It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the fastest you have ever driven? Where?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I saw a dead thread on an automotive forum I belong to and decided to ask the same here. What is the highest speed that you have ever had the courage to reach?

I've been racing for years and have had the opportunity to drive some amazing cars, so I'm going to leave personal records out of it. What are your own?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I never drive faster than my guardian angel can fly......she can fly fast.....

Des

edit on 10-3-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I've been to 130 mph in a 95 BMW 325i. I slowed down when I started smelling burning rubber.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

240kmh... in a 97 camero Z28...

the Tunnel vision slowed me down once it started..

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Not very fast

About 110 in my VWGTI down 470 in Colorado (speed limit is 75).....
I could have pushed her more.....but my exit was coming up
quickly....

Id love to get on a track...or hang out with top gear guys & the stig on their track...
edit on March 10th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
135mph in a Jaguar XK-E across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

125mph in a 1957 Ford Fairlane down River Road near Puyallup.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
115 mph in a Cavalier.

That was the limit to my ability to hold the steering wheel in place.

Arizona is such a dangerous place if you have a lead foot. Perfectly straight highways and barely any speed traps.If I had a sports car I would of been lethal.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Hm... I'm guessing less than (Z) rated? I'd slow down too.

reply to post by Akragon

Tunnel vision is when it starts to get fun! I do have to say that I personally do not have the testicular fortitude to do much more than that in a Camaro, though.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Not very fast

About 110 in my VWGTI down 470 in Colorado (speed limit is 75).....
I could have pushed her more.....but my exit was coming up
quickly....

Id love to get on a track...or hang out with top gear guys & the stig on their track...
edit on March 10th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

I think the GTI is limited to 140, but I'm not sure. Either way you had a hell of a lot more to go. Those are very nice for commuter cars, especially when a "tuned" Honda has decided he's probably faster in the other lane.

As for the Top Gear track, I'd love to get a couple of my cars on that. Especially my 97 Riviera, only to see how long it would take to slide off into the grass.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I used to have a Plymouth Satellite with a speedo that went up to 140. You could peg it and still had some more juice, I tested it a few times.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
76 corvette. 120. pretty much wouldn't go above it (they are more of a 0-60 car verses top speed).

I got nervous after about 3 minutes at that speed and came back down...those older cars, you really felt the speed.

Now adays, I find I am constantly having to speed up to hit the speed limit..my how times change when you start having things to go home to.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
167 MPH in my 2010 camaro on a stretch of interstate in East TX at night. Then shifted to neutral and killed the headlights for about five seconds...... awesome rush.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
In high school my parents had a Jaguar xjs I would drive to school. I took it to 125-130 on a freeway section that I shouldn't have....so irresponsible. lol

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Long distance is more meaningful. I once drove a Lincoln Continental from Ft Lauderdale to Newport RI in fifteen hours. Averaged 98 including stopping for gas.

Another time I rode in my buddy's Boss 302 Mustang from Daytona to Greenwich CT in thirteen hours. Averaged 82 including stopping for gas.

Both times we had Fuzzbusters, of course.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
reply to post by trollz

Hm... I'm guessing less than (Z) rated? I'd slow down too.

reply to post by Akragon

Tunnel vision is when it starts to get fun! I do have to say that I personally do not have the testicular fortitude to do much more than that in a Camaro, though.

Actually i wasn't driving... i was the passenger. That was the fastest i've been moving in any road vehical though... And it was pretty scary considering it was a 2 lane highway, with oncomming trafic. We actually were headed to a party, and passed a group of friends that left 25 mins earlier... we had to finish our beer before we left.... *sigh* dumb teenagers eh

The fastest i've done as a driver was 190 in a little mazda 626... THAT was dumb, and much more terrifying!!

Im shocked the damn thing didn't explode

edit on 10-3-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
I used to have a Plymouth Satellite with a speedo that went up to 140. You could peg it and still had some more juice, I tested it a few times.

I learned from my father, and that's where my propensity for racing came from. He had a 70 Challenger that ran mid 9s when he could keep the front end down. We never figured out top speed, the speedometer maxed and just kept going. We hit 140... Then we went back around to 6mph. I'm not sure I'd like to ever find out what the speed really was.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
All I've ever driven is a 50cc moped that only does 29. Siiiigh lol.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Ha ha "dumb teenagers eh" doesn't really apply here. I'm far from a teenager and still like to top out whatever I drive. I just did a top speed run of my dad's Malibu SS the other day. I was horrified to find out it was limited to 115.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

Actually that was well over 10 years ago...

The fastest i'll go now is about 160

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

That may not be a bad thing, i have gotten four speeding tickets this year.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join