It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by soficrow

It doesn't matter, they are not even ALLOWED to ask for personal information.Voluntary or not.

Much less tell you that it is a choice but you won't do as well in the interview.

Interviewers are not allowed to ask you personal information whatsoever. They are not allowed to ask you if your married, have children, what health issues you have, nothing.

It is blatantly illegal and I am sure they will be hearing from the Feds.

edit on 6-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

Sure it's illegal, but the feds are already using FB to spy on people! Somehow, I don't see them stepping in unless someone forces the issue. Of course, the better solution wold be for ALL to tell these employers, universities, etc, where to put their request! Problem is, a lot of people won't, because they want the job, and others will be foolish enough to think it is alright.

The world goes a little more insane by the day.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I don't have an account with any social media at all and never will.

Interesting that while my husband works for the government, every year when his security clearance comes due for review within the questions and answers he most write, includes any E-mail accounts that are not related to government site

But it doesn't stop there, it also includes me that have nothing to do with his job.

I tell him that my E-mail is none of the government business, so far he just answer that he don't have any E-mails beside the government one.

No problems so far.

The military has ways of demanding things as well. In early 2009, right after someone took office, they started asking for military people that lived OFF POST to register their guns ON POST. Claimed it was "required". Never was before! I told my husband he could tell them the guns are all mine, and that they can *bleep* off.

HIS emails, I could see, for a clearance, but yours? NO WAY. Those, they have no right to.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
Looks like Facebook is being seen as a pretty effective tool to "profile" people.

Thats why it belongs to the cia...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I think this is a diversion. The government agencies who want you to hand over your password, etc can already get access to your facebook account if they really want to. This is just more conditioning, programming.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Being a Brit who is very wary of the European Union I don't normally say this; but I'm glad I live in Europe! European privacy laws are, I believe, much stronger than those in the United States, and for that I am thankful. In the UK, for example, we may be the most observed people by CCTV when out in public, but our personal data is well protected by law. I can imagine that if any prospective employer or education official demanded your personal passwords here in the UK or Europe, they would promptly be hauled before all kinds of tribunals and courts, and face a hefty fine.

Take note America - I often see people on ATS and 'the other' site talk about Britain and Europe being 'police states' but from what I keep reading (especially about privacy, discrimination and transport security) the USA is where the real danger is.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Oh Wow! Privacy just doesn't have the same meaning anymore! But then again, anyone sharing all their "private" info online needs a lesson in privacy just what can happen when that is compramised. I do have facebook. I got no info on it aside from some likes and friends, nothing else. I use it as a way to keep in touch with people I've not seen in ages, not to update them on what I had for dinner lol!
Not to mention what they do to smartphone users Facebook reads your texts. No intention of derailing thread, just thought that would add weight to the OP's post/argument.
The internet is the last "Free Zone" we have and they are trying to take it from us. Don't give em the info, don't give em the satisfaction....easy to say I know, but my boss threatend me unless I gave em access to my medical records. I laughed in his face and said "And when I say no....?" We ALL need to stick to our guns on this and tell em where to get off, cos it's none of their concern!!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
good thing I dont have a facebook

I would love to see how much they dont believe me when I tell them that.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
Oh just wait for the time when not having a Facebook Account is going to make you look like you have something to hide by not having one. You'll be branded as untrustworthy and suspious.

If your old I guess you really don't give a crap who knows what. You know how old people are. They will say anything. I don't give a crap because there so old whose going to tell them anything. There so old what cha going do? lol Unless your a bunch of ole men from GA planning to throw ricin out a window going down the highway. They'll come and get you but hell that would go for anyone doing something like that.

So maybe one day it's just old people on FB because there too old to care....lol

Young people will need to become professional hackers so they can protect there privacy.

Hint: If you can learn the system. You can beat it.

Ah that's exactly what they are pushing people to do... They come up with stuff like this then people go on the net and start searching about "computer security" and slowly get into it then for those that has enough braincells to make sense of all they'll find will soon become addicted...

Then they have another future security guru to worry from in a 4-5 years from now...

The trick here is they CANNOT ask you for your password but what they do is have you login your facebook while a keylogger is running and it snatch it right away...

I'd cut a deal with them... I'll log in mine here first and soon as I get home I'll log in yours sucker how about that...

Anyone considered the possibility of having pedophiles and sex predators on their staff that has the kids credentials??? I mean this is INSANE intel for a psychopath...

I can see it happening...

-Psychopath log on facebook... finds a child that just has a fight with his parents and says he's going somewhere for some air...
-Psychopath goes there and initate conversation on how parents are stupid and don't understand kids...
-Kid fall for it... kid disappear...

