It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world 'ended' 7 months ago

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks
Im pretty sure that the people who decoded the Mayan calendar and matched it with our own would have accounted for leap years, if not, well, they didn't do their job and whoever researched the Mayan calendar that brought about the date should be ashamed.

Im confident that they did account for leap years though, unless you can prove otherwise.

I'm sorry but your 'confidence' is not proof. U would need to supply the very same proof that you claim you need. Because your 'confidence' is not proof - it is an assumption.

I'm not trying to be a pain - but you simply do not know that they did account for Leap Year ... you actually hope that they did -- unless you can offer specific proof ....???
edit on 3/5/2012 by jjbreen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
OP this is impossible, I've had pizza since then.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
dont have my copy of immanuel velikovskis worlds in collision here with me but its got a great piece in it about the ancient races having 360 days in a year as 360 days in a circle the chinese HAD 365 .if you read it check the bit out about march 23rd -767 bce . as lara croft in tomb raider says today is not a good day 2 gregorian callendar act feb 24th 1585 minus 1 year because the muslims were pulling the p about the year 0 . 1753 added 12 ? DAYS TO YEAR TO make buildings allign with summer & winter solstice .i think all the temples in egypt at 1 time had to be moved to sort out this problem

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

This is an untrue statement. The central calendar to the Maya was the haab. This only consisted of 365 days. As a result over the years their months stopped matching up with the seasons they were named after. Their other major calendar, the tzolkin, was 260 days and was strictly used to determine the days on which religious ceremonies would be held. It had no basis in celestial motions.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
While I don't support 2012 theories, the claims in the OP are bull. The Long Count, as the name implies is simply a count of days. Therefore if you can match up a Long Count date with a date on our own calendar you can then match up every other date. The way this was done was by looking at a number of different sources. These were archaeological, historical, and astronomical. For example a comet witnessed by the Maya is going to be witnessed on the same day by the Europeans. Therefore, if we can find archaeological or historical records from the Maya that depict this event and associate it with a Long Count date we can then take that Long Count date and covert it to a Gregorian calendar date based on European records of the same event. From there all one has to do is count.

Of course the actual correlation is a little bit more complicated than this. It wasn't based on a single event or record. It does however help that the beginning of the Long Count is associated with a celestial event.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by violence=answer
reply to post by jNormal

if you think that the gregorian calender goes back that far (to ceaser),
and leap year (which is still pretty new in our calender)
minus the 7 year margin of general error that our calender has,
and the make up for our own lack of leap year since our calenders creation,
and it (our calender) is based on a date that not one person is sure of.

it is the gregorian calender that is wrong, not the mayan calenders (plural)

and btw, the mayans did know about the .25 of a day left over and made up for it in 2 of their caleners at least.

how can the mayan calender end if its a series of circles?

maybe pope gregory found the end of a circle lol
edit on 5-3-2012 by violence=answer because: leap year make up time travel

Actually can you supply a valid link for that? Because when I GOOGLED:

the mayans did know about the .25 of a day left over and made up for it in 2 of their caleners
(I corrected the "caleners" to "calendar")

Funny thing I can find nothing that supports your post, but other Blog Forums and Conspiracy Boards .. which basically wind up going circular .. w/no real valid independent source.

So if you have one ...> I would honestly love to see it.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimithae
reply to post by jNormal

The Mayan calendar has been shown to be more accurate than our own. Therefore that doesn't hold up.But good thinking anyway.

Actually that is not true. You would have to sight which calendar was accurate? They had a 'few' .... so which one?
Right now I have seen that they had at least 2 - 4 different calendars. But the evidence is clear -- they did not have just one (1) ... so which one was 'more accurate' ?????

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Agreed. To my knowledge they referred to the "End Of Time" Time specifically.

One can ponder the definition of time in this context for aeons

I think it means we reach a point where the concept of time alters because of X,Y,Z reasons.

