It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people so proud of their race?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Why are people so proud of their race?

On first glance, my thoughts would be that it is certainly better to be pleased, or even proud of who and what you are, than be ashamed. Just as none of us had any (apparent) choice in who we are as birthed, we therefore should carry no shame in anything reflected from others like us.

In sum, just because you are purple and a lot of purple people killed a lot of green people a thousand years ago, does not mean that you are apt to kill. Just the same, if a purple person invented the world's first coffee creamer, you really can't claim any of that for yourself, either.

But we do tend to follow these paths. Racism exists in every color because that is part of the human condition. Our challenge is to rise above ourselves, not embrace its lowest portions... but, like I said, we do that all the time lol.
edit on 9-3-2012 by redoubt because: typo

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Let's not over analyze things. Much as some would like us all to have a uniform greyness, I actually like cultural and colour differences. You can celebrate your heritage without denegrating others.
What a boring world it would be if it was full of identikit humans. Hey maybe we should go further! Ban differences in intelligence and talent for example.
Would you like it to happen to your pet dog? No more different breeds, sizes, shapes, colours, characteristics...
No? Well don't wish it on the human race then.
edit on 9-3-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

So you are in favour of racism and discrimination based on skin colour?

If you can agree it's ok to see the positives to the difference then you must allow people to also not only see but remark on the negatives too.

I mean why have the term black or white ayway apart from when you are attempting to describe a particular person, like hair colour, eye colour etc.

Having black this white that just throws people into groups that seperate us into sub-groups which doesn't really mean anything beyond skin colour.

I terms of fighting predudice and racism, why promote and encourage difference through pride and celebration of that difference?

edit on 9-3-2012 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by FlyersFan

NOT ALL CULTURES ARE WORTHY OF BEING PROUD OF.

and what cultures do you deem unworthy of being proud of...

It's not what I deem worthy or unworthy .. it's just common sense and basic humanity. Cultures not worthy of being proud of ... those that engage in slavery .... those that engage in brutality towards women ... those that engage in infanticide ....

Would YOU be proud of your culture if it engaged in slavery or brutality towards women or infanticide, etc etc?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Because you have common traits that are excellent for survival, and a pride in that survival? Billions of years of survival training and tribal alliances to achieve it, and there you are. Brilliant.

The problem really isn't that you are proud of being alive and what got what is sitting in your cells here. The problem is when you fail to see what is worthy in others.

You are trying to solve the wrong problem. Pretend it doesn't exist, and doesn't matter and suddenly there will be no problems.

But your mind doesn't really work that way, even if you want to pretend it does. You still identify with organizational units of genetics and culture, with varying degrees. You have to. That's is what makes you human. It is the basis of what made a species that should have gone extinct many times over instead thrive. Why you aren't a chimpanzee.

edit on 2012/3/9 by Aeons because: I seem to be channelling thread killer still

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I am proud of my cat.

It likes to meow at me when I have some food.

I am also proud of Wii. Outsold Xbox360 and PS3.

...See how silly that is?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I am deeply offended by this post. I dont go around Judging people based on their Race or Skin Color, I judge them by their Behavior. Who are you exactly to tell people what to be proud of? I am proud of my Race, My Culture, and my Heritage of near 10,000 years of history, Our Achievements and immense Contributions to the Human Kind in every way.

Do you really think race or religion is the problem that causes all the wars? You talk about wars? If there wasn't Race or Religion people would find 'other reasons' to start wars and murder and loot each other. Its what we humans who are in power have been doing since the dawn of time. Some more than the others. The so called 'War on Terror' ring a bell? Millions of people getting murdered and their natural resources being stolen?

Not all Men are Born Equal, Just like Not All Computers are made Equal, Just Like Not all Cars or houses are Made Equal. Not cultures or races(if you will) are equal. What is a Race or a Culture? Its what teaches us our values and morals. Some higher morals and values than the other. I Myself Despise the 'MODERN' shallow version of the American / Western Culture. But I have a lot of appreciation for American Culture from the 30's - 50's for example, before all the 21st century liberal and feminazi B$.

Sure, Like Most people out side America and the Western Liberal World, I too hold my prejudices, I am not a saint. And I am not afraid to admit it. I dont like War Mongers, Bigots, Zionists and dislike westerners in general (people like yourself, no offense) I also very much dislike a certain minority in america responsible for most of their crimes, And I myself and our family would never wish to mix with these groups I talk about because they stand against everything we stand for.

But you must understand that this deep dislike and my despise comes from their actions, behavior, traits and what I have experienced and see on a daily basis. It HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH your race, religion or skin color. Just Because you convert a mass murderer to say Hinduism Buddhism, Islam or Christianity doesn't instantly make him a good person, You can Paint him Green and Blue, Still doesn't change the fact he is a mass murderer and a criminal with lower values than me.

So Dont come around looking down at us, perching your love and light and everybody is equal liberal propaganda message. I am Proud of my Race, Culture and Heritage, and me and my people will always be proud of who we are and nobody is going to change that. We haven't Started a single war in the last few hundred years,
while you westerners sit down, perch and pretend to hide your ignorance while your so enlightened leaders have been responsible for the deaths of hundreds of millions over the last 100 years.

edit on 9-3-2012 by coirener because: formated bb code

edit on 9-3-2012 by coirener because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Be proud of something YOU accomplish, and don't be proud of an act of randomness.

Yes be proud of what you've accomplished for sure, but I'm also proud that I am the same
race that navigated the oceans, created philosophy, science, mathematics, medicine & great
works of architecture. Not to mention great kings, conquerors & inventors.

Everyone should be proud of what they are & the accomplishments of their their ancestors.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by coirener

I am deeply offended by this post. I dont go around Judging people based on their Race or Skin Color, I judge them by their Behavior.
]

Ha.
I think you just contradicted yourself, while proving the very point the Op was trying to make.

Think about it.
People should judge themselves and others based on behavior, nothing else.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I am gointg to assume by your posts that you are from the US. If I am in correct please forgive me for my assumptions.
May I ask if you are proud of your culture... You stated....

It's not what I deem worthy or unworthy .. it's just common sense and basic humanity. Cultures not worthy of being proud of ... those that engage in slavery .... those that engage in brutality towards women ... those that engage in infanticide ....

The Us has the largest military machine in the world and it uses it to topal democracies world wide. Thiis is widely documented. It has facilitated through the use of tools like the WTO, IMF and the WB to keep many third world nations in a perpetual state of economic poverty. This has in effect created third class slave nations to produce goods for first world nations.
The Us is deemed to be the most over sexualised culture on earth turning women into mere objects and is happy to kill its own unborn citizens... Is the US a culture one should be proud own or not...?

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

If I found a dollar on the street or sidewalk, I would most definitely say it to the would and be proud of it, and kids and teenagers and adults are proud of it all the time, so Yes, I do see it

top topics

<< 1   >>

join