It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
..gosh, so what's next?...'they' gunna ask you what kind of music you listen to, what kind of movies do you watch, what kind of books do you read......

Yes.

Information is power.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Oh just wait for the time when not having a Facebook Account is going to make you look like you have something to hide by not having one. You'll be branded as untrustworthy and suspious.

If your old I guess you really don't give a crap who knows what. You know how old people are. They will say anything. I don't give a crap because there so old whose going to tell them anything. There so old what cha going do? lol Unless your a bunch of ole men from GA planning to throw ricin out a window going down the highway. They'll come and get you but hell that would go for anyone doing something like that.

So maybe one day it's just old people on FB because there too old to care....lol

Young people will need to become professional hackers so they can protect there privacy.

Hint: If you can learn the system. You can beat it.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
When will people learn that EVERYTHING you put down in print, whether it's a letter in the days of old, or an email, or now posting on a forum it is all written in concrete to be used against you at anytime from now to eternity.... lol

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
reply to post by nixie_nox

Then you have a moral decision to make. Do you want to work for a company that violates the first amendment?

...I don't want to live in a country that violates the First Amendment - but I do.

There are few to NO jobs available. The real questions are:

1. What are the options?

and

2. How do we create more and better alternatives?

post by nixie_nox
These things happen all the time. Sometimes the agencies and companies are caught, sometimes they are not.

What is really hard is to get people to call them on it when they are.

And a lot of people don't know their own rights.

But agencies do come under fire for civil rights violations.

And I have had to face these deciions myself, and they are difficult.

The point is, demanding a password is illegal, but extorting "friend" status isn't - especially if it happens during an interview. …People are complying because they really have no other options.

Maybe a legal case can be made to define the practice as extortion - but as you say, these decisions are "difficult" - and few people are in a position to pursue legal action (unemployment, looming bankruptcies and foreclosures, etc.).

So we're back to my questions:

1. What are the options? [Rhetorical - there aren't many, if any.]

2. How do we create more and better alternatives? [Dead serious.]

With respect and thanks,
sofi

edit on 6/3/12 by soficrow because: format

1. If a company or agency is doing illegal practises, you can report them to the EEOC, DOL, ACLU, or DOJ.

Sometimes it might be enough to warrant an investigation. And they will do this somewhat anonymously.

My situation was a tough one. I was not hired by a company because I was a woman, though I was in this field and more then enough experience for the job. (how i found out is a long story)
I had my suspicions when the owner of the company kept asking me if I had trouble working with mostly men.

Problem is, that the field was small at the time. I could of easily pursued it legally. But that could also put me on the black list.

I ended up not pursuing it.

BUT, what I did do is inform all the other professionals in the field, some who were my professors, of what the company was doing, so they could steer any potentials away from that company. So I ended up handling it on my own.

IN the article, a lawyer is already involved so it seems that legal action is being taken.

And its seems that the state is even taking issue with this and drawing up legislation.
So enough complaints can solve it on its own.

I am a resident of Maryland, so this story upsets me.

This story surprises me. The state has strict legislation that any media cannot be used as evidence in court.

So if your in the middle of a divorce and go on to fb and say that you are prostituting yourself for money that you need, it still can't be touched.

And I think the state is pretty progressive like that, so I am confident that the legislation will be passed.

Now for other states, I can't speak for them.

Interesting discussion on this thread btw.

edit on 6-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Starred your way of thinking, and post!

Kinda makes me want to go and give them my Facebook info just so I can sue! That would teach them and make them change policies in a hurry!

Make it real easy for them to fire you as well by talking politics with an EXTREME viewpoint as well as religion! Then badmouth the job to no end about how little they pay, and how the boss is always sexually harassing me!

link   
reply to post by AuranVector

Originally posted by AuranVector

That's what I did when Facebook froze my account and demanded my personal info, including ID. I said delete my account please but they didn't - and I still get a mailbox full of Facebook crap - with no access to my own account.

Would you run that by me again? I'm not on FB so I don't know how it works. Are you saying you are not allowed to erase your info when you quit?