Basically they have words for Armageddon etc. But they choose the distinct word "Time"
edit on 6-3-2012 by Mandrakerealmz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
it's my understanding that the mayan calendar is using the position of the planets, sun and stars, and so, it doesn't matter just what calendar we are using or how accurate it is, since such things have no power over the movement of the celestrial bodies!
could be wrong, but don't think so!

gee, you had my hopes up so much....guess I got to go get ready for another day of fun fun at work!!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
just remembered no year 666 in the christian calender
edit on 6-3-2012 by geobro because: spelling im dyslexikkkkk

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by geobro

en.wikipedia.org...

this seems to day differently???

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Ha! It's about time someone said it.
I always knew that was the real reason behind it.
I have friends who believe it went like this:
1st Mayan: I just finished the calendar. It does up to 2012.
2nd Mayan: Why stop then?
1st Mayan: I figured the civilization that replaces us would know how to make calendars by then.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

ive got a scroll from masonic lodge that says year is a lot different . all depends on your perspective .the jews consider the day from sunset not sunrise .

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jNormal
There have been about 514 leap years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without an extra day every 4 years, today would be July 28th 2013. Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap years.
So if anything was going to happen it would've happened 7 months ago?

The Mayans measure time based on the orbit of Venus, and not our orbit around the Sun. They didn't have a leap year, they had a leap week every 7 years.

So yes, when historians translated the calender, they were aware of the leap year in the calender that they would have translated into. Our calender is inaccurate, not the Mayan calender.

So long story short; the Mayan calender doesn't have a leap year. Good try though.
edit on 6-3-2012 by badconduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by badconduct

While the Maya did have a calendar designed to track the movements of Venus it was not one of their day to day calendars. It was more used to determine the ideal time to go to war. The two calendars that were used most were the haab, which is based off the orbit of the Earth around the Sun (although it only had 365 days thus less accurate than our modern calendar) and the tzolkin, which was 260 days long and based around religious ceremonies. Together these composed the 52 year long Calendar Round. So far from what I've seen the claims regarding the "Mayan calendar" being more accurate than our own is fantasy created by New Age authors. You should be clued into the fact that these "researchers" have no idea what their talking about from the fact that they always refer to the "Mayan calendar." They had many calendars used to measure different things. The truth is though that our calendar, which is a solar calendar, is more accurate than their solar calendar, the haab.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

edit on 6-3-2012 by godfather420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Shameless bump

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by godfather420

The Long Count is not a lunar calendar. As the name implies it is a count of days. The primary calendars used by the Maya were the haab, the solar calendar, and the tzolkin, the ceremonial calendar. Used together they formed the Calendar Round. Since the Calendar Round repeated every 52 years they Maya needed something to keep track of distant future and past dates. Thus, the Long Count was born. It's base unit is the k'in which corresponds to a single day. 20 k'in equaled a winal. This is the exact number of days in a month on the haab. 18 winals equaled a tun, or 360 days. This is the exact number of days in a year in the haab minus the five unnamed days at the end of the year. When one breaks the Long Count down into its different units it's quite clear that it was based on the haab, which, once again, was a solar calendar. However, its purpose was not to track the movement of the Earth or the heavens. It's purpose was to merely track time.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Lol well I have changed it before the post goes sour.

I thought it was lunar at least, unisolar because of the relation to venus and I have had a formed opinion for awhile, but am now finding out a little more. Anyhow thanks for pointing that out for me, at least this still gets at the main claim, and maybe makes someone fact check before re-posting all over.

Whew

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by godfather420

The thing is the Maya also had calendars that tracked the Moon and Venus. Although it doesn't appear that they had much timekeeping purpose. The Lunar calendar was simply used to track the cycles of the Moon, much as we do today. The Venus calendar was used in a more astrological way with leaders preferring to go to war only when Venus was in certain positions. There's also the Lords of the Night calendar but I'm still not quite sure what exactly the purpose of it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join