It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As many as 693 large collapses [sinkholes] found in central China town

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
693 sinkholes? Is that normal? Is that something to worry about? And apparently not just sinkholes but some walls of houses are cracking.
I know this is hardly a write-up so I'm going to do some research into this matter.

Thousands of local residents were affected by the cover-collapse sinkholes that occurred in the Yuejia Town, Yiyang City of central China’s Hunan Province.

Reportedly, as many as 693 collapses related with karst have been found as of February 24 in the town, which have resulted in damage to the locals’ houses, farmlands, and riverbeds, and posed a threat to the safety and living condition of locals too. Check out the stunning pictures below.

www.chinabuzz.net...
edit on 29-2-2012 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-2-2012 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
What caused these to form?
I have to wonder if this isn't due to some kind of weather warfare; perhaps a test of some sort and an indication of things to come for China.
After all, isn't China set to have the strongest economy in the world in just a few years?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Probably due to all the underground tunneling. I have read a couple of times that china has underground aspects to the country that rival or are greater than the great wall of China. If I was china with the manpower and all the land that is exactly what I would do.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I have no sinkhole savvy so I do NOT know if this is typical or not but in trying to find out some more info on these sinkholes in China, I stumbled on this. I have no idea what to make of it. Anyone?

I apologize in messin' up a photo or two with the right caption. It's too much hassle to fix becauseI want to try to learn more about this China sink-age.

Sinkholes (Feb 2012)

(Feb 27) A sinkhole opened up on Monday afternoon in a Denver intersection. The hole at 11th Avenue and Corona Street is next to the crosswalk on Corona Stree

(Feb 27) Summers Street between Virginia and Quarrier in Charleston, West Virginia will be closed to through traffic during the day because of damage to a sewer line caused by a sinkhole.

(Feb 27) Road crews were working to repair a sinkhole on I-94 eastbound near the Stadium Interchange in Milwakee, Wisconsin on Monday night.

(Feb 27) A water main break early Sunday morning caused a massive sinkhole near the intersection of Institute and First streets in downtown Jamestown, New York

Feb 26) A big hole formed in Yuejiaqiao Town, Yiyang City of central China’s Hunan Province. In the past three years, 550 pits of various sizes have formed in this province

Feb 22) A sinkhole in Hillary Hutchinson’s West Ashley yard in Charleston, South Carolina is about 5 feet deep and 3 to 4 feet in diameter, and it continues to grow.

(Feb 22) A sinkhole is threatening to swallow a house in Bristol, Connecticut. The Michauds’ first floor is caving in and the main structural beam seems to be shifting.Engineers who looked at the house told the Michauds it appears to be the fault of a sinkhole underneath.

(Feb 18) A motorist died after he fell into an enormous sinkhole at a subway construction site in Incheon, South Korea

(Feb 24) After the discovery of a sinkhole in Dumanjug town, stirring up residents in nearby towns, another sinkhole was discovered – this time in Sitio Carpo, Barangay Casay, this town, authorities said. (Source) (Feb 18) Part of a farm in Cebu City, Philippines collapsed, creating a big sinkhole, which authorities believe was caused by the earthquake that struck Central Visayas nearly two weeks ago. The sinkhole formed early Friday morning but at that time it was only as big as a cauldron. The soil in the farm became soft after a week of incessant rain soil and collapsed a bit during an aftershock. Apart from Barangay Camboang, Dumanjug town, sinkholes were found in more than a dozen places.

Feb 17) A sinkhole is developing on the intersection of Northfield Avenue and Valley Road in West Orange, New Jersey.

(Feb 17) Northbound lanes of Summers Street in Charleston, South Carolina were shut down shortly before noon Friday when a sinkhole opened up. The hole was about 3 feet by 4 feet long, and reached about 8 feet deep.

Feb 17) A sinkhole started forming in the backyard of Billy Banks in Clayton County, Georgia about a year ago. Now it’s nearly 4 feet deep.

(Feb 17) After a big rain storm, a small crack formed and now has turned into a sinkhole nearly 20 feet deep — more than big enough to swallow a few cars. in Austin, Texas. (Source)

(Feb 16) A sinkhole at an airport in Wise, Virginia was first spotted in December as a pilot was taxiing down the runway. Airport officials quickly closed that portion of the airport and are now awaiting test results to see how extensive the damage is. (Source)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Not just China. All over the place!
I know sinkholes are nothing new but does anyone know the annual average? And the average diameter?

Feb 10, 2012
Massive sinkhole a diameter of 25 meters and a depth of 40 meters was formed in the middle of a field of three communities Buen Abrigo, Coyote and Los Ángeles near the city of Matamoros.
The edge of the pit continuously fall, and consequently a danger is imminent. Pablo Рангэль, a local resident, still not forgotten the night, 15 days ago, when was formed this crater: "Thundered an hour and a half, I thought that the hills were crumbling, the noise was very strong... ", - he assures.
To date, the authorities have not explained the incident.

www.elsiglodetorreon.com.mx...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It is absolutely just a theory, but I remember reading an article a couple of years ago about the fact that china is building the worlds biggest reservoir. The article stated the the weight displaced by the volume of water in the reservoir would cause sinkholes worldwide, basicallydue to underground pressure changes caused by said displacement.

I thought it was interesting, but far-fetched, at the time, and shrugged it off. Now I'm not so sure.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
There's some good photos there. Sinkholes are common in areas with Karst topography, but can often be caused by humans due to leaking or damaged water and sewer pipes or other underground infrastructure. We are likely to see a significant increase in sinkholes caused by man in the future due to the deterioration of water/sewer systems around the world as they begin to age.

