It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel Not Possible.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
i believe tim travel is real because Einstein said that if you bend light, you also bend space and time(The Philadelphia experiment)

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'm travelling through time right now...2:56....2:57....
As for time travel, the math seems to only allow for time travel in an energy state, but of course, if such were possible, as well as the reintegration of said energy into solid matter, then who knows?

But then you've got those pesky questions of paradox, etc....

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
GAZY can u check out my thread post anmy ideas or anything, i feel unluved sorry for this unneccisary post, but i think time travel maybe possiple, there was a show on time travel which i unfortunately didn't see, a guy supposively sent music through time, but for matter im not sure

SMR

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BangorangRufio
I always thought that you couldn't go back to before the time machine was built because you would have nothing to go back to. I mean, the machine would not exist, therefore you couldn't go back to it. So unless someone built a time machine in 1969, and it still works today, they won't be seeing Hendrix play at Woodstock.

I stated this same question in the John Titor:Hoax thread

Originally posted by SMR
Could it be as simple as asking,is even possible to go BACK to a time in which the 'time machine' did not even exsist?
I could see going FORWARD as the 'machine' has been created and therefore keeps exsisting.

I still stand by this idea.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Time travel is illogical, both in the single universe and in the multiverse version. In the multiple version, we have the same paradox as in the single universe version (kill your own grandfather? then how do you exist?) , since one can go to the original universe but back in time indirectly by using an intermediate universe.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
(kill your own grandfather? then how do you exist?)

you would still exist because if your grandfather never had your parent who never had you who never killed your grandfather. i feel it is imposible to go back into the past because you would change some tiny little thing, it could lead to you never actually traveling in time. i think the idea of time travel is stupid and impossible. whats the point of it anyways? even if john titor did come back and tell us about the "second civil war" what makes him think that he will still be a "time traveler" after telling so many people. its a dumb idea and its never going to happen.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   

The weird thing is that if you were able to travel at the speed of light you would go back in time but if your speed was greater than the speed of light you would go into the future.

ummmmmmm....it's the other way around. It might work for Star Trek, but if you were to go FTL, you'd end up in the past and very far away. You could always try and attach information on a Tachyon. A wormhole big enough for you to step thru would call for enormous energy requirements, but what requirements would you need to open up a wormhole on the Quantum scale?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
my brother's theory on time travel to the past is that "past time" isnt saved so there is no way to go back to it. but if the multi-universe theory that john titor explains is true than it very well might be. he explains it as a sphere with a point in the middle with an infinite amount of "time" lines spiraling out. so if it is a "line" than i picture each line having an infinite aamount of points in time saved onto it.
haha

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

my brother's theory on time travel to the past is that "past time" isnt saved so there is no way to go back to it.

u mean the past IS saved. because if it wasnt saved it would seem that it is possible to go back in it. i think the past is saved and the future hasnt happened so the future could be possible maybee. who knows.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You can absolutley see the past as long as that past event produced energy. We see the past everytime we look at the sun or the moon.
We even see billions of years into the past when we look at stars.

If you did travel to the past and kill your father before you were born you would return to a future that happend without you and no one would know you. You would not be effected because when you traveled to the past you removed yourself from history. So to travel into the past you would need to figure out how to remove yourself from time.

I think ther is only one timeline, but if you removed yourself from it by traveling into the past then you would still exist but your past would not exist. Only you would remember you.

You can change the timeline, but not create new ones.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I do not think that time travel is possible nor will it ever be possible...

just my opinion.

SMR

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Perhaps another reason is that The Langoliers really exsist

Maybe there is something 'eating' up time as it goes by.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
time travel is not possible because for one "time" doesnt exist...also if you go back in "time" and try to change something like assasinate hitler you erase the reason for going back in time which cancels out your "time travel" into the past in the first place...infinite loop. The only way you could really see the future or the past is if you could calculate the velocities and trajectories of every particle of matter in the universe in a uncomprehensible supercomputer and predict how everything will react with everything. (like a universe sized billiard game) Matter cannot be created or destroyed...but can it go missing?...maybe there is a demention that a human could open and pass through then return many years later or earlier but its unlike, but to make a tear more than a few atoms wide and for more than a second would require more energy then there is in the universe so dontlook for frabic tearers on the market every. lol Time travel would make existense so chaotic...people would get stuck in infinite loops...and others would disappear and reapear instantly and noone would relise it....the entire earth would change istantaniously / infinitely every second. bleh ok im done. lol

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
You can absolutley see the past as long as that past event produced energy. We see the past everytime we look at the sun or the moon.
We even see billions of years into the past when we look at stars.

this statement is crap, your talking about the speed of light right? because the speed of light has nothing to do with time travel, the only reason you seeing what happened millions of years ago is because of speed of light. of course

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
If the multiverse theory is correct then that means at every given point of time, an infinite number of choices are being played out. Thus you can go back in time to kill your own granfather but that would only prevent your birth in that same universe.

BTW I suggest you guys read "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku. Its a very good read

[edit on 27-9-2004 by Ethereal Visage]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join