It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the fastest you have ever driven? Where?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
driving across country (USA) with my sister and her hippie friends. They played Alanis Morissette the whole way. I went insane. Then we reached the desert land of the west. They fell asleep in the car while I was driving. They made us go under 55 the whole way. One of my sisters friends was really a pain in the ass about it. She had a motion sensor in her head I think. It was nuts.

So anyways, they all fall asleep with me at the wheel. I find my bad ass highway cop sun glasses and the radio just happened to play that classic desert song, can’t remember the name of it. Anyways, I was almost insane at this point, we left from NYC and we were about to enter the Rockies. I put the pedal down and got that POS up to 140 MPH. There was no one else on the road and it was perfectly straight for miles and miles.

Best drive of my life....

Then they woke up, changed the music, driver, speed and state of fun......they also made us waste a full day going "to see Aspen"....which was lame.

edit on 24-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

123 kms an hour on the freeway until I got a speeding ticket. Speedlimit was 110km.

One day I am going to try and go a bit faster than 123 km p h, maybe try 125 km p h.

I have a Nissan 350Z and I know I should drive faster than the speed limit cos the car can certainly go faster than that but I don't like to break the law.

I have all my points on my drivers licence

oh and I don't want to be scraped off the road after an MVA... worst one I heard, the poor Ambo had to pick up someones Jaw from the road. Think about the people who have to clean your mangled body up if you have a car accident.
edit on 24/12/2012 by Thurisaz because: add

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
driving across country (USA) with my sister and her hippie friends. They played Alanis Morissette the whole way. I went insane. Then we reached the desert land of the west. They fell asleep in the car while I was driving. They made us go under 55 the whole way. One of my sisters friends was really a pain in the ass about it. She had a motion sensor in her head I think. It was nuts.

So anyways, they all fall asleep with me at the wheel. I find my bad ass highway cop sun glasses and the radio just happened to play that classic desert song, can’t remember the name of it. Anyways, I was almost insane at this point, we left from NYC and we were about to enter the Rockies. I put the pedal down and got that POS up to 140 MPH. There was no one else on the road and it was perfectly straight for miles and miles.

Best drive of my life....

Then they woke up, changed the music, driver, speed and state of fun......they also made us waste a full day going "to see Aspen"....which was lame.

Son .. if you ever put somebody else in that kind of danger you will never ever live it out.

Do it on YOUR OWN !!

Fun you say ? You have your Sis and friends .. LOL .. your NOT the Friend here mate.

You are just simply Irresponsible. Next time leave your family/friends at home when you what to do something stupid like going 100+ off track.

IMHO..

JG.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jaduguru

look ugy, the road was perfectly straight. There was no one else on the road and I didnt go 200 miles an hour.(off track?)

Relax.

EDIT:

Those are safer conditions than anything people have or will post here. You guys are driving on open roads with other traffic, so you are not alone.

I am a VERY responsible driver and this was one of the few times I allowed myself to go over the speed limit. I am a near perfect driver. I have been in several accidents while not at the wheel and almost died several times. I would not have done this if it was not perfect conditions and the vehicle was in perfect condition as well. Sooo

ease off.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
147 MPH.

1966 Chevelle SS

396 CID.

Martin, Mi.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
71 camaro with a 350 vet engine. Just over the spedo max reading of 140. Was a passenger in a 61 wildcat convertible with a non working speedometer that flew by an Olds going a hundred forty. The Rag sure makes a lot of noise at that speed. That's the fastest I've gone in a car.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
210 km/h, about 128 mph in my 1984 BMW 528i.
Somewhere in the Netherlands.
What a deathtrap that was, especially if you're not such a good driver like me.
Wrecked it after a month, set me back 6000 euro back in '89.
Live & learn (if you survive).

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
reply to post by jaduguru

Those are safer conditions than anything people have or will post here. You guys are driving on open roads with other traffic, so you are not alone.

Quite a few of us only use tracks and/or closed courses. I personally use private roads and tracks. And of course dirt/gravel/mud/ice courses. I speed, yes. If I'm driving somewhere I'm in a hurry, almost no exceptions. I'm in upstate NY though, so if you keep it under 15mph over the limit you generally don't get bothered. I usually do about 5 over.

Only one of my top speed runs was on a highway and that was a closed section of interstate outside of Albany, NY. I'm fairly certain that it was OK considering there was no one else on the road and I had a State Trooper at the 3/4 mark shooting radar just before I needed to back off and slow down for the exit.

Also, I don't mean to come off as cocky but I've raced/run some of the most famous tracks and drag strips in the world and have never had an accident (well one but that was just dumb on another driver's part). I have NEVER had another person in the car unless they wanted to be or needed to be.

What I'm getting at is that while many people here confess to doing this on the highway, I'm sure just as many visit tracks or closed courses (hell, I have 24/7 access to one I partially financed). It's not hard to rent one or visit on an open run day either. This isn't just directed at you, zedVSzardoz (just to clear that up). This is to everyone posting comments about racing/driving fast.

tl;dr: Not all of us willfully risk others lives whether they think they are or not. Some of us are actually pro or semi pro. Don't lump us all together because of some unsafe people.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

I hear you.