It's a little more complicated. ...I finally set up an account last year using phony info - soficrow's not my real name, used a fake birthday, etc. Apparently, my big mistake was getting too many "friends" too fast (from ATS, other internet contacts) - Facebook flagged my account and froze it. I couldn't re-gain access because I forgot what birthday I'd entered, and couldn't ID my friends' photos as requested (half didn't even have faces, but I couldn't have done it anyway). Ended up emailing Facebook, and they demanded that I provide my real identity, birthdate etc - with documents proving same. I refused - and never regained access, even to delete the page.

...I never put anything personal on Facebook, and deleted friends' personal posts - but because I don't have access, have no idea what might be there now.

link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

As the old saying goes: if you wouldn't shout it from the church steps, you shouldn't put it on the internet.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I have a facebook and I listed my religion as Rastafarian. That is public information but I am certain that an employer or even law enforcement could use that information against me, be it more 'random' drug screens or something far more sinister. Frankly I don't care, I am not scared, and I am not afraid to stand up for what I believe in.

Whats funny is I use a fake last name, I am from Columbia.

I have friends message me going: I didn't know you were from Columbia!

When did you change your name?

clueless...

Now this is a little off topic but you know what kills me? The usb ports from insurance companies you can plug into your car so they can record you and give you discounts for being a "safe driver"

edit on 6-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by theclutch
People can combat this easily! Start another account, a dummy account of sorts that has nothing but rainbows and cats in it!

I do believe somewhere deep in the NDAA bill is a clause that considers fake facebook accounts fraud and a felony. If its not NDAA it is another bill. I am sure it was already been discussed on ATS, if I find the thread I will post it.

Found it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Department of Injustice wants to do this under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act(CFAA).

Such violations would include creating a fake Facebook profile, lying about your weight on dating websites, or providing any other item of false information that violates a website’s TOS agreement.

edit on 6-3-2012 by jrod because: addon

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

….. I could of easily pursued it legally. But that could also put me on the black list.

I ended up not pursuing it.

….handling it on my own.

I've done that too, for similar issues - but this one seems to be getting rather pervasive, and judging by some of the commentary here, accepted as not just inevitable, but legitimate.

...a lawyer is already involved so it seems that legal action is being taken.

And its seems that the state is even taking issue with this and drawing up legislation.
So enough complaints can solve it on its own.

I am a resident of Maryland, ….the state is pretty progressive like that, so I am confident that the legislation will be passed.

Now for other states, I can't speak for them.

But the Constitution is Federal - doesn't it follow that protecting First Amendment Rights is a Federal responsibility?

And again, few people are in a position to pursue legal action (unemployment, looming bankruptcies and foreclosures, etc.).

1. What are the options? [Rhetorical - there aren't many, if any.]

2. How do we create more and better alternatives? [Dead serious - not everyone has the professional skills to handle things on their own, and I think the Constitution exists especially to protect the already vulnerable.]

Interesting discussion on this thread btw.

And civilized too. Delightful.

Great contributions btw - S&

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

...This really comes down to presentation in the interview. Are you confident and able to project that,while establishging boundaries and without alienating the potential employer? If so, that shows you can play the politics of the job and that also is a good quality in an employee. This is about attitude and presentation. How do you package yourself?

Business Schools are teaching strategies to students now, people will know how to handle these situations as as they crop up more and more. Those who don't adapt, will be left behind or seek employment where it is not an issue.

I do not post any personal information on the Internet - not even my real name or birthday. That said, I agree that our world is becoming astoundingly "connected," and all information-age professionals need to be able to navigate -and use- the potential. To their own and their employers' benefit.

But the fact remains, these actions are unconstitutional. Perhaps those at risk here are not the professionals, but the ordinary joes, maybe the 95% if not the 99%? ...What about them?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Still, I have friends who have multiple accounts, and I have more than One! I also have a business account. Many people who are addicted to those garbage games, have multiple accounts. Wouldn't it be an invasion of my privacy to even know if I have more than one account? I also have multiple you tube accounts under totally fake names. Why would I want the trolls to have my real info? Some Youtube members have been stalked to their homes.

Our only defense is our Anonymity sometimes, just to protect ourselves from other people!