It should be noted that sinkholes were very rarely reported in anything other than local publications in the past, but we now get to see such events occurring all around the world thanks to this depository of information known as the internet. This along with the increase in underground infrastructure is bound to lead to an increase in people's perception of sink hole occurrences, but I'm not sure if there has been any actual increase in the natural ones.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I thought this would get a lot more replies. So is this no big deal then?

And yes. Perhaps China might be explainable in man-caused theoretical way but what about the other areas? Do these many sinkholes happen that often?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Very reasonable and thought provoking post. Thank you

You may be correct. Perhaps this isn't often reported unless it happens in a fairly populated area.
My thoughts are...if this is the results of what man did earlier, I can't imagine what this world will be like in the very near future. We are destroying this planet because I don't think we're meant to do what we keep on doing.
And it's getting worse because now they play with CERN and HAARP.

If this is the fallout from man's deeds....and we know what asbestos and fluoride (just to name two) has done, are we REALLY in that good of hands here?
We're not getting smarter. We're getting greedier!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This thread is AWESOME! Thanks, we need a place to put all the sinkholes!

S & F for you! Thanks for the pics, but the link in the op is not working for me right now.
I hope that it's just my internet.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Yeah same here brother.
I really enjoy your threads.
Very crazy stuff ideed. I just can't help but feel that something's comin'.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I think that this happens because the water table under the ground in these underground streams are drained away. In China they are severely short on running water supplies. They have to continue to get water from further away sources.

This seems to be happening more frequently. maybe just perception, but I think it's a little more than that.
edit on 29-2-2012 by theclutch because: edit spelling

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Yeah, well, there is a possibility that if those maps are accurate, that North America will be the remnants of the new Lemuria, so like New Zealand/Australia and Fiji Islands, just parts left.

And would that mean other area rise again, I saw the plates in a dream once, going up and down.

NEW WORLD MAP AFTER 2012

Timeline possibilities, we can't merge with another timeline realm but, more love and kindness, plus envisioning a good one, can bring our frequency higher here.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Very reasonable and thought provoking post. Thank you

You may be correct. Perhaps this isn't often reported unless it happens in a fairly populated area.
My thoughts are...if this is the results of what man did earlier, I can't imagine what this world will be like in the very near future

Thanks

I thought I should also mention that we not only cause sinkholes by underground infrastructure, but also by altering the natural groundwater table. This is especially evident in Mexico City, as it is built on an old lake bed. The lake has since drained, and the groundwater is being taken out faster than it is being replenished, so the water level is dropping. This is causing some extreme subsidence, along with localised sinkholes as the clay soils lose moisture. It is certainly not the kind of place I would want to live.

Land subsidence

The city rests on the heavily-saturated clay of the former Lake Texoco. This soft base is collapsing due to the over-extraction of groundwater. Land subsidence in Mexico City caused by groundwater overexploitation during the last hundred years has been up to 9 meters, resulting in damages to buildings, streets, sidewalks, sewers, storm water drains and other infrastructure. The collapse in the central region of the city reached 10m at the end of the 20th century, while in the sub-basin Chalco-Xochimilco, it reached 7m. Current subsidence rates lie between five and 40 cm/year.
Water management in Greater Mexico City

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Maybe its due to China finding out some things other super power sknow and they are diggin below surface a couple hundred feet to secure them some D.U.M.B.s also or their using some new energy form thats effecting the surface... interesting holes.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I just got back from a trip to Tulum, Mexico and visited numerous cenotes or sinkholes. They are very common and beautiful to swim in.

Cenote

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
I just got back from a trip to Tulum, Mexico and visited numerous cenotes or sinkholes. They are very common and beautiful to swim in.

Cenote

We used to call them swimming holes in upstate New York. I assumed they were created thousands if not millions of years ago. Not last week!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Cenote

We used to call them swimming holes in upstate New York. I assumed they were created thousands if not millions of years ago. Not last week!

I am sure some were, but they all have to be created sometime right?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Cenote

But are they created naturally throughout time or does something help form them? Are they created due to a situation?...an event?
Can maybe this occur let's say.....every 3600 years? Or do hundreds of them form every week and we're just not aware of them?

We know so little about so much.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Cenote

But are they created naturally throughout time or does something help form them? Are they created due to a situation?...an event?
Can maybe this occur let's say.....every 3600 years? Or do hundreds of them form every week and we're just not aware of them?

We know so little about so much.

I am pretty sure there are a lot of them that are still undiscovered. They are more likely to be discovered by divers that swim through one and find another than walking around and happening upon one. Don't know the answer to your questions but I quoted text from wikipedia below on the formation of cenotes. I am sure there are plenty of reasons why such as earthquakes and whatnot.

From Wikipedia:

Formation Cenotes are formed by dissolution of rock and the resulting subsurface void, which may or may not be linked to an active cave system, and the subsequent structural collapse of the rock ceiling above the void. Rock that falls into the water below is slowly removed by further dissolution, creating space for more collapse blocks. The rate of collapse increases during periods when the water table is below the ceiling of the void, since the rock ceiling is no longer buoyantly supported by the water in the void. Cenotes may be fully collapsed creating an open water pool, or partially collapsed with some portion of a rock overhang above the water. The stereotypical cenotes often resemble small circular ponds, measuring some tens of meters in diameter with sheer drops at the edges. Most cenotes, however, require some degree of stooping if not crawling to access the water.

edit on 3/5/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join