I am from NY as well. You really cant speed where I am from since even the smaller highways are thoroughly patrolled. What some people did when I was in HS was block off traffic for 20 minutes at like 4 AM when maybe 1 car would pass every hour. They did it on what was an old private track, the Sprain brook Pkwy. They raced up until a certain point where they knew no exits let other traffic on. The cops got wind and ended up clamping down.

It was dumb either way, but you are right about not speeding with people who are not willing participants, but you have to understand, this was miles upon miles of straight lines, in a new car, on perfect roads, in perfect conditions. I wouldnt have gone that fast if it was not safe. I have been in some accidents as a passenger and I am actually pretty anal about people speeding. I have gotten out of cars and walked because people were driving recklessly. I have almost died too many times in my youth by dumb ass drivers.

I understand where you are coming from.

edit on 2-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

I do. And I must admit that driving through the roads on the way through/around death valley are very easy to be tempted by. I took an R8 5.2 through there.... A few times I looked down to see 100+. To be fair though there are no landmarks to gauge your speed on and it's an amazing thing to look around at when you're from this part of the country.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I like to test the top speed in all vehicles I drive lol so i have quite a few:
2008 Ford Focus - 120mph
2006 Impala (police package)- 120 mph
2008 Tahoe ( police package) - 140mph
2005 kawasaki ninja 600cc - 215mph had alot of aftermarket parts could have went higher but it felt like it was trying to come off the ground i got a bit scared
1996 firebird - 120mph a bit dissapointed at it, but still working on restoring it so maybe it will do better

and my favorite unknown year uhaul tops out at 95mph but was also fully loaded going down a mountain racing a buddy of mine in a tc he won but its acceleration was slightly slower so i kept up with him till about 80 mph

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
113mph in my friends toyota yaris, this thing was flat out and shaking.
On the motorway in central Scotland.

I don't have a licence so haven't driven anything faster

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Just over 140 mph trap speed 1/4 mile in my Camaro.

Been 100 or so on the street in various cars.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I have driven 160km/h in a transport, from Mississauga ON. to California.
One time drove 240km/h in my 1983 Toyota Supra.
VROOM VROOM!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
On my own? 120 in my darlin's modified 1973 240 Z. As a passenger - 145 in the same car with her driving, both on Highway 1 up the California coast from S.F. She used to race at (then) Sears Point. We always used to use Highway 1 to test out modifications and such. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Musical support for this thread:

Great Rif/Lyrics!

Nihaa!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I enjoyed the video... My mother had a 1954 Lincoln Capri Coupe and my father drove a 1953 Studebaker Commander V8 Coupe when I was a kid.. Both were fast cars and popular in the Mexican road race... I've been over 130MPH in a few cars and motorcycles I've owned... The most recent has been a 2006 Honda Fit which is my first Japanese car that I have done performance modifications to... It has a long list of bits and pieces that have set me back about $12000 give or take a few hundred and there will be more spent as I continue to wrench on it.... After market boost is costly... Maybe I should cut back but making a lot of power come out of a little engine is a lot of fun to me.. Besides, all of the young guys that are into tuner cars get a kick out of seeing a 63 year old man smoking the front tires of a little econobox up to 60MPH while a guy in a Mini, Civic SI or American performance car is attempting to catch up...

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
That I drove? 140 mph in my Ford Taurus SHO

but I have been driven faster than that...On a Nascar racetrack.
My father was a flagman for Nascar for over 30 years as well as a professional photographer for their magazine.
So, I got to know many of the drivers.
Fastest I have ever been driven...180+

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BreathOfFreshAir

That I drove? 140 mph in my Ford Taurus SHO

Its weird, I just found this thread, thought Id post about a Ford Taurus thinking that no one would have any high speeds with them, and the very most recent post has a Ford Taurus mentioned

About 10 years ago I went from Annapolis to DC on Rt 50 in about 10 minutes with an unmodified 94 Ford Taurus. The distance is about 22 or 23 miles. The speedometer didnt go above 85, but the needle keeps going all the way to the bottom

I could only estimate how fast I was going judging by how quickly the road lines were moving past me... I would guess 125 - 130 at the fastest point. The lines were just blazing by. 4th gear was never good at holding speed, so it had to be done in third gear the whole time, pedal to the floor. It just kept going, and going, and going! No RPM gauge on that car either, unfortunately
, but it was loud, and probably at dangerous RPM levels for that particular engine.

I had a full tank of gas when I left, and when I arrived, I had used 1/4 of it. I think the tank was 16 gallons. So I used 4 gallons of gas in 10 minutes

Looking back, Im surprised the engine didnt blow a gasket, a tire didnt explode, it didnt overheat, and that no cop saw me while doing it....

My current vehicle has a governor on it, so it cant get above 100

edit on 1/20/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
130 mph in an up-armored SUV on highway between Kuwait border and Basra Iraq.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join