Reminds me of when I got a job last year, just for fun. I deleted everything on facebook for my "Real" me and youtube accounts. They told me after I got the job a few months, that they did search for me on those sites. Good thing I doctored those accounts real good before hand!
LMAO They also told me because of my accounts they thought I'd be a good "FIT" So I know first hand how social sites can effect a job search!

edit on 6-3-2012 by theclutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

It's a little more complicated. ...I finally set up an account last year using phony info - soficrow's not my real name, used a fake birthday, etc. Apparently, my big mistake was getting too many "friends" too fast (from ATS, other internet contacts) - Facebook flagged my account and froze it. I couldn't re-gain access because I forgot what birthday I'd entered, and couldn't ID my friends' photos as requested (half didn't even have faces, but I couldn't have done it anyway). Ended up emailing Facebook, and they demanded that I provide my real identity, birthdate etc - with documents proving same. I refused - and never regained access, even to delete the page.

...I never put anything personal on Facebook, and deleted friends' personal posts - but because I don't have access, have no idea what might be there now.

Thanks for explaining that. May I suggest you keep a hardcopy of your online accounts with all that info -- i.e. fake birthdates, etc. on hand.

Someone told me of having his PayPal account hacked into -- a real nightmare -- had to kill the bank account & credit card PP had. But he had given PP a fake SSN (he figured they didn't need to know) -- so he didn't have to worry about that being stolen by this particular criminal hacker. Smart choice -- one less thing to worry about.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

abandon facebook and twitter, if you value any privacy. send the message back "no thanks!"

That's what I did when Facebook froze my account and demanded my personal info, including ID. I said delete my account please but they didn't - and I still get a mailbox full of Facebook crap - with no access to my own account.

yeah my wife and i had facebook for about two months until we realized we didn't use it and friends kept leaving messages on there for us. we left a final message before we deleted the account, "if you need us, call us or visit the old fashioned way" because we don't look at this thing but once a month. lol

if people really feel the need to us facebook or the like, do yourselves a favor and have a real one and a fictitious one you can use for voicing your opinions.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Thats why I am really a 14 year old girl on Facebook who goes by the name of Ashleigh Tinsdale and likes Justin Bieber, teXting, and doing my nails and talking on the phone, and Ugg boots.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Seems the answer is to drop out of facebook, twitter etc.etc.
What would happen then, will an applicant be forced to join these social media sites again??

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I'm a former Nigerian 419 scammer on Facebook. Created a bogus account years ago to investigate the real scammers that we would run across. I deny all friend requests, and only have 1 bogus photo. I post from time to time, but that's it. I never log into the account unless I'm logging in via a proxy, or via a WiFi hotspot on my burn laptop.

In short, they can have MY password, but since I have no account, they're not getting anything. All my details are on Linkedin, and if they want to contact former coworkers or anything else, they are more than welcome to. If they are looking for my opinions, they're never going to find it.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by soficrow

It is blatantly illegal

Yes!

and I am sure they will be hearing from the Feds.

.......No.......

edit on 6-3-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Even though this is horrible, it is not illegal unless it is a state government job or a state run university. A private organization, such as a university or business can set any requirements they wish as a means of qualification, because they are PRIVATE organizations. If you don't like it, then seek employment elsewhere, or seek an educational/athletic opportunity elsewhere. As far as a state job or university is concerned, they still must adhere to the fourth amendment, but the fourth amendment only limits what government can't do, not a private organization.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Dangit you beat me too it lol. This really takes an interest in my mind because how can they ask for acess to personal information. Whats next medical records etc?

IDEA BULB*** = make a dummy facebook account and have absolutely professional people that you like as friends lol
edit on 083131p://3America/ChicagoTue, 06 Mar 2012 08:17:49 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

in 2000 I served our fine Nation in the Gulf. When I got back my union rep told me that my wife had been to the Dr office and what her visit was about. I do not remember when the Hipa law took affect.

the marriage didnt last long after I found out about the visit.

How did the Union Guy know about the Dr?. insurance was the common......true story

is walk the strait and narrow the answer? Maybe good thread
edit on 6-3-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join