-Police looks at facebook and figure the kid ran away so they look in all the wrong directions while the gets being buried somewhere in a dark corner...

Do these f**** people think with something else then their asses sometimes??? GAWDDDD....

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

State agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

redtape.msnbc.msn.com

If you think privacy settings on your Facebook and Twitter accounts guarantee future employers or schools can't see your private posts, guess again.
Employers and colleges find the treasure-trove of personal information hiding behind password-protected accounts and privacy walls just too tempting, and some are demanding full access from job applicants and student athletes.
In Maryland, job seekers applying to the state's Department of Corrections have been asked during interviews to log in
(visit the link for the full news article)

All the more reason to stay off the mainstream social networking sites.

Running Diaspora on your own server is the ONLY way to go.

link:
diasporaproject.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
this is by far the biggest shameless and disgusting act i've read about during the recent days. bigwigs no longer feel the urge to play politically correct anymore, masks are totally off. seems the world is evolving towards orwell's 1984 pretty faster than expected eh? the only way to avoid this is to keep away from facebook, twitter, etc. and to use a completely bogus google (gmail) acct. solely for the purpose of accessing youtube if you want to keep a channel there.

runners of the sites like facebook are n a win win situation, they keep a substantial repository of private info worldwide, plus make crazy amounts of cash over that. i see only one loser in this situation, that being the poor lil user of course. just shut down your acct. or don't sign up for one in the first place. just rain on their parade.
edit on 7-3-2012 by jamsession because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by A-Dub

yeah, plus, they give one "the look".
they're that much into owning a fb account by default, see? that's truly sad.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Lets not forget this is a state agency, not federal.

And yes, agencies do break first amendment rights, knowingly or not.

Or there wouldn't be the DOL or the DOJ to handle these problems.

You have corrupt police, corrupt fire departments, corrupt state agencies. But they usually reveal themselves eventually.

That is why it is so important for people to know their rights so they can say: what you are doing is illegal, and I am reporting you.

This not only goes for interviews, this goes for OSHA. Its amazing how many people don't report hazardous conditions.

A friend of mine got asked if she had chidlren during an interview, and she answered. She had no idea they are not allowed to ask that.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This is why you set up 2 accounts. One you do all your dirt and the other is where you can be friends with people from work and behave yourself. Its sad its come to this but we have allowed it to get to this point.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by AussieDingus
Here's 2 possible solutions to the problem................

1. Don't use Facebook in the first place ?

2. Give them your current password and immediately go and change it to a new one ?

Just a thought !

Create a fake account. Simple as that. Thousands do it already...it's not that hard.

If they catch you on your real account and demand access to it, sue them for invasive discrimination.

That way, you can afford a college that ISN'T anal retentive about these things...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmotley
This is why you set up 2 accounts. One you do all your dirt and the other is where you can be friends with people from work and behave yourself. Its sad its come to this but we have allowed it to get to this point.

I'm still waiting for Anonymous to build the Anon-net...an underground version of the Internet that is impervious to filters and domain-snatching.

I really doubt it will happen, considering the vast network of servers and extreme coding skills required to stay ahead of the game...but a nerd can hope.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The answer is No and neither are you allowed to ask for personal information of this nature. I will be reporting this incident to authorities.

Thank you

Have a nice day.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have two facebooks.

I have one that I use for family and professional contacts..

.. and then I have the one I actually use.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
That is completely illegal. I am sure we will see this in court soon.
edit on 6-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

Totally illegal. It's like them asking you to leave your back door unlocked so they can come watch you while you sleep at night. Why would you consent to that?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Facebook is a public space tied to your name and face if you do not provide false info. People should be aware of that before they start sharing any information on it, or liking Volkssturm sites or any such.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissPoovey
I also killed my facebook account years ago. 2006 I think.
Recently I bought a smartphone. Then found out it was all "googled up" and returned it. Then after figuring out how to prevent most of the google following, repurchased the phone.
Now I am amazed at the privacy rules on the Ap's. I have no Applications because I refuse to allow the Ap. to know everything and do everything.
The most innocent application wants to be allowed to know all my contacts, be able to adjust my settings and control my phone remotely... what is up with that?
Sorry... did not mean to derail the thread.

I posted about this in the "STOP SOPA" thread a while ago that detailed the boycott SOPA app and how the barcode scanner wanted access to everything on your phone, read and write access. Everyone ignored me when I pointed it out. Even people on ATS don't check their permissions on the aps they blindly download.

I deleted my facebook account a few months ago, after years of inactivity. It freaks me out.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join