It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-Class Solar Flare. (just happened)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Looks like the sun is starting to act up again. Can't wait for more information on this flare.

www.spaceweather.com...

X-FLARE: Earth orbiting satellites have just detected an X1-class solar flare from sunspot AR1429. The flare peaked at 0413 UTC on March 5th. Stay tuned for updates.

This is the sunspot that created the flare. It is four times the size of the earth.

I will update when more information is available.
edit on 4/3/12 by usmc0311 because: added content.

edit on 4/3/12 by usmc0311 because: changed title.

Also this same spot gave off an M-Class flare on March 2nd.

The sunspot has a 'beta-gamma' magnetic field that harbors energy for strong M-class solar flares. Indeed, it has already unleashed an M3-class eruption on March 2nd, that created mild waves of ionization in the atmosphere over Europe.

edit on 4/3/12 by usmc0311 because: added content.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

According to NOAA, it barely reached X-class. Looks like it should pass behind Earth. We may get glanced, but this isn't a killer flare. It couldn't hurt to keep an eye on solar data for the next few days though.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
How are they able to tell that is 4x the size of earth?
Doesn't look like it. Just looks like a small sun spot.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
We have new solar flare X 1 class from same sunspot group 1429, March 05 - 04:00 UTC

CME is not Earth directed

sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

edit on 4-3-2012 by lover088 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

This came from the spot turning twoards the earth so we will see. I would at least like to see some good auroras here where I live, but I hope that will be the extent of it. Thanks for posting that data.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Their able to tell by taking the size of the sun compared to the earth and then comparing that to the size of the spot. I believe but I'm not sure that the average size is 1-4 earth sizes, but I could be wrong. The larger they are the larger the flare potential becomes.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Well, no crisis on the X-1 strength, but it has been downright quiet lately. Almost like it's been sleeping or something. The GOES charts have been downright boring. If nothing else, a bump into the X range shows it's waking up again, anyway. Perhaps we'll see more in the coming days.....just not TOO big. People here will kill me for saying it if it burps an X-20 tomorrow or something.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lover088

Thanks for adding the links, and the video. That was pretty wicked looking. Our sun is so cool and it is just getting better by the day.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

WOW!!!! That this is big. It's also beautiful.

That looked intense.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I just hope that this thing doesn't grow any bigger in size as it turns our way. It has been strangely quiet lately. Enough to puzzle people that's for sure. We will see what this thing has in store for us in the coming days.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Thanks for posting that. So cool looking. I was just checking youtube to see if those were on there yet. Usually people put that stuff up pretty quickly. Amazing how fast things go on the internet.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
lol dodging CME's is like spitting from car to car at freeway speed. very small window to make a hit

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Lets give it some scale:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by omegacorps

Lets just hope we don't have one hit us full on. One of these days it is going to happen. We can only hope that it will be a lower numbered x-class when it happens.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Thanks for posting that. That should clear things up. It's amazing to think how large our sun, and solar system is. Just think about what a sun spot the size of Jupiter could do.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

So, I'm just curious. How did our Sun, ever get to be that big of size? And why do the other planets get to be bigger than ours? I mean how did they get so big? How come the Earth isn't growing as large as those planets?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I just found this and thought others may find it interesting. It appears the spot you're worried about is a complex one with a lot going on compared to the others. This is a little slow in that the segment for CME history ought to be red too...but it shows a lot of info. The color coding is a link below the solar map image which opens the panel explaining section coloration of each event area.

A bit more detail on sun spots and numbered areas

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for that link. Very informative. I had never seen that site before. Now I have it bookmarked for future use. I exspecially like how they label the sunspots with the different data.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

The mass of the Sun is what keeps us in orbit. If it wasn't for the Sun, plants couldn't survive, and also we would have no oxygen to breathe. There are many theories about the planets. Some say debris clumped up, blah blah... It's just crazy how the moon can match up exactly with Sun to create an eclipse. What are the chances of that considering the size difference and our perspective from earth. It's almost like it was placed there... I believe some of the stuff Alex Collier says is true, I just don't know how much... Some of the stuff he says is off the wall. But supposedly we were seeded by more than 20 races of beings. All I can believe in is Yeshua(Jesus) the rest is too confusing sometimes. Forgot to mention, our Sun is supposedly small. Its a huge ball of energy... Just picture everything in metaphors and everything is connected, it helps explain some things. Interesting how the Sun is the greatest source of energy we have. And the SON , is also the greatest source of energy for most believers in Christ. I know the majority of the world aren't Christians, just interesting how beings messed with our languages. There is proof of this in the Bible. Look up the tower of Babel.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Mattodlum because: added some stuff

edit on 5-3-2012 by Mattodlum because: Typo

edit on 5-3-2012 by Mattodlum because: I stink at spelling lol

edit on 5-3-2012 by Mattodlum because: same again grammer error

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join