It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the fastest you have ever driven? Where?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

Got my one and only speeding ticket in that car.

Mine is a 97 with the v8. Can't hardly afford to put gas in it so she just sits and looks pretty.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
220k/ph (approx 136mph) in my old 300zx... I was losing a race with a VK turbo. I wont say which road it was on or even try to guess my blood alcohol content at the time.

I stopped driving fast not long after that.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

I would love to play with the Autobahn before I die. I would especially love to run the Hennessey Venom I drove against a Veyron. Or maybe the new Venom GT.... It's output is adjustable between something like 850-1200BHP and is built on an Exige.

They claim a top speed of 275 MPH. I'd most likely die. With a smile on my face, of course.

Venom GT looks ok but SERIOUSLY they had to stick that engine in such a small car to get the record

With the Veyron at least it looks worth the money you have to pay for it.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
good thread!

125mph - 1998 ford contour SVT

120 something speedo tops out at 80mph - 1982 suzuki GS1100E

120mph - 2004 CBR600RR plan on going WFO 160 top speed if the time is right.

gotta love the feeling of not a thought in your head just focus when your going fast especially on a bike.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

What is the highest speed that you have ever had the courage to reach?

Well OP, the speedometer didn't go that high so I can't be sure ..but dividing mileage by time, I came to a rough estimate of avg to be around 140 mph. That was a Chrysler Laser turbo running from the Rest Area on top of the Halloran Summit to the outskirts of Victorville, Ca. I was 18 and about as stupid as that sounds ...but it was truly unforgettable. I didn't even have a cigarette. It was too much a blur of trucks and cars most of that time to handle the tiny distraction that would have been.

Two things stand out ... One? I was still PASSED by other people. Not many, as you night guess ..but still, a few passed me, despite the speed. My poor little car couldn't go any faster. Two? The Turbo in that car failed entirely just a few months later. No one ever told me you were supposed to let it idle down and cool?? I just parked it, turned the key and went inside when I got to my apartment. Errr... OOOPS.

I've also learned since that tires have speed ratings set on them for possible failure points. I was about 60mph OVER what I figure those tires were rated for. It's probably just as well I was too young at the time to know or care about any of that. Amazing we survive youth, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
160-165ish in a '76 trans am. Speedo said 170, but I'm sure it was off. Held it there from Santa Rosa to Alberquerque NM about 3am one time. Fastest recently was 130 in a BMW X5. Insanity in a SUV. It felt glued to the road though, not scary at all. My cruising speed on my Moto Guzzi Norge is 115-120. Never topped it out. I too scared. Lol.

Oh yeah! I got my old Harley up to 95 once. I'm sure that is a world land speed record on a Harley Davidson. Most break down before reaching top speed. Don't kid me otherwise I'm half owner on a Harley repair shop. Easy money. I ride Italian because I hate working on my own bike. Harley's are job security. Was on run for the wall last week and 25 out of about 150 new fly-by-wire Harley's took a crap in the middle of Arizona, and their riders had to trailer them and go home. There were about 30 BMWs and assorted euro bikes there. Zero had mechanical problems, and had to keep slowing down so the old hogs could catch their breath.

I ride for pleasure not status symbol. If all car and bike enthusiasts did the same the American makers would shape up or go broke.
edit on 3-6-2013 by Binder because: ETA

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Harleys aren't all that bad, the reason you have to work on them more is because it seems that most Harley owners are midlife crisis types that no nothing about maintenance. Granted they're not the best bike in the world by a long shot, but they get a bad rap because of all the ignorant guys that ride them and can't work on them.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

This is true. 50% have no clue how to perform maintenance, and the other 50% have no business doing the maintenance but insist on doing so. The later is a very profitable crowd. It takes 3 times longer to fix everything they screwed up following "billy bad boy's bar buddy" advice than it would have taken to just have it done right the first time.

This does go with the obnoxious alpha male, mid life crisis culture of the riders. I get burned out hearing about Sammy big balls 103 incher that is a "ninja killer." Then when he actually ties into one you hear for weeks about missed gears, and didn't have the DFO tuned right blah, blah, blah. He can't just admit his 1940s engine architecture simply cannot compete with a modern design. The sport bike simply wiped him out, no contest. So if that hurts his feeling go buy a Hyabusa, and kick some butt for himself?

I have 2 bikes for 2 different reasons. One is an old shovelhead Harley tourglide with 300k+ miles and a gajillion upper end rebuilds. No oil leaks, looks awesome, sounds great. It would beat the pants off a new one on reliability minus the need for an upper rebuild every 60k - 70k miles. My Guzzi is for worry free comfortable miles, corner carving, and making serious miles. The Harley is for cruising and PR aka bar hopper points because I am part owner in a Harley shop. A shovel with a third of a million miles that runs perfect is great advertisement.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Fastest I've been is 155 mph (limiter) in an BMW M3 but me driving its only about 135 mph in my old car

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dan151

I did 140 in a brand new X1 today. It was a loaner while my X5 is in the shop getting the windshield treated. It's the 2.8 twin scroll turbo. Unbelievable low end torque from a turbo 4 cyl. It's fast under the turbo lag, it's insane once the turbo spools up. Now I want to drive the 3.5 turbo!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Today I shall purchase a 97 Saab 900SE with an upgraded turbo supposedly pushing 330+hp and 340+torque. I will report back if it's really as fast as he's saying it is. And if I don't die running into something because of what I'm guessing is tremendous torque steer.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
i always like 160 above

----------------------------
how to sell car
selling your used car

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Today I shall purchase a 97 Saab 900SE with an upgraded turbo supposedly pushing 330+hp and 340+torque. I will report back if it's really as fast as he's saying it is. And if I don't die running into something because of what I'm guessing is tremendous torque steer.
A bit late. I'm going to take a guess of 160-165. Decent but not for me.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
165 in a 87.5 toyota supra targa top turbo, against a 2007 or 8 335xi in Idaho. The dealer driving the 335 was pissed when I waxed the floor with him! Unfortunately for me, the excess pressure and overboost caused me to spin the #6 rod bearing, requiring an engine rebuild :'(

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

Had one driving lesson when I was young, went about 5 mph and thought "nah" not for me.
So 5 mph for me
oh and in Manchester UK

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

5mph?? YOU SPEED DEMON!!
j/k j/k some people just arent natural drivers, nothing wrong with that!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by Magnivea

Had one driving lesson when I was young, went about 5 mph and thought "nah" not for me.
So 5 mph for me
oh and in Manchester UK

I take it you never run then

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Only from the ladies

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

boymonkey74

Only from the ladies

Why would you do that?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Been married three times and divorced three times...now I have loads of 18-27 years olds after me at work because they know Iam now off women and happy by myself, I think its a conquest thing.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join