. I am aware that some Chinese products fall short of western expectations. But until any real evidence is supplied this is just gossip.

Respectfully Purplemer... I'm not sure how much more you need... the FDA has already tested and presented the facts on this case and the ban stands to pet foods including this additive is in fact poisonious to animals. Thank goodness to date it hasn't been determined to be to humans consuming the animals, yet... lets wait and see...

As I've said before, where there is smoke, there is fire.... and China is burning...

www.fda.gov...

Melamine Pet Food Recall of 2007
On March 15, 2007, FDA learned that certain pet foods were sickening and killing cats and dogs. FDA found contaminants in vegetable proteins imported into the United States from China and used as ingredients in pet food.
A portion of the tainted pet food was used to produce farm animal feed and fish feed. FDA and the U.S. Department of Agriculture discovered that some animals that ate the tainted feed had been processed into human food. Government scientists have determined that there is very low risk to human health from consuming food from animals that ate tainted feed. All tainted pet food, animal and fish feed, and vegetable proteins continue to be recalled and destroyed.
As a result of FDA and USDA's comprehensive investigation, on February 6, 2008, FDA announced that two Chinese nationals and the businesses they operate, along with a U.S. company and its president and chief executive officer, were indicted by a federal grand jury for their roles in a scheme to import products purported to be wheat gluten into the United States that were contaminated with melamine.

It seems we hardly go a month or two and another product produce in China is shown to be dangerous and or life threatening...

edit on 19-3-2012 by OldCurmudgeon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Before I ran across this thread, I had been talking with two retired couples in an rv park. I was petting their small dogs and hearing stories about their travel buddies, when the couples said that both dogs had gotten very sick after consuming chicken jerky. (I'd never heard of the stuff!) They quit feeding them the treats. I wonder if salmonella was involved.

The couples had talked with other retired rvers about the sick dogs and were now angry and suspicious about Made in China products. One woman said she learned that "distributed by" on a label probably means it's not Made in the USA, and she now looks for country of origin before she buys...doesn't say it, she won't buy it.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

Well, a lot of time you won't know if it's made in China, Mexico, or the United Sates.
I know a certain US cookie company makes their human cookies in Mexico...the packages say "Distributed in the US"
So, a well-known dog treat company says "Distributed in the US"...who's to say where they are actually made....I'll bet lots of money it's not the USA

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

troll harder

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Not trolling sunshine.. I was simply asking for someone to post the science to this. Which another poster kindly did...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Clearly you didn't read all the links I posted

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Heard similar from several freinds, that take the dogs out with them,
here and there, some stores buy these cheap dog treats and give the dogs
a little bite as the owner visits, and shops.

Eventually it adds up, and then they died of kidney failure.

Rule of thumb: you cant be too careful with a pet you love.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Just Google "Toxic imports from China" and you will be flooded with examples year after year. What I would like to know is where is Quality Control? Why isn't there some sort of "Imports must pass US quality and safety standards" BEFORE they reach the public? The FDA is so hot to trot on American items, why not imported? IMO, the US companies selling these products should be held responsible. We should quit using products made in China. There are many more examples than the ones below.

But here, I'll give you some sample snipets from just two sites. Their links are above the snipped info.

economyincrisis.org...

November 22, 2010 - The latest in the long line of toxic Chinese imports appears to be drinking glasses featuring characters from comic books and Disney movies, according to an Associated Press report. The glasses were found to contain as much as 1,000 times the legal amount of lead in a product marketed to children, which is just 0.03 percent. Some of the glasses tested also contained dangerously high levels of the toxic chemical cadmium.

In recent weeks, it has also been revealed that some reusable grocery bags made in China contain an abnormal amount of lead. The bags, which are designed to cut down on waste and be more environmentally friendly than paper or plastic, are receiving heavy scrutiny. “Guess where most of these bags are made? China.

Recently, over 60 million cans and pouches of dog and cat food originating from China were recalled after, by some estimates, 3,600 American pets died from eating foods contaminated with the toxic chemical melamine.

The blood thinner Heparin manufactured in China was also recalled recently by the FDA after it was found to have caused the deaths of 81 American citizens. Authorities believe that the contaminant, oversulfated chondroitin sulfate, a substance that mimics heparin but costs 99 percent less, entered the drug’s supply chain in China.

In the latter half of 2007, over 25 million children’s toys manufactured in China were recalled after they were found to be contaminated with toxic amounts of lead. In that same year, roughly 450,000 tires were purchased from a Chinese manufacturer and sold in the U.S after they were found to be faulty and pose dangers to drivers.

Most recently, millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall were recalled after it was found to emit sulfur gases that ruined numerous air conditioner and refrigerator coils, microwaves, computer wiring, faucets and copper tubing. In addition, rashes, allergic reactions, asthma and sore throats were reportedly caused by exposure to the substance.

theweek.com...

POSTED ON DECEMBER 11, 2009, AT 10:24 AM
Chinese police last week arrested three men suspected of selling 5 tons of poison-laced powdered milk. While authorities managed to seize the tainted foodstuff before it reached store shelves.

In Septmber of last year, the government of New Zealand announced that its testing had found Chinese-made White Rabbit Creamy Candie—sold in America at many Asian markets—contained deadly melamine. The FDA promptly issued a recall of the sweets, and no deaths were reported.

The FDA issued a recall in 2007 of all Chinese-made toothpaste sold in Puerto Rico after Chinese officials revealed some of it contained diethylene glycol, an industrial chemical used in anti-freeze. Tens of thousands of tubes, sold under the brand names Mr. Cool and Excel, were taken off the shelves.

In July 2007, the California Department of Health issued a caution to grocery stores and consumers after abnormally high levels of the pesticide aldicarb sulfoxide were found on ginger imported from China.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, thrice, one hundred times, shame on me!

edit on 21-3-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It's not our imagination that quality control is lacking in China

After resolving teething problems and making products that match specifications, innovation inside the factory turns to cutting costs, often in ways that range from unsavoury to dangerous. Packaging is cheapened, chemical formulations altered, sanitary standards curtailed, and on and on, in a series of continual product debasements.

Mr Midler witnessed large, modern Chinese factories outsourcing work to smaller, grittier, facilities even though this meant forgoing the production benefits from economies of scale. The tiny outfits were in a much better position to skirt environmental controls and safety standards for products and workers.

...there are no rewards in China for whistle-blowing. Most of the people in Mr Midler’s position would not dream of disclosing what they see and many testing laboratories protect their reputation by hiding, rather than revealing, what they test. As a result, if Mr Midler’s perceptions are true, the primary source of discovery will come in the worst possible way—by consumers who buy Chinese products, only to discover their flaws themselves.

source an informative read...mentions the book “Poorly Made in China” by Paul Midler

So, by moving its manufacturing (along with food imports, pharma, etc) to China, the US has gone backwards to the 19th century, with caveat emptor. Such a shame. US citizens deserve better